Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 16 Aug 2004, 16:05 (Ref:1068300)   #1
Vicki
Veteran

England
Stoke
Vicki should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridVicki should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
An Idea

Here is an idea from a non marshal on getting some people interested in marshalling. I intend to marshal when I am older and do not have the stress of exams, in case you were wondering. I once wrote to Top Gear about journalism and they said if I had any ideas to get in touch. So here's the idea, if as many people write to them or email them as is humanly possible, with ideas on what they could print to help raise awareness, they might take notice and do something. Surely the can't ignore lots of letters and emails on the same subject. Wouls anyone be interested in doing it? Also, I'm going to start a Marshals page on my website, so if you have any pictures you think would be good, please let me know. Information on what qualities people need ad who to contact would also be good Thanks and I hope my idea is useful.
Old 16 Aug 2004, 16:16 (Ref:1068311)   #2
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Top Gear came to a training day at Oulton Park two or three years ago; wouldn't hurt to pester them to do a follow-up, though!

Marshalling is a good way of taking your mind off exam stress........
Old 16 Aug 2004, 18:58 (Ref:1068444)   #3
Vicki
Veteran

England
Stoke
Vicki should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridVicki should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have already sent an email to Top Gear saying one of their features would not have been possible if it were not for marshals.
Old 16 Aug 2004, 19:27 (Ref:1068485)   #4
wensleydale
Veteran

England
wensleydale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridwensleydale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
unfortunately, I don't think the new format Top Gear is the place to go to champion a cause. I just get this horrible mental image of them turning any feature about marshals into a fire extinguishing contest. For a short period this may boost numbers, but when they realise they don't get to play with bottles every weekend, most will get bored and wander off
Old 16 Aug 2004, 20:09 (Ref:1068537)   #5
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Regrettably FF we've already tried that one! However, the Marshals Club are working on ideas all the time.

Incidentally, I was at the Bike GP in July and the bike marshals are having the same sort of problems as car people. No interested youngsters coming forward to replace older members who are retiring. Too many people leaving to spend time with families etc. etc.
Old 17 Aug 2004, 07:08 (Ref:1068910)   #6
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
FF whatever you do, don't let us put you off your efforts to get people involved. Could I ask that you put a link to our (British Motorsport Marshals Club) on your webpage? The link is www.marshals.co.uk that at least would be a great help.

As Sheila said above, the BMMC are trying to get new people involved through various means and their efforts are starting to come to fruition. It will take a lot more effort to get our numbers back to the heady heights of 15 years ago, but we will continue to make steps forward I'm sure. Meanwhile, if you have any other ideas please feel free to air them, we don't have the exclusivity on thinking of things and all ideas are welcome.
Old 17 Aug 2004, 07:53 (Ref:1068941)   #7
Vicki
Veteran

England
Stoke
OK, my page is on the site, if you want to look at it the address is www.vickishomepage.bravehost.com and follow the link. There is also a guestbook if you have any thoughts which may be considered off topic here.
Old 17 Aug 2004, 08:15 (Ref:1068966)   #8
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Lovely link Vicki, many thanks from all the marshals for your help.
Old 17 Aug 2004, 08:41 (Ref:1068991)   #9
StephenRae
Veteran

Wales
North West
StephenRae should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello Vicki...I think your web site could be improved by doubling all the font sizes...good luck!
Old 17 Aug 2004, 16:31 (Ref:1069478)   #10
Vicki
Veteran

England
Stoke
Site now comes with a nice picture of some very hard working people. Amazing what the Internet can help you find.
Old 17 Aug 2004, 18:00 (Ref:1069562)   #11
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Phew, what a dodgy looking bunch
Old 17 Aug 2004, 19:16 (Ref:1069668)   #12
F1JordanUk
Racer

England
Stroud, Gloucester, UK
F1JordanUk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I Think Speed Sunday would be a better bet, fill the Studio with us Marshal's all in orange overalls, give the show a Marshal's theme, we'd be fighting for space at the race tracks!
I've sent them an Email with the Idea!

Last edited by F1JordanUk; 17 Aug 2004 at 19:18.
Old 23 Aug 2004, 20:07 (Ref:1075478)   #13
Malc's
Racer

England
Nottingham
Malc's should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
like your idea F1JordanUK but where are most marshals on a Sunday.............
Old 24 Aug 2004, 15:56 (Ref:1076270)   #14
CookieMonster
Rookie

Wales
Manchester
CookieMonster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No more Speed Sunday studio!

Quote:
I Think Speed Sunday would be a better bet, fill the Studio with us Marshal's all in orange overalls, give the show a Marshal's theme
Unfortunately they seem to have canned the studio part of Speed Sunday, starting with this week just gone. I had tix booked for the very last one but got a call saying they wouldn't be doing it any longer
Old 26 Aug 2004, 18:18 (Ref:1078339)   #15
schrammy
Racer

England
Scratby
schrammy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: No more Speed Sunday studio!

Quote:
Originally posted by CookieMonster
Unfortunately they seem to have canned the studio part of Speed Sunday, starting with this week just gone. I had tix booked for the very last one but got a call saying they wouldn't be doing it any longer
So how about Top Gear?
Old 26 Aug 2004, 18:55 (Ref:1078382)   #16
wardworld
Rookie

wardworld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The best way of getting people interested in marshalling (IMHO) is to make them aware that they could quite easily become a marshal.
For about 4 years I ignorantly thought that marshals were employed by the circuit and that as it was their employment, they had to be at every event. I wanted to be a marshal for ages.
It was only because I visited the BARC website and saw the marshalling link, that I found out how easy it was to become a marshal and choose where and when I marshal at.

I think if more people knew what to expect and how easy it is to register, there would be more marshals.
Old 27 Aug 2004, 00:24 (Ref:1078703)   #17
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It might be helpful if any of the circuit websites had a feature on marshalling. The hill-climbs all do, but the circuits seem not to notice us.
Old 27 Aug 2004, 13:11 (Ref:1079152)   #18
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Woolley
It might be helpful if any of the circuit websites had a feature on marshalling. The hill-climbs all do, but the circuits seem not to notice us.
I couldn't agree more. Add the various motorsport websites to that list and we'll be sorted
Old 27 Aug 2004, 16:21 (Ref:1079317)   #19
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
I will have a word with JP and see if we can get something on the MSV website... great idea chaps.