Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 16 Sep 2019, 10:05 (Ref:3928287)   #16
Gerard C
Veteran

Wallis & Futuna
Paris area
Gerard C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have a look to your HANS clips, I remember two different non compatible models are homologated. The ref are engraved both on the helmet and the tethers, they must comply.
Old 16 Sep 2019, 17:42 (Ref:3928365)   #17
Mike Bell
Race Official
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Have a look to your HANS clips, I remember two different non compatible models are homologated. The ref are engraved both on the helmet and the tethers, they must comply.
Yes, the requirements were changed, thus the homologation number. Later helmet clips have larger diameter retaining bolts, from memory. As Gerard says, the homologation number on your HANS must be same as the clips..... (If youíve got or are getting a new helmet it will only take the later clips.)
Old 17 Sep 2019, 10:21 (Ref:3928491)   #18
Pete Shepherd
Rookie

England
Great Bentley - Essex
Pete Shepherd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the further advice, the helmet is brand new so will have the latest style HANs clips :-)

I've found out a bit more about my fire extinguisher, it's a lifeline which was last serviced in March 2018. So if I have this right it will need to be serviced again in March 2020?

Another question, transponders. I know I can hire one on the day, is this the easiest/cheapest option? If I hire one does it need to go into an existing bracket on the car to hold it in place? I don't have a bracket currently?
Old 17 Sep 2019, 12:41 (Ref:3928518)   #19
Gerard C
Veteran

Wallis & Futuna
Paris area
Gerard C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I made some search for you, Pete, but sometimes my understanding and writing are clear as mudÖ You must check the followings with an official scrutineer. If your homologated helmet shows Hans clips FIA 8858-2002 or FIA 8858-2010 then your Hans tether embroiled label should show FIA 8858-2002. If the helmet clips show FIA 8858-2010 or FIA 8860-2010 then Hans tether embroiled label should be FIA 8858-2010.
Apart that? Take care, some organizers ask for valve plugs to be fitted all round! Right, Mike?
Old 17 Sep 2019, 15:22 (Ref:3928538)   #20
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Shepherd View Post
Another question, transponders. I know I can hire one on the day, is this the easiest/cheapest option? If I hire one does it need to go into an existing bracket on the car to hold it in place? I don't have a bracket currently?
If you are only intending to enter a couple of races per year then yes, but if you are hoping to do a full season I'd invest in one and have it permanently on the car. Many of us have a mylaps transponder which works all over Europe despite Brexit.
Old 17 Sep 2019, 15:43 (Ref:3928541)   #21
Mike Bell
Race Official
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
I've found out a bit more about my fire extinguisher, it's a lifeline which was last serviced in March 2018. So if I have this right it will need to be serviced again in March 2020?
Yes, every 2 years for service. If it’s a steel bottle that will be lifed as well. Think it’s 10 years (yes, just checked) and after that the service agents will replace it- at your expense, of course....

If you buy a new transponder it will obviously come with a bracket. If you hire one you may be able to buy a bracket at the same time, or cable tie the unit somewhere securely! The brackets for self powered ones are designed to be fitted to the car and the unit to then clip in. Obviously recharging has to be done off the car, so mount it somewhere you can get at it! If a wired in transponder, the old ones didn’t have a bracket, but just had mounts for cable ties, rivets or whatever. Not sure about the Mylaps ones.
Old 17 Sep 2019, 16:36 (Ref:3928551)   #22
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Yes, every 2 years for service. If it’s a steel bottle that will be lifed as well. Think it’s 10 years (yes, just checked) and after that the service agents will replace it- at your expense, of course....

It is not true that fire extinguisher bottles are lifed.

I have this email from the MSA (as was) technical dept:

Dear Andy,

There is no maximum life for an extinguisher in either MSA or FIA regulations. Some manufacturers will give their systems a maximum serviceable life but this is a commercial decision for that manufacturer. A non-FIA homologated system can be serviced by any suitably qualified person, however we would recommend that the manufacturers service schedule is followed.

