Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 10 Feb 2001, 15:52 (Ref:63942)   #1
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!

Can someone help me?

I was just watching a tape of the 2000 canadian GP and as I was watching a Minardi getting lapped, at least twice i saw the fuel cover open mid-race.

I may be wrong here (very likely ), but in an effort to stop teams hidding traction control within the pitlane speed limiter, is'nt it manditory that the rear light flashes & the fuel cover comes up whenever the speed limiter button was pressed. If so can anyone explain to me why this cover would be up? (middle part of race during the rain)

Thanx

Wrex
Old 11 Feb 2001, 15:07 (Ref:64200)   #2
AlexF
Racer

United Kingdom
Newbury
AlexF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is just a guess but doesn't the fuel cover pop up when 1st gear is selected?

If it does (all the time and not just during pitstops) then maybe in the rain they needed to go down to first gear.

I thought only the rear light needed to flash when the speed limiter was in use.

AlexF
Old 11 Feb 2001, 20:02 (Ref:64242)   #3
rds
Rookie

rds should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wrex your right. The regulations say that the fuel cover & rear rain light must come on when the rev limiters is in operation. The operation of the fuel cover is by air pressure or hydraulic fluid. The air pressure system dumps its pressure when the rev limiter begins & opens the flap. Should their be not enough air pressure to close the flap after a pitstop, it will remain open even though the rev limiter is no longer in operation. They probably got away without being penalised if they could prove to the scrutineers that the light still came on & their was a separate fault with the flap.
Old 12 Feb 2001, 11:38 (Ref:64350)   #4
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Often the fuel covers came open within the races. It didn't happen quite as much last year due to the new ruling with the light and cover when the pitlane speedlimiter is on.