Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 17 Dec 2013, 15:20 (Ref:3345052)   #26
EricS
Racer

United States
Austin, TX
EricS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
His wife, Kelly, posted to the MWM FB page:
Quote:
My husband has officially announced that he is hanging up his helmet and will no longer race at the level he is at now. He feels it is time to move on, he has achieved what he wanted to do and now believes it is time to concentrate on the next stage of his career and life.

When he first told me I did heave a sigh of relief and at that moment realised that sometimes it was a bit hard for me to see him doing what he does best. On the other side when I watched him race it has been pretty special to sit with a quiet pride knowing that he was one of the best, cleverest racing drivers in the world.

I have been along with him for the ride for the past 15 or so years, I have gained a few wrinkles after a few hairy moments but we have met lots of fab people, seen lots of things and learnt loads along the way. Always grateful that this path brought us to Monaco where I have to say I love living and appreciate the nice life we have here.

Allan will still be super busy – he will be commentating, guiding young drivers and instructing me how to load the dishwasher. I think his work schedule for next year is similar to this year so, my friends, you will still all be my company when he is away.

I couldn’t be prouder of him but I do wonder what he will want to do for adrenalin kicks now…..

My Scotsman has been released.
Old 17 Dec 2013, 17:31 (Ref:3345077)   #27
Tim Adams
Rookie

Tim Adams should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From 2011 Petit.
Old 17 Dec 2013, 17:39 (Ref:3345088)   #28
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Allan,

Don't know if you read this forum, but if you do just wanted to say thank you for all the great entertainment you've provided to us race fans over these many years.

DK
Old 17 Dec 2013, 17:42 (Ref:3345094)   #29
kober
Racer

kober should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A couple of years too early One could expect that TK will retire first, and only then it will be McNish's turn.
Old 17 Dec 2013, 18:24 (Ref:3345100)   #30
BanjoMaster
Rookie

BanjoMaster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
By God, he'll be missed. He really has gone out at the top - I remember reading more than a few comments back at the turn of the year surmising that he was passed his best and