Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Closed Thread

Old 11 Oct 2005, 21:56 (Ref:1431238)   #26
flexible-flyer
Veteran

Northern Ireland
the british isles/ireland/ze vorrrld
flexible-flyer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella
not if he wasn't paying as much, no...
oh yeah!

i forgot this was motor racing and not football we were talking about!
Old 27 Oct 2005, 13:54 (Ref:1445099)   #27
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Are Piquet gonna continue running Nelsinho or will he take a drive with one of the other teams like ART or Sears?
Old 27 Oct 2005, 16:47 (Ref:1445267)   #28
Jackman
Veteran

Jackman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Piquet and Negrao are staying with Piquet Sports.
Old 27 Oct 2005, 19:57 (Ref:1445437)   #29
Emma
Racer

England
Shropshire, UK
Emma should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Isn't Alvaro Parente going to GP2? Because he's told me he was off to Paris [yesterday] for a seat fitting, surely can't be for the A1 cause why would it?
Old 28 Oct 2005, 00:50 (Ref:1445606)   #30
Jackman
Veteran

ART's factory is in Fontainebleau, which isn't a million miles from Paris.
Old 28 Oct 2005, 09:15 (Ref:1445832)   #31
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Testing for them maybe but i doubt they'd sign him for race drive. DAMS is more likely destination for him?
Old 28 Oct 2005, 12:00 (Ref:1445994)   #32
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Or maybe Parente could stay with Carlin in GP2 if they manage to secure the new team entry for 2006? For now I'd guess he's planning to do the Jerez GP2 test with a French team, be it ART or DAMS (he tested for DAMS and iSport at the last test).
Old 28 Oct 2005, 16:37 (Ref:1446162)   #33
Jackman
Veteran

I can't really see Carlin getting a spot on the GP2 grid next year - there is already pressure from the existing teams not to allow another team in, and if they do expand the grid it's likely that GP2 would want a team from somewhere not already represented by a number of teams (the most obvious region being Germany).

Trident in Italy are pushing for a spot on the grid, and they have people close enough to the series to help their case. That said, the Italians (particularly Coloni) will do everything they can to stop them coming in for 2006.
Old 28 Oct 2005, 22:26 (Ref:1446401)   #34
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sounds like F1 levels of self-interest...

italiaracing.net reported that Trident supposedly failed to come to an agreement with Prema Powerteam to step up to GP2 together, and that now it looks like they could place Bruni with Durango, as Durango don't want to sell their team. Can't be sure of my translation though...
Old 29 Oct 2005, 01:57 (Ref:1446483)   #35
DanFlag
Veteran

Canada
Montréal, Québec, Canada
DanFlag should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDanFlag should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Antoine Bessette invited to test with GP2 champion team

Looking to fill the seat left empty by 2005 GP2 champion Nico Rosberg who is heading to Formula One with Williams-Cosworth, ART Grand Prix team has invited Canadian driver Antoine Bessette for a two-day testing session at the circuit Paul-Ricard next December 1st and 2nd

source: Michel Poirier-Defoy

For the 23 year-old driver from St-Bruno, Quebec who won two rounds of the Toyota Formula Atlantic Championship in Toronto and Montreal while finishing third in the standings, this is a unique opportunity to join the GP2 series, Formula One ladder series. GP2 stars as undercard in eleven grand prix weekends out of twelve programs.

"This is an honor to be invited to test with a GP2 team, said Bessette, especially with the 2005 champion team, ART Grand Prix. I know they have a very short list of candidates because they can only test for six days in the off-season. We are presently negotiating and I hope we come to terms for the benefits of both parties. What an exciting opportunity this would be to race in the GP2 series. I feel I can hold my ground after my Atlantic season. I know I can drive at this level."

ART Grand Prix, the champion team

In its first GP2 season, ART Grand Prix had two talented drivers with Nico Rosberg and Alexandre Prémat. In the series that replaced Formula 3000, team principals Nicolas Todt and Frédéric Vasseur earned the championship and by the same token put Rosberg in a Formula One seat.

