Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 1 Apr 2012, 14:29 (Ref:3051747)   #1
lovef1
Rookie

lovef1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My machine or me?

dear awesome people,

I had a race today, and I applied all the advices you awesome people gave me. Basically I drove within my limits. I didn't have any incident and it was pretty much smooth sailing, apart for my crappy pace. I don't know whether I'm slow because of the kart or because of me. I tried following the fast guys, and I just can't keep up with them in the fast corners. While trailing them I followed their lines, but they just seem to be going flat through the corners, while i have to take a big lift. I tried going flat out through the fast corners on the cool down lap, and the kart just snapped on me, luckily there was a BIG run off area. I tried fiddling with the tire pressures, but to no avail. So for the rest of the heats I just drove within my capabilities. I know that in racing you need to take it step by step, you can't expect to win on your 3rd outing, but the difference in laptime is so demoralizing. I hope you guys can give me some advice, cheers....

P.s I may have not won, but i didn't come last, which is an improvement....
Old 2 Apr 2012, 19:26 (Ref:3052458)   #2
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovef1 View Post
And that's excellent. Small improvements each time and by the end of the season it'll add up to a big improvement.

OK, this is what happend to me when I started in karts: I'm overtaken by a good driver in a corner but I have a better line so we have the same momentum onto the next straight. I'm right behind him into the next corner, I brake the same amount as him, carry the same speed into the corner, he gets round...... and I spin out. "How come?" I ask.

Wind forward several seasons: I overtake a new driver onto a straight but have to go the long way round so lose some momentum. He's right behind me as we get to the next corner. I'm thinking "don't try to take this corner at the speed I do fella, you won't make it." So I dab the brake, turn in, and take the corner. I get round. He spins off.

Why? Because I know exactly how much grip there is and where, how to ride the bumps, how much the front and back end will drift, and exactly how much steering and throttle to apply where and when to get round. How do I know these things? Because I've driven that corner a hundred times before, that's how!

Patience and practice.
Old 2 Apr 2012, 19:34 (Ref:3052464)   #3
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovef1 View Post
dear awesome people,

I had a race today, and I applied all the advices you awesome people gave me. Basically I drove within my limits. I didn't have any incident and it was pretty much smooth sailing, apart for my crappy pace. I don't know whether I'm slow because of the kart or because of me. I tried following the fast guys, and I just can't keep up with them in the fast corners. While trailing them I followed their lines, but they just seem to be going flat through the corners, while i have to take a big lift. I tried going flat out through the fast corners on the cool down lap, and the kart just snapped on me, luckily there was a BIG run off area. I tried fiddling with the tire pressures, but to no avail. So for the rest of the heats I just drove within my capabilities. I know that in racing you need to take it step by step, you can't expect to win on your 3rd outing, but the difference in laptime is so demoralizing. I hope you guys can give me some advice, cheers....

Firstly, congrats, your making improvements, that's the main thing. The problems with fast corners that you describe can be 2 things, faster drivers are just more experienced, and brake/ accelerate differently to you....that's just the subtly of racing..small things make big differences. Having said that it could be kart setup.....get to know the other drivers and ask for setup tips/ see what setup they're using and ask what tyre pressures they are running, that way you can rule out the setup of the kart being the problem
Old 6 Apr 2012, 17:18 (Ref:3054555)   #4
JohnD
Veteran

JohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well done! Control is all - knowing what you are doing, planning it, making it happen, and analysing what did happen that you may not have planned!

I know karting is a steaming cesspit of envy and ambition - at least it appears so from the "Judicials" in the MSA newsletter in which 85% are kart punchups - but is there someone else you race with who could be your ally? Compare notes and lines, brake turnin points etc. Nothing like discussing something for sparking ideas!

John