Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 12 Nov 2023, 17:55 (Ref:4185607)   #26
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tocatrucky View Post
Before Hybrid came in, the weights and power were roughly similar. I guess the power gain is offset by the weight which leaves the time differences down to the engineering/design of the car, aero, tyres, and then the variables you've stated.

From what I've heard from drivers who have driven both, the TCR cars feel softer and more pliable, you can chuck them around with more confidence that it won't spit you off. That could explain why drivers who didn't exactly shine in BTCC have done well TCR? Bigger safety net in the handling window.

I’m surprised to hear that considering that the NGTC cars have a ton of body roll, I guess though that doesn’t help when hitting kerbs etc as that is a function of suspension springs and dampers, not the pivoting of the anti-roll bars.
Old 8 Dec 2023, 12:27 (Ref:4188643)   #27
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
https://www.touringcartimes.com/2023...roup-for-2024/
WSC have now formally adopted TCR UK's 'Gen 1' class for other national competitions.

List is slightly extended from TCR UK's original, notably the old-shape Honda Civic. Other models don't currently run in the UK so wouldn't have been consider for the UK list.

Alfa Romeo Giulietta RF TCR
Audi RS 3 LMS (SEQ & DSG)
CUPRA TCR (SEQ & DSG)
Honda Civic Type R FK2 TCR
LADA Vesta TCR
Opel/Holden/Vauxhall Astra TCR
Peugeot 308 Racing Cup
SEAT Leon Cup Racer
Subaru WRX STi TCR
Volkswagen Golf GTI TCR (SEQ & DSG)
Old 14 Dec 2023, 16:55 (Ref:4189028)   #28
AnnoyedMoose
Racer

AnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
I’m surprised to hear that considering that the NGTC cars have a ton of body roll, I guess though that doesn’t help when hitting kerbs etc as that is a function of suspension springs and dampers, not the pivoting of the anti-roll bars.
Surprised me too. TCR cars have more "normal" suspension than NGTC cars so, as I've read in the past, require stiffer setups to maintain geometry when loaded up than the inboard rocker suspension setup of an NGTC car.
Old 23 Dec 2023, 19:32 (Ref:4189728)   #29
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I presume Restart didn’t know they’d be running in the BTCC next year when they announced plans for their entry earlier - will the unexpected BTCC programme and resultant expense mean they drop TCR UK?
Old 23 Dec 2023, 20:17 (Ref:4189730)   #30
SSmith
Veteran

SSmith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
I presume Restart didn’t know they’d be running in the BTCC next year when they announced plans for their entry earlier - will the unexpected BTCC programme and resultant expense mean they drop TCR UK?
I was wondering the same thing. I'd imagine if they can find an interested customer for TCR UK who can bring the necessary money then perhaps they may return - the FL5 didn't exactly shine though in 2023.

The TCR UK grid will definitely be different in 2024. No Smiley (BTCC), Sumpton (TCR Europe), D Wilson (Porsche Sprint Challenge GB), and Jaxon (Porsche Sprint Challenge GB). The Kents left TCR UK during 2023, there's rumours surrounding Boardley returning to the BTCC, and as ever there's a lot of TCR cars for sale online.
Old 23 Dec 2023, 23:29 (Ref:4189741)   #31
Adamcas87
Racer

England
Old hairpin
Adamcas87 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAdamcas87 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The 2 astras will still run next year confirmed by d Wilson

Sumpton will do both UK and Europe

Jaxon did one round and threw his teddies out of pram and sold his car so not a big loss

Can’t see boardley going back to BTCC to run around at the back again
Old 24 Dec 2023, 01:06 (Ref:4189746)   #32
coffinpilot
Racer

coffinpilot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From what was released it appears Bert Taylor will continue with the TCR side of things and his son running the BTCC?

Didn't Bert have some health issues in the last couple of years and say something along the lines of the BTCC being too stressful for him?
Old 11 Jan 2024, 10:44 (Ref:4191414)   #33
SSmith
Veteran

Despite Restart Racing joining the BTCC in 2024 (with Ben Taylor as TP), Bert Taylor will still be involved in TCR UK under the "Taylor Racing Developments" name

https://www.tcr-uk.co.uk/bert-taylor...g-developments
Old 11 Jan 2024, 13:08 (Ref:4191430)   #34
SSmith
Veteran

Will Powell returns to TCR UK with his own team "Sport 77" in an old-spec Honda Civic FK7 TCR. He's running in conjunction with Bert Taylor and JAS, possibly running an FL5 later on.

https://www.tcr-uk.co.uk/will-powell...hapter-in-2024
Old 11 Jan 2024, 14:32 (Ref:4191449)   #35
coffinpilot
Racer

I think the move for Will Powell should be good. Towards the front of the grid (unless a sudden mass move of fellow second half of the field BTCC drivers turn up!)