The GP2 racing machine is a Dallara carbon fiber chassis powered by a V8 500+ hp Renault engine, a seven speed gearbox with steering paddle shift, carbon brakes and Bridgestone tires. Each program is a double header totaling 24 races in the calendar.

Outstanding credentials

Antoine Bessette should be the only North-American driver to be invited for these test days. With the test period limited to only six days, guest drivers are selected from a very short list and come from all around the world.

Bessette selection came from a group of experts who felt the Gilles-Villeneuve Award winner filled the criteria for that series.

A two-time winner in Toronto and Montreal in the Toyota Atlantic series and third overall in the standings, Bessette was awarded the most prestigious honor after the series title. The Gilles-Villeneuve Trophy is conferred annually "to the driver who possesses extraordinary ability, has that special "star quality" and who has been distinguished through sportsmanship, dedication and perseverance in the face of disappointment".

Negotiating for 2006

While there are discussions going on with ART Grand Prix for the December test, Bessette is also considering returning to the new Formula Atlantic series that will debute in April. An announcement will be out when a decision is reached.

Antoine Bessette takes the opportunity to thank the large number of fans who took some time to visit his web site at www.bessetteracing.com
Old 29 Oct 2005, 16:35 (Ref:1446852)   #36
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
guest drivers, my arse. there's a bit of truth-bending in that, isn't there?!
Old 29 Oct 2005, 16:39 (Ref:1446859)   #37
Jackman
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondownunder
Sounds like F1 levels of self-interest...
I don't believe it is. Look at it this way - prices were set for seats up and down the grid depending on a number of factors, such as input from the series, ability to bring home points, etc, and the 24 drivers were set at the start of the year. The problem is that everyone, particularly the series itself, under-estimated costs for the year.

Fred Vasseur himself said that he only just broke even for the year despite winning everything and getting bonuses for doing so, and wondered aloud how the remainder of the teams got through the year.

There is a school of thought, and I can see their point of view, that says the current 12 teams were loyal enough to sign on the dotted line for a brand new series, putting their money where their mouths are. Every other team, including Carlin, had the opportunity to come in last year, but they all chose not to risk it. Given that most of the current teams actually committed for 3 years, and most of them lost money this year, I think it's understandable that they would like at least a year to get their teams back on a more even keel.

Added to this is a thought I had earlier in the year - there are currently 24 places for drivers in GP2. Are there honestly many more drivers out there that are a. worthy of competing at that level and b. have the financial backing to allow it? Most people assume that racing should be merit based, but I think that most people here would at least acknowledge that racing doesn't work like that.

As it stood, in 2005 there were only 2 additional drivers to compete in the series from those who started it, which is astonishing in junior level racing (hell, it's even surprising in Formula One). Those two drivers - Mondini and Vilander - both struggled slightly against a strong field, but both showed they had some talent.

Obviously there will be more talent pushing to get in, and talent pushing to stay. But given that every team had the ability to come in last year, that the cost increases were largely out of the current teams hands, and that the volume of drivers with ability and budget is finite, I think it's probably wise to keep the grid at the current level, at least for one more year.

If there are a huge number of funded drivers pushing to get in for 2007, then certainly it could be revisited, but I think it's fair for the series to show loyalty to the teams which were loyal to the series.
Old 29 Oct 2005, 20:21 (Ref:1447017)   #38
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Absolutely spot on.
Old 30 Oct 2005, 16:48 (Ref:1447646)   #39
bradrive
Racer

Brazil
Italy&Spain&Brazil
bradrive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackman
I can't really see Carlin getting a spot on the GP2 grid next year - there is already pressure from the existing teams not to allow another team in, and if they do expand the grid it's likely that GP2 would want a team from somewhere not already represented by a number of teams (the most obvious region being Germany).

