Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 10 Jul 2020, 05:58 (Ref:3987113)   #166
Silhuette
Racer

Silhuette should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree rally is the only viable choice for Oliver with the manufacturers gone from RX. However he is so fun to watch that I still hope he'll change his mind

Petter seemed unconcerned about the future of the sport and pretty much said he's working on his dream of running a factory team. How it's all about peckaging and marketing. He said it in a way that made me think of electric rx.
Old 10 Jul 2020, 11:40 (Ref:3987186)   #167
SnoodyMcFlude
Racer

United Kingdom
SnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I got the impression from the way Petter was saying "if Tommi can do it..." that he was referring to running a 'factory' WRC team rather than anything RX.

Agree that Oliver is better off in rallying, I just think that it's a shame because his RX driving is so entertaining.
Old 20 Jul 2020, 06:48 (Ref:3989662)   #168
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
crossfades should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tierp is gone from the Nordic calendar. It has also been put up for sale and apparently there are many interested, although I doubt the facility will ever be profitable beyond dragracing.
Old 20 Jul 2020, 16:42 (Ref:3989804)   #169
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new lap record!S griffin is going for a new lap record!S griffin is going for a new lap record!S griffin is going for a new lap record!S griffin is going for a new lap record!S griffin is going for a new lap record!
That's not good. Hope something can be done to save that venue. As you say, it's hard to make a profit there. If only they could get more drag racing
Old 20 Jul 2020, 19:42 (Ref:3989823)   #170
hoffman66
Racer

hoffman66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhoffman66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The only way you make money out of drag racing is running public days every weekend and the like, and having it in a good location for big events that are even maybe not linked to drag racing.

Santa Pod used to make stacks of money out of things like Bug Jam and bike events and the racing was in in way the main attraction there.

A track ina sparesely populated country like Sweden is a dumb idea at best.
Old 21 Jul 2020, 13:52 (Ref:3989977)   #171
SnoodyMcFlude
Racer

United Kingdom
SnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah Santa Pod work really hard to have something most weekends to get people in the gate, in particular the car show stuff where people happily pay to sit in a field and a handful will pay a bit more to go on track.
But Santa Pod is reasonably placed near fairly large population centres, there are probably more people within a two hour drive than there are in the whole of Sweden.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Old 22 Jul 2020, 09:32 (Ref:3990128)   #172
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
You guys do realise Höljes is further away from anything? The main selling point of Tierp when they started their rallycross project was to out conquer Höljes as it is fairly close to Arlanda airport and Stockholm, or civilisation at all for that matter. They claimed they could host 50,000 and just where it is situated is a big plus over Höljes.
Old 23 Jul 2020, 13:26 (Ref:3990374)   #173
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Hickey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossfades View Post
You guys do realise Höljes is further away from anything? The main selling point of Tierp when they started their rallycross project was to out conquer Höljes as it is fairly close to Arlanda airport and Stockholm, or civilisation at all for that matter. They claimed they could host 50,000 and just where it is situated is a big plus over Höljes.
Just a shame the rallycross circuit at Tierp was horrendous. It looked so makeshift and the concrete barriers were awful.
Old 23 Jul 2020, 21:53 (Ref:3990487)   #174
MissClarrpz
Racer

MissClarrpz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickey View Post
Just a shame the rallycross circuit at Tierp was horrendous. It looked so makeshift and the concrete barriers were awful.
It reminded me of Mettet because there were so many chicanes so you never go side my side action except into turn 1
Old 24 Jul 2020, 10:29 (Ref:3990550)   #175
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Very true. I think chicanes are put in by designers to look pretty without a single clue as to the impact they have on racing. Same for kinks on a dirt section, just means you cannot go on the outside as all the dirt is swept there so can't overtake. Spa got the balance right and hey presto, we got lots of overtaking and different lines on the dirt section.
Old 24 Jul 2020, 11:23 (Ref:3990563)   #176
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker
It has been all so quiet. Will we have a championship in 2020?
Old 24 Jul 2020, 14:51 (Ref:3990598)   #177
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickey View Post
Very true. I think chicanes are put in by designers to look pretty without a single clue as to the impact they have on racing. Same for kinks on a dirt section, just means you cannot go on the outside as all the dirt is swept there so can't overtake. Spa got the balance right and hey presto, we got lots of overtaking and different lines on the dirt section.
I'm just glad WRX will stay at Höljes. Besides from just being a track I personally love, that place has a soul at least.

As for Tierp, it was apparently designed by Tommy Kristoffersson, and if I'm not wrong Johan and Petter Solberg might have been involved. And Andreas Eriksson made a lot of promotion for it. So ironic how Eriksson two years ago wanted WRX their whereas now he has helped Höljes to try and survive current difficulties.
Old 24 Jul 2020, 17:01 (Ref:3990621)   #178
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
That's embarrassing if those guys have designed the track. Or they don't care about overtaking or excitement for the fans.

Catalunya is the worst though. Both dirt sections have a kink halfway through which prohibits overtaking. So does Silverstone (which is a hopeless design anyway, looks like it is designed based on a shoe lace being dropped on a sheet of paper).

I guess it depends on what you want from a circuit but so many circuits are hopeless for overtaking. Genuinely believe Lydden is the best for overtaking.
Old 25 Jul 2020, 13:14 (Ref:3990703)   #179
hoffman66
Racer

hoffman66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhoffman66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I do think IMG had a hand in a lot of these tracks though. They seemed to always use a particular type of dirt aswell that was very quickly swept away leaving a hard sort of chalky base underneath. It was used pretty much everywhere in some form, Lydden Barcelone, Latvia, Mettet, Turkey even Hell and Silverstone (which they pretty much paid for and built anyway which is why it was God awful)

the only places where gravel seemed to even form a part of the racing was Portugal and Spa and Buxtehude maybe. Holjes it just gets sweapt away.

Rallycross in this form is now only really what it ought to be in the wet, in the dry it is just mainly hotlapping. Offline is the only part where dirt is
Old 25 Jul 2020, 19:01 (Ref:3990762)   #180
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffman66 View Post
I do think IMG had a hand in a lot of these tracks though. They seemed to always use a particular type of dirt aswell that was very quickly swept away leaving a hard sort of chalky base underneath. It was used pretty much everywhere in some form, Lydden Barcelone, Latvia, Mettet, Turkey even Hell and Silverstone (which they pretty much paid for and built anyway which is why it was God awful)

the only places where gravel seemed to even form a part of the racing was Portugal and Spa and Buxtehude maybe. Holjes it just gets sweapt away.

Rallycross in this form is now only really what it ought to be in the wet, in the dry it is just mainly hotlapping. Offline is the only part where dirt is
Wut? Höljes got actual gravel that they take care of all the time, Hell got gravel too but not a very thick layer so asphalt gets through at the bottom hairpin and the second to last corner after a while. Buxtehude got similar gravel to Höljes but without any asphalt in some corners.

Montalegre is literally just asphalt with gravel on top and Lydden got gravel kinda like Hell, although much bumpier. Besides, all of these tracks existed before the newer ones were even thought of. I have actually visited all of these tracks myself as well.

At Spa they had a problems with getting it right and it had rocks, Doran literally had one go through his windshield.