Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 25 Mar 2016, 23:55 (Ref:3627349)   #1
Geraint Owen
Racer

Geraint Owen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Monza gearing question

I thought I would post a technical question........how much faster is Monza than Spa? My car pulls 140mph at Spa, something similar at Silverstone but I never got a dry lap last year, 128mph at Donington.....then what will it do at Monza?

Just wondering whether I need to be ordering back axle bits!

thanks

Geraint
Old 26 Mar 2016, 07:01 (Ref:3627397)   #2
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geraint Owen View Post
I thought I would post a technical question........how much faster is Monza than Spa? My car pulls 140mph at Spa, something similar at Silverstone but I never got a dry lap last year, 128mph at Donington.....then what will it do at Monza?
Geraint, not sure what the car is but 140 at Spa is pretty quick! Presume you're talking about the end of the Kemmel straight for that? I've never found it as quick as think it should be, due to fact it is uphill all the way.

For comparison, the fastest pre 66 car I've raced reached 125mph at the end of Kemmel, 130mph at Portimao and more at Monza, although haven't got the vbox video for that. I know it was pulling 7300rpm.......

Monza is flat and you enter the start straight from a fast curve. Your speed can also be 'wind assisted', depending on the weather on the day! Braking for the chicane works the anchors very hard.
Old 26 Mar 2016, 08:35 (Ref:3627415)   #3
Geraint Owen
Racer

Thanks Mike.

I should have said, it is a 1954 Kurtis Indy car with an Offy in it. I have raced a 1954 Kurtis Sports car with a hemi in it and that was about 6-8 mph faster at Spa despite worse aerodynamics and being heavier - plain grunt from the V8

The Indy car ran at Monza on the banked circuit in '58 where the average lap speeds were over 160mph!!!

Last edited by Geraint Owen; 26 Mar 2016 at 08:47.
Old 26 Mar 2016, 11:04 (Ref:3627453)   #4
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was this the one (Spa last year)? If so, it did seem rather quick Mike - at least for me to get 'sharp'!
Attached Thumbnails
Spa Six-Hours 2015_0826.jpg  
Old 26 Mar 2016, 13:24 (Ref:3627522)   #5
Geraint Owen
Racer

That's the one Gary. I like the pic!
Old 26 Mar 2016, 14:25 (Ref:3627528)   #6
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Geraint, Donnington and Spa should be the same. Silverstone GP and Monza the same.If I am gearing for a single seater then I would go up a cog from Silverstone for Monza.. I guess you will have to start thinking about braking around 300 board. I ve seen you and car at race meetings. Fantastic and I shall look forward to seeing you at Monza.
Old 27 Mar 2016, 08:26 (Ref:3627740)   #7
Geraint Owen
Racer

Thanks Delta

I have to say that I got very different results last year. I saw 124mph at Donington (although that was with a silencer that cost about 50bhp), compared with 140 at Spa. I anticipate seeing about 125-139 at Silverstone on the national circuit

Silverstone GP I dont yet know, as it was SO wet in qualifying last year and the car only lasted a lap and a bit for the race. I was thinking about 145 mph. It is currently geared to 155mph, but it is pretty easy to change. I think I will guess at 165 for Monza and see what happens

Bloomin fast in an old crate whatever it turns out to be
Old 27 Mar 2016, 14:02 (Ref:3627788)   #8
MartinH
Racer

Luxembourg
Luxembourg
MartinH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geraint Owen View Post
Thanks Delta

I have to say that I got very different results last year. I saw 124mph at Donington (although that was with a silencer that cost about 50bhp), compared with 140 at Spa. I anticipate seeing about 125-139 at Silverstone on the national circuit

Silverstone GP I dont yet know, as it was SO wet in qualifying last year and the car only lasted a lap and a bit for the race. I was thinking about 145 mph. It is currently geared to 155mph, but it is pretty easy to change. I think I will guess at 165 for Monza and see what happens

Bloomin fast in an old crate whatever it turns out to be

Blimey, those are pretty monster speeds !!

Don't want to spoil the party, but have you checked with the tyre supplier what's the max speed capacity of the size you run ?
I would at least check with them what pressures they advise for the wheel load you have on the car

Great looking car, by the way !!

Yours, Martin : former tyre test driver for Goodyear - so I worry about these things, having seen how they're made & had a few surprise 'pops' in the last 25 years !