Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 9 Jan 2015, 15:21 (Ref:3491313)   #26
leonidas
Veteran

England
Coventry
leonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridleonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Well according to M-Sport:

Not quite sure I see either of those in there but hey ho.
The trouble is all WRC cars are basically the same dreary shape and so there is a limit to what you can do with them. The bonnets are very small, the front wings almost non existent and the wheel arches/body kit very tame. For me it is one of the reasons why modern hatchbacks aren't much of a visual spectacle.

Go compare with an E2 quattro...
Old 9 Jan 2015, 22:59 (Ref:3491487)   #27
thlbtcc
Veteran

thlbtcc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
True - but I suspect that M-Sport would want significantly less money than McLaren for title sponsorship rights!

There is still Ford money going into the team but nothing like the amount that was when M-Sport was a works team. I'd suspect that the Castrol sponsorship is linked to the Ford money (preferred oil supplier for Ford?).

Still, wherever the money is coming from M-Sport seem to be doing ok - there are always plenty of Fiestas entered on events (in a number of classes - not just the WR cars).
They get "technical support", in particular with the engines, but no money from Ford. This was discussed during the Autosport show interviews. My guess is the cost of the WRC programme is underwritten my M-Sport to give a halo effect over the R5, S2000 and R2 cars available to purchase (and selling very well) from M-Sport.
Old 12 Jan 2015, 04:39 (Ref:3491981)   #28
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonidas View Post
The trouble is all WRC cars are basically the same dreary shape and so there is a limit to what you can do with them. The bonnets are very small, the front wings almost non existent and the wheel arches/body kit very tame. For me it is one of the reasons why modern hatchbacks aren't much of a visual spectacle.
I love Fiestas, just as I love Celicas, Deltas and Imprezas.
Old 16 Jan 2015, 01:48 (Ref:3493203)   #29
jim199
Rookie

Australia
jim199 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

WRC is looking good this year!
Old 16 Jan 2015, 10:09 (Ref:3493253)   #30
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Not quite sure I see either of those in there but hey ho.
Me neither! It actually reminds me of some of the mid-2000 Focus WRC liveries more than anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
I love Fiestas, just as I love Celicas, Deltas and Imprezas.
Ditto. All the generations appeal for different reasons, but I have favourite cars in all eras of the WRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim199 View Post
VW are the winners for me, I think that new livery looks superb from the front. I rather like the new Kubica livery as well...

...I wonder if it will look as good parked in the scenery?
Old 16 Jan 2015, 10:20 (Ref:3493255)   #31
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
The VW livery is good isn't it? A big improvement. The Citroen still looks horrible - the gold looks awful (the Citroen WTCC car livery is crap too though so not a surprise).
Old 16 Jan 2015, 10:29 (Ref:3493259)   #32
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
The VW livery is good isn't it? A big improvement. The Citroen still looks horrible - the gold looks awful (the Citroen WTCC car livery is crap too though so not a surprise).
Yeah, I'm haven't been that excited by the look of the DS3's the last couple of year. Loeb's 2013 France livery...

...has been the only recent DS3 WRC that has really caught my eye.

The Total/Red Bull livery is, in my opinion, by far the best look the DS3 WRC ever had: they need a bit more colour on the Citroen's again!
Old 16 Jan 2015, 14:32 (Ref:3493316)   #33
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
The Abu Dhabi Citroën liveries have been awful.

Citroën should have red as the main colour, not as flashes.
Old 17 Jan 2015, 04:32 (Ref:3493486)   #34
Finski
Rookie

Finland
Australia
Finski should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow, love the new VW livery! To be honest the VW is the only car in WRC I really like and it looks more awesome than ever this year! Glad Latvala is driving it
Old 17 Jan 2015, 15:14 (Ref:3493592)   #35
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
De Polo looks great. More agressive than last years.

Citroen en Kubica Fiesta boring.
Old 17 Jan 2015, 15:15 (Ref:3493593)   #36
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post

Citroën should have red as the main colour, not as flashes.
Yep
Old 21 Jan 2015, 19:50 (Ref:3494934)   #37
Alex Langheck
Racer

Alex Langheck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If the Polo goes as quick as good as it looks, the others had to hope for a miracle. It's hard to look beyond a VW cakewalk - not what the sport needs.

The talking will stop tomorrow night; and the start of the WRC & Rallye Monte-Carlo.
Old 22 Jan 2015, 21:15 (Ref:3495278)   #38
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Well we're off and running - SS1 and Loeb blows everyone into the weeds - 22 seconds quicker than anyone else!
Old 22 Jan 2015, 22:01 (Ref:3495294)   #39
mikuni
Veteran

mikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So this is the first rally where the drivers won't be able to see live timing splits etc?

edit: But I see Ogier clawed back 18 seconds on the second stage.

