Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 12 Dec 2003, 19:51 (Ref:810500)   #1
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
FIA GT now a "World Championship"?

Was just reading today and I came across this article. http://www.crash.net/uk/en/news_view...id=8&nid=82641 Now unless Im mistaken this now means that the FIA GT championship is now a "World championship" according to the FIA to be classifed as a "World championship" a championship needs to visit 3 continents if I remember correctly, and now the championship meets this criteria.
Old 12 Dec 2003, 20:41 (Ref:810526)   #2
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Nope, that's still two continents.

Need one of Africa, South America, North America, Australia, or Antarctica still.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 12 Dec 2003, 20:49 (Ref:810529)   #3
RM40
Racer

RM40 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe they're working towards a World Championship as is ETCC with the Super 2000 regs. Good idea on my part. Maybe then the ALMS could go like FIA GT/LMES, with the LMPs only coming out at 4-6 endurance races so as to save money. Or maybe not. :P
Old 12 Dec 2003, 20:57 (Ref:810531)   #4
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by paul-collins
Nope, that's still two continents.

Need one of Africa, South America, North America, Australia, or Antarctica still.
Damn, yeah u are right Paul, for some reason I thought Dubai and China are on differnt continents when they actually arent. Oh well never mind, maybe in 2005 the FIA GT series will continue to grow and become a "World championship".
Old 12 Dec 2003, 21:22 (Ref:810551)   #5
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Bring 'em to Mosport!

... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 12 Dec 2003, 23:11 (Ref:810628)   #6
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Um, I think Laguna Seca would be a much better choice. The logistics are better for me.
Old 13 Dec 2003, 03:58 (Ref:810730)   #7
billnchristy
Veteran

United States
Lawrenceville GA
billnchristy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like Antarctica myself.
Old 13 Dec 2003, 05:38 (Ref:810758)   #8
pitviper
Racer

pitviper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the engines would love the cold air that probably exists in mild abundance there... we could build a track and call it Laguna Iceseca

pit
Old 15 Dec 2003, 23:15 (Ref:812621)   #9
slicktsax
Racer

slicktsax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
the only problem is with antartica, the tires would take an eternity to heat up so the cars will be sliding all over the track from lack of grip due to cold tires, i think laguna seca or road america should be the two choices for the FIA GT series in america, laguna for the corkscrew and road america because it's one of the nicest most flowing tracks in america not to mention longest
Old 16 Dec 2003, 05:58 (Ref:812777)   #10
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Not quite the thread, but this one is about the FIA-GT entry list...

According to Jérôme Mugnier's site this morning, the Pagani Zonda was tested successfuly by the Force One Team at Magny-Cours, the Team's Viper beeing taken as a comparaison standard.

If the Team had doubts at the start (the test was considered as the "last chance"), the porject beeing on the verge to be abandonned due to lack of performances, the modifications to the car are now efficient enough to decide Philippe Alliot and Luca Capellari to enter it in FIA-GT, if the car is homologated.

The Zonda (with used tyres) was half a second slower than the Viper (with new tyres).

Luca Capellari should enter it in Italian-GT.

Last edited by Fab; 16 Dec 2003 at 05:59.
Old 16 Dec 2003, 23:24 (Ref:813594)   #11
Mags
Veteran

Mags should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bring 'em to Sebring or petit!!!
"I have a tendency to let my mind wander a bit during some of the yellow flag conditions; I look around, check out people in the stands, things like that" Darren Law - Lizard Extrordinaire and he's gonna be GT Leader and Brumos Porsche driver!
Old 17 Dec 2003, 06:42 (Ref:813711)   #12
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!

Quote:
Originally posted by Mags
Bring 'em to Sebring or petit!!!
It seems to be 'no' for Sebring, but for PLM, who knows ?
Old 17 Dec 2003, 09:22 (Ref:813785)   #13
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
From what I have read the SRW organizers are aiming at turning both the ETCC and FIA GT into true World Championships by 2005.
Old 17 Dec 2003, 10:27 (Ref:813845)   #14
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
...yet again. And it won't work out, yet again.
There is hardly any interest in this type of touring car racing outside of Europe. The GTs are a little better off in that respect but there are strong series in North AMerica and Japan - why compete against those? Oh well, FIA logic.
Old 17 Dec 2003, 11:07 (Ref:813880)   #15
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
Yeah Cybersdorf there are strong series in Japan and America, but these arent the only 2 continents in the world. Places like Australia for example are just getting into this form of racing (ie Bathurst 24hr) and a FIA GT round could really help to boost the popularity of GT racing in Australia, other countries include places like Malaysia who are still relitvly new to the Motorsport world and who really do love their motorsport, sure theres a Single Japaneese GT round scheduled for Sepang next year but why not a FIA GT round too? If it is managed properly and the teams are helped out with transportation costs. (like they are going to be for the fly away races next year at Dubai and Zhuhai) Ratel is at the helm this time around and he has put into place measures to stop manufacturers like Maserati from dominating in the series (the new ballast system for FIA GT next year) - if it is done properly next year which I think it will be there is no reason why FIA GT should not and can not go Global once again and suceed.

People learn from their mistakes and I think Ratel and the FIA have done this, F1 and CART have gone Global so I dont see any reason as to why not FIA GT cant too, along with the ETCC and the ever improving Formula Renault V6 Eurocup. All in all the LG SRW is a very strong package.

Last edited by SALEEN S7R; 17 Dec 2003 at 11:08.
Old 25 Dec 2003, 01:45 (Ref:820277)   #16
NWtoSFO
Rookie

NWtoSFO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think they should come back to Laguna Seca like the old FIA GT series did. Only difference now is that Laguna Seca has a new paddock with garages, but it still is a fantastic track with great weather and it's close to my home.