Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 9 Mar 2010, 14:43 (Ref:2648210)   #51
SeanBlue
Rookie

United States
Trenton Speedway
SeanBlue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here's the problem you'll run into: the No Child Left Behind Act (edit: I noticed most of the people replying were British, so nevermind. This is American). Since that kind of stuff isn't tested, nobody's going to teach it.

Industrial Arts blast from the past..
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...4733111038750#

Last edited by SeanBlue; 9 Mar 2010 at 14:51. Reason: bunch of Brits
Old 9 Mar 2010, 14:53 (Ref:2648217)   #52
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There are some things that are taught in schools in the UK that aren't taught. Motorsport engineering could be mentioned in things like GCSE and A-Level Physics, depending on the course content. It is something that is difficult. Using schools to promote it isn't going to be an easy task.
Old 9 Mar 2010, 19:13 (Ref:2648433)   #53
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm surprised I haven't had "that's not going to work" thrown at me for suggesting a world cup (I agree it would be difficult, but nowhere near impossible).
Old 9 Mar 2010, 19:44 (Ref:2648460)   #54
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Off topic comment alert
I have to type this or my brain will explode!

It would be good as a one off, I think - perhaps 10-12 2 car teams, run by privateer teams, but participating in a knockout-style format. But perhaps not for this thread

Thanks for reading, you've been a wonderful audience. Don't forget to try the veal and tip your waitress. We now return you to the topic
Old 9 Mar 2010, 20:00 (Ref:2648469)   #55
Tim Wilkinson
Veteran

England
Essex
Tim Wilkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bendy View Post
(Sorry, forgot about multi quotes!)

I understand that totally, but if it IS outside class, then the parents become totally responsible, and the teacher is simply there. Everything is a grey area these days when things go wrong for kids.

Yes exactly, but it doesnt currently follow this path, or mostly it doesn't. Only specific universities do it.

How can you say motorsport is dull?! Perhaps the nitty gritty absolute detail may be to some, but for kids, the thought of going really fast and racing against other people must be an amazing thought that MOST kids don't know about/ever heard of, and your F1 Business Studies thing is testiment to that (although I guess you were talking about the business side?)
In turn -

It doesn't work like that with regard to trips. If it's anything to do with school then the teacher organising is "in loco parentis". We make the decisions, and it falls on us if anything goes wrong. For it to fall on the parents they'd have to organise it or be there, which kind of negates the whole exercise!

Students have the opportunity to apply to any university they see fit to, they are not limited by course or location (except in the financial sense, which is not whole school specific). The courses are available at a level where they should be available. Not all universities offer all courses, that's the nature of the further education system.

Taking part is fun, but out of reach of most, and you can't replicate the thrill without doing it, and there's no way budget is available to give kids the chance to do that. So we're back to watching, which can be dull - I know because I watch it! A few of my year 12s did mention the upcoming F1 season the other day, and said they'd watch the start and the end, but skip the bit in the middle cos it was boring.

I would definitely encourage any motorsport team to get along to a school to promote itself and the sport. I'd love to work with them on something educational, especially if it could be linked to different parts of the curriculum, and the environment. One thing I had thought of before was to offer rides in my car around the school car park as part of the autumn or summer fayres, but I have a feeling that the risk assessment for that would take longer than the day itself!
Old 9 Mar 2010, 20:08 (Ref:2648471)   #56
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
Off topic comment alert

It would be good as a one off, I think - perhaps 10-12 2 car teams, run by privateer teams, but participating in a knockout-style format. But perhaps not for this thread

Thanks for reading, you've been a wonderful audience. Don't forget to try the veal and tip your waitress. We now return you to the topic
Off topic comment alert

I agree somewhat, I'm going to return everyone to the topic here and continue this in N&ISS. Here.

Last edited by duke_toaster; 9 Mar 2010 at 20:19.
Old 10 Mar 2010, 14:16 (Ref:2648923)   #57
ivanalesi
Veteran

Bulgaria
ivanalesi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
During the late 70's and 80's, many schools in Bulgaria have had karting teams There have been regional finals and then national finals, they've been competing w/ everyone else I'm talking about 20+ bhp motorcycle engines.
At my school from 4th to 7th grade, there was a kart in the schools inventory, pretty cool! It was broken I though...

Also there have been model building courses, where many kids have been competing in building R/C models These have been very popular...

Of course after the fall of communism, they realised they didn't have any $$$ to throw in anything but minimum teacher wages, so it all fall apart.

I believe motorsport's single biggest problem is kart racing. It's so unaffordable now... A route back to basics is needed. I mean, kids now have to beg for a PS/Xbox or laptop Xmas present, and they cost between 300-600 EU new. A kart costs at least 3k! Most kids can't even dream for a kart!

Last edited by ivanalesi; 10 Mar 2010 at 14:21.
Old 10 Oct 2010, 11:03 (Ref:2772526)   #58
nbaero
Rookie

United Kingdom
nbaero should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My nipper's 14 and interested in a career in motorsport. We've had to educate his teachers in why a GCSE maths and physics student also wanted to take the "practical" Motor Vehicle Studies course, which is normally aimed at what they regard as lower acheivers. Now they're being very supportive and have just found him a work experience placement with an F3 team. He blogs his experiences at http://www.ministig.com.
Old 10 Oct 2010, 11:10 (Ref:2772531)   #59
GolddustMini
Veteran

GolddustMini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbaero View Post
My nipper's 14 and interested in a career in motorsport. We've had to educate his teachers in why a GCSE maths and physics student also wanted to take the "practical" Motor Vehicle Studies course, which is normally aimed at what they regard as lower acheivers.
there is an outside thinking that motorsports is directly linked with the more practical subjects like design and technology, the reality is that its closer to maths and physics than anything else and that a motor vehicle study course will actually have ALOT of maths and science in it, certainly what i teach that links into the national diploma is maths and science, some students excel in it, others really struggle, a firm knowledge in maths and science at school will really help these students when they step up to FE

its great that your kids school is being supportive, i showed an interest in cars and mechanics when i was that age..... my work experience was at ATS fitting tyres and learning how not to deal with customers
Old 10 Oct 2010, 21:01 (Ref:2772779)   #60
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
There are ways to build interest in motorsport generally that schools can participate in and that outside organisations can use to build bridges into educational establishments.

Tim wilkinsons comments are very accurate and most educational authorities in western (first world) nations are so tied up in PC red tape it isn't funny.

However using tearing down and rebuilding of engines as a means of building knowledge about mechanics and how engines work (Kart and lawnmower 4 strokes is a good place to start) is useful and practical, boys and some girls will want to know about how things work. Using a kart to educate about braking systems etc then build on it.
Use racing car construction (FF) as a begining, look at the historical development of F1 chassis fromthe 50's and prewar to the present, introducing understanding of technology along the way.

For the non mechanically minded looking at the history of motorsport, of F1 and governance as an exercise will engage those interested in motorsport but will not prove of interest to those whose daily classroom focus is on the girls in opposite isle etc. If you ram it down their throats you will turn off more than you will convert or educate.

Using karts to develop driving skills has worked well in some parts of the world with high school programmes developing skid control (wet tarmac)and general vehicle control skills as part of driver education programmes.

However specific F1 stuff, outside of a classroom visit from Lewis Hamilton or Jenson Button will meet with little general response, appealing only to thos ewith a specific interest.