Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 12 Apr 2010, 15:25 (Ref:2671478)   #51
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
There may be a secondary problem in that from what I'm hearing SRO has decided that that GTs are the way forward again.

That's why the F3s were under awnings at Oulton. It's quite crafty because they know the F3 teams will put on a decent show there, whereas with one or two exceptions the GTs either won't or can't.
Old 12 Apr 2010, 17:34 (Ref:2671533)   #52
EastonNeston
Veteran

EastonNeston should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm sure I'm not the only person who finds that the presentation of the GT teams is very poor. Yes I know the financial situation is tough, but it doesn't take a lot to make your garage are or awning look professional.

It's something all the teams in F3 do, and in F Renault.
Old 12 Apr 2010, 17:42 (Ref:2671538)   #53
GroupOfOne
Racer

GroupOfOne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well when you're spending all that on a new 430 every year it's no wonder you can't afford a decent awning.

And yeah, the GT boys are someway behind their F3 and BTCC counterparts in promoting themselves both at, and away from the track. Strange really when you think that their cars are arguably the most easily promotable to the man on the street.
Old 12 Apr 2010, 18:49 (Ref:2671582)   #54
EastonNeston
Veteran

I'd think it was very improbable that having purely 'stand alone' BGT meetings would be as attractive to either the circuits, competitors or SRO as not only would competitor and spectator numbers fall, but the TV and other costs would be proportionately higher.

In 2005 BF3 ran with the LMS series at their four key meetings, Silverstone, Spa, Monza and Nurburgring, that seemed to work well. The meetings were interesting for spectators and there was more common ground between F3 and the LMS series than there is with fiaGT. I feel that f3 should have continued to have been part of the LMS package, it worked for the team, media and spectators.

Last edited by EastonNeston; 12 Apr 2010 at 18:50. Reason: error correction
Old 12 Apr 2010, 19:58 (Ref:2671609)   #55
boyndie
Rookie

Scotland
Scottish Highlands
boyndie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know you've moved on but noticed on the British Superbike coverage the other day that second race starting position is determined by fastest lap times from race one.

With this in mind the F3 format would be better if ;
1. Grid for race one was determined from fastest qualifying lap time from a single qualifying session (as per).
2. Grid for second (half point) race determined from second fastest qualifying lap time. (ie. not quite so important)
3. Grid for full point 40 minute race would be fastest individual lap times from race 1.

This would retain the single qualifying session (although it should possibly be 10mins longer), do away with the mickey mouse "reverse grid" race idea and reward those who try the hardest.

Regarding set fixture lists, I'm not sure if the majority of general public F3 / GT spectators actually bother to plan that far ahead anyway. I suspect the days or weeks leading up to the event and weather forecast nearer the time determine if they go racing or not.

F1 is different league and also tickets in high demand. Planning is essential, the longer you leave it the higher the price.
Old 12 Apr 2010, 21:36 (Ref:2671660)   #56
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastonNeston View Post
In 2005 BF3 ran with the LMS series at their four key meetings, Silverstone, Spa, Monza and Nurburgring, that seemed to work well. The meetings were interesting for spectators and there was more common ground between F3 and the LMS series than there is with fiaGT. I feel that f3 should have continued to have been part of the LMS package, it worked for the team, media and spectators.
It doesn't feel like nearly five years ago but that year might go down as one of the best for circuits.

I agree about the BF3 being a better fit with the LMS, but the trouble is that Stephane Ratel only has a part share in the LMS, whereas he owns the FIA GTs, so it's less expensive to run with them. To be fair the Spa 24 Hours is a great race.
Old 12 Apr 2010, 21:43 (Ref:2671668)   #57
EastonNeston
Veteran

The Spa 24 hours is a great meeting overall, and held on the same weekend each year!

The big question is who are the best people to be 'guardians' of the British F3 series?
Old 13 Apr 2010, 00:06 (Ref:2671729)   #58
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastonNeston View Post
The big question is who are the best people to be 'guardians' of the British F3 series?
That really is the $64m dollar question and it's also a bit like lighting the blue touch paper!

I think I'm going to sit back for a while and see what other people have to say.

In the meantime here's a tip: the first showing of the MotorsTV programme on Oulton is at 21:15hrs on the 14th, so Wednesday or tomorrow in my world.
Old 13 Apr 2010, 11:30 (Ref:2671929)   #59
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's been on a few times already, first of all on Sunday night I think. I Sky Plussed it, just waiting to have some quality time to watch it though.

Channel 4 coverage was on Sunday morning, but it's repeated tonight at 3.35am.
Old 13 Apr 2010, 15:30 (Ref:2672068)   #60
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
I have actually seen it already. The way they covered the three races was a bit strange. There was a top and tail job on race 1 because it was on the Saturday, then full coverage of the sprint race, presumably because they felt it was the most exciting, followed by rather less or certainly no more on the feature race.

There's a classic interview with Martin Brundle and I thought full marks to him for dashing back from Kuala Lumpur to see his boy race. In it he makes a remark that will surely be quoted by F3 teams forever. It's something like: "He (his son) has learnt more in 7 or 8 days of Formula 3 than he has done in the whole of his career so far, to be honest." Remembering that included a season of F2 last year, that's quite some something, but as Martin also says, this year he has two mechanics working full-time on his car and his own race engineer, so it's a different world.
Old 13 Apr 2010, 16:17 (Ref:2672094)   #61
GroupOfOne
Racer

GroupOfOne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was up early on Sunday and saw the highlights. The Brundle interview was, unsurprisingly, quite strong, in particular the quote you've picked out. I can imagine big F3 posters with "He has learnt more in 7 days of Formula 3 than he has done in the whole of his career" Brundle - Five Stars.

