Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 11 Sep 2009, 09:16 (Ref:2538307)   #1
olly83
Racer

United Kingdom
olly83 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Monza kerbs

Watching practice 1 I forsee 2 possible scenarios for the start of the GP

1, The cars attempt to take the first chicane as normal but the massive kerbs funnel them together and without being able to run a bit wide, contact will be inevitable

2, The drivers decide to avoid possible contact in T1 and cut the corner even more so than they did before as they now have to avoid the kerbs.

I'm not really sure why they have been introduced. Can anyone enlighten me?
Old 11 Sep 2009, 09:54 (Ref:2538333)   #2
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
I guess it's to stop people "short cutting" the kerbs. But as you say, people can just move even further in and short cut them.

Selby
Old 11 Sep 2009, 09:54 (Ref:2538334)   #3
bravo
Racer

England
North East England
bravo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To stop people cutting the apex?

I can see a few flying cars... wonder how far a 650kg car will fly after hitting a 80mm high curved kerb at 50mph...
Old 11 Sep 2009, 10:14 (Ref:2538351)   #4
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
I think that there'll be a bit of 're-shuffling' and a few penalties handed out at this one.
Old 11 Sep 2009, 10:29 (Ref:2538362)   #5
olly83
Racer

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by bravo View Post
To stop people cutting the apex?

I can see a few flying cars... wonder how far a 650kg car will fly after hitting a 80mm high curved kerb at 50mph...
That's what I mean. In practice 1, Trulli spun and hit the kerb at low speed but the car was bounced violently enough for a few pieces of carbon fibre to fall off.

As I see it, the kerbs will stop deliberate corner apex cutting but punish small mistakes unfairly (not to mention breaking up the rythm of the circuit)

The race starts are traditionally where most of the corner cutting occurs but as I said in my original post the T1 kerbs look like they wil funnel the cars together creating more chance of a crash.

In my opinion, I dont think it's necessary to have that amount of tarmac run off at that corner and the fact that it is there encourages the corner cutting. If you had the old style kerbs and grass/gravel on the inside, you would discourage deliberate corner cutting without resorting to damaging cars which do, and at the same time cars can tiptoe through the gravel if they do overcook it
Old 11 Sep 2009, 10:33 (Ref:2538366)   #6
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Yeh to be quite honest I think the old layout did a fair job of funnelling out short-cutters without penalising small mistakes.

Selby
Old 11 Sep 2009, 10:45 (Ref:2538379)   #7
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
So what would they do if they were walls instead of curbs?
Old 11 Sep 2009, 10:47 (Ref:2538383)   #8
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
Bring out some serious red flags!!!

I know what you mean though... Wouldn't you just love to see the effect it'd have. The drivers would be up in arms!

Selby
Old 11 Sep 2009, 11:16 (Ref:2538416)   #9
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
It was announced during the week that this had been done, following precedents set successfully elsewhere.

Previously some cars were able to ride the kerbs successfully, but others could not.
Old 11 Sep 2009, 11:34 (Ref:2538429)   #10
olly83
Racer

United Kingdom
Tarmac run off has created shortcuts which people will use and the FIA are now chasing their tails trying to think of ways to stop people driving on it!

Look at Spa last year. If Hamilton had to bump along over the grass there would be no question of him deliberately trying to gain an advantage because there would have been no advantage to gain!!

The answer is not big kerbs, speed bumps etc... Put grass back and the driver will be disadvantaged by having to drive over it therefore no FIA investigations...

..Or is that too sensible?!
Old 11 Sep 2009, 11:57 (Ref:2538443)   #11
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
Man if the FIA hear you talking that amount of sense........................!!

Selby
Old 11 Sep 2009, 12:44 (Ref:2538475)   #12
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
I missed the first free practice session, but have caught up now.

The new kerbs don't look too bad to me and there are plenty of places where the old kerbs have been retained so that cars like the McLaren can use them freely. It's interesting that over the years the Macs have always been good over kerbs.
Old 11 Sep 2009, 12:50 (Ref:2538479)   #13
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Too sensible Olly, for sure.

Some of the drivers are moaning I hear. These are probably the ones wishing they were in one of the cars that can handle the kerbs well. The McLaren looked alright over them this morning.
Old 11 Sep 2009, 13:20 (Ref:2538491)   #14
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
Must say, i'm getting a bit fed up with "the best drivers in the world" not bothering with the 1st chicane...

Selby
Old 11 Sep 2009, 16:42 (Ref:2538621)   #15
neiltb
Racer

Scotland
toronto
neiltb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think they find it's all to easy to look like the worst driver in the world if you don't make it through it.
Old 11 Sep 2009, 16:54 (Ref:2538630)   #16
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
instead of higher kerbs why would monza redirect the chicane and make it longer or wider in so short cutting couldn't happen?
those things are huge! so wicked in the super slo-mo.
Old 11 Sep 2009, 20:35 (Ref:2538760)   #17
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Rettifilo now is dreadfully dull. I much preferred the old double chicane they had pre-2001
Old 12 Sep 2009, 09:46 (Ref:2538941)   #18
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
Ant Davidson was saying on the TV coverage of this morning's practice session that he didn't like the look of the kerbs at all and, having spoken to some of the drivers, they don't like them either.
Old 12 Sep 2009, 10:30 (Ref:2538959)   #19
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Reminds me of the tyre stacks in 96. They took out a few drivers in the race
Old 12 Sep 2009, 11:02 (Ref:2538974)   #20
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
It was interesting to here some of the reasons behind the kerbs being there in the first place.Someone mentioned that the McLaren's were good over them in previous races and that the Ferrari's were not.
Old 12 Sep 2009, 11:12 (Ref:2538979)   #21
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes jab. I remember some drivers being non-plussed with the tyres on the pole in 1996, but I read somewhere that drivers weren't aware that those things were solid until they hit them.
Old 12 Sep 2009, 12:52 (Ref:2539012)   #22
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
They do remind me of the controvertial tyre stacks of 1996, just wait until a car spins sideways, hits them, then flips over and they will soon get removed.
Old 12 Sep 2009, 13:26 (Ref:2539025)   #23
Fox89
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leamington Spa, UK
Fox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think these kerbs are excellent. Sure, it could cause some first corner problems, but last year cars were cutting the apex way too much, and not getting penalised for it. The second chicane could be almost straight lined by some of them! These kerbs make damn sure you drive the track properly, and I'm all in favour of them.
Old 12 Sep 2009, 16:43 (Ref:2539108)   #24
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Hear Hear!!

If you stay between the white lines, what kerbs?
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 12 Sep 2009, 17:01 (Ref:2539119)   #25
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Rettifilo now is dreadfully dull. I much preferred the old double chicane they had pre-2001
I much more preferred getting rid of the first two chicanes.