Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 18 Sep 2007, 18:51 (Ref:2017252)   #26
Valker
Veteran

Finland
Tampere, Finland
Valker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is Turkey considered as Asian or European country? Is Zuber Asian enough?
Old 18 Sep 2007, 19:21 (Ref:2017286)   #27
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Right, let's do a tour around single seaters to see who may or may not race.

F3 Euroseries
Kaumi Kobayashi (Japan, 21 yrs) - currently 4th with one win, second year in F3. Isn't he a Toyota developement driver? Anyhow, I'm guessing he'll probably be in GP2 next year. Might as well do GP2 Asia to get some experience.

Basil Shaaban (Lebanon, 27 yrs) - Not that he's got a future, but probably got the money.

British F3 International Series (National Class)
Cong Fu Cheng (China, 23 yrs) - Lots of Formula Renault experience, and have done A1GP, but surely more likely to be in the main BF3 class next year? He does however seem keen to do more than one thing each season, so I guess you never know.

Hamed Al Fardan (Bahrain, 20 yrs) - Formula BMW Asia and Formula V6 Asia experience. In the running for a seat with Meritus perhaps?

Salman Al-Khalifa (Bahrain, 26 yrs) - No, not really.

Formula 3 Asia Pacific
Moreno Soreprapto (Indonesia, 25 yrs) - Been in AF3 for ages, 3rd in the championship this year. Does he have the budget? No idea.

Euroseries 3000
Ananda Mikola (Indonesia, 27 yrs) - He's got the experience but seems to be rooted to A1GP. My guess is that he'll stay there.

Formula Renault V6 Asia
Armaan Ebrahim (India, 18 yrs) - 2nd in the championship. I'm sure some Indian backers will be along to put him in a seat.

International Formula Masters
Tor Graves (Thailand, 35 yrs) - You know, he's done so many almost-GP2 level series that I won't be surprised if he turns up in another one.

Rodolfo Avila (Macau, 20 yrs) - Ah, the not-so-great Avila. Would be surprised to see him turn up, actually.

GP2 Series
Jason Tahinchi (Turkey, 24 yrs) - It is so dumb it might actually happen. Not short of cash, and has done extra events outside of his GP2 schedule before.

World Series by Renault
Fairuz Fauzy (Malaysia, 25 yrs) - If he's planning a return to GP2 he might as well do this, even if he's going to stay in WSR for another year.

To recap:
Kaumi Kobayashi
Basil Shaaban
Hamed Al Fardan
Moreno Soreprapto
Armaan Ebrahim
Tor Graves
Jason Tahinchi
Fairuz Fauzy

As others have said, you're really going to have to look for a long time to find 12 or 13 Asian drivers to fill those seats. Those eight drivers listed above is what I think is possible, but only 4-5 of those feel like they are anywhere near certain.
Old 18 Sep 2007, 19:21 (Ref:2017287)   #28
Jackman
Veteran

Jackman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go_For_Pole
Invaluable at 0,6m?! Roughly the same amount to do WSR? So who will be more proven in competition terms for teams, the next Asia champion or the next WSR champion?
Assuming you've got the right figure, of course.
Old 18 Sep 2007, 19:24 (Ref:2017297)   #29
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
runshaw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Chandok, Nakajimi, Tung, Fauzy, Khan, Ebrahim, Al Fardan, Cheng, Kobayashi, Ide...There's at least a few who would be quite capable I think.
Old 18 Sep 2007, 19:25 (Ref:2017300)   #30
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
Oops I was beaten to it!
Old 19 Sep 2007, 01:56 (Ref:2017547)   #31
Asa
Veteran

Hong Kong
Disneyland
Asa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by runshaw
Chandok, Nakajimi, Tung, Fauzy, Khan, Ebrahim, Al Fardan, Cheng, Kobayashi, Ide...There's at least a few who would be quite capable I think.
That's just being optimistic. We don't even know what kind of TV promotion package is available yet for such a big investment from the drivers. If GP2 Asia can agree deals with all the major TV channels in China, Japan, Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia, Hong Kong, Singapore, Bahrain, Dubai, India...etc, then we maybe talking. Not that many TV companies are interested to cover racing over here for free. I do not see any motorsport on TV in Hong Kong except the Macau Grand Prix unless I pay up for NOW TV.
Old 19 Sep 2007, 07:42 (Ref:2017636)   #32
Go_For_Pole
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Go_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGo_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackman
Assuming you've got the right figure, of course.
Well, obviously I am not an insider like you so I can only quote what was reported by a respected website. Is it so far off?

