Old 23 Apr 2007, 10:37 (Ref:1898396)   #1
SILK 8
Rookie

United Kingdom
Macclesfield
SILK 8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Health & Safety at Motor Sport Events

What ????

Yep, a joint ACU / MSA / HSE publication from 1999 (ref HSG112 / ISBN 0 7176 0705 4)

Thought you all might like some snippets from it

=> "The Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 (HSW Act) will apply to any event where there is a work activity",
=> "...the site operators are usually responsible for safety at the venue. Their responsibilities include the track, barriers, spectator facilities, car parks etc and ensuring that third parties such as subcontractors are aware of possible risks...."
=> "... the design or route for the track or course and barriers and other protection for spectators, marshals and officials",
=> "the number of officials and marshals needed to run the event safely"
=> "the siting of various officials and the positioning and distance between marshals' posts"
=> "... need to ensure that spectators and marshals are protected from competitors' vehicles or parts of them such as wheels or other flying debris..."
=> "Consider whether you need to construct marshals' posts or other protection....."
=> "Marshals or other officials should be able to carry out their duties without being put at unnecessary risk"
=> There must be an effective briefing to marshals and officials which will include, "procedures for controlling the event, and in particular starting and stopping competitors, dealing with accidents or other dangerous incidents and evacuations"
=> "..system for dealing with competitors' vehicles leaving or blocking the course"
=> "the location of vantage points for officials and marshals - these should be constructed so that the means of access is safe and so that there is no risk of people falling from a height"

OK, just some snippets, but food for thought next time you go to an event. Does the situation at your marshalling point bear any resembalance to any/all of the above.

Who should you advise of any short comings ?
- Your Observer
- The organising club
- The circuit owner/operator
- Your marshalling club
- The local Council's Environmental Health Officer

Just a thought.

Remember Motorsport is Dangerous - it says so on your passes/ticket
Old 23 Apr 2007, 10:50 (Ref:1898410)   #2
Nighthawk
Veteran

United Kingdom
Swindon, Wiltshire
Nighthawk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
A very interesting topic.
we could talk about this for ever
It would be nice to see all of the above installed
Old 23 Apr 2007, 12:53 (Ref:1898539)   #3
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
All of that ought to be common sense in the design, although in my experience it isn't always. On the other hand, some excellently designed marshals points don't follow all of the rules because you can suffer conflicts between safety and visibility, for instance.

Personally I'd hate to see the HSE involved in marshalling. I suspect their non-common sense approach would make the job more difficult and even more dangerous by hindering the free-thinking approach which is often necessary. If they do get involved I doubt that they'd stop at design... This doesn't mean we shouldn't give a high priority to safety, but not the rigid interpretions of an organisation who's main priority is to justify it's own existence.
Old 23 Apr 2007, 13:04 (Ref:1898553)   #4
Zider Drinker
Rookie

England
Playing trains on Gods Wonderful Railway
Zider Drinker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SILK 8
- Your Observer
- The organising club
- Your marshalling club
Ok, this answer's with my RMT Health & Safety Rep hat on!!!

The first 3 are all acceptable...

First point of call should always be with your Observer/IO/Post Chief*. They should follow this up with informing Race Control [organising club], who should then be passing all information onto the Circuit Operator.

The main problem is, how do we know that the reports are being followed up? Should each organising club have a person on the committee looking at Health & Safety at circuits for the marshals and officals? This would then at least create away for problems to be looked at and follow-up action possibly taken if needed. (Or see what improvements have been looked at/are to be done.)

*delete as appropriate
Old 23 Apr 2007, 15:11 (Ref:1898649)   #5
racerkeke
Veteran

Canada
The Great Green North
racerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm not sure the quoted report has a great deal to do with reality. Health and safety can't deal with all variables, and shouldn't IMO.

Sometimes the most effective way to see your portion of the track is from "a height", which, yes, you could fall off of but probably won't if you've got half a brain (eg. chicane at Portland, old T4 at Mosport) -- and if you don't have half a brain why are you there? Sometimes, like at the main T11 flag station at Long Beach, you can't be protected from competitors' vehicles and still do the job. Sometimes a clear sight line from one station to the next doesn't physically exist -- I'm thinking of turns 5 and 6 at Laguna Seca as an example.

Unless this report is saying that the track owners/sanctioning bodies must simply exercise due diligence in ensuring they maintain as much safety as possible? In which case it's a motherhood statement. Less safety = lawsuits, more safety = boring. As Woolley said, it's a balance and occasionally you get your nose rubbed in the fact you've moved too far in one direction or the other. But I hardly see that as a reason to get the government involved. (And coming from a Canadian, that's saying something.)

keke
Old 23 Apr 2007, 20:33 (Ref:1898861)   #6
SILK 8
Rookie

United Kingdom
Macclesfield
SILK 8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Woolley,

'hate to see them get involved', 'tis why the 1st line in the posting/thread is "....a joint ACU / MSA / HSE publication from 1999 (ref HSG112 / ISBN 0 7176 0705 4)"

Yep, 1999 - so they've been involved for some time already.

