Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 6 Nov 2017, 21:43 (Ref:3779099)   #51
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Not sure what he’s done wrong. If it’s a legal loophole then why wouldn’t you use the tax laws correctly to minimise the amount of tax you pay. We all do it one way or another including pensions, isas, duty free, cash in hand, buying products on holiday and bringing them home etc etc etc.

This is why it’s called tax avoidance, not tax evasion. Perfectly legal...and of course you’re all assuming he knew what his accountants were doing...do you all know how your money is being invested? Thought not

The question people should be asking is why do the loopholes exist
Old 6 Nov 2017, 22:35 (Ref:3779109)   #52
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarracinguk View Post
Not sure what he’s done wrong. If it’s a legal loophole then why wouldn’t you use the tax laws correctly to minimise the amount of tax you pay. We all do it one way or another including pensions, isas, duty free, cash in hand, buying products on holiday and bringing them home etc etc etc.
No. Not me. Never have I ever done anything you've mentioned there ascarracinguk. And I doubt that the good ol' "British" poster from Stevenage would do such things either.
Old 6 Nov 2017, 22:46 (Ref:3779112)   #53
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

This is why it’s called tax avoidance, not tax evasion. Perfectly legal...and of course you’re all assuming he knew what his accountants were doing...do you all know how your money is being invested? Thought not

The question people should be asking is why do the loopholes exist

Just to correct you, but working cash in hand and bringing goods into the country that may attract duty are both considered to be tax evasion and are certainly not legal. And I sincerely hope that we don't all do it.

And not discussing Hamilton, but if an individual has money invested on his behalf by advisers, it is, absolutely minimally, prudent to know where that money is invested because you are ultimately responsible. And before anyone jumps on the band-wagon concerning the Queen's investments, I very much doubt that her investment team for the Duchy of Lancaster consult her on where her investments are made. The assets of the Duchy are huge, and are not in the same league as most private investment holdings.
Old 7 Nov 2017, 00:51 (Ref:3779129)   #54
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
Well, if anyone thought he was going to be a Sir

It appears Paradise has scuppered that thought! lol

Where is Paradise's post?
Old 7 Nov 2017, 01:06 (Ref:3779134)   #55
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Where is Paradise's post?
Lost, according to Milton..........
Old 7 Nov 2017, 01:49 (Ref:3779144)   #56
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Lost, according to Milton..........
There's a metal band called 'Paradise Lost', I like their earlier stuff and there is 'Gun's 'N' Roses' monster hit, 'Take Me Down To Paradise City", so it may have been lost, somewhere in between.
Old 7 Nov 2017, 04:28 (Ref:3779158)   #57
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Just to correct you, but working cash in hand and bringing goods into the country that may attract duty are both considered to be tax evasion and are certainly not legal. And I sincerely hope that we don't all do it.
So when we all shop duty free while at an overseas airport for example, and then bring the goods home, it is illegal??

We are all criminals.
Old 7 Nov 2017, 06:05 (Ref:3779166)   #58
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Congratulations to Lewis. Fast and consistent as ever, but he seemed to be far more mature and down to earth this year. This is going to sound terrible but he always appeared to be putting on a fake persona (acting phoney) over the last couple of years. He seems more comfortable in his own skin now.
Old 7 Nov 2017, 06:16 (Ref:3779170)   #59
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!

I see that in this thread we are just giddy to try and prove people wrong rather than discuss. Often preferring to miss a point to get a shot in. I guess it’s easier than thinking.

The last Lewis thread got closed and further action is likely.
Old 7 Nov 2017, 10:51 (Ref:3779212)   #60
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
So when we all shop duty free while at an overseas airport for example, and then bring the goods home, it is illegal??

We are all criminals.
Which is the very reason that I didn't mention duty free. However, it should be noted that there are limits on duty free, and if you exceed those limits you could to open to prosecution.
Old 7 Nov 2017, 11:00 (Ref:3779214)   #61
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Which is the very reason that I didn't mention duty free. However, it should be noted that there are limits on duty free, and if you exceed those limits you could to open to prosecution.
Thus the difference between avoidance and evasion. Avoidance, using tax laws I. Your favour to avoid paying tax. Evasion, breaking tax laws and try to hide the fact you haven’t paid tax

Lewis is borderline with his plane. Perfectly ok for business use, he has a right to claim the VAT back...the personal use bit maybe not so much, but I’m sure his tax lawyers are far better at answering that question. The fact he nor his company have tried to hide anything from the HMRC leads me to think it’s completely legal avoidance strategy or he has been badly advised that it was ok
Old 7 Nov 2017, 11:34 (Ref:3779215)   #62
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Quote:
Thus the difference between avoidance and evasion. Avoidance, using tax laws I. Your favour to avoid paying tax. Evasion, breaking tax laws and try to hide the fact you haven’t paid tax

