Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 15 Jul 2018, 03:58 (Ref:3836722)   #1
nasportscar
Veteran

United States
Wisconsin
nasportscar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnasportscar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
PWC: 2020

Format changes announced:
http://nasportscar.com/sro-motorsports-group-and-pirelli-world-challenge-present-2019-season-plans/

Longer 90 minute GT3 with shorter schedule. Traditional GTS Sprint, regional GTS w/Am SprintX format, customer teams only in Touring Car categories
Old 15 Jul 2018, 04:36 (Ref:3836724)   #2
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
TRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Overall I think that these changes will be for the better, but I have a lot of questions.
Will the seven GT race weekends feature two 90 minutes races or only one main race?
Will all GT race weekends be stand alone events?
Will the regional GT4 series rob the main GTS class of a lot of entries?
Will the GT4 regional series ever run at the same events as the regular GTS class?
I think I'll feel a lot better once the 2018 schedule is released. Right now it's pretty unclear what the series will really look like next year. Hopefully the changes will result in more consistency and more GT entries.
Old 15 Jul 2018, 04:38 (Ref:3836725)   #3
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
TRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
http://nasportscar.com/sro-motorspor...-season-plans/
http://world-challenge.com/latest/se...-season-plans/
Old 15 Jul 2018, 08:37 (Ref:3836737)   #4
schmidder
Racer

United States
Folsom, CA
schmidder should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You would think this kind of info would have come with the schedule, otherwise it is super vague and leaves as many questions as answers

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 15 Jul 2018, 11:12 (Ref:3836770)   #5
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
90 minute two-driver races could bring in some Ams with money to stem the bleeding in GT, but I think it's a short-term fix. Despite it's initial boom, GT3 is just not proving to be the runaway success in the US that it's managed in Europe and Asia.

This may work short-term, but unless GT3 gets it's costs under control the numbers will drop again after a few years.

Maybe PWC should take a page out of Super GT's book. They've got TWO other types of cars in the GT300 class that can perform competitively with GT3s.
Old 15 Jul 2018, 13:32 (Ref:3836792)   #6
nasportscar
Veteran

United States
Wisconsin
nasportscar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnasportscar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidder View Post
You would think this kind of info would have come with the schedule, otherwise it is super vague and leaves as many questions as answers

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Schedule will be out on a couple of weeks. I think the calendar will be good for the series, especially GT3, as a whole.
Old 16 Jul 2018, 23:36 (Ref:3837047)   #7
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
Interesting article from Racer.
https://racer.com/2018/07/16/insight...store-for-pwc/
Quote:
.......That factor — and economics — are driving the move to seven weekends of two 90-minute races, which will include the new element of refueling.

Quote:
.....Tracks considered likely to return are COTA, Road America and Watkins Glen.

I'm starting to really like the sound of this new format. As long as we can get a decent number of entries, next year could be mega!
Old 17 Jul 2018, 13:47 (Ref:3837126)   #8
nasportscar
Veteran

United States
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRspitfirefan View Post
Interesting article from Racer.
https://racer.com/2018/07/16/insight...store-for-pwc/

I'm starting to really like the sound of this new format. As long as we can get a decent number of entries, next year could be mega!
The season finale race should be liked by folks as well. I'm excited for the schedule.
Old 27 Jul 2018, 01:21 (Ref:3838992)   #9
nasportscar
Veteran

United States
Wisconsin
As expected the name World Challenge should see broader usage next year for SRO events/series
Old 27 Jul 2018, 20:19 (Ref:3839181)   #10
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
https://racer.com/2018/07/27/2019-pi...les-announced/

2019 Pirelli GT World Challenge

March: Austin
April 27-28: Virginia
May 18-19: Mosport Park
June 8-9: Sonoma
Aug 31-Sept 1: Watkins Glen
Sept 21-22: Road America
Oct 5-6: Grand Finale

GTS Pirelli World Challenge

March 9-10: St. Petersburg
July 13-14: Portland

GT4 America East

GT4 America West

April 6-7: Palm Springs
May: California TBD
Old 28 Jul 2018, 19:46 (Ref:3839544)   #11
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
The SRO's revived GT2 class sounds like it would be of great benefit to PWC: https://sportscar365.com/sro/sro-rel...or-2019-debut/

And given the SRO's stake in PWC, I'm sure we'll see this class in PWC before long.
Old 28 Jul 2018, 20:50 (Ref:3839619)   #12
jjvincent
Racer

jjvincent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjjvincent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Best idea ever and it will cut costs. Having a new class is what we were all looking for when it comes to cutting costs. This is because we need to cut costs in racing and the best way to do it is to introduce a new class. As we all know we need to cut costs because it's getting too expensive today. So cutting costs is a way to enable growth in the series by cutting costs. Cutting costs will just make the longevity of the series grow by cutting costs.

In conclusion, cutting costs what needs to be done to cut costs.
Old 30 Jul 2018, 00:55 (Ref:3840083)   #13
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
https://racer.com/2018/07/27/2019-pi...les-announced/

2019 Pirelli GT World Challenge

March: Austin

GTS Pirelli World Challenge

GT4 America East

GT4 America West

April 6-7: Palm Springs
May: California TBD
I like it! I'm already planning next years Road America trip. Now we just have to wait and see if we can get a decent number of entries.
Old 30 Jul 2018, 12:25 (Ref:3840153)   #14
JLGarcia
Racer

JLGarcia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJLGarcia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaFox View Post
The SRO's revived GT2 class sounds like it would be of great benefit to PWC: https://sportscar365.com/sro/sro-rel...or-2019-debut/

And given the SRO's stake in PWC, I'm sure we'll see this class in PWC before long.

