Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 9 Jun 2020, 13:44 (Ref:3980985)   #26
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
The Indy 500 is thrilling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIUezKeqOkk
Old 9 Jun 2020, 13:56 (Ref:3980986)   #27
JacobP
Racer

JacobP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender View Post
I used to be an F1 fan when it was exciting,but now days its as dull as ditch water.

Old and tired argument. Please. When did you watch F1, in 1970s or 60s before quitting?

Nowadays, people complain about the dominance of Mercedes team and their lead driver Hamilton, somehow forgetting that right before the Mercedes dominance, Vettel won four freaking consecutive championship titles for RedBull. In 2013 everybody was getting sick of Vettel. Of course, during the RedBull-Vettel dominance, people ALSO complained that F1 is not the way it used to be before, somehow forgetting that Ferrari won six unprecedented consecutive championships between 1999 and 2004, and that their lead driver won the unprecedented five consecutive driver titles in 2000-2004. When Schumacher was winning, people complained that the racing is not the same as in 1990s, but wait most of 90s was dominated by the Williams team (who did change its drivers between seasons like we change underwear). People sick of Williams dominance proudly recalled the 1980s, when the "real" racing happened, but somehow forgetting how McLaren won most of championships in the 80s.
Old 9 Jun 2020, 17:20 (Ref:3981012)   #28
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobP View Post
I have been a Formula 1 fan since 2010, I think I haven't missed a race, and I honestly don't know why anyone _must_ watch IndyCar in addition to F1. There are weekends in between those two week or three week long breaks between F1 races when there isn't much else to watch, and then I guess I can watch an IndyCar race, although I personally would advise the bored, but nonetheless time limited, people to catch a MotoGP race instead. Now, _that_ is really exciting.

The quality of IndyCar racing nowadays is of course subpar to F1. Notice how IndyCar dropped standing race starts? That's because Indy drivers can't start a race from stand without at least one of them stalling on the track. They just can't do it. It was a disaster when they tried it.

There used to be a time, 20-40 years ago, when IndyCar had lots of quality drivers, and top Formula 1 teams could hire a young IndyCar driver straight into a top F1 car seat. There were too many to mention. F1 champions without any feeling of embarrassment switched between F1 and IndyCar at will. But today, do you see any F1 teams hiring an IndyCar driver? No. Do you see even a mid-level F1 driver switching to IndyCar? No of course. They used to go to DTM, WEC, and the like. These days, many of F1 dropouts end up in Formula E. Almost no one comes to IndyCar (and please don't mention Alonso, the guy tried to race ONLY in Indy 500, not the whole season).

What are the other reasons IndyCar sucks? How about up to seven full course cautions on a road track? Guys, please. If somebody was foolish enough to lose his car to kitty litter, then just continue the race. Don't stop the whole f-ing race for ten minutes just so the sob's car can be rescued back to the race track, restarted, and joined back into the race two laps down. Ridiculous.
There's a lot of generalising and conjecture, coupled with very little knowledge about IndyCar and to a certain extent F1, which is a little surprising as you say you've been following F1 for 10 years.

I think most people who follow both F1 and IndyCar will fundamentally disagree with IndyCar racing being sub par to F1, for a variety of reasons. The fact IndyCar also races on ovals and F1 doesn't, makes it difficult to compare.

Using standing starts is not a good example as IndyCar doesn't used them. Iirc the last time IndyCar tried a standing start was in 2014, at the inaugural IndyCar GP on the Indy road coarse, when pole sitter Saavedra stalled as the lights went out and his car was hit by Munoz and Aleshin, showering the track with carbon-fibre and forcing a restart. I've seen some disastrous starts in F1, with drivers stalling on the grid. I remember the 1982 Canadian GP, in which Riccardo Paletti was killed on the starting grid. Therefore to say, Indy drivers can't start a race from stand without at least one of them stalling on the track, is a sweeping generalisation and is no more true of IndyCar drivers as it is of F1 drivers. They tried standing starts in Champ Car, without any problem. I think to dismiss rolling starts out of hand, without understanding why IndyCar uses the rolling start in the first place, seems very narrow minded.

IndyCar has quality drivers. Within the last 25 years, the only top CART/IndyCar drivers to go to a top F1 team were Jacques Villeneuve and J-P Montoya and they both went to Williams. I don't know where you get the idea there were too many to mention? Today things have changed, with regards to hiring drivers as sponsors and teams, like Mercedes and Red Bull have their own driver programmes and as they are based in Europe, those driver programmes will be Eurocentric, what with the various junior formulas racing in Europe. Drivers are coming to IndyCar. There are four rookie drivers this season and F1 refugees Ericsson and Rosenqvist, came over last season; Alonso never had any intention of competing in a full season.

