Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 13 Jan 2004, 19:19 (Ref:837009)   #1
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
'New' GTS Regulations

Reading the latest edition of Autosport I noticed that the FIA have confirmed there will be joint ACO/FIA GTS regulations in 2005.

Much more interestingly, IMO, is the news that within the latest ACO GTS regs there is a clause, that will also be adopted by the FIA, that allows manufactuers that do not have a suitable 'Supercar' GTS (Enzo, Zonda etc.), or a 'Regular' GTS (Viper, 575 etc.) will be able to race there mass production sportscars, i.e. BMW 6 series, Toyota Supra, Honda NSX, Nissan Skyline etc., with much more comphrehensive modifications, in the spirit of those allowed in JGTC, in order to make these less exotic sportscar competive with the 'GTS Supercars' and 'Regular GTS' cars.

Personally I believe this is great news and, for me, is as greatly anticipated as the 'Supercars'.

Ratel has also reafirmed his belief that GTS cars should compete for overall wins, if the number of LMP manufactuers remaims low, either in the form of a new 'GT1' (without the homologation pitfalls, maybe even as a sub-divisions of LMGTP, if the ACO have there way), or a general upgrading of the GTS spec.
Old 13 Jan 2004, 19:48 (Ref:837046)   #2
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
http://www.gazzetta.it/primi_piani/m...69601189.shtml

The new Masarati is not far off an LMGTP, lets face it!
Old 13 Jan 2004, 19:50 (Ref:837049)   #3
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by JAG
http://www.gazzetta.it/primi_piani/m...69601189.shtml

The new Masarati is not far off an LMGTP, lets face it!
You are right.
Don't know these expensive cars are the way to go.
Old 13 Jan 2004, 19:53 (Ref:837053)   #4
JAG
Veteran

England
I don't think the Masarati is much more expensive than the 575GTC.

The cost is not the main worry. If the teams can get 3 seasons racing out of them they will be cost effective. The problem with GT1 was that a TOTALLY new car was needed each season, such was the development.

Stricter homologation rules, and handicaps will stop this.
Plus those wishing to build extreme cars can build a trus LMGTP.
Old 13 Jan 2004, 19:55 (Ref:837056)   #5
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Personally I dont think the new Maserati is that much differnt to the Saleen S7R, and lets face it that car hasnt dominated, and is very popular in the sportscar racing world, and its expensive. The Maserati isnt a GT1 car, or a LMP GTP, just a evolution of the GTS cars, the same applies to the Ferrari 575 and Saleen S7R and Lambourgini Murcielago, and yes they are similar in looks to GT1 class cars, its called progress. Just look at how the FIA GT championship has changed since 1999 from Porsche GT2's, and Vipers and Lister's being dominant, to now Saleen's Ferrari 575's, Lambourgini Murcielago's, its bound to happen over time that Supercars will become better and faster.

The Maserati and all the other so called "supercars" are not Supercars, they are just the next generation of GTS class cars. Ratel knows what hes doing, the FIA and the ACO wont make the same mistakes that they did in the 90s with the GT1 class, this time its going to work.
Old 13 Jan 2004, 19:59 (Ref:837061)   #6
JAG
Veteran

England
Also, in the FIA GT1 days, GT1 was the only way to go for manufactuers, if they wanted to win at LM, and compete in a European based series as a works team.

Now we have the LMES for teams who want to run prototypes, in order to win overall at LM.
Old 13 Jan 2004, 20:17 (Ref:837082)   #7
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think the new Maserati is close to a GTP definition. It's not from a GT serie. That is the kind of car i like to see at LM.
Old 13 Jan 2004, 20:23 (Ref:837087)   #8
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Maybe, but Ratel and the FIA dont agree. The new breed of GT supercars are coming, and thats what the manufacturers want to race GT cars, not LMP 1 class cars or LMP GTP. GTS, and the Maserati is a GTS class car, I look forward to seeing it at the Spa 24hrs this year.
Old 13 Jan 2004, 20:29 (Ref:837094)   #9
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by SALEEN S7R
Personally I dont think the new Maserati is that much differnt to the Saleen S7R, and lets face it that car hasnt dominated, and is very popular in the sportscar racing world, and its expensive.
But I think Maserati (or Ferrari) is more able to make it a dominant car. Saleen has not the money to do that.
Old 13 Jan 2004, 20:40 (Ref:837103)   #10
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by FIRE
But I think Maserati (or Ferrari) is more able to make it a dominant car. Saleen has not the money to do that.
In FIA GT, cars will be pegged back before they become dominant, including the use of black boxes to monitor the cars. This suits the sprint nature of FIA GT's.

