Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 21 Nov 2018, 16:51 (Ref:3864811)   #616
Aysedasi
Shy and Retiring.....
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Then there's that Scottish driver, Hamish Lewilton.........

49/268
Old 21 Nov 2018, 17:49 (Ref:3864820)   #617
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
I like this thread,it just needs a theme song...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b5aW08ivHU
Old 21 Nov 2018, 17:53 (Ref:3864822)   #618
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
Veteran

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Then there's that Scottish driver, Hamish Lewilton.........
He is very famous.
Old 21 Nov 2018, 18:28 (Ref:3864830)   #619
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjimclark should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjimclark should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
'Has been getting the job done, no?

jimclark
Old 28 Nov 2018, 15:20 (Ref:3866634)   #620
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
some fairly strong words by Brawn about the gap between the top 3 and the rest of the field.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14...eptable--brawn

"Two podiums from a total of 123 [across the two seasons] is unacceptable, especially when it comes with an ever increasing technical and financial divide

"It's a problem we are tackling together with the FIA and the teams, because the future of Formula 1 depends on it.

"There are various solutions on the table and we must all accept that we can't go on like this for too much longer."

however it remains to be seen what if anything he or FOM can or will do about this but at least they acknowledge it...which i suppose is something.
Old 28 Nov 2018, 15:24 (Ref:3866637)   #621
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

EffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsedEffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsed
What's strong about them? He's pointing out the obvious yet offers no solution. I'm not even sure there is that big of a problem.
Old 28 Nov 2018, 16:40 (Ref:3866649)   #622
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjimclark should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjimclark should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by EffectiveSprinkles View Post
He's pointing out the obvious yet offers no solution. I'm not even sure there is that big of a problem.
As usual, my stand.
Solution? Solution for what?? The best are on top, where they should be. This is F1, not Indycar.
As usual, I don't see a problem at all. Rules set...do your best. That's always been F1.

jimclark
Old 28 Nov 2018, 17:18 (Ref:3866657)   #623
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

EffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsedEffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsed
If Renault were anywhere near where they should be there would be no complaints anyway.
Old 28 Nov 2018, 17:22 (Ref:3866659)   #624
coppice
Racer

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcoppice should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcoppice should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I agree , and some of the trouble with less informed fans is that they view F1 as just another motor-based TV entertainment . Hence they make spurious comparisons with entirely different disciplines , such as NASCAR and Moto GP.

BUT ...that doesn't mean I have to accept that whatever dish F1 cooks up I will like more than its previous ones.

What is key is this , I think -

- overtaking need not be frequent , but it must happen, on track and not in the pits , nor with the intervention of artifice like DRS. One car needs , with driver skill, to be able to overtake the one it has caught. And to do so without every move then being at the risk of being protested and (for Chrissake ) 'investigated'

- penalties need to be reserved , not for mistakes , nor engine blow ups but only for cases where the motive for a move is to push the other guy off

- cars need to be spectacular enough in looks , speed , noise and body language to be a thrill to watch , and for the driver's skills to be apparent , even if a car is running by itself and not in a fight for position

- cars need to be diverse , especially in looks and noise. That points to different engines being used and more freedom being given to exploring different approaches to the same problem

- budgets become absurd when car manufacturers are involved , especially when they are teams in their own right as opposed to funders, or makers and sellers, of engines. They show no interest in the sport's long term objectives , have far too much leverage but can walk away on a whim

- F1 has proved itself incapable of showing any understanding , or interest, in what the people who ultimately pay their wages (you and me ) want. They think we think that tyre compounds are fascinating , they think we agonise about pit stop strategies and they think it isn't just them who care much about constructors. We don't , not really , we care about the drivers

I could go on ....
Old 28 Nov 2018, 18:05 (Ref:3866666)   #625
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

Some good points but I wonder what the problem with DRS actually is? This year it's proven its worth, providing exactly what you say should happen. DRS makes it possible for cars to get close to attempt a pass. This was very evident in Brazil for example. DRS made the car behind get close, but he still had to do the work.

