Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 5 Aug 2008, 17:41 (Ref:2263953)   #1
youngoldy
Racer

United Kingdom
Somewhereorotherville
youngoldy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Hewland MK9 Gearbox Problems

Today, I disassembled our 4 speed MK9 Hewland gearbox from our Formula Ford.

I unbolted the small nuts that hold the endplate on, managed to lock it in reverse gear and another forward gear. I was able to losen the LH and RH nuts on the end of both shafts. I was able to remove the bearing carrier with the gears, dog rings etc still in place.

I then removed the three gears from the lay shaft and hubs that needed changing for a different circuit we are at this weekend.

When I came to re-installing the bearing carrier with all the gears and dog rings etc installed, I was able to line up the gearbox internals and push the bearing carrier up to the face of the main housing. I was unable however to lock the gearbox in reverse gear an a forward motion gear to tighten up the two nuts on the end of either of the two shafts.

I then removed the bearing carrier and disassembled the gearbox internals again, and found that the reverse selector fork can rotate 360 degrees, along with the reverse selector rod.

Do I need to tighten anything up, such as the 'plunger locking', or reverse selector fork pinch bolt?

Many thanks in advance.