I'm advised that the MSA were involved in the creation of these guidelines, indeed I understand that when it was first published they sent a copy to all MSA Registered Clubs - so you Secretary from that time should either have your club's copy or passed it one to whomever replaced them.

Actually for a HSE or 'official' publication, very easy to read and understand :
Chapter 1 - Planning for Safety
pre-event planning, event management, track or course design, barriers, pit & paddock sfatey, use and storage of fuel, fire safety, first aid, and reporting accidents & incidents
Chapter 2 - Spectator Safety
Chapter 3 - Competitor and vehicle safety
Chapter 4 - Employee and volunteer health and safety
Noise, manual handling, work equipment, tractors (aka 'snatch), electical safety, hazardous substances, protective clothing and equipment
Chapter 5 - Emergency Planning
Major incident plan, rescue, fatalities
Chapter 6 - References
Chapter 7 - Further information
motor sport organisations
Appendices - i.e. checklist for motor sport organisers, advice for employees on asbestos, relevant legislation

If you take a look at the publication, particularly the references to specific Legislation and Statutory Regulations, and then also look at the MSA 'Blue Book' and MSA Oficials Yearbook, you'll see numerous examples where they are 'singing from the same hymn sheet'.

Thought people might be interested, given some comments in some recent threads. The info's there if/as/when people need it.
Old 24 Apr 2007, 17:24 (Ref:1899468)   #7
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
SILK 8
I am always concerned about the safety of marshals but, like Wooley, would not like H&S to get too involved in motorsports. They would probably make it impossible to marshal and spectate.
IMHO, it sould surely be the circuit owners responsibility, but these things require money. Is the MSA powerful enough to order these things to be done and make sure that they have been, and what if they are not done?
As I have said in earlier threads, there are things that are not right, but I believe it is the job of the marshals clubs to have a good relationship with the circuit owners to try and present our problems, and try and sort them out, which some are doing.
Having fast vehicles racing, with people trackside is always dangerous and without killing the spectacle, you will never prevent freak accidents.
Old 24 Apr 2007, 20:42 (Ref:1899632)   #8
gachjoel
Veteran

Wales
Cardiff
gachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by White flag man

Having fast vehicles racing, with people trackside is always dangerous and without killing the spectacle, you will never prevent freak accidents.
We had a freak accident,luckily not a serious one on the weekend.
Bike meeting,
the circuit is going through a face lift.
Some advert boards had been moved,but not the poles.
rider came in to the tyre wall head on,flew about 20-30 feet through the middle of these poles,very lucky rider.
On scene was CoC,ACU Steward and circuit manager.
After a brief discussion the poles were moved within 10 minutes.
will think twice when on post,nothing is to far away for a rider to hit.
And secondly,adjustments of saftey can be made on the spur of the moment
Old 25 Apr 2007, 06:49 (Ref:1899844)   #9
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gachjoel
And secondly,adjustments of saftey can be made on the spur of the moment
That's a bit of a tricky one, in your case it was a temporary situtation but for permanent circuits and situations the circuit is licensed by the MSA/ACU as it stands.

If a driver/rider is injured and "negligence" (that's a whole big other topic so I'll just use the word) is found, if the organiser/circuit staff have made a change to the circuit they risk taking the liability themselves rather than pushing it back on the Governing Body.
Old 25 Apr 2007, 15:57 (Ref:1900221)   #10
gachjoel
Veteran

Wales
Cardiff
gachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet
That's a bit of a tricky one, in your case it was a temporary situtation but for permanent circuits and situations the circuit is licensed by the MSA/ACU as it stands.
The advert board had been there for about 15 - 20 years and no problem before

This was on a permanant circuit,but the removal of something is always a lot lot easier than putting something in that is more permanant.
But even marshals up to stewards can seem to think it is all safe..
But the freak accident will always throw a spanner in the works
Old 25 Apr 2007, 16:28 (Ref:1900246)   #11
Andrew Palmer
Veteran

England
Peterborough
Andrew Palmer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

The publication is name "Health and Safety ay Motor sport events" then in small text "A guide for employers and organisers".

Now with my Health and Safety Officer hat on

A guide under the HSWA law is just that, a guide. Informing the read of what could be done to prevent incidents.

Where if it was an Approved Code of Practice then it would be tell the reader what must be done to prevent incidents and stop you falling fowl of the HSWA legal system.

