Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 28 May 2001, 07:19 (Ref:97647)   #1
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
CAMS Getting tough on Drugs Use

MEDIA STATEMENT FROM CAMS

TRIBUNAL HANDS DOWN PENALTY FOR CANNABIS USE

The tough approach promised in 2000 by CAMS towards any sign of drug use in
motor sport has been put to the test. Super Touring driver, Peter Hills has
been disqualified from holding a CAMS licence for five months after being
found to have tested positive to cannabis.

A CAMS tribunal hearing this week confirmed the positive test, the sample of
which was taken following Hills' competing in a round of the Australian
Super Touring Championship at Wakefield Park (NSW) on 28 January 2001.

Hills was disqualified from the event and will also will lose any
championship points gained from his 4th and 9th places in the two
championship races on the day. Furthermore, any prizes he may have won in
motor sport in the period 28 January through 30 June 2001 must be returned.

Speaking after the hearing, CEO of the Confederation of Australian Motor
Sport Peter Hansen said, "There is no room for drugs in any sport,
especially motor sport, where not only is a competitor in charge of his own
actions, he must have complete control of his car. We all know that cars
can be dangerous when a driver does not have complete control.

"CAMS will continue to be tough on competitors who abuse not only the
regulations of motor sport, but the laws of the land. We cannot tolerate
drug abuse", he concluded.

ends
Old 28 May 2001, 08:12 (Ref:97675)   #2
Ray Bell
Veteran

Ray Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh? Nice to see... but will it be another rule to be flouted in Victoria, tolerated in South Australia, enforced in NSW and overused in Queensland?
Old 28 May 2001, 11:41 (Ref:97753)   #3
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
heheh...

I don't know if I could see Hillsy smoking whacky tabaccy....but then again...

I thought it was standard practice at TOCA meetings to get a bit of green thrown in with your program, sort of makes the day go a lot quicker
Old 28 May 2001, 11:55 (Ref:97762)   #4
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They should be handing out the joints to the crowd who pay for 'entertainment ST style' no the competitors. At least Mary Jane has some value in releaving pain.
Old 28 May 2001, 12:10 (Ref:97768)   #5
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've never believed Peter Hills was closely related to Albert Einstein, but this really takes the cake. How stupid was this bloke, to race a car, while chemically enhanced.
Old 28 May 2001, 12:35 (Ref:97774)   #6
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hmmm, I don't think (i bloody well hope not) that he would have been floating with the pixies when at the track...can't that stuff stay in you blood for a while??
Old 28 May 2001, 13:39 (Ref:97796)   #7
Accee
Rookie

Accee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep..Crash Test...it can stay in the blood for months.
but that isnt an excuse I dont think.
Recreational drugs in sport dont mix....and why should drivers be any different form other sports people.
Old 28 May 2001, 13:46 (Ref:97802)   #8
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
"Furthermore, any prizes he may have won in motor sport in the period 28 January through 30 June 2001 must be returned."
-Now give me back your $15...
Old 28 May 2001, 21:19 (Ref:98027)   #9
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hope it was worth it Mr Hills.
Lucky for everyone involved that alcohol doesn't stay in your system for as long or we would have no competitors at all.
Old 29 May 2001, 04:16 (Ref:98158)   #10
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Cambridge Gardens, NSW, Australia
Buckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBuckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe that's why nobody in the ST field can catch Paul Morris...he's the only one not sucking down spliffs in the pits.
Old 29 May 2001, 06:23 (Ref:98176)   #11
hypo
Racer

hypo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
if cams went around and tested everyone with a cams license for pot smoking, there would be no racing to watch,

i don`t want to turn this into a drug law reform thread, but let me just say this---i can`t see any difference between having a toke here and there and having a drink there and here, just that one of them can be detected in your bloodstream for up to 3 months (oh yeah, and it`s illegal)
Old 29 May 2001, 06:33 (Ref:98179)   #12
Alan Jones
Veteran

My thoughts exactly Hypo
Old 30 May 2001, 10:54 (Ref:98740)   #13
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think you guys might be surprised to find that if they did blanket drug testing on all competitors it would make virtually no differnece to the grid. Not only do the majority of Australians never touch illegal drugs, most racers couldn't afford them. We figure that any money not spent on the race car is money wasted.

I for one, however would welcome alcohol testing prior to competition, the jury may still be out on pot etc. but there's no doubt about the ill effects of booze.
Old 30 May 2001, 11:04 (Ref:98746)   #14
RaceTime
Veteran

Had an interesting discussion today with someone in CAMS (nameless for obvious reasons) about this.

As he pointed out - drug testing COSTS CAMS $500 for each test - so it isn't done lightly. Events like World Superbikes, 500cc and AGP are done routinely, hoerver, at this stage, other events are not.

Other problem connected with drug testing is that it is NOT something that be done on the spur of the moment - like breath tests. An example was last week at Ph Island - a competitor fronted who appeared to be under the influence of drugs - spaced out, glary eyes etc. Concern was raised and, after some discussion, the doctor was asked to assess the driver.

When he was able to get to him - around 30-40 minutes after concerns raised - the doctor could find nothing wrong with the driver. Now, whether he had gone off and taken something else or what is not known - but the ONLY evaluation that could be done was a look and see by the doctor - nothing else.