Lewis is borderline with his plane. Perfectly ok for business use, he has a right to claim the VAT back...the personal use bit maybe not so much, but I’m sure his tax lawyers are far better at answering that question. The fact he nor his company have tried to hide anything from the HMRC leads me to think it’s completely legal avoidance strategy or he has been badly advised that it was ok
Or maybe he and his advisers were/are pushing the envelope. The fact that he and countless others are arranging their tax affairs in full view of their tax authorities doesn't mean that they are actually complying with tax rules and law. The problem is that too many authorities have a fairly lax attitude to these sort of arrangements, and most of those wishing to abuse the system know that the worst that will happen is that they will get a slap on the wrist and have to pay the tax that has been evaded, and possibly a fine that no-where represents a fair punishment. Very few tax evaders, the worst of whom are mostly corporate, ever see the inside of prison.
Old 7 Nov 2017, 11:36 (Ref:3779216)   #63
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
one would presume he manages to hide a lot of his use that appears personal as business use for an image rights company of his or such like. making appearances (and promoting them on social media) would then i presume allow him to pay himself as a social influencer working for his own company and voila, that skirt chasing trip to fashion week is now business.
Old 7 Nov 2017, 11:40 (Ref:3779218)   #64
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Um, in the context of winning the WDC what has his or anyone else's tax affiars got to do with it? I can't see a reduction in tax liabilities making him more keen on winning. So let's talk about the challenges he's faced on track shall we?
Old 7 Nov 2017, 11:57 (Ref:3779223)   #65
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Um, in the context of winning the WDC what has his or anyone else's tax affiars got to do with it? I can't see a reduction in tax liabilities making him more keen on winning. So let's talk about the challenges he's faced on track shall we?
As soon as I heard LH mentioned on the radio news last night in respect to 'The Paradise Papers' I thought "It's a good job they've close the Sir Lewis Hamilton thread, this will really inflame opinions!"
Looks like you might end up closing another one Peter.
Old 7 Nov 2017, 11:58 (Ref:3779224)   #66
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
working cash in hand and bringing goods into the country that may attract duty are both considered to be tax evasion and are certainly not legal.
Working cash in hand is not illegal. As long as it is declared and NI and Tax are paid, it's completely legal.

As for these sort of leaks - funny how when Jimmy Carr did it, the Prime Minister took time out of his busy schedule to call him out on it. Now it turns out they're all at it, include the countries biggest sports star (for this week anyway), politicians and the crown itself, that it's all fine, it's just a loophole we'd all use.
Old 7 Nov 2017, 12:02 (Ref:3779225)   #67
GregUK
Racer

GregUK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
As soon as I heard LH mentioned on the radio news last night in respect to 'The Paradise Papers' I thought "It's a good job they've close the Sir Lewis Hamilton thread, this will really inflame opinions!"
Looks like you might end up closing another one Peter.
Whilst Lewis' name is in the headlines, I would be amazed if a number of others well-knowns from our sport are not similarly, hem, avoiding tax.
Old 7 Nov 2017, 12:08 (Ref:3779228)   #68
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Of course they are, anyone not living full time in the UK would be, so DC, Button, pretty much every MotoGP rider or Superbike rider, most of them live in Andorra.

I would think most top level racing drivers and riders do it.

Question is, should they and does it make me support them less, and in most cases it does sorry.

4 time world superbike champ Carl Fogarty spent his carer in the UK, I have no idea if he used creative accounting, he probably did, but as he did not ,love to Jersey or the Isle of Man my respect for him was increased by him staying in and around his home town of Blackburn! lol
Old 7 Nov 2017, 12:15 (Ref:3779229)   #69
ascarracinguk
Veteran

Tbh I’d guess most of professional Motorsport has some sort of creative accounting involved...
Old 7 Nov 2017, 12:17 (Ref:3779230)   #70
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
What WDC? What challenges? After reading recent posts on this thread, I've forgotten already......
Old 7 Nov 2017, 12:25 (Ref:3779232)   #71
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Love him or hate him, at least we have a British F1 champion whatever any of us keyboard warriors say !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 7 Nov 2017, 12:30 (Ref:3779233)   #72
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Indeed.
Old 7 Nov 2017, 12:49 (Ref:3779238)   #73
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
really its a storm in a tea-cup.......Lewis openly lives in Switzerland as a tax exile......along with Jackie Stewart......Button lives in Monaco as a tax exile.......there are ooodles more.......Hamilton manages himself as he refuses to pay an agent 20%.......so what........its just not news!
Old 7 Nov 2017, 12:52 (Ref:3779239)   #74
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighty View Post
really its a storm in a tea-cup.......Lewis openly lives in Switzerland as a tax exile......along with Jackie Stewart......Button lives in Monaco as a tax exile.......there are ooodles more.......Hamilton manages himself as he refuses to pay an agent 20%.......so what........its just not news!
Hamilton moved to Monaco over 5yrs ago.
Old 7 Nov 2017, 13:27 (Ref:3779246)   #75
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
I don't care if he lives on Mars- He's a British passport holder, mesmerising driver to watch most of the time, and Champ again!