Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 24 Oct 2017, 10:37 (Ref:3776076)   #426
Londoner
Racer

Londoner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sweepstakes on when Josh Cook reaches strike 7?
Old 24 Oct 2017, 11:04 (Ref:3776083)   #427
AdrianM
Racer

AdrianM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Still wish they'd go back to trying to sort out the race 1/race 2 issues. If you get taken out in race 1 you're basically screwed for race 2 as well and potentially race 3 unless things go well enough to get up to 10th (or 12th for next season).

The fastest lap helped a bit with that but rather than trying something else they just gave up with trying to do anything about it when the fastest lap system was abused.
Old 24 Oct 2017, 11:43 (Ref:3776087)   #428
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Positive spin thinking caps on people; how do you now describe the Jack Sears Trophy to someone who doesn't follow the series?

Previously you could call it the Rookie Cup and most people would understand what that mean. Now it's the 'Rookies plus people who have been around a while but aren't that good' Cup.
Old 24 Oct 2017, 12:00 (Ref:3776092)   #429
BobJones
Veteran

BobJones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Harder driving penalties should help, but more than that - for all those who got confused at Brands GP especially - here is further clarification right at the start of the driving standards ruleset. Plus, a handy bullet point list to refer back to without having to wade through the entire rules.

I heard that some team personnel were less than professional at times in 2017, so nice to see some training/tests to improve that.

The light panels should help with safety and clarity.

I guess the reverse grid draw takes into account the larger grids these days. Like when points where increased down to 15th place.
Old 24 Oct 2017, 12:21 (Ref:3776098)   #430
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckn002 View Post
Can't be a bad thing to see some different drivers get a chance at the front of the grid. Also leads to more overtaking from those put back on the grid. Would rather they lessened ballast for this though
To not be keen on the randomness may be a strange thing in a series that already has a level of randomness to who sits on pole - but I do think it is a bad thing to have a driver who has had Qualy, R1 and R2 to get their car at the front and can still only manage P12 to then find themselves 11 places ahead of the R2 winner.

How many drivers should be 'given a chance' to sit on the front row - as opposed to those who have earned their place? If the series is about giving everyone a chance then stick whoever is bottom of the championship on the front row!! It sounds a bit like those sports days where no one loses and everyone gets to take home a prize for fear of upsetting the slower ones.
Old 24 Oct 2017, 13:38 (Ref:3776116)   #431
AdrianM
Racer

It's an entertainment series at the end of the day. The 3rd is usually a good show and all the top drivers are kept together so no-one is really getting an advantage.
Old 24 Oct 2017, 13:41 (Ref:3776117)   #432
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I personally would have three 20 minute sessions to decide the grid(s). First is a one shot showdown (or a variation of), the second two are just regular 20 minutes of qualifying with unlimited laps.

We would then do away with the reverse grid race 3.
Old 24 Oct 2017, 15:18 (Ref:3776138)   #433
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Well now it's down to 12th, finishing 6th in race 2 is no longer an automatic advantage for race 3

Good to see the driving standard rules cleaned up. At least now we won't see strikes for minor things, like with Ash at Silverstone. And now drivers will have to be careful, especially with strikes now lasting for 12 months, although that could be a bit hard to understand at times

And shame they've changed the JST, I really enjoyed the best rookie battle
Old 24 Oct 2017, 15:51 (Ref:3776154)   #434
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Reversed grid is a good idea for spicing things up and it's been a part of touring car for quite a while but the best would be to have Top 10 positions reversed at every third race of the weekend, not 'something between 6th and 12th'. That seems a bit ridiculous.

JST as a cup for rookies was much more reasonable as it is with Rookie of the Year in NASCAR for example. New rules are a bit messy, completely unnecessary. Why should we recognize drivers who've never made it to the podium and give them some trophies? For being the best of the worst? Illogical.
Old 24 Oct 2017, 17:58 (Ref:3776192)   #435
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Why don't they reverse the whole grid, then eliminate the last placed driver after a certain amount of laps until there are 6 cars left for a shootout? Plus throw in a safety car if the leader is too far ahead.
Old 24 Oct 2017, 19:03 (Ref:3776216)   #436
pimmy
Veteran

England
Witney
pimmy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
Positive spin thinking caps on people; how do you now describe the Jack Sears Trophy to someone who doesn't follow the series?

Previously you could call it the Rookie Cup and most people would understand what that mean. Now it's the 'Rookies plus people who have been around a while but aren't that good' Cup.
They've just turned it into a charity class. Totally unnecessary. This isn't GT racing.
Old 24 Oct 2017, 19:49 (Ref:3776235)   #437
AdrianM
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
Reversed grid is a good idea for spicing things up and it's been a part of touring car for quite a while but the best would be to have Top 10 positions reversed at every third race of the weekend, not 'something between 6th and 12th'. That seems a bit ridiculous.
They used to do it that way with the grid always being reversed from 10th place but it just led to the drivers in 8th and 9th (and even higher) trying to finish 10th so they brought in the draw for 2006.
Old 24 Oct 2017, 21:17 (Ref:3776250)   #438
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
Why don't they reverse the whole grid, then eliminate the last placed driver after a certain amount of laps until there are 6 cars left for a shootout? Plus throw in a safety car if the leader is too far ahead.
I hope the bosses of NASCAR don't read this forum... they'd be up for it!