Last edited by mikuni; 22 Jan 2015 at 22:13.
Old 23 Jan 2015, 07:16 (Ref:3495429)   #40
Finski
Rookie

Finland
Australia
Finski should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are there any live streams of the rally?
Old 23 Jan 2015, 11:13 (Ref:3495502)   #41
Alex Langheck
Racer

Alex Langheck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Only stages 1,13 and 15 are Live. A bit different to the IRC Montes when all but 1 stage were live.

It looks like the running order could decide the event: Ogier is 1st, and Loeb is 14th...that's a huge difference in conditions between them.
Old 23 Jan 2015, 13:51 (Ref:3495559)   #42
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Michelins twitter feed is giving the details of which tyres the drivers have taken for the next loop of stages - interesting stuff, there doesn't seem to be a common approach, everyone is taking a mixture 6 tyres from - studded, snow and super softs. Could have a big impact on times, Loeb has 4 snow and 2 super softs, Ogier 4 studded and 2 super softs - that could make a huge difference.
Old 23 Jan 2015, 15:56 (Ref:3495591)   #43
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Loebs in trouble on ss8 - looks like he's torn a wheel off, could well be game over.

That leaves Ogier clear on his own at the front but it's a pretty good scrap after the VW's.
Old 23 Jan 2015, 17:29 (Ref:3495623)   #44
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
AndyS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Damn, Meeke and Loeb both damaged suspension just when they were looking like they were getting amongst the VW's. Real shame that, if they could have kept that pace up it could have been a real scrap and really given VW something to think about.
Old 23 Jan 2015, 19:33 (Ref:3495689)   #45
m355y
Racer

m355y should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridm355y should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridm355y should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Shame. Another VW 1-2-3. Zzzzzzzzzz.
Old 23 Jan 2015, 20:20 (Ref:3495707)   #46
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by m355y View Post
Shame. Another VW 1-2-3. Zzzzzzzzzz.
Yeah. The first few stages were cracking with the VW, Citroen and Ford mix in the top six, shame that couldn't go on a bit longer.

Unlucky start for Kubica, especially as he put in a couple of blinding stage times today... but then the inevitable breakage. If he could just dial it back a shade he would surely be a front runner.
Old 23 Jan 2015, 21:28 (Ref:3495739)   #47
Adamcas87
Racer

England
Old hairpin
Adamcas87 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAdamcas87 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Where can I watch day one highlights? Are motors TV not showing any this year?so unless you have BT Sports only option you have is searching Internet? Or are Dave or ITV showing any highlights?

Frustrated fan
Old 23 Jan 2015, 22:00 (Ref:3495752)   #48
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamcas87 View Post
Where can I watch day one highlights? Are motors TV not showing any this year?so unless you have BT Sports only option you have is searching Internet? Or are Dave or ITV showing any highlights?

Frustrated fan
Are you in the UK Adamcas87? There was an article about UK TV coverage on the WRC site yesterday:

http://www.wrc.com/en/wrc/news/janua...1--12-12-.html

Highlight program for today's action on BT Sport 1 in about two minutes (more shows on BT Sports over the course of the weekend).

Highlight program for today's action on Motors at half 10 tonight (more shows on Motors over the course of the weekend).

Highlights of the whole rally on ITV4 on Tuesday.

Short highlight videos posted on the WRC site throughout each rally.
Old 23 Jan 2015, 23:19 (Ref:3495798)   #49
m355y
Racer

m355y should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridm355y should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridm355y should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
Yeah. The first few stages were cracking with the VW, Citroen and Ford mix in the top six, shame that couldn't go on a bit longer.

Unlucky start for Kubica, especially as he put in a couple of blinding stage times today... but then the inevitable breakage. If he could just dial it back a shade he would surely be a front runner.
Kubica is infuriating at times. He's shown today he has the pace to win, he's shown that before. He took a Fiesta that hasn't won for three years to the top of the timesheets, convincingly. Ahead of VWs and Citroens. But on this occasion he'd already crashed, then another problem and he's 653rd and two weeks down on Ogier as usual. I wish he could dial it back and start getting results.
Old 24 Jan 2015, 11:42 (Ref:3495942)   #50
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by m355y View Post
Kubica is infuriating at times. He's shown today he has the pace to win, he's shown that before. He took a Fiesta that hasn't won for three years to the top of the timesheets, convincingly. Ahead of VWs and Citroens. But on this occasion he'd already crashed, then another problem and he's 653rd and two weeks down on Ogier as usual. I wish he could dial it back and start getting results.
Fully agree with you regarding the Fiesta; he is proof that the Ford can head the timesheets in the right hands.

From what I can gather the electrical gremlin at the start wasn't his fault (and perhaps it was because of that he was driving at 150% yesterday) but the subsequent crash could have been avoided.

Not a good start for Meeke either. Was hoping he could start the year with a sensible drive and a decent finish, but it seems he got caught out. At least his pace was better than Ostberg before his prang.