DRS is in essence nothing else than allowed active aerodynamics. The rules surrounding it could use a tweak or two but other than that I see no reason why people get their pitchforks out about it. The only reason I can think of is a vague calling it 'artificial' because it's not old school.
Old 28 Nov 2018, 18:16 (Ref:3866670)   #626
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
If it was active aerodynamics and anyone could use it any time then nobody would have a problem with it. But calling it allowed active aero is like claiming that #fanboost is simply allowed active engine mapping. Technically true, but when it's restricted in specific ways, it doesn't really fit that description anymore.
Old 28 Nov 2018, 18:33 (Ref:3866677)   #627
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

It's restricted because it's meant to solve a very specific problem. It's also not unique, an F1 car also only use a certain amount of hybrid energy per lap. And fuel per race/hour. It's active aero and it's allowed with certain restrictions like pretty much every single technology in F1. As I said, we can look at the restrictions to decide what works and what doesn't. For example, I find it silly that a lapped car gets DRS when behind the leader and the other way around.
Old 28 Nov 2018, 18:52 (Ref:3866682)   #628
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Perhaps this is all looking in the wrong direction?

What if there were only 15 races per season and the teams were allowed (say) four weekemds of testing anywhere they liked?

Less is often more and for the fans the opportunity to watch cars testing for lesser cost woukd also tease up the following races. Also teams could test new drivers without the blazing spotlight of a full on race weekend.

The only reason we have 21 races now is to make money for F1.com.
Old 28 Nov 2018, 19:16 (Ref:3866686)   #629
P38 in workshop
Racer

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimclark View Post
As usual, my stand.
Solution? Solution for what?? The best are on top, where they should be. This is F1, not Indycar.
As usual, I don't see a problem at all. Rules set...do your best. That's always been F1.

I have to agree re the rules.The problem is the disparity in income through things like the Ferrari sweetheart deal and Bernie's individual arrangements.If they all received the same amount for participating and the best received more due to performing well it would be less unfair.We seem to have moved on from the era when cars were covered in names nobody had ever heard of and the sponsors these days do seem to be known entities.
Old 28 Nov 2018, 19:43 (Ref:3866692)   #630
Richard Casto
Subscriber
Veteran

United States
Durham, NC, USA
Richard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimclark View Post
As usual, my stand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by P38 in workshop View Post
I have to agree re the rules.The problem is the disparity in income through things like the Ferrari sweetheart deal and Bernie's individual arrangements.If they all received the same amount for participating and the best received more due to performing well it would be less unfair.We seem to have moved on from the era when cars were covered in names nobody had ever heard of and the sponsors these days do seem to be known entities.
I agree. I do think jimclark is potentially being a bit disingenuous because there are things people like to conveniently like to forget...

1. F1 (as it is today and as it is likely to remain) is in the entertainment business first and is a competition second. The former allows the latter to happen.

2. Getting the largest budget is the real race, the on track stuff is secondary. People can trot out the Toyota example to try to disprove this. Toyota was the exception and not the rule. RARELY someone will rise up and over achieve based upon their budget. Brawn is supposed to be the example of this, but I say that while everyone at Brawn did an awesome job salvaging a team that lost it's sponsor, they were handled a winning solution prior to Honda pulling out. They just managed to not screw it up (when screwing it up would have been easy)

Bottom line... it is MUCH more than just "set the technical and sporting rule and have at it". And it is currently far from entertaining. F1 is the new Titanic. It has already hit the iceberg, but it is so large it just takes a long time to sink. It may also take a long time to patch the holes and pump the water out (if anyone cares to do the hard work it will require). Ross Brawn is on the deck shouting orders, but he really is not in charge, so nobody may listen.

I have been a fan for at least a few decades (I know... much less than a number here), but I find myself struggling to care anymore as other things capture my attention much more. Frankly I continue to follow F1 more out of habit than anything else. I didn't even watch the last two races and while I have them recorded probably will not watch them. Or if I do, it will be just to fast forward to the one or two minutes worth of "highlights". I think many of us are those on the back of the Titanic wondering when dinner is going to be served while the less devoted are already rowing away in lifeboats.

Richard