The back cover makes better reading.

"This book describes the main risks at motor sport events and some of the steps that can safeguard the health and safety of employee, volunteers and spectators."

"Much of the guidance is relevant to all events, except for Formula 1. There is practical advice for people who are organising events, such as grass track meetings, which do not have a permanent venue."

Now is Formula 1 above UK law or do the HSC realise than Formula 1 will do there own thing any way.
Old 25 Apr 2007, 16:46 (Ref:1900262)   #12
Andrew Palmer
Veteran

England
Peterborough
Andrew Palmer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SILK 8
- Your Observer
- The organising club
- Your marshalling club
SILK 8 any short coming should be past to the Circuit owner / operator to sort out, now how you get that done is a different matter.

But using the EHO or HSE is not the best route. I have found a friendly letter suggesting improvements works. But quoting laws and tell people what to do does not work. Unless you are the law
Old 25 Apr 2007, 17:45 (Ref:1900320)   #13
Jim Lamb
Racer

England
Sutton Coldfield
Jim Lamb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the Booklet that you are referring to was known as the Green Book(Came out about the same time as the purple Book/Guide, which covered Public Events, Festivals etc).

I do have a copy somewhere. From memory it was created following a few nasties at Rallies and 'Short Oval' type meetings.
Regards,

Jim Lamb
Old 25 Apr 2007, 21:53 (Ref:1900488)   #14
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Palmer
SILK 8 any short coming should be past to the Circuit owner / operator to sort out
Spot on, I reckon. If something's a problem and it isn't in the track licence, then it should get done straight away, and it it is in the licence, then it will need to be thoroughly reviewed anyway, and not the work of a moment. If it's something you want a response for, then it should be in writing with a request for feedback. You could also ask the BMMC to make a representation, or the organising club (possibly via your observer and his report pad on the day), but only the circuit operators will have the power to make changes and they might need MSA approval to do so. That's not to say that it wasn't the MSA that asked for the change in the first place.

I have this vague feeling this may not be an idle speculation type thread, so if there is something specific that's set it off, I'd suggest a public forum is not the place to air it. I'd speculate that the best way to get direction and an answer to a specific point is to e-mail Chris Hobson if you're a BMMC member, and I'm sure he'll pass it on to the relevant body or persons.
Old 26 Apr 2007, 08:58 (Ref:1900737)   #15
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Is the above document available on line as the same subject is rearing it's ugly head down under at present.
Old 26 Apr 2007, 11:51 (Ref:1900862)   #16
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVDA
Is the above document available on line as the same subject is rearing it's ugly head down under at present.
No, afraid not.

It is a priced publication sold by our Health and Safety Executive (or whatever it is called today). ISBN 0-7176-0705-4 £11.99 "Health and Safety at motor sports events - A guide for employers and organisers." (No extra charge for the photograph of me on page 43. )

Regards

Jim
Old 26 Apr 2007, 19:40 (Ref:1901173)   #17
Chris Hobson
Veteran

Chris Hobson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If anyone has a problem at a circuit they want to raise to the powers that be, (marshals posts, safety related items, walkways etc. etc.) I am happy to announce that BMMC has been discussing a way forward with BARC and MSV.

We have agreed to set up circuit liaison marshals at each venue. These volunteers will take your comments and suggestions direct to the circuit management and will get back to you with their responses.

The initial team is as follows:-

Cadwell John Watson johnwatson07@btinternet.com 01507 313852

Oulton Park Dave Cleaveley david.cleaveley@NTLworld.com 07800 964074

Brands Hatch Stephen Green s.c.green@btinternet.com 07958 570652

Snetterton T.B.A.

Croft Dave Lea dlea@jordanjag.fslife.co.uk 07814 592922

MalloryPark Fred Bromley barcfb@juniperclose.demon.co.uk 07801 057953

Pembrey Ernie Preece erniepreece@hotmail.com 07773 904195

Thruxton Trevor Jackson trevor.jackson@barc.net 07836 361188

As and when I get the same for all other circuits and venues I will add them to the table which will be maintained on the marshals club website.

Please use these guys rather than just grumbling to your mates, or contacting the H&SE - if we work with the circuits I am sure we can make our lives better.

If anyone has major problems they want to raise, then please give me a call - whether or not you are a BMMC member does not matter, I will happily raise any problems at the highest level necessary.
Old 26 Apr 2007, 21:28 (Ref:1901249)   #18
PeterM
Racer

United Kingdom
Wellingborough
PeterM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
H&S

Thank you Chris. Your hard work on our behalf is much appreciated as always.
Old 26 Apr 2007, 22:42 (Ref:1901312)   #19
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Thanks, Chris, that's very useful.