I was surprised to see Josh Files stepping down to the Honda Civics though. I assume he must also be continuing with Area as a coach? There's a bit of a problem if a driver with his TCR history can't raise a TCR budget (unless he made the decision to not rce there.)
Old 11 Jan 2024, 15:00 (Ref:4191458)   #36
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSmith View Post
"Taylor Racing Developments"
[/url]
With Toyota?
Old 11 Jan 2024, 17:13 (Ref:4191485)   #37
SSmith
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffinpilot View Post
I think the move for Will Powell should be good. Towards the front of the grid (unless a sudden mass move of fellow second half of the field BTCC drivers turn up!)

I was surprised to see Josh Files stepping down to the Honda Civics though. I assume he must also be continuing with Area as a coach? There's a bit of a problem if a driver with his TCR history can't raise a TCR budget (unless he made the decision to not rce there.)
Yes, with Bert Taylor and JAS behind him Powell stands a chance of some decent results and shouldn't suffer from the reliability problems the new FL5 had. It'll also be interesting to see if the mentioned discussions around the FL5 Civic come to anything.

Josh Files is still a big part of the team at Area Motorsport as a driver coach for 2024 in addition to racing one of their Civic Cup cars. A big shame he never raced in BTCC nor got a proper shot in WTCR.
Old 11 Jan 2024, 17:15 (Ref:4191487)   #38
SSmith
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
With Toyota?
Funnily enough when I first read the name my mind jumped straight to the Toyota TRD!

Joking aside, I'd love to see the Toyota Corolla TCR race outside of South America.
Old 12 Jan 2024, 13:09 (Ref:4191570)   #39
SSmith
Veteran

https://www.tcr-uk.co.uk/cedric-bloc...but-in-tcr-uk/

Cedric Bloch joins TCR UK in a DSG Audi RS3 LMS TCR for Simon Green Motorsport with Sport77. Bloch has a spinal injury from a motorbike crash so uses hand controls
Old 12 Jan 2024, 13:35 (Ref:4191576)   #40
jsmee
Veteran

England
Essex, UK
jsmee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So presumably that is 2 entries to the Gen1 Cup straight off? Powell and Bloch? But no mention of the trophy in either press release?
Old 12 Jan 2024, 14:13 (Ref:4191586)   #41
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmee View Post
So presumably that is 2 entries to the Gen1 Cup straight off? Powell and Bloch? But no mention of the trophy in either press release?
6th paragraph in the Bloch story
"His announcement also means that he will be team-mates with Will Powell, whose entry for the new season was announced at the Autosport Show on Thursday, and who will be supporting Cedric’s campaign for the inaugural Gen1 Cup."

Powell will be in an FK7 which isn't eligible for Gen 1 Cup
Old 12 Jan 2024, 14:48 (Ref:4191593)   #42
jsmee
Veteran

England
Essex, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
6th paragraph in the Bloch story
"His announcement also means that he will be team-mates with Will Powell, whose entry for the new season was announced at the Autosport Show on Thursday, and who will be supporting Cedric’s campaign for the inaugural Gen1 Cup."

Powell will be in an FK7 which isn't eligible for Gen 1 Cup
I stand corrected!
Old 21 Jan 2024, 14:49 (Ref:4192702)   #43
coffinpilot
Racer

One of the team bosses at Autosport was saying (I'll be honest, I was eavesdropping a bit) that the Thruxton round is going to cost somewhere between £2,000 and £2,500 more than other rounds.
Goodyear have said that the tyres used everywhere else isn't suitable and they'll need at least 16 tyres that can't be used at any other round (no carryover/spares,) seems that some of the drivers/teams are planning on not going and will use it as a dropped scores round.
Old 31 Jan 2024, 09:04 (Ref:4194349)   #44
antnee
Veteran

antnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridantnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brad Hutchison is back - car unconfirmed (they have a Gen 1 Audi, but used a Gen2 Leon for the final 2 rounds in 2023)
Rick Kerry - full season, in a Gen1 Leon and also in the Gen1 Cup
Jeff Alden - full season in a DW Astra, also competing for Gen1 Cup
Old 31 Jan 2024, 12:42 (Ref:4194379)   #45
coffinpilot
Racer

There's another announcement coming today.
Would be nice if there was a a 2023 BTCC driver making the jump!
Old 31 Jan 2024, 12:54 (Ref:4194381)   #46
jsmee
Veteran

England
Essex, UK
Luke Sargeant has obtained a Cupra Leon. Wouldnt mind betting its him.
Old 31 Jan 2024, 18:19 (Ref:4194419)   #47
coffinpilot
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmee View Post
Luke Sargeant has obtained a Cupra Leon. Wouldnt mind betting its him.
Someone in the know!!
Old 1 Feb 2024, 07:21 (Ref:4194516)   #48
jsmee
Veteran

England
Essex, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffinpilot View Post
Someone in the know!!
Nope, I just follow Luke's Instagram. He's been showing it for a few days.
Old 2 Feb 2024, 16:21 (Ref:4194796)   #49
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Carl Boardley will return in his Cupra

https://www.tcr-uk.co.uk/boardley-co...title-defence/
Old 5 Feb 2024, 17:45 (Ref:4195213)   #50
redshoes
Veteran

Season Launch day will be Thurs 28th March at Snetterton