More seriously I immensely dislike reverse grids: ballast I can stomach, but the reversing is so artificial and potentially dangerous - the idiot bumping and bashing Cook in the Maximum Focus springs to mind.

Hey ho. I do hope the fines are really big enough to hurt: it sickens me to see bad driving wreck a competitors car leaving a (potentially small under-financed) team with a huge cost and the aggressor getting a "beer money" £500 wrist slap.
Old 24 Oct 2017, 22:25 (Ref:3776262)   #439
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
Watched a truck race at Brands more than 20 years ago like that; I think it was called the "devil takes the hindmost" race
Old 25 Oct 2017, 07:07 (Ref:3776319)   #440
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Watched a truck race at Brands more than 20 years ago like that; I think it was called the "devil takes the hindmost" race
It was also done in Touring Cars at a special end of the year meeting at Donington Park many years ago I think? (Julian Westwood was on pole!)
Old 25 Oct 2017, 07:55 (Ref:3776325)   #441
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
It was also done in Touring Cars at a special end of the year meeting at Donington Park many years ago I think? (Julian Westwood was on pole!)
yeah that was the format of the TOCA shootout way back in the mid-90's.
Old 25 Oct 2017, 12:05 (Ref:3776357)   #442
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Those days are gone, but hey at least we get the longer race in Snetterton to look forward to
Old 25 Oct 2017, 15:20 (Ref:3776400)   #443
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimmy View Post
They've just turned it into a charity class. Totally unnecessary. This isn't GT racing.
Yes. I'm not sure who will qualify for the JST based on past under-performances . A separate trophy for Rookies against perennial back markers doesn't exactly inspire. I would rather see just the rookies battle it out for this, even if there is only a handful of them.
Old 25 Oct 2017, 15:58 (Ref:3776410)   #444
pimmy
Veteran

England
Witney
pimmy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Out of the drivers who raced this year, the following are eligible: Will Burns, Rory Butcher, Luke Davenport, Martin Depper, Michael Epps, Jake Hill, Ollie Jackson, Stewart Lines, Daniel Lloyd, Josh Price, Senna Proctor, Matt Simpson, Chris Smiley, Brett Smith, Dennis Strandberg & Ant Whorton-Eales.

So, half the field.
Old 25 Oct 2017, 16:05 (Ref:3776415)   #445
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
So say a rookie comes in a gets pipped to this trophy by someone who has been in the series for years - lets say Martin Depper (I have nothing against him BTW), then this really makes me wonder if they have this setup right?
Old 25 Oct 2017, 16:21 (Ref:3776420)   #446
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
I would rather see just the rookies battle it out for this, even if there is only a handful of them.
And what if 2018 only has one rookie?
Old 25 Oct 2017, 19:45 (Ref:3776457)   #447
jsmee
Veteran

England
Essex, UK
jsmee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This was posted on Facebook to show how the new JST regs would have played out in 2017.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inside BTCC
1: Senna Proctor - Power Maxed Racing - 368
2: Michael Epps - Team-HARD. Racing - 343
3: Ollie Jackson - AmD Essex - 329
4: Jake Hill - Team HARD - 314
5: Chris Smiley - BTC Norlin Racing - 314
6: Matt Simpson - Matt Simpson Racing - 282
7: Ant Whorton-Eales - AmDTuning - 272
8: James Cole - Team BMR - 261
9: Martin Depper - Motorbase Performance - 238
10: Josh Price - Team BMR - 172
11: Will Burns - Team HARD - 144
12: Brett Smith - Eurotech Racing BTCC - 125
13: Rory Butcher - Motorbase - 112
14: Luke Davenport - Motorbase - 111
15: Daniel Lloyd - Eurotech - 84
16: Stewart Lines - Maximum Motorsport - 51
17: Dennis Strandberg - Maximum - 24
Wins:
1: Michael Epps - 7
2: James Cole - 6
3: Jake Hill - 5
4: Senna Proctor - 4
5: Ollie Jackson, Chris Smiley, Matt Simpson, Ant Whorton-Eales - 2
Old 25 Oct 2017, 20:30 (Ref:3776471)   #448
Jiiiiiiim
Veteran

England
Devon
Jiiiiiiim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmee View Post
This was posted on Facebook to show how the new JST regs would have played out in 2017.
I think this show’s what they want to achieve, giving the limelight to those often punching above their weight but not quite beating the ‘big boys’to make the rostrum. I’m sure it will help the sponsors of people like Epp’s, Hill & co. if they can get up on the podium for JST honours.

I would still like a separate ‘Rookie Award’ but can see why that’s not always possible if there aren’t many Rookies!
Old 26 Oct 2017, 08:17 (Ref:3776539)   #449
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
And what if 2018 only has one rookie?
When did that last happen?
Old 26 Oct 2017, 08:40 (Ref:3776543)   #450
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
When did that last happen?
It may not have happened before - but the TBL requirements have resulted in more consistent grid entries than ever before in the BTCC. And looking at those running this year, it's hard to see many opportunities for rookies opening up in 2018.
Having seen the JST become a success, they are obviously changing the entry requirements for a reason?