Best Regards
Michael

cid:image001.png@01D1DFA5.A18EE730
Technical Department
Motor Sports Association, Riverside Park, Colnbrook, SL3 0HG
T: +44 (0)1753 765000 | technical

What this email means is that you can continue to use your steel fire extinguisher beyond 10 years old as long as it has been serviced by a competent fire extinguisher company every 2 years. Lifeline, and their agents will not do this (a “commercial decision”), but others can.
I get my extinguisher serviced by a local, but large, commercial fire engineering company with no issues.

If anyone wants a copy of the email to show scrutinisers (sometimes necessary) please send me a pm with an email address and I will forward.
Old 17 Sep 2019, 16:43 (Ref:3928552)   #23
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

I have a battery/ rechargeable transponder (canít remember the make, a red one!) and attach it using a couple of tie wraps each time I use it.

The bracket in my old car was attached with tie wraps anyway, so donít think it makes any difference!
Old 17 Sep 2019, 16:45 (Ref:3928553)   #24
Mike Bell
Race Official
Veteran

England
That’s interesting, Andy! I’ve had 2 that Lifeline refused to service, so will make sure that doesn’t happen again....

Thanks for the heads up.
Old 17 Sep 2019, 20:12 (Ref:3928574)   #25
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Happy to help.
Old 18 Sep 2019, 04:35 (Ref:3928616)   #26
Mike Bell
Race Official
Veteran

England
There is one bit in the MSA letter that needs caution- it says Ďnon FiA homologated systems can be serviced by....etc.í

So what about FiA systems?
Old 18 Sep 2019, 05:41 (Ref:3928621)   #27
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
There is one bit in the MSA letter that needs caution- it says Ďnon FiA homologated systems can be serviced by....etc.í

So what about FiA systems?
To maintain homologation I assume they that need to be serviced by the manufacturer/ agent, but homologated systems are not required in national level racing. I donít do international level events so not aware of where homologated systems are required.
Old 18 Sep 2019, 07:57 (Ref:3928638)   #28
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid has a real shot at the championship!MGDavid has a real shot at the championship!MGDavid has a real shot at the championship!MGDavid has a real shot at the championship!MGDavid has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
To maintain homologation I assume they that need to be serviced by the manufacturer/ agent, but homologated systems are not required in national level racing. I donít do international level events so not aware of where homologated systems are required.
Spa is top of the list but many mainland Europe circuits are visited by UK organisers / clubs for 1 race per year, e.g. Zandvoort, Nordschleife, Dijon.
Old 18 Sep 2019, 08:13 (Ref:3928642)   #29
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
Spa is top of the list but many mainland Europe circuits are visited by UK organisers / clubs for 1 race per year, e.g. Zandvoort, Nordschleife, Dijon.
Sure, but the series (eg CSCC at Spa) usually run to their national (blue book) and club rules (with the exception of seats being in date) . Not sure if extinguishers have ever been required to be homologated, indeed, i think that up to now CSCC ( and presumably other UK clubs) have had a dispensation to continue to run 2.25 litre extinguishers rather than the 4 litres that i think are required in Europe.

Last edited by andy97; 18 Sep 2019 at 08:24.
Old 19 Sep 2019, 00:04 (Ref:3928759)   #30
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid has a real shot at the championship!MGDavid has a real shot at the championship!MGDavid has a real shot at the championship!MGDavid has a real shot at the championship!MGDavid has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Sure, but the series (eg CSCC at Spa) usually run to their national (blue book) and club rules (with the exception of seats being in date) . Not sure if extinguishers have ever been required to be homologated, indeed, i think that up to now CSCC ( and presumably other UK clubs) have had a dispensation to continue to run 2.25 litre extinguishers rather than the 4 litres that i think are required in Europe.
Yes, I didn't explain that at all well! When CSCC visits Spa we run to RACB rules for safety items, these are on the Spa Summer Classic website. Unlike here at home, the minimum extinguisher is just a handheld 2.25l unit - but if a plumbed-in system is fitted then it must be FIA homologated, and comply with the dating regulations.