In ACO events they will be allowed to continue without restrictions.
Old 13 Jan 2004, 20:48 (Ref:837107)   #11
Zandbak
Racer

Netherlands
Zandbak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Let's hope that FIA and Ratel will do wht they say:

Quote:
FIA GT organiser Stephane Ratel,though,has no concerns that Maserati will be allowed to run away with his championship. He insists there will be no repetition of past mistakes. “I am certain – and if I have the support of [FIA] president Max Mosley on anything, it is on this point – that we will not allowa repeat ofthe 1997 scenario,”says the Frenchman. “It is our intention to balance the performance ofthe different types ofcar.” Autosport issue 08-01-04

Last edited by Zandbak; 13 Jan 2004 at 20:50.
Old 14 Jan 2004, 16:36 (Ref:838138)   #12
JAG
Veteran

England
I find it strange no one has commented on the fact GTS could admit JGTC 'type' cars to compete with the exotic/supercar GTS brigade.

How would you feel seeing a BMW 6 series competing with the Masarati?
Old 14 Jan 2004, 17:18 (Ref:838198)   #13
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"manufactuers that do not have a suitable 'Supercar' GTS (Enzo, Zonda etc.), or a 'Regular' GTS (Viper, 575 etc.) will be able to race there mass production sportscars, i.e. BMW 6 series, Toyota Supra, Honda NSX, Nissan Skyline etc., with much more comphrehensive modifications, in the spirit of those allowed in JGTC"

Exactly what i was thinking- this is going to do what to GT?
someone can put a GT3RSR on steroids and get it to Run in GTS? is cost going to skyrocket so people may race a toyota Spyder in that class? that's crazy talk. Their must be an eligiblility standard for cars in GTS. i.e. the Supercars and proper GTS no toyota supra it should run in GT if it is going to, and the Nissan 350Z, that as well in GT the Skyline perhaps GTS but it needn't be running with JGTC modifications, that thing is nearly bulletproof (the old inline 6 ran the 24Hr Nurburgring-the new V6 is monster), and a rocketship (I heard on Speed a Japanese driver said the "GT500 PLUS is always very competitive!") I thought the rules were gt300= 300 HP and GT500= 500 HP- apparently the regulations as translated from the japanese to various european languages do a poor job indicating that the class minimums is 500 as it is called 500+ by their very own!
so a GT500 Supra with a 5.2L V8 would run in GTS- i feel this will drive costs up like mad and the JGTC heabily modded versions may really do some damage do the proper cars, at least in the spirit of the Supercar class- if not entirely by performance.
Old 14 Jan 2004, 18:03 (Ref:838254)   #14
Cadete
Racer

Cadete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by JAG
I find it strange no one has commented on the fact GTS could admit JGTC 'type' cars to compete with the exotic/supercar GTS brigade.

How would you feel seeing a BMW 6 series competing with the Masarati?
I wouldn't feel well, and it would get worse if we started seeing, i don't know, Civics and Lagunas racing Ferraris and Porches and Listers... It simply wouldn't be GTs....
Old 14 Jan 2004, 19:36 (Ref:838330)   #15
JAG
Veteran

England
Manufactuers would not be able to race anything.

If they have a suitable GTS platform they will have to race that.

If not i.e. Toyota, they could race the Supra with extra modes.

JGTC cars would not be allowed, but mods in the mold of JGTC/DTM/WRC would be allowed. Obviously they would not be given an advantage over 'Regular' GTS cars.

Manufactuers have a choice, build a Super GT or modify a regular mass prodruced sportscar.

Last edited by JAG; 14 Jan 2004 at 19:39.
Old 14 Jan 2004, 19:55 (Ref:838349)   #16
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
I wouldn't feel well, and it would get worse if we started seeing, i don't know, Civics and Lagunas racing Ferraris and Porches and Listers... It simply wouldn't be GTs....
Isn't the Golf banned in British GT series next season? Who's in charge of that series....Ratel, so I think there's no chance we will see a Laguna or Civic in FIA GT or LMES.
Old 14 Jan 2004, 20:16 (Ref:838377)   #17
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
modify a regular mass prodruced sportscar.
um isn't this what GT is supposed to be?
then what would GT become- regular passenger cars and tourers?
Old 14 Jan 2004, 23:10 (Ref:838577)   #18
Cadete
Racer

Cadete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was exagerating when I mentioned Civics and Lagunas, obviously, but it's because I think like gttouring, GT racing is for GT cars, other cars have other series. I know racing has also a business side, but let's keep the spirit of the sport in mind.