With regards to FCYs, F1 has it's share of unnecessary caution periods and overly long stints by the SC and if they do have to stop the race because someone's car is stuck, which is a rare thing, then I think erring on the side of caution is preferable to another car ploughing into the one stuck in the gravel trap.
Old 9 Jun 2020, 20:07 (Ref:3981038)   #29
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I like F1 because it isn't IndyCar; I like IndyCar because it isn't the WEC; I like the WEC because of Le Mans; I like Le Mans because hellwhynotitsawsome; and I like club and historic and saloon and touring car and GT racing too despite liking F1.

I guess I just like racing.

What I don't like is endless hair-splitting about why this-is-better-than-that and DriverA-is-obviously-better-than-DriverB because Just Look At His Hat, or whatever the spurious argument of the day is.

To answer the OP's question:

Try it. You might like it. Just don't expect it to be, or compare it with, the things you already like because it isn't them.
Old 11 Jun 2020, 15:47 (Ref:3981373)   #30
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
I like F1 because it isn't IndyCar; I like IndyCar because it isn't the WEC; I like the WEC because of Le Mans; I like Le Mans because hellwhynotitsawsome; and I like club and historic and saloon and touring car and GT racing too despite liking F1.

Pretty much agree with that, I guess I'm just addicted and as Coppice commented above, I've been present at a race meeting most weekends somewhere since the mid 60's including several European circuits and even Daytona for the opening round of the NASCAR series. There is absolutely no comparison between attending a live race meeting and TV coverage IMHO but then again it depends how much you want to put into it; most of my live spectating starts way before the actual event with travel and possible accommodation plans and event timings and entry lists, it becomes immersive. The live atmoshere of a race meeting and for me that includes 2 wheels as well as 4, the paddock, the noise and smell along with the visual spectacle is intoxicating, for me at least.
I've always longed to witness racing at Road America or Watkins Glen along with a pilgramage to Bathurst but so far my budget hasn't stretched that far.
Old 12 Jun 2020, 08:21 (Ref:3981474)   #31
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post

What I don't like is endless hair-splitting about why this-is-better-than-that and DriverA-is-obviously-better-than-DriverB because Just Look At His Hat, or whatever the spurious argument of the day is.

To answer the OP's question:

Try it. You might like it. Just don't expect it to be, or compare it with, the things you already like because it isn't them.
Couldn't have said it better.

I watch F1 since 1980 (aged 6) with my father, and I don't think I have missed more than 3 races in the last 30 years.
When my dad bought a satellite dish setup in the late 80s /early 90s, I suddenly had access to Indycar (some races) and later also Formula Nippon.
Watching that was better than doing schoolwork.

That same satellite TV set also gave me access to the Le Mans 24 hours.

All 3 were very different to F1 (with F Nippon being the closest), but I learned to appreciate them.

Nowadays, I still watch all F1 races, I try to watch as many of LMS, WEC, Blancpain GT and Indycar as I can.
I also watch the full Le Mans 24H, Spa 24H and Nurburgring 24H.
When time permits, I also watch a GT Open or a VLN race.

All these are very different, with their own strong points and flaws but I appreciate them for what they are.

--

The only events I attend live are the Spa 24H, and the LMS race and GTOpen race at Spa.
I do enjoy being there, walking around the track, the access to the pit lane and starting grid but most of the time I have no clue what car is where.
Again 2 very different things: being at the races or watching them on TV. I appreciate both for what they are.

Last edited by gert; 12 Jun 2020 at 08:26.
Old 12 Jun 2020, 10:30 (Ref:3981506)   #32
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I think anyone who loves racing should try watching Indycars.

You look at other series, F1 has continually grown to a worldwide audience. Indycar isn't quite on the same wavelength, but it has enough interest outside of America to have a dedicated following, as well as being shown in other countries

There's no doubt the triple crown of motorsport LM, Indy and Monaco do mean a lot. F1 will always be the pinnacle, but Indycars and sportscars are worth watching, as are the various junior formulas

Of course some series are better than others, but whenever motorsport is on the telly, I always try to watch it. It's hard to follow all the series though, depends on how much attention it has. I could go on about the merits about each and every series but I won't

I have been lucky enough to go to a few BTCC races in my lifetime. I have a lot of respect for those fans who get to go to plenty of races a year. I would love to see more, but beggers can't be choosers
Old 14 Jun 2020, 22:11 (Ref:3982114)   #33
CarfanLUFC
Racer

Zimbabwe
A Yorkshire Farm
CarfanLUFC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCarfanLUFC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IndyCar is great. Not quite as good as the IRL days which was the most edge of your seat exciting racing ever but it's very good.

Super Sport in Southern Africa used to show us IRL live thanks to Tomas Scheckter.