Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 4 Oct 2002, 23:37 (Ref:396100)   #1
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Visitors to this weekend's race...

This weekend's Cart race in Miami has drawn quite a number of interesting vistors including...

Reps from a number of F3000 teams interested in racing in Cart...

Drivers...Juan Montoya, Jacques Villeneuve, Rubens Barichello, Gil De Ferran, Helio-Castroneves, Airton Dare, Raul Boesel, Gualter Salles, Ricardo Zonta, Darren Manning and Justin Wilson... possibly more...

Bernie Ecclestone may possibly make an appearance... he has supposedly been speaking with Pook... who knows what's coming of this...

What can we get from this? On Seventh Gear's site Ricardo Zonta says: "I think CART is very impressive...I am trying to find a seat here. At this time we are just talking to see what the possibilities are but we have a good chance to come race here. I'm trying to get a test together because it's important to see what I can do in this championship."

Another interesting observation from Seventh Gear's site: "A key race organizer said this about the positive economic impact the Grand Prix Americas will have on the city of Miami, 'With both the ALMS and CART here, the event should bring in over $15 million into the city. If you add in what the ISC has brought into downtown in lawyers' fees and business meetings to keep us out of here, you could probably double that figure.' "

Begin speculations...
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 4 Oct 2002, 23:53 (Ref:396106)   #2
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Interesting watching the practice on Cart.com... I think this is the narrowest street circuit on the Cart calendar, if not, it's close. There is only one possible place where you'd even think of passing, the rest of the track is extremely tight and narrow. This track makes Monaco look wide.

Is this bad? It likely means there will be less passing, OTOH, it will likely mean the cars are running a lot more bunched up than they would be on a wider track like Toronto...
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 5 Oct 2002, 00:25 (Ref:396116)   #3
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wish Zonta would get a test and (considering the kind of money he can bring) I can't imagine that someone wouldn't give him a try. He's very quick, too, plus a nice, attractive fellow who likes fans. Wonder if Rubens knows him? (Gil lives in Florida somewhere. Daytona? Ft. Lauderdale? I've got his address somewhere around here.)

Jacques was the last open wheel winner in Miami in 1995, so perhaps he's doing some PR. And isn't there a fairly good sized Brazilian community there?

Maybe Bernie just wants to see some non-rigged racing.
Old 5 Oct 2002, 01:36 (Ref:396141)   #4
Tailwind
Veteran

United States
Mulvane, KS
Tailwind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
If you add in what the ISC has brought into downtown in lawyers' fees and business meetings to keep us out of here, you could probably double that figure.

It sounds like this is turning in to a very successful event and they haven't even run the race yet. (At least from the interest and PR that's being generated.)

There may be some very interesting news develope over this weekend.
Old 5 Oct 2002, 01:49 (Ref:396143)   #5
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
...also in attendance this weekend: singer Lenny Kravitz, actors Denzel Washington and Sofia Vergara, baseball players Alex Rodriguez and Mike Piazza.

Also here is former IRL driver Tomas Scheckter.

And apparently Juan Montoya will be the honorary starter.

I just think of the time the IRL tried to have a celebrity at the race. I think it was Ozzie Smith who was the honorary starter and admitted that the IRL had asked him to come and he knew nothing at all about racing.
Old 5 Oct 2002, 07:39 (Ref:396190)   #6
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
There must have been some visitors at the track who made their opinions be known. May I quote Tony Kanaan, during SV's qualifying coverage? "I got alot of heat from my decisions lately..."
Old 5 Oct 2002, 11:54 (Ref:396283)   #7
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Re: Visitors to this weekend's race...

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay
Drivers...Juan Montoya, Jacques Villeneuve, Rubens Barichello, Gil De Ferran, Helio-Castroneves, Airton Dare, Raul Boesel, Gualter Salles, Ricardo Zonta, Darren Manning and Justin Wilson... possibly more...
de Ferran and Helio have come to see what their missing, instead of travelling round the country, racing on ovals in Hicksville, USA.

JPM and Rubens have come to see what real racing is, instead of the processions they drive in nowadays.

JV has come for the ladies.

Hopefully guys like Zonta, Manning and Wilson will be on the CART grid in the coming years.
Old 5 Oct 2002, 17:00 (Ref:396410)   #8
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Re: Visitors to this weekend's race...

Quote:
Originally posted by f1manoz

JV has come for the ladies.

Naa, he has a girlfriend... maybe wants to talk to Forsythe?
Old 6 Oct 2002, 02:20 (Ref:396659)   #9
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Judging from what I saw at the qualifying today, JV has come to jump up and down on TGF's reputation. Did you hear him at the interview? "He ended up looking like a complete fool," he said gleefully "and that's great!"

Which indicated to me that JV has just about given up all thought of staying in F1, or he's decided to with gag orders anyway.

Hurrah for Jacques' big mouth!

The race is packed with people even in the rain. This was a great idea.

If only the track didn't suck.
Old 6 Oct 2002, 03:04 (Ref:396667)   #10
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
That JV interview was something special, wasn't it?

But what's the story about a gag-order on him?
Old 6 Oct 2002, 03:28 (Ref:396673)   #11
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Damn I wish I had seen that!
Old 6 Oct 2002, 04:19 (Ref:396686)   #12
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
For pretty much the entire interview, JV was trashing TGF.
Good stuff.
Old 6 Oct 2002, 09:08 (Ref:396743)   #13
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
is there a link to a transcript of that interview?
Old 6 Oct 2002, 09:24 (Ref:396747)   #14
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yeah yeah we want a transcript!
Old 6 Oct 2002, 12:22 (Ref:396797)   #15
Liz
Veteran

I haven't seen one yet but it was so funny it'll show up somewhere, I'm sure.

The gag order refers to some severe penalties the FIA gave Jacques for speaking his mind and "bringing the sport into disrepute" by telling the truth in press conferences. After that he just sat and smirked and said "I'm not allowed to say anything." Of course now that bringing the sport into disrepute is legal, I guess he can say what he likes.

Montoya said he wished they'd run a CART race in Miami while he was driving, he would have liked to drive there.

No invisibles were interviewed.