I am also aware that NASCAR drivers at the Thunderdome were warned 3 years ago as it was reasonably well known that some drivers were takig 'something' - tests were threatened until cocts became known.
Old 30 May 2001, 11:35 (Ref:98770)   #15
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Actually since this has come up, I've been chatting to a few differnt people, and some of the stories of guys getting on the waccy at the race meetings sort of shocked me...probably the last car i can dig up was about 4 years ago...but still...
Old 31 May 2001, 10:16 (Ref:99226)   #16
nz_tourer
Rookie

nz_tourer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
An interesting debate. I agree Hypo. As far as I am concerned, a smoke is no different to a social drink, but I wont get into that, but I think the main issue is that the subastance is illegal. I too would be very suprised to hear of any pro driver take a drug and then drive, as it has been said, THC stays in the system for some time so it is hard to know when it was taken. I heard of a driver down here, one who openly was just in this particluar series to "lighten everybody up", he apparently inhaled before driving, isnt racing anymore. THere is definitely no room for drug use in motorsport, but punishing someone who used a substance no more dangerous than alcohol, a legal drug, is wrong.
Old 1 Jun 2001, 02:08 (Ref:99570)   #17
hypo
Racer

hypo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
David, maybe I was streching the truth a bit about there being no racing to watch but, I think that you would be suprised at the amount of Australians who HAVE touched illegal drugs.

nz tourer, i agree--if anyone is taking drugs at the track (legal or illegal) they should have their license taken away ,but they shouldn`t be busted for something they do in their private time, How do you police this?
It`s a very scary thought indeed that some drivers get zonked before going out to race, but as previously stated, it`s hard to prove if a positive reading was from a smoke five minutes ago or five months ago.Saliva tests are getting more accurate and this is the way to check if someone is under the influence.
Old 1 Jun 2001, 02:13 (Ref:99571)   #18
RaceTime
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by hypo
but they shouldn`t be busted for something they do in their private time, How do you police this?
But how do you determine when the effects of something have completely worn off? Some people are affected for many hours longer than others by alcohol. Similarly with tablets etc - so where do you draw the line?
IMO the line has been set such that if ANY amount of any drug is detected, then you are deemed to be under the influence of that drug.
Again, IMO, this is the only ine that can be taken - clear cut and EVERYONE knows exactly where they stand.
Old 1 Jun 2001, 04:40 (Ref:99593)   #19
Diabando
Veteran

Australia
Victoria, Australia
Diabando should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDiabando should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This is interesting, and I have been watching this thread for a few days now.

First point I suppose, is that rules are rules. For someone to be 100% committed to racing - no matter what the class - it means you have to respect the rules. No exceptions or excuses.

Now, for my opinion ...

MJ has, as far as I am concerned, the same attributes as Alcohol. Moderate amounts, on a non regular basis is fine, and fun. But overuse and abuse of either substance leads to nothing but trouble. Neither susbstance should, under any circumstance, ever be used at any time, over a race weekend (or testing days - whatever).

David P - where have you been? No offense meant here at all, but pull your head out of the sand!
Old 1 Jun 2001, 11:15 (Ref:99697)   #20
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
How about those Speedway drivers in Western Austrlia who were caught recently?

Now, for my opinion

Having gone through the public school system, and having gone on a ski trip with a bunch of pot heads, I am aware that there are an awful lot of drugs out there, and its often the people who you would least suspect...

Now, this isn't a CAMS system of drug testing- it goes by IOC standards etc, so I think you would agree, they would probably be the fairest you could get. If you know you are taking drugs, or even passively taking them in (as in Hill's case) you know you're going to have to wear the consequences.

As for the dangers of drugs vs alcohol vs jumping off a bridge, those sort of arguements really don't belong here, but dems the rules I guess...
Old 2 Jun 2001, 11:06 (Ref:100125)   #21
Michael Hickey
Rookie

Michael Hickey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Can anyone remember the AMP1000 a few years ago when a Ford Mondeo backed down the hill into the pits against the traffic,was that the Peter Hills team?
Old 2 Jun 2001, 11:48 (Ref:100137)   #22
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Yeah, that was in 1997, i think both of his cars rolled backwards down the hill at various times, but IIRC he wasn't at the wheel of either cars when they were playing silly buggers. Wasn't Terry Skene given a life ban or something for his part in the incidents?
Old 3 Jun 2001, 10:31 (Ref:100386)   #23
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Crash, Terry Skene has a life ban???????

Dia, et al, I guess I just mix in different circles, cause I'm sure illegal drug taking is still a minority sport. But then, mostly i hang out with other racers and as I said, we really can't afford any other hobbies.
Old 3 Jun 2001, 11:03 (Ref:100404)   #24
Alan Jones
Veteran

You know, reading this thread has got me thinking.....
MJ could be a way of financing my career as a race car driver!
1. Move to South Australia
2. Make lots of friends
3.get all my new friends to grow 10 plants each or whatever the legal limit down there is
4.Sell the MJ to the highest bidder (preferably not anyone who races!)
5.Invest in a Brand new Ferrari or Diablo and call myself TEAM GREEN AUSTRALIA!

Sorry, couldn't help myself.
While not being against the use of MJ, smokin wacky on the ole race track I would never condone and while I'm at it, having tried smoking and driving down the road in my youth, about the only award you'd pick up racing stoned is for last place.(unless they were racing for munchies!) I remember thinking I was flying down the road and when I looked at the speedo, amazed I was only doing 30 miles an hour MAN, which was FAROUT DUDES ! Talk about spinning me out man..Like... COOOL !!

Im sure you get my point !
Old 3 Jun 2001, 11:08 (Ref:100406)   #25
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Daivd- I think a couple of them were banned....but it was overthrown because it was a bloody stupid penalty....