Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 30 Jun 2006, 22:47 (Ref:1645366)   #1
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Parade lap grid forming delays

Ive noticed over the last few races the back of the grid is really quite sloppy in terms of lining up on the grid, allowing the top few to be sitting stationary for a very long time.

Is this a problem with driver discipline or is it the fault of the lead driver?
I have noticed that Alonso is particuarly bad at backing the pack up in the final few corners, and that at Canada, Michael left a rather big gap between himself and Trulli.

I think there needs to be tighter rules regarding this aspect of the race.
Old 30 Jun 2006, 22:50 (Ref:1645371)   #2
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It used to be a timed aspect I think, whereby the cars had to be lined up by a certain time.

This is how it is though. I remember in 2003 in particular, the Michelin drivers would take an eternity to form the grid to disadvantage the Bridgestone runner (Ferrari). It caused outrage.
Old 30 Jun 2006, 22:52 (Ref:1645373)   #3
Racer Scott
Racer

Racer Scott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I initially thought when I saw that in Canada "maybe they need to do something" - particulalrly when Michael slowed right down and left the top four on the grid for a long time.

However, it didn't benefit him - he lost places at the start.

Why should Alonso back the pack up? If he wants to charge round and sit on the grid for a long time, that's his choice.

It's not caused any harm, so I'm inclined to think "let it be".

We need fewer rules, not more.
Old 30 Jun 2006, 22:56 (Ref:1645379)   #4
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
A little word at the drivers briefing will suffice.

At present the differences are just something to be noticed, understood and enjoyed. Part and Parcel.
Old 30 Jun 2006, 22:57 (Ref:1645381)   #5
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's all a game in the end. And quite fun I think, in a sinister way.
Old 30 Jun 2006, 22:59 (Ref:1645384)   #6
Racer Scott
Racer

It's not new either.

Remember what they did at the Pacific Grand Prix of 1994?
Old 1 Jul 2006, 07:58 (Ref:1645514)   #7
T0MAT01
Veteran

England
Focknowles Weir
T0MAT01 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well I think if I was a driver lining up at the back of the grid, I might be thinking to myself something along the lines of 'hmmm, hows about we just let kimi's engine sit there idling for a little bit longer than he'd really like it to.'

No harm in having one in the bag for later.
Old 1 Jul 2006, 08:58 (Ref:1645537)   #8
goodhorsehymn
Racer

goodhorsehymn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It hasn't caused anybody problems as yet, so there's no need for something drastic.
Old 1 Jul 2006, 08:59 (Ref:1645538)   #9
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Alonso may believe that the Renault's reliability and cold-tyre pace are better than those of other teams, and that they can less afford to have engines overheating and tyres cooling down on the grid than he can. All fair really, and early laps in recent years have seen less mechanical failures and collisions than ever before.
Old 2 Jul 2006, 17:03 (Ref:1646366)   #10
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Ferrari's have a long wait this weekend.
Old 2 Jul 2006, 17:05 (Ref:1646367)   #11
Racer Scott
Racer

What goes around comes around, clearly
Old 2 Jul 2006, 19:07 (Ref:1646623)   #12
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
The Bridgestones need more heat in them than the Michelins do to work properly, thats why the Ferrari's shot off and the Michelin runners (Fisi leading them) didn't.

I found it interesting that Massa seemed "unsure" what to do, keep up with his team mate, or stay back with Fisi and not have to wait so long on the grid. So he seemed to stay an equal distance in the middle of Michael and Fisi. Definately seemed to work for him and he got the jump on Michael.
Old 2 Jul 2006, 22:10 (Ref:1646844)   #13
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
If the leaders are that bothered, well, you know, they can just slow down.
Old 2 Jul 2006, 22:33 (Ref:1646855)   #14
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A slow warm-up lap is a disadvantage for Ferrari though, not in terms of the engine overheating but in terms of the tyres cooling too much to be in the ideal operating temperature for Bridgestone.
Old 2 Jul 2006, 22:43 (Ref:1646860)   #15
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
If it is that much of a problem, well, they can try to get the tyre characteristics development changed. This problem wll affect other Bridgestone runners too, if it is that significant, and thus they would have an interest in addressing it too.

I just don't see the need for altering anything with the parade lap regulations (the essentials are already covered).

Ferrari, and the other Bridgestone runners, are big boys: they will just have to live with it.
Old 3 Jul 2006, 01:46 (Ref:1646927)   #16
Yazz
Rookie

Yazz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Generally, the Bridgestone guys like to do a fast parade lap and the Michelin guys prefer going around a little slower, it's all tactics and part of the spectacle. When you're on pole...you could control the parade lap...but now drivers are a lot more wiser and even the guys in 4th 5th 6th position for eg, are taking their time to form up, not really caring how long the pole sitter is sitting on his grid slot. It's all gamesmanship which is fine...however today the rear of the field were extra sloppy at getting on the grid...I mean Monteiro and Albers seemed to be fast asleep - thats something that can be looked at during the drivers briefing - tail-enders shouldnt be controlling the start of the grand prix.
Old 4 Jul 2006, 22:01 (Ref:1648437)   #17
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton
If the leaders are that bothered, well, you know, they can just slow down.

You may be right, although i believe, (and i'm saying this as a non Ferrari fan, i never want to see them getting an advantage ) that the pole man has the perogative to dictate the pace of the warm up lap, the other's should keep up. If a Renault or McLaren gets pole, the Michelin runners have the advantage, if Ferrari get's pole, the Bridgestone runners get the advantage.
Old 4 Jul 2006, 22:03 (Ref:1648442)   #18
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

The Bridgestone runners never really get an advantage at all though.

If they are on pole, the Michelin runners lag ten minutes behind.

If they aren't on pole, the Michelin runners dictate a horribly slow warm-up lap.

It is dreadfully funny.
Old 4 Jul 2006, 22:06 (Ref:1648447)   #19
Mr V
Veteran

England
You've just highlighted my point.

I have an image of Jean Todt jumping up and down in frustration whenever it happens
Old 4 Jul 2006, 22:07 (Ref:1648450)   #20
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

I remember in 2003 actually it was a fairly big issue at the time and Ferrari got a bit angry about it all.

All's fair in love and war though.