Trident in Italy are pushing for a spot on the grid, and they have people close enough to the series to help their case. That said, the Italians (particularly Coloni) will do everything they can to stop them coming in for 2006.
Trident will not have the ressources to create a team. They will sponsor BRUNI in a team yet to be decided (may be Durango).
The German team could be Team Rosberg.
Old 2 Nov 2005, 14:26 (Ref:1450447)   #40
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

I thought Trident was the team set up by Fizzi and his manager Zanarini? If so it's likely that funding won't end up being a problem if they get an entry - or merge with one of the existing outfits?

As for Bessette - i'd like to see how he goes, but i seem to remember the likes of Rice, Valiente, Bertrand Godin and a few others coming from Lights or Atlantics and impressed in testing not gone on too get drives or not made the most of the opportunity?
Old 2 Nov 2005, 16:59 (Ref:1450596)   #41
bradrive
Racer

Brazil
Italy&Spain&Brazil
bradrive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer
I thought Trident was the team set up by Fizzi and his manager Zanarini? If so it's likely that funding won't end up being a problem if they get an entry
Zanarini and Fisichella set up FMS Racing in 2005 and ran in 2005 and will run in 2006 in F3000Italia technically supported by Durango. They have no intention to go into GP2.
Old 2 Nov 2005, 20:14 (Ref:1450789)   #42
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hmm....how come Steven Kane gets to test the GP2 development car and isnt doing it with a normal team?
Old 3 Nov 2005, 12:28 (Ref:1451265)   #43
Jackman
Veteran

It's only fair - his manager drove that car earlier in the year.

By the way, Trident is owned by Bruni's manager Maurizio Salvadori (who is more famous in Italy for being the manager of singers Jovanotti and Eros Ramazotti) and Clarence Seedorf (Milan and Netherlands footballer), and has nothing to do with Fisichella.
Old 3 Nov 2005, 12:39 (Ref:1451275)   #44
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
yeah, didn't damon hill use steven kane as a bargaining tool? smart bloke...
Old 3 Nov 2005, 14:15 (Ref:1451321)   #45
Russfeld
Veteran

I dont see how its fair? Otherwise the Campos F3 drivers should be getting runs in the test car. If you want test, pony up with a team like any other driver.
Old 3 Nov 2005, 16:22 (Ref:1451378)   #46
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Thanks Bradrive and Russfeld for correcting me for the faux paz on team ownership!

Interesting the points raised about certain derivers gaining an advantage by driving the test car -

I thought the only advantage a driver could gain is by ensuring they get a seat in one the ART cars?!

Seriously though i'm not sure Kane will benefit greatly from having a run in the test car - although i guess you mean the financial angle that perhaps Kane won't be paying for a test and it being a favour that Damon engineered for him? In which case you've got a point

Mind you perhaps Kane will be asked to run in one of the existing teams cars instead?
Old 3 Nov 2005, 16:54 (Ref:1451396)   #47
Russfeld
Veteran

A series should avoid all favoritism and any perceived favoritism. Dont let drivers who intend to race drive the test car, dont let certain drivers not run series required logos when the rest of the field does, etc.
Old 3 Nov 2005, 17:11 (Ref:1451412)   #48
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Yes, rules are rules and something that suits one person should also be possible or available) for everyone else.

Same thing in a way as circuit testing when if a championship is not permited to test at a given venue drivers who are likely to be competing there get round it by entering a one off different race or test a different car there... isn't that a bit naughty?!

BTW speaking of testing will the series test at Silverstone before next season? I was bit miffed that organisers decided not to before start of '05 when 3000 had always tested there for years.
Old 3 Nov 2005, 22:02 (Ref:1451641)   #49
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella
yeah, didn't damon hill use steven kane as a bargaining tool? smart bloke...
Or was it the other way around? Wonder who'll be quicker, assuming same circuit and similar conditions etc...
Old 4 Nov 2005, 10:52 (Ref:1451976)   #50
Jackman
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer
BTW speaking of testing will the series test at Silverstone before next season? I was bit miffed that organisers decided not to before start of '05 when 3000 had always tested there for years.
No - for whatever reason, GP2 only tests at Paul Ricard and Spain.
Closed Thread