Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 29 Jul 2019, 23:28 (Ref:3920326)   #1
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
[CTCRA19R4] CarSales 2019 TCRA Round 4, Queensland Raceway-2-4 Aug

Driver swaps, car swaps, team swaps...

More cars, different cars, new cars...

Time to watch the TCRA package at the same track as Supercar just visited but a week ago. Will this impact the crowds? What will the comparative laptimes look like?

Who will win? Can the Hyundai juggernaut keep going? Or will the Honda crowd get their performance percolating?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 30 Jul 2019, 13:24 (Ref:3920403)   #2
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
What will the comparative laptimes look like?
Who cares about comparative lap times?
Old 30 Jul 2019, 16:13 (Ref:3920417)   #3
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
We know the 'V8 Sports Sedans' times will be quicker than the Touring Cars. Whereas the lap time difference might be of interest to some it is largely irrelevant. My opinion.
Old 30 Jul 2019, 20:06 (Ref:3920452)   #4
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
People who aren’t you clearly
Old 30 Jul 2019, 20:07 (Ref:3920453)   #5
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Meantime, KR haven’t fixed the engine in the Heimgartner WRX, so Ms Angelo gets to watch at home on the teev...
Old 30 Jul 2019, 22:16 (Ref:3920463)   #6
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You'd have thought the category would have placed her in one of the Audis, or perhaps the new Hyundai...

Same goes for Mr Vernon.

But nah, better leave some drivers with a bad taste in their mouths, because their teams can't get their act together.
Old 31 Jul 2019, 00:16 (Ref:3920468)   #7
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Jean-Karl Vernay to drive the blue Audi.

He'll clean up.
Old 31 Jul 2019, 00:31 (Ref:3920470)   #8
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
You'd have thought the category would have placed her in one of the Audis, or perhaps the new Hyundai...

Same goes for Mr Vernon.

But nah, better leave some drivers with a bad taste in their mouths, because their teams can't get their act together.
Surely drivers go onto these things with their eyes open.
Old 31 Jul 2019, 02:02 (Ref:3920477)   #9
champcarman
Veteran

champcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchampcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Expect lap times around FF speeds. At The Bend they were about six seconds slower than F4 but a lot more corners there.
Old 31 Jul 2019, 02:59 (Ref:3920479)   #10
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Jean-Karl Vernay to drive the blue Audi.

He'll clean up.
If he doesn't fall foul of tighter driving standards.

ARG still spending up I see.
Old 31 Jul 2019, 07:40 (Ref:3920499)   #11
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Do we compare the V8 lap times with the F1 lap times at Albert Park?

If not, then why are we comparing lap times here?
Old 31 Jul 2019, 08:17 (Ref:3920505)   #12
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post

You must have missed the various comparison stunts over the years at Albert Park.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vl6Zbj7BPis
Old 31 Jul 2019, 08:52 (Ref:3920509)   #13
Umai Naa
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
Surely drivers go onto these things with their eyes open.
I wouldn't be happy, particularly if my sponsors are still on the car.
Old 31 Jul 2019, 09:01 (Ref:3920510)   #14
champcarman
Veteran

champcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchampcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

Because there are a lot of people out there that believe some categories are really fast when they really are not and vice versa and will ridicule certain categories as not being fast enough.
Old 31 Jul 2019, 09:10 (Ref:3920511)   #15
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
Quote:
Yep, we do - including in the speed comparison sessions that chavez shared. Similar comparisons have been done at Bathurst and other circuits.

I don't understand the reluctance to talk about lap times. Laptimes at Bathurst comparing GT3 with Supercars is almost a guaranteed part of any discussion around the 12 hour each year. Why should this be any different?

Being slower or faster doesn't make for better or worse - simply cars being built to different tech rules. Any difference in lap times is of interest but it ain't anything more than that.
Old 31 Jul 2019, 09:14 (Ref:3920514)   #16
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:

I take it Dare approved of the driver change if their signage still stays..
Old 31 Jul 2019, 23:18 (Ref:3920604)   #17
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Yep, we do - including in the speed comparison sessions that chavez shared. Similar comparisons have been done at Bathurst and other circuits.

I don't understand the reluctance to talk about lap times. Laptimes at Bathurst comparing GT3 with Supercars is almost a guaranteed part of any discussion around the 12 hour each year. Why should this be any different?

Being slower or faster doesn't make for better or worse - simply cars being built to different tech rules. Any difference in lap times is of interest but it ain't anything more than that.

There is just little point , in my opinion, in comparing laptimes of different categories built to completely different rules and objectives. As you say laptimes bear no relation to a better or worse race

It just leads to a ****fight, as you note with the 12hr each year

Comparing the laptimes between Will Brown's Hyundai and Whincup's Commodore is a much different conversation than a speed comparison at the AGP featuring an old F1 two-seater, a V8 ride car and whatever production car the organisers have found a manufacturer to supply
Old 1 Aug 2019, 01:39 (Ref:3920607)   #18
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Nothing wrong comparing lap times of different categories if it floats your boat - it's interesting but no more than that.

If someone isn't into that, then they're not into that but that's not sufficient reason to rubbish the thought.

Comparing TCR & V8SA times is just an interest, same as comparing F1 / Supercar times was when it was first run - although I reckon it's been pretty much done to death now.

Nothing wrong with comparing lap times and nothing wrong with not comparing lap times.
Old 1 Aug 2019, 22:32 (Ref:3920735)   #19
20b
Rookie

New Zealand
Auckland
20b should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Evidently, the sponsor signage on the car has changed for this weekend with Andre's sponsors coming across.
Old 2 Aug 2019, 02:50 (Ref:3920756)   #20
Umai Naa
Veteran

Yet, Dare remains.
Old 2 Aug 2019, 03:09 (Ref:3920758)   #21
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
O'Keeffe fastest, JK Vernay wasting no time. That Audi should be quick at the paperclip. One-off star drivers seem a cute way to avoid compensation ballast.

https://www.speedcafe.com/2019/08/02...ctice-1-at-qr/

Andre sat out P1 with dramas.
Old 2 Aug 2019, 03:58 (Ref:3920761)   #22
Tony C
Racer

Australia
Gold Coast
Tony C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It looks like the second alfa could be a bit of a dog, Jordan Cox did a good number of laps but didnt make progress. They should try Dylan O'Keefe in that car to confirm that it up to scratch.
Old 2 Aug 2019, 04:01 (Ref:3920762)   #23
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
O'Keeffe fastest, JK Vernay wasting no time. That Audi should be quick at the paperclip. One-off star drivers seem a cute way to avoid compensation ballast.

https://www.speedcafe.com/2019/08/02...ctice-1-at-qr/

Andre sat out P1 with dramas.
I wonder if Andre knocked back a paid drive in Asian Blancpain this weekend?
Old 2 Aug 2019, 06:59 (Ref:3920778)   #24
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony C View Post
It looks like the second alfa could be a bit of a dog, Jordan Cox did a good number of laps but didnt make progress. They should try Dylan O'Keefe in that car to confirm that it up to scratch.
https://www.speedcafe.com/2019/08/02...19aY2wZ3WMNY0g

Times at the top are amazingly tight. Given how bumpy and tricky QR is, Vernay is very fast. If he gets away at the start I am not sure anybody is going to catch him.

Cox got the second Alfa up to 7th, and Andre is only a poofteenth off Rullo the first outing in the Astra.
Old 3 Aug 2019, 00:55 (Ref:3920901)   #25
Umai Naa
Veteran

JKV on pole, although by not much.

Bright and the Renaults are nowhere.

Top handful of cars did 1:12.9 laps.