Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 22 Jun 2008, 15:30 (Ref:2234804)   #1
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Kerbs (and easy run-off areas)

This is nothing to do with the Hamilton incident, so let's leave this out of here. I was planning on making this thread ever since yesterday. But this has been bugging me in racing generally and not just F1 for a while.

What is the point of kerbs if they don't slow drivers down? They have become an extension of the race track. They should have grass next to the track, not these kerbs. I suppose they kindly mark out the edge for the drivers with bright red and white, but I'm not sure this should be something offered to the drivers.

The run-off areas are also silly, and present potential problems like the aforementioned Hamilton debate.

I propose getting rid of kerbs, or at least actually making them slow drivers down. In karting, many circuits have kerbs which are not quicker to run on than the track next to them. This should be the way with F1, or perhaps preferably, just do away with them like I said and have grass there.
Old 22 Jun 2008, 15:31 (Ref:2234805)   #2
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
High kerbs are unsafe, innit. They were the best way though.

Old 22 Jun 2008, 15:39 (Ref:2234823)   #3
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The problem with high kerbs though that might damage a car is that damaging a car then becomes akin to having a barrier there (an accepted challenge of street circuits).

Grass seems the ideal interim solution. You get punished by going off the circuit without (necessarily, obviously sometimes you will) damaging anything.
Old 22 Jun 2008, 15:42 (Ref:2234825)   #4
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Then of course you'll need catch fencing.
Old 22 Jun 2008, 15:43 (Ref:2234826)   #5
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Concrete walls and spikes.
Old 22 Jun 2008, 15:45 (Ref:2234831)   #6
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
I can see how that would concentrate the mind!
Old 22 Jun 2008, 15:49 (Ref:2234833)   #7
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes, high kerbs would damage a car, but then the idea would be to not hit them. They basically necessitate accurate driving.

I'm sure they can be made to work somehow, but they are not the easy option.
Old 22 Jun 2008, 16:06 (Ref:2234847)   #8
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
If there was a better solution to not using kerbs I am sure they would be using it...At the kind of speeds these cars are moving you need a visual aid for the drivers to be able to judge how far they can hang the car out..If you hit them too hard you damage the car..

I am no expert on the subject but that is my two cents...
Old 22 Jun 2008, 16:06 (Ref:2234848)   #9
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Everyone loves 20 acre tarmac run offs...
Old 22 Jun 2008, 16:12 (Ref:2234852)   #10
Paddockman
Racer

England
Hampshire UK
Paddockman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Some trees as well!
Old 22 Jun 2008, 16:19 (Ref:2234858)   #11
Ogami musashi
Racer

Ogami musashi has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I would agree with you that run off areas are maybe forgivable but i do prefer this (remeber in most case it is still a "run off" that is, you go wide) than seeing cars that go that fast in walls or spining sunddenly in the middle of a battle.

As for Kerbs, this does not disturb me. That's true in karting we can't ride the full kerbs and that exit kerbs do really slow you down but it is a matter of height of the kerbs/height of the tyre.

With a race car it would be no so safe to do high kerbs.

To me it makes things interesting, kerbs do change the dynamics, there's a risk of loosing control, but at the same time they offer an extra width, that's part of the racing with cars.

I'm not for a unique kind of racing, so, that my kart doesn't like to ride kerbs is okay for me, in a sports car or single seater if they can...why not?

You could argue on a lot of things like that, why most karts have no gear boxes?? this frees the driver from gears control, why sports car are autorized to make contact, because of their bodywork it allows the driver to be less fine on the driving and more raw etc...

I don't think there's one form of racing.

Last edited by Ogami musashi; 22 Jun 2008 at 16:22.
Old 22 Jun 2008, 16:41 (Ref:2234868)   #12
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
you need a visual aid for the drivers to be able to judge how far they can hang the car out
Does the green of the grass or the whatever colour gravel is of the gravel trap not provide this?
Old 22 Jun 2008, 16:55 (Ref:2234878)   #13
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer
Does the green of the grass or the whatever colour gravel is of the gravel trap not provide this?
I have a feeling that the vertical painted lines seen at high speed do a far better job. The racing drivers amongst us should be able to fill in the details on this subject..

