Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 16 Mar 2007, 17:30 (Ref:1868412)   #1
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Roundels

I was going to run black roundels / white numbers but in the blue book it states numbers must be black on a white background. I've seen plenty of historics using black roundels just wondering whether anyone has ever been pulled by the scrutes.
Old 16 Mar 2007, 18:45 (Ref:1868462)   #2
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
In motocross different coloured roundels are used to denote class/cc so thats food for thought !
Old 17 Mar 2007, 10:27 (Ref:1868994)   #3
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I have red roundels on my doors, and a black one on the boddet . . . . its as was in period, no ones ever said anything to me.

when you look at most modern cars they have so much crap all over them you can't see the number anyway, besides which no one reads them, you've got a transponder fitted !
Old 17 Mar 2007, 21:58 (Ref:1869533)   #4
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fair enough. Yeah, I'd seen your avatar pic Zef, one of my reasons for asking on here!
Old 18 Mar 2007, 07:49 (Ref:1869930)   #5
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
if you can't read my numbers I'd argue you can't see full stop, therefore take a desk job! no disrespect to anyone but sight probably isn't the best faculty to loose in the world of motorsport
Old 18 Mar 2007, 09:35 (Ref:1869987)   #6
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Is this an issue confined to Historics or has this debate a wider potential audience in the Racers forum?

Zef, you are right about modern racers; much harder to locate the racing no. but as you say, with transponders, not as important as it once was.

PS -Hope your cold gets better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly
a black one on the boddet . . . .
Old 18 Mar 2007, 09:44 (Ref:1869993)   #7
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
its better thanks . . .the wine blew it away . . . and my ability to type
Old 19 Mar 2007, 05:19 (Ref:1871044)   #8
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Numbers Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly
I have red roundels on my doors, and a black one on the boddet . . . . its as was in period, no ones ever said anything to me.

when you look at most modern cars they have so much crap all over them you can't see the number anyway, besides which no one reads them, you've got a transponder fitted !
Still important though Zef, for the Judge of Fact to confirm/adjudge who is first across the line in spite of the transponders, as a back up when timing systems fail, the transponder fails or falls off!! and last but by no means least for trackside officials to clearly identify which car they are talking/writing about.
Old 19 Mar 2007, 11:28 (Ref:1871281)   #9
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
I agree 275GTB-4 . . .but I do think mine are quite clear . . .even in the avatar !

white Nos on Black are just as clear as black on white
Old 3 Apr 2007, 11:59 (Ref:1882645)   #10
Biff
Rookie

United Kingdom
Worcestershire
Biff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If its any help. I've run both combinations lots of times and never been stopped by the scruts. I thinks it is down to a bit of common sense.

The general rule I have followed is, if the colour of the car is a light colour, white, cream, pale yellow or as with my present car pale blue, I run black roundels with white numbers. When the car is a dark colour BRG for instance I run white roundelas and black numbers.

These combinations assist with the point 275 GTB-4 made bacause they define the roundel and as such the number more clearly.
Old 3 Apr 2007, 13:24 (Ref:1882699)   #11
AndyV
Racer

England
Somerset, where the cider apples grow
AndyV should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've got away with no roundel at all on the bonnet for the last two years, I just put the black numbers on my silver bonnet stripes. Never had any comments from marshalls, scrutineers or time keepers. Still have the standard black on white on the doors though.

http://www.redshoes-archive.com/info...=16442&cat=733

Cheers
Andy
Old 4 Apr 2007, 07:42 (Ref:1883146)   #12
Bullett
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Bullett should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I did timing a couple of times when they were short on helpers and we were told it is mainly if the number is unreadable such as a white number on silver. I don't know about overseas but here in Australia they have 2 people who write down by hand each car in order they are seen crossing the line and these people need to be able to read it. This is used to check if a transponder fails whilst circulating etc. We are becoming more reliant on transponder's but it still should be noted there are people who have to read your number!
Old 4 Apr 2007, 08:02 (Ref:1883165)   #13
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I would like to see timekeepers done away with and monies saved used to reduce entry fees (unless they wanted to do it for nothing and no expenses, it is a sport or hobby for them after all, isn't it?). If everyone was made aware of the fact that the trade off would be no back up if the transponders went down I dont think it would be a problem if we were all saving money.
Old 4 Apr 2007, 08:04 (Ref:1883168)   #14
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Technically British racing colours were green with white numbers. Maybe you could protest everyone with black numbers on white roundels in international events?
Old 4 Apr 2007, 22:26 (Ref:1883709)   #15
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Slippy Diff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Has to be white roundels with black numbers. No other combination will do