On the list of possible drivers, they are still not enough and even some of them are quite marginal on talent. For example Armaan Ebrahim was teamate for a couple of races on A1GP with the Greek drivers and Taki Kaitatzis was either matching or beating him. That's with Taki doing no preseason testing and with limited seat time because was sharing the ride with others. Not to take away anything from Taki because he is quite handy behind the wheel but even he was admiting that he was not pushing that hard because a) he didn't want to risk damage b) he had no mileage in single seaters (and even then he drove F3s) for five years. Ebrahim although quite likeable was really struggling and really I can not see how he could be reasonably near the pace in a difficult car like GP2.
Old 19 Sep 2007, 11:03 (Ref:2017798)   #33
Lam Pak
Veteran

Lam Pak has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!

i think only Asa knows what is writing. asia hasnt drivers ready to pay half million to race 5 rounds. Gp2 Asia born to fit some a bunch of japanese factory drivers plus some wannabee asian drivers like Chandhok or Fauzy and Arabic millionaires. no more money here.

BTW: in my map republic of Turkey is in europe
Old 19 Sep 2007, 11:35 (Ref:2017826)   #34
Alex K
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
Alex K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Andre Couto, Adam Langley-Khan, Cemil Cipa, Petrol Ofisi drivers
Old 19 Sep 2007, 14:59 (Ref:2017994)   #35
Lightning Bug
Racer

Lightning Bug should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lam Pak
BTW: in my map republic of Turkey is in europe
On my map most of Turkey is in Asia
Old 19 Sep 2007, 15:04 (Ref:2017997)   #36
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asa
That's just being optimistic.
I wasn't saying those drivers are going to race in the series so how can you call it optimistic; I was giving a few examples that Asia does have some decent drivers.
Old 19 Sep 2007, 19:29 (Ref:2018211)   #37
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Yes runshaw, the region has produced the odd good driver, but since more backing and infrastructure has been invested in such countries it's bound to start to produce more and more good drivers.

Fact: Bernie and co want Chinese, Indian and other Middle East and Asian drivers coming through to F1 in the next few years because F1 (assuming the current F1 continued!!) is going to keep adding races in the region.

Having GP2 going there will only speed up this possibility as the category is already recognised elsewhere as a the primary feeder for F1 and runs on the same bill as F1. It makes snes to exploit that in F1's main target market.

Tung and Chandhok have proved they are on the right tracks ability wise and then Cheng is another on his way. All 3 could be F1 drivers in 1-3 years, the knock on effect of that will be massive.
Old 20 Sep 2007, 01:47 (Ref:2018412)   #38
Asa
Veteran

Hong Kong
Disneyland
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer
Cheng is another on his way.
Cheng has been on his way for ages... he was teammate to one Lewis Hamilton in Formula Renault some 3 or 4 years ago... I suppose it is not altogether fair to compare him with the hottest thing in world motorsport today, but then again, what's the point of trying to reach F1 if you can't beat the best? Anyway I kind of remember his goal in life is to be the first Chinese F1 driver but not the first Chinese F1 world champion.

The three drivers you mention are Chinese and Indian by nationality, but GP2 Asia is not racing in these two countries! Imagine, if you will, an Asian racing series tries to attract British drivers into it, by establishing a European sub-series and have races in Germany and Italy.

Is it so hard to host a race in China? Harder than hosting races in Indonesia and Malaysia? I don't think so.
Old 20 Sep 2007, 07:11 (Ref:2018496)   #39
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Bug
On my map most of Turkey is in Asia
Was called 'Asia Minor' when I was at school.Politically seems to want to join Europe.As its only circuit in just over the bridge from Europe I think it should be part of European series.Racing has been held in India,Malaysia,Singapore,Indonesia since the 70s at least.Philipines and middle east more recently though Israel tried in 1970.Only Thailand seems to have ever produced a decent driver,B.Bira,and that was before WW2!
Old 22 Sep 2007, 14:13 (Ref:2020441)   #40
Martin Haven
Veteran

England
Royal Leamington Spa
Martin Haven should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMartin Haven should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMartin Haven should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob29
Was called 'Asia Minor' when I was at school.Politically seems to want to join Europe.As its only circuit in just over the bridge from Europe I think it should be part of European series.
Blimey!

according to the "New Geography", Britain, only 22 miles from France, is therefore French...

merde alors, as they (don't yet but clearly will have to soon) say in Kent
Old 22 Sep 2007, 14:15 (Ref:2020443)   #41
Martin Haven
Veteran

England
Royal Leamington Spa
Martin Haven should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMartin Haven should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMartin Haven should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Am I also wrong to think that Japan is in Asia?