The large run offs which are being used these days I do not care for at all...
Old 22 Jun 2008, 17:43 (Ref:2234920)   #14
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
High kerbs are dangerous, as mentioned above. I remember drivers spinning at Adelaide and they went into the air due to the high kerbs.

Talking about the massive tarmac run-offs, I think we should get rid of them. They don't really slow down as long as the driver goes straight or a bit wide. Gravel traps should be better.
Old 22 Jun 2008, 17:49 (Ref:2234925)   #15
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Agreed !

Electric fences would be good too, they would provide immediate punishment to the driver (and car) without waiting for "under investigation" from the steward.
Old 22 Jun 2008, 17:50 (Ref:2234926)   #16
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The Massa, Kubica dust up, in Japan, at the end of last season showed how stupid these run off areas are. If you run out of road, keep on going. Although I enjoyed it - 2 racers hammering it out, thoroughly entertaining.

Looking at that, what did Hamilton do wrong today?
Old 22 Jun 2008, 19:11 (Ref:2234974)   #17
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Raine
The Massa, Kubica dust up, in Japan, at the end of last season showed how stupid these run off areas are. If you run out of road, keep on going. Although I enjoyed it - 2 racers hammering it out, thoroughly entertaining.

Looking at that, what did Hamilton do wrong today?
He cut a corner and gained an advantage. Shoulda backed off and let Vettel back past, wouldn't have gotten penalised then.
Old 22 Jun 2008, 20:00 (Ref:2235000)   #18
RaiseYourFist
Veteran

United States
USA
RaiseYourFist has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
They make the races more dramatic and increase the spectacle for the spectators, also show how close to the edge the cars and drivers are.
Old 22 Jun 2008, 21:30 (Ref:2235078)   #19
MrTTraces
Veteran

Zimbabwe
A place where the coffee is cold!
MrTTraces should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like the idea of electric fences, but what about razer wire or large bear traps?
Old 22 Jun 2008, 21:36 (Ref:2235082)   #20
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Anything to keep them on the track is welcome...
Old 22 Jun 2008, 22:11 (Ref:2235129)   #21
craigd
Racer

United Kingdom
Bristol
craigd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hell, why not go the whole hog and have a nice trench of lava around the track edge. That would work a treat I think. It would help in other areas too such as spectator safety; no worrying about debris flying into stands - if a driver screws up they just sink without trace and no more needs to be said. Turn F1 into Mario Kart, after all when has there ever been a dull MK race!?

Mmm i'm now imagining Felipe today unleashing a cunning red shell to smash Kimi's exhaust, muhah!!! Sigh i've gone too far.

p.s. am I the only one imagining Lewis smashing holes into the wall of a hotel room tonight...?

(seriously though, kerbs are ok, it's the get-out-of-jail-free-card tarmac run-off areas that suck)
Old 22 Jun 2008, 23:06 (Ref:2235173)   #22
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Run off area > Gravel > Lion pit...
Old 22 Jun 2008, 23:06 (Ref:2235175)   #23
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Well, if high curbs are bad, how about those metal half-doughnuts sticking out on the inside of the curbs like they had at Mexico City and Rouen in the 1960s?

They don't need those curbs for reference; the open wheelers do just fine without them at Cleveland (now there's a circuit with NO sight references).
Old 22 Jun 2008, 23:39 (Ref:2235217)   #24
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Max has said that the run-off areas,although safe,are not in the spirit of racing.He is,as we know,looking into other forms of punishment.
Old 23 Jun 2008, 00:24 (Ref:2235276)   #25
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

I don't think this question of having a specially visible outline to the track is an issue. Drivers should be able to see where the black stuff is, and even if kerbs help them locate it, it's not the kind of assistance they should really require. There's all kinds of challenges that shouldn't be made easier.