I liked the way they never mentioned FPA or F2 by name in the interview, but the world and his wife will know exactly what was meant.
Old 14 Apr 2010, 23:06 (Ref:2672900)   #62
Richard B
Racer

United Kingdom
Oxford
Richard B should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In one interview on the motors tv coverage it was hinted that there were other teams likely to join the series.
Fluid was mentioned in Motorsport news as possibly looking to rejoin British F3
Old 15 Apr 2010, 05:00 (Ref:2672951)   #63
EastonNeston
Veteran

With the Euro series down to about 15 cars, it will be interesting to see if any teams make the jump ito the British series. Financially it would make sense as there would be a small currency exchange benefit for teams based in the Euro zone.

Sadly I don't think that SRO have spotted the positive opportunity that exists with the problems in Euro F3.
Old 15 Apr 2010, 11:12 (Ref:2673080)   #64
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
runshaw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If anyone misses the Motors or Channel 4 coverage, 4OD (On Demand) have a British F3 International Channel on youtube, showing the full episodes. Its already got the races from Oulton on, and also has all of the 2009 episodes on, together with all the races from British Formula Ford and GT as well.

Link: http://www.youtube.com/show/britishformula3
NB. The first round at Oulton is at the very bottom of the page.
Old 15 Apr 2010, 12:22 (Ref:2673109)   #65
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Just a warning for anyone viewing the coverage of Oulton, I'm on it!
Old 15 Apr 2010, 18:07 (Ref:2673266)   #66
Richard B
Racer

United Kingdom
Oxford
Richard B should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
So am I
Old 16 Apr 2010, 23:14 (Ref:2673937)   #67
Charlies
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham
Charlies should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A bit late to the discussion, but having been at Oulton I thought I'd add my view.

I thought the second race was one of the better races I've seen at Oulton in the past five years, and that on a circuit where overtaking is easier, such as Silverstone, we'll see a lot more action.

I sympathise with the purist view of reverse grid races, but given British F3 sees itself as the 'University of Motorsport' and championships like GP2 have the same system, I think it can be argued that it provides the drivers with an opportunity to improve their race-craft. With the race counting for half-points it isn't likely to distort the championship standings or penalize the fastest driver too much.

As for the third race; well it was a long 40 minutes. It's not going to be a thrilling event after the order has been established in the opening laps as the tyres don't seem to deteriorate much. I suppose it's justified on the basis it prepares drivers for longer races, but I struggled to maintain my interest. However, I'm not convinced artificial pitstops would improve the show.

Finally, kudos to MSV for opening up the viewing area down towards the Shell Oils Hairpin. Just another example of why Palmer is the best man to take on Donington Park.
Old 17 Apr 2010, 23:00 (Ref:2674524)   #68
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Six Jolly Fellowship Porters
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
Old 17 Apr 2010, 23:48 (Ref:2674548)   #69
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlies View Post
Finally, kudos to MSV for opening up the viewing area down towards the Shell Oils Hairpin. Just another example of why Palmer is the best man to take on Donington Park.[/FONT][/COLOR]
It wasn't that good, ok you can see more (especially at an exciting place), but it was just an extra fence with loads of mud behind it, there was nothing to it. Totally unprofessional! But then again, I love Oulton more than any other circuit in the UK.
Old 19 Apr 2010, 07:54 (Ref:2675579)   #70
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by runshaw View Post
It wasn't that good, ok you can see more (especially at an exciting place), but it was just an extra fence with loads of mud behind it, there was nothing to it. Totally unprofessional!
So what do you want? After a prolonged period of wet weather you're going to get mud. Oulton was pretty muddy everywhere that weekend - I can't remember ever seeing the run-off at Island as muddy as it was over Easter.

Your "unprofessional" comment is totally unwarranted & an insult to a group of people who have put in a lot of hard work over the winter for the benefit of people like you.
Old 19 Apr 2010, 14:24 (Ref:2675867)   #71
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by runshaw View Post
If anyone misses the Motors or Channel 4 coverage, 4OD (On Demand) have a British F3 International Channel on youtube, showing the full episodes. Its already got the races from Oulton on, and also has all of the 2009 episodes on, together with all the races from British Formula Ford and GT as well.

Link: http://www.youtube.com/show/britishformula3
NB. The first round at Oulton is at the very bottom of the page.
That's a very good link. Thanks.
Old 19 Apr 2010, 22:05 (Ref:2676202)   #72
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Six Jolly Fellowship Porters
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
This video contains content from Channel 4, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.
Cruel but not unusual.
Old 20 Apr 2010, 19:45 (Ref:2676853)   #73
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand View Post
Your "unprofessional" comment is totally unwarranted & an insult to a group of people who have put in a lot of hard work over the winter for the benefit of people like you.
Keep your hair on! I benefit from being at Oulton on a regular basis and have done for 13 years even though i'm only 23, be it spectating or driving on the circuit myself. There was no insult there whatsoever. I was merely stating that basically all it is is a longer fence which allows you to see the hairpin. With regards to professionalism, then no, its clearly nothing like Silverstone or Donington but everyone knows that. I'm glad its there, FYI.
Old 21 Apr 2010, 19:59 (Ref:2677501)   #74
Alex K
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
Alex K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHoyer View Post
And those tracks are better!
... than Knockhills and the likes.