Surely there are a few JF3 hots-hoes who would do well to try their luck in the GP2 cars away from the hot-bed of European up-and-comers, so they can get to grips with the cars and then assess their chances in a full GP2 season before spending the money...
Old 22 Sep 2007, 16:09 (Ref:2020500)   #42
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Haven
Am I also wrong to think that Japan is in Asia?

Surely there are a few JF3 hots-hoes who would do well to try their luck in the GP2 cars away from the hot-bed of European up-and-comers, so they can get to grips with the cars and then assess their chances in a full GP2 season before spending the money...
I think they prefer to go to F.Nippon,Martin?
Old 22 Sep 2007, 16:17 (Ref:2020507)   #43
Asa
Veteran

Hong Kong
Disneyland
Japan has Formula Nippon and that's where most of the JF3 hot shots go. They get more support from Honda and Toyota in the series. Some of them might want to try GP2 Asia but I think it is not very likely without a race in Japan.

A1GP competes very directly against GP2 Asia for drivers too. A1GP may not be great but at least it has a theme and is easy to understand.
Old 22 Sep 2007, 19:10 (Ref:2020580)   #44
Martin Haven
Veteran

England
Royal Leamington Spa
I agree with the last two posts regarding the cosy world of F Nippon... and would suggest that's probably why Japan has such a lamentable record in F1... they all like to be big fish in a small pond...

My thinking was that it might just tempt the more adventurous, outward-looking drivers, who might like to have a stab at F1, before returning to live it up on the standard, very generous, Nippon/Super GT double-salary for the next decade... or two...
Old 22 Sep 2007, 19:13 (Ref:2020585)   #45
Martin Haven
Veteran

England
Royal Leamington Spa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asa
A1GP competes very directly against GP2 Asia for drivers too. A1GP may not be great but at least it has a theme and is easy to understand.
The real problem with A1 GP is that you cannot just approach a team with your budget and do a deal... you have to be chosen...

Good, if you're the only driver of note in say Malasyia or Pakistan... not so good if you have the misfortune to be half-decent but born in GB, USA, France, Germany etc etc etc

And that's aside from the god-ugly 1970s Scalextric devices they are saddled with (no offense to mid-70s Scalextric devices intended or implied...)
Old 23 Sep 2007, 09:52 (Ref:2020853)   #46
Valker
Veteran

Finland
Tampere, Finland
Valker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The real problem with A1 GP is that you cannot just approach a team with your budget and do a deal...
I don't think that's true for all the teams/nations.
Old 23 Sep 2007, 12:36 (Ref:2020928)   #47
Asa
Veteran

Hong Kong
Disneyland
Quote:
The real problem with A1 GP is that you cannot just approach a team with your budget and do a deal... you have to be chosen...

Good, if you're the only driver of note in say Malasyia or Pakistan...
That's why GP2 Asia will find it hard to get Asian drivers. Why pay to race in GP2 when you can get paid (or at least not having to pay) to drive? Remember, once a driver starts getting paid then he considers himself a professional and will request payments for every outing.

Nobody likes to be a "pay driver" and Asian drivers are no exception.
Old 24 Sep 2007, 08:34 (Ref:2021505)   #48
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asa
That's why GP2 Asia will find it hard to get Asian drivers. Why pay to race in GP2 when you can get paid (or at least not having to pay) to drive?
I would say that for the drivers, mentors and sponsors will think it probably doesn't necessarily matter about the driver getting paid for it at this stage. It's about the ambition and timescales.

The question will be: Which series offers the best chance of the driver and sponsor getting to F1 quicker, A1 or GP2 (via the Winter series first!)?

I suspect that any drivers looking to 'sell' themslves to sponsors will centre on the link between GP2 to F1....
Old 25 Sep 2007, 08:27 (Ref:2022362)   #49
Jackman
Veteran

Jackman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go_For_Pole
Well, obviously I am not an insider like you so I can only quote what was reported by a respected website. Is it so far off?
As with the main series, the Asia series will be priced differently depending on the driver involved, but I'd say in general you're quite a bit over the asking price: the whole point of the series is to be a possible stepping stone into the main series for drivers that might not otherwise be known, so there's no point in charging huge amounts for an entry.

Although I suspect the spare parts bill will be somewhat higher than in the main series, considering the difference in ability of the drivers.
Old 25 Sep 2007, 11:45 (Ref:2022514)   #50
Go_For_Pole
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Go_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGo_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hope you are right although today I have read some interesting tidbits about this which claim the opposite (links is in German I am afraid)

Warum die GP2 Asia für die Teams Sinn macht