Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 13 Jan 2002, 02:32 (Ref:197793)   #1
Powered by JPM
Racer

Powered by JPM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Weber slams Sir Frank and Head

"Ralf Schumacher’s manager Willi Weber has slammed Sir Frank Williams and Patrick Head for comments made about his driver in the press.

The Williams bosses have been outspoken about Schumacher Jr’s poor performances towards the end of last season and Head in particular has been critical of the German’s commitment in testing.

Weber is furious at the public manner in which Ralf has been criticised. Speaking in this week’s Autosport magazine Weber said: "I do not find the style that operates in England acceptable. If one has to say something of this type, then they should say it to the driver and not in the press. It is not a good way to deal with a driver."

Weber seems to believe that the big pay rise he negotiated recently on Schumacher’s behalf has caused some resentment in the Williams camp.

He continued: "I suceeded in extending Ralf’s contract. This was unique, taking into account the financial value – which I can’t reveal – which Williams committed to pay. Frank may have regretted this afterwards – I don’t know.

"It is assumed that it no longer pleases him as much. But it is now a signed contract. Both parties are obliged to tick to it."

However, it would seem that the comments made by Head and Williams were an attempt to reign in some of Ralf’s more outspoken press comments.

At the Japanese Grand Prix he claimed he wanted team orders to allow him to challenge his brother for the world title in 2002. This was despite that fact that team-mate Juan Pablo Montoya was beating him regularly at the time.

He has also gone on record during the winter that Montoya is Williams’ favourite. Both Williams and Head are renowned for showing their drivers who is boss and will not have appreciated Schumacher speaking out."
Old 13 Jan 2002, 02:34 (Ref:197795)   #2
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Weber is just one more name to the growing list of people who need to keep their big mouth shut. Is he trying to teach Ralf how to get an entire team against him?

And no wonder IF JPM is Williams' favourite. At least he isn't always in the press whinging and whining about team orders and the state of team affairs.
Old 13 Jan 2002, 02:41 (Ref:197799)   #3
Powered by JPM
Racer

Powered by JPM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
this is really the first time i have seen an agent publically criticize a team/owner/manager while his client is under contract.

maybe its just me and im simply too "old school" in thinking everyone should just shut thier trap.
Old 13 Jan 2002, 04:15 (Ref:197815)   #4
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Powered by JPM

maybe its just me and im simply too "old school" in thinking everyone should just shut thier trap.
No your not, or a lot of us are in the old school with you.

Weber isn't doing ralf any good by shooting off his mouth. For Frank and Head, its what happens on the track that counts and they don't suffer fools. (Okay, they put up with Nige)
Old 13 Jan 2002, 04:55 (Ref:197823)   #5
RT
Veteran

United States
Great Lakes Area
RT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I disagree. The Williams team has a tradition of treating drivers like cattle.

After Damon, Frentzen, Jenson, etc, I'm glad Willi had the guts to put Frank and Patrick in their place.

Juan has been quite a loudmouth himself and perhaps Ralf should be more quiet but it's also true that Williams has consistently shown little or no sensitivity to their drivers.

Patrick has been consistently outwitted by other teams during a race, he should concentrate on correcting his own faults.

Or perhaps BMW should take the engine to another team.......

Go Willi !!
Old 13 Jan 2002, 09:15 (Ref:197859)   #6
SILVERS95
Veteran

SILVERS95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Powered by JPM

Totally agree.....

Ralf ...shut up..everytime you open your mouth latley you seem to dig your self deeper in the hole.....with the money your being paid you should be able to take a bit of flak off your boss striaght on the chin.

Willi...with management like you , its probally no wonder that Ralf thinks he's head and shoulders above the rest...When he clearly isnt !
Old 13 Jan 2002, 12:10 (Ref:197953)   #7
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by SILVERS95
Ralf ...shut up..everytime you open your mouth latley you seem to dig your self deeper in the hole.....with the money your being paid you should be able to take a bit of flak off your boss striaght on the chin.
I don't understand how Ralf's manager criticising Williams suddenly makes it Ralf's fault. Oops no, everything is Ralf's fault. Sorry, I forgot.

