Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 8 Oct 2012, 09:42 (Ref:3148087)   #1
aussief3
Rookie

aussief3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shannons National V8 Heritage Round @ Wakefield Park 12-14 Oct

Anyone have any information on the Shannons National V8 Heritage round being held this weekend at Wakefield Park? On the Shannons National website it only lists 8 entries which I think is a little disappointing considering the number of cars out there sitting in garages.
Old 8 Oct 2012, 10:08 (Ref:3148101)   #2
mr hdt
Rookie

mr hdt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Build it and they will come they say.

ill be there lookin forward to it.
Old 8 Oct 2012, 12:12 (Ref:3148183)   #3
Belly13
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst, NSW
Belly13 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Low number of entries for all categories. Sign of the times or just that time of the year when budgets are running low?
GRM's #1 Supporter 2014
Bloody Volvo Drivers...
Old 9 Oct 2012, 06:27 (Ref:3148662)   #4
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The numbers are nothing short of embarassing with 4 cars in Commodore cup and about 10 in the Sports Sedans
Numbers for CC have not been good all year while tyre manufacturer rules have made it difficult for some of the state SS competitors apparently plus the obvious point of WP not being a favourite would obviously play into it.
I will make the trip just to see the Hossack/Ricciardelo show and hopefully see many more of them at the 12 hour.
Old 9 Oct 2012, 06:59 (Ref:3148672)   #5
smokin'joe
Veteran

smokin'joe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
maybe the extra costs of hiding tobacco advertising, and thus making their cars less 'Original'
Old 13 Oct 2012, 21:06 (Ref:3151123)   #6
jd yort
Veteran

Australia
On An Island
jd yort should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quite possibly the most poor attended race meeting in recent history looking @ Natsoft.
- 8 Suzuki Swifts
- 4 Commodore Cup cars
- 6 V8 Supercars
-10 Sports Sedans
-12 Saloon Cars

2012 surely must be the last year for Commodore Cup and maybe even the swift series?
Old 13 Oct 2012, 21:25 (Ref:3151138)   #7
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd yort View Post
Quite possibly the most poor attended race meeting in recent history looking @ Natsoft.
- 8 Suzuki Swifts
- 4 Commodore Cup cars
- 6 V8 Supercars
-10 Sports Sedans
-12 Saloon Cars

2012 surely must be the last year for Commodore Cup and maybe even the swift series?
Hearing on the grapevine that entry fees
for CC will be cheaper next year which
will hopefully get a few more cars out
of the shed.
Can anyone confirm ?

A shame to see what was once one of the
most competitive and well attended
categories turn to ****e.
Looking forward to seeing the SS at the
mountain at the 12 hour which already
has numbers.
Old 13 Oct 2012, 22:34 (Ref:3151167)   #8
alfacors
Veteran

alfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridalfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I doubt you will see Commodore Cup back in 2013.
Old 14 Oct 2012, 04:44 (Ref:3151282)   #9
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Good to see Sir Speedy Thexalot's AU out there having fun

“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 14 Oct 2012, 10:50 (Ref:3151501)   #10
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
- 8 Suzuki Swifts
- 4 Commodore Cup cars
- 6 V8 Supercars
-10 Sports Sedans
-12 Saloon Cars

The V8 Supercars was not a round of the Kumho V8 Touring Car Series. It was an event for older cars the Heritage event.
Old 14 Oct 2012, 10:52 (Ref:3151503)   #11
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussief3 View Post
Anyone have any information on the Shannons National V8 Heritage round being held this weekend at Wakefield Park? On the Shannons National website it only lists 8 entries which I think is a little disappointing considering the number of cars out there sitting in garages.
The majority of eligible cars have not been raced in some time, their owners not having raced them in some time. The majority of those cars might need a lot of work to become raceable again, or have been scavanged for other projects. They have a lot of very valuable bits in them. Plus with cars as late as AU Falcons and VX Commodores eleigible some of the possible cars are quite a bit older. An older E series Falcon isn't going to be competitive against an AU Falcon. A lot of the VP Commodores were updated Group A cars who would be more valuable racing as historic Group As than backmarking Heritage V8 Touring Cars. The special cars are museum pieces who don't race at all.

It was never likely to draw many entries.
Old 14 Oct 2012, 10:57 (Ref:3151504)   #12
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
- 8 Suzuki Swifts
- 4 Commodore Cup cars
- 6 V8 Supercars
-10 Sports Sedans
-12 Saloon Cars

I have actually seen thinner fields at the odd AMRS or iRace event a few years ago. I remember a race meeting once where there was barely over 40 cars total.
Old 14 Oct 2012, 11:52 (Ref:3151534)   #13
Rookie

1961 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just joking, but if the numbers above your post are right you have just seen another one.
Old 14 Oct 2012, 13:13 (Ref:3151562)   #14
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reload View Post
A shame to see what was once one of the
most competitive and well attended.
Competitive yes, well attended not so much. I'm struggling to remember a grid of over 20. It's not like Saloon Cars for example which has a strong state level presence. Plus the two generational format where the bulk of the field was the older VC/VH cars which are not competetive against the newer VS cars. How many of the newer VS's have been built, because that's the true depth of the category.
Old 15 Oct 2012, 01:13 (Ref:3151943)   #15
alfacors
Veteran

alfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridalfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Heritage Round was designed to allow guys who own the older cars to come out and have a run. It's not part of the Kumho Championship, and allows guys like Wimpenny to bring out his ex-Longhurst Castrol AU for a run. Other cars that we could have seen are Leigh Moran's ex-DJR EL Falcon which has been run as a Sports Sedans previously. It also means the cars don't have to comply to the Kumho regs using the control ECU and rear wing etc.
Considering the V8 Touring Car Series kicked off with as little as 4 cars, there is still some potential there.
Old 15 Oct 2012, 03:56 (Ref:3151985)   #16
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfacors View Post
The Heritage Round was designed to allow guys who own the older cars to come out and have a run. It's not part of the Kumho Championship, and allows guys like Wimpenny to bring out his ex-Longhurst Castrol AU for a run. Other cars that we could have seen are Leigh Moran's ex-DJR EL Falcon which has been run as a Sports Sedans previously. It also means the cars don't have to comply to the Kumho regs using the control ECU and rear wing etc.
Considering the V8 Touring Car Series kicked off with as little as 4 cars, there is still some potential there.
There are a number of Sports Sedans around the country that are or are based on V8 Supercars running in state level series.
Old 15 Oct 2012, 09:21 (Ref:3152062)   #17
alfacors
Veteran

Leigh's car actually runs in V8Supercar spec though as it's now for sale after a restoration back to full DJR Shell Helix livery. The Heritage round could be a damn good fun event, and you get to see a lot of cars running in original spec/livery
Old 15 Oct 2012, 09:44 (Ref:3152075)   #18
Micklegend
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
Micklegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMicklegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was at WP yesterday and despite the poor turnout in the CC it was a good day out. Seeing the older supercars out there was great, again despite a small field.
Given the number of categories available these days its understandable that fields are smaller. Would have made sense to run CC with the saloons. And the Ricciardello/Hossack cars are just fantastic to see at full noise.