I was just saying last week that I really want to like World Challenge, but they just don't have enough classes. This, plus the convoluted naming structure, is truly a step in the right direction.
Old 31 Jul 2018, 14:36 (Ref:3840355)   #15
jjvincent
Racer

jjvincent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjjvincent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLGarcia View Post
I was just saying last week that I really want to like World Challenge, but they just don't have enough classes. This, plus the convoluted naming structure, is truly a step in the right direction.
You forgot that we need more driver rankings so then we can make more classes. For GT and GTS we need to use the nomenclature that Sears did many years ago which was Good, Better and Best. For this to work we need to add 2 more levels of rankings. One needs to be in between Silver and Gold while another below Bronze. This way we will have:

GTB (Best)
GTb (better)
GTG (Good)

GTSB
GTSb
GTSG

For the East series
GTSBE
GTSbE
GTSGE

For the West series
GTSBW
GTSbW
GTSGW

Using a lower and upper case "B" will alleviate any confusion too.
Old 31 Jul 2018, 17:59 (Ref:3840408)   #16
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
Per S365:
Quote:
Despite not appearing on the initial schedule release, Long Beach could be added to the GTS Pirelli World Challenge season, according to WC Vision President and CEO Greg Gill.
Adding Long Beach would depend upon whether GTS teams are interested.

Also Las Vegas is among the options for the GT Grand Finale.
Old 31 Jul 2018, 18:33 (Ref:3840422)   #17
jjvincent
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMightyM View Post
Also Las Vegas is among the options for the GT Grand Finale.
If PWC had half a brain, they'd do it in Vegas during the SEMA Show.
Old 15 Aug 2018, 21:00 (Ref:3843895)   #18
cbbrit
Veteran

Jersey
Sonoma, California
cbbrit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcbbrit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some updates for 2019:

https://sportscar365.com/world-chall...ails-revealed/
Old 27 Aug 2018, 23:33 (Ref:3846621)   #19
nasportscar
Veteran

United States
Wisconsin
TCR Cup coming http://nasportscar.com/pirelli-world...lass-for-2019/
Old 28 Aug 2018, 13:47 (Ref:3846722)   #20
WolfsburgRS
Veteran

United States
Baltimore, MD
WolfsburgRS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very interesting development with the TCR 'Cup' class. In speaking with the FCP guys I know they've been more and more vocal about the BOP between the sequential cars (Honda and Hyundai) and their DSG cars. They jokingly invented their own 'DSG class' at Portland and I guess the series took that and ran with it?

I wonder what a Ryan Eversley type would be able to do with one of the DSG cars, in back to back sessions comparing one to his Honda.

Do we now if DSG Cup will run within the current TCR racers? Class within a class
Old 28 Aug 2018, 15:53 (Ref:3846744)   #21
nasportscar
Veteran

United States
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfsburgRS View Post
Very interesting development with the TCR 'Cup' class. In speaking with the FCP guys I know they've been more and more vocal about the BOP between the sequential cars (Honda and Hyundai) and their DSG cars. They jokingly invented their own 'DSG class' at Portland and I guess the series took that and ran with it?

I wonder what a Ryan Eversley type would be able to do with one of the DSG cars, in back to back sessions comparing one to his Honda.

Do we now if DSG Cup will run within the current TCR racers? Class within a class
Pierre Kleinubing took a DSG car and lead a practice session at Utah. There's also Ams with SEQ gearboxes that aren't dominating the DSG cars, so I think the majority of this issue is still a Pro VS Am thing than anything else...but that's just my opinion
Old 28 Aug 2018, 18:10 (Ref:3846760)   #22
WolfsburgRS
Veteran

United States
Baltimore, MD
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasportscar View Post
Pierre Kleinubing took a DSG car and lead a practice session at Utah. There's also Ams with SEQ gearboxes that aren't dominating the DSG cars, so I think the majority of this issue is still a Pro VS Am thing than anything else...but that's just my opinion

Probably so. I know the VAG TCR cars (and I assume most other makes) are very hard on tires so tire management and managing grip and pace without excessive wear is probably a pretty big component as well.
Old 29 Aug 2018, 19:57 (Ref:3846954)   #23
jjvincent
Racer

I was wondering why it took so long for the announcement since there's already a DSG class in Europe. In the end, it comes down to, will PWC just use the Club version of the VW/Audi/Opel for the TCR Club and then the SEQ version for the TCR class? I would guess the answer is "yes". This is good news for VAG because with 2019 being the last year for the current Golf, this will be a way for the Europeans to unload some cheap cars on the US market before they all will be required to go with the Golf 8 in 2020. What I mean by required, is that there will be no support for the 7 come 2020, so nobody will rent it and thus they become a club level car worth 10 cents on the dollar. That'll mean $35K used TCR cars next year.

I am happy to see that there's another class and we have finally got driver rankings for all of the classes except for TCA.
Old 29 Aug 2018, 20:26 (Ref:3846961)   #24
nasportscar
Veteran

United States
Wisconsin
I will buy a $35k VW TCR in 2020..if the wife approves
Old 30 Aug 2018, 14:25 (Ref:3847069)   #25
WolfsburgRS
Veteran

United States
Baltimore, MD
I can't see them making the SEQ version of the VAG cars required. The Sadev SEQ trans is easily double the rebuild cost, and requires it twice as often. I think the only reason a lot of the smaller independent teams can afford to run the series is that they can afford the DSG service costs.

The Club sport versions have smaller brakes, no air jacks, less power, and aren't homologated for competition. They're also not much cheaper compared to the TCR DSG version.