Quote:
Originally posted by RT
Juan has been quite a loudmouth himself and perhaps Ralf should be more quiet but it's also true that Williams has consistently shown little or no sensitivity to their drivers.
I agree - Williams isn't a team known for bringing out the best in its drivers, and they are remarkably good at demoralising them (Frentzen was apparently on his last legs when he went to Jordan in 99). Perhaps Weber should have kept quiet, but I can't say I blame him for being annoyed at what was a very open criticism of one of their drivers.
Old 13 Jan 2002, 15:09 (Ref:198030)   #8
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I just want the god damn season to start so JPM can start handing Ralf his ass.
Old 13 Jan 2002, 15:23 (Ref:198044)   #9
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
i gotta agree that this isn't rafe's fault, but willi's not doing his "client" any favours!! maybe rafe should have a word with him, could you imagine what tgf would think/say if willi went in and slagged off ferrari??
Old 13 Jan 2002, 21:05 (Ref:198196)   #10
SILVERS95
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Ralf's Girl

I don't understand how Ralf's manager criticising Williams suddenly makes it Ralf's fault. Oops no, everything is Ralf's fault. Sorry, I forgot.

i wasnt trying to say that Willi slagging off Williams was Ralfs fault.....i was making 2 points:

the first point has nothing to do with the Willi / williams situation...i simply think , that if Ralf can leep his thoughts to him self for the next month or 2 , he will doing him self a big favour , as everything he says latley seems to dig him deeper in to the pile of poo that he's already put himself in.

the 2nd point is this....with a manager like Willi , who has got used to being a manager to TGF and getting away with certain things like his driver being treated like a GOD......he probally isnt doing Ralf any favours by letting Ralf think he can say such stupid things to the press all the time....maybe it's not Ralf's fault..it is the company that he has grown up with .
Old 13 Jan 2002, 21:23 (Ref:198215)   #11
SILVERS95
Veteran

and while im on this Ralf thingy......if you havent already , buy this weeks autosport and read the Nigel Robuck colunm...it states that after the GERMAN GP when Ralf was totally out paced by Juan Paplo before his engine expired which gave Ralf the win , Ralf said in the F1 press conference that the reason JPM had been quicker than him was because JPM had been going flat out and over stressing the engine , where as Ralf been using lower revs as to not over stress the engine which had made him slower than Juan Paplo ......

Even Patrick Head said this was total rubbish , as the BMW engine had software in to make it impossible for the engine to be over rev'd !.....so in no way was JPM's engine faliure due to the driver over revin it !...Ralf just didnt like the fact that his team mate had Fairly beaten him at his home GP.....there is really no need to say that on world wide tv , when half the world , including the whole of your team and the rest of the paddock knows that your a complete liar !!.....
Old 13 Jan 2002, 21:31 (Ref:198221)   #12
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
1 word explains rafe to me:-

SCARED!!!!!
Old 13 Jan 2002, 21:32 (Ref:198223)   #13
GasMan
Racer

GasMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the illusion of Michael Schumacher being a god in terms of the modern F1 era has transferred over onto Ralf. I personally believe Ralf has the potential to challenge big brother on any day. It's just that he needs to put aside the politics. It may have been wrong for Ralf to be saying such things about his team and team mate in the preseason runup but it's bringing the focus on him in multiple ways. Giving him a bit of the limelight and making people talk about him. Esssentially he's trying to get further and further away from the shadow of big brother by creating his stories, news adn of course controversy.

With Willi Weber making comments it is a direct slur on this perceived notion that Michael can get away with anything, it seems Mr Weber thinks Ralf can get away with the same things. Possibly none of his business to butt his nose in but to be honest Head and Williams may have needed to be blasted at like that considering the treatment they've given some drivers in the past.

As usual though in F1, nothings black and white, it's always gray.
Old 13 Jan 2002, 21:33 (Ref:198224)   #14
SILVERS95
Veteran

yeah....seems that Montoya has really rattled him man !
Old 14 Jan 2002, 11:50 (Ref:198472)   #15
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by GasMan

With Willi Weber making comments it is a direct slur on this perceived notion that Michael can get away with anything, it seems Mr Weber thinks Ralf can get away with the same things. Possibly none of his business to butt his nose in but to be honest Head and Williams may have needed to be blasted at like that considering the treatment they've given some drivers in the past.

As usual though in F1, nothings black and white, it's always gray.

although sir frank and patrick may have mistreated some (all!!) of their drivers it doesn't seem to put anyone off going there.each driver is well paid and given a fair chance of having a chance of winning the wdc.it seems to have worked well for frank,patrick and the drivers alike.
Old 14 Jan 2002, 13:12 (Ref:198504)   #16
GasMan
Racer

GasMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good point. It may actually be that level of aloofness and professional tack that is what has made Williams F1 so successful in the past. Having said that though, a little passion goes a long way, look at Ferrari.
Old 14 Jan 2002, 17:41 (Ref:198597)   #17
SILVERS95
Veteran

Sometimes ive cursed Frank and Patrick for their treatment of drivers..but in this case, i think Patrick had every reason to give ralf a slagging..if you read my earlier post about the Nigel Robuck article , it justs makes Ralf look so silly.
Old 14 Jan 2002, 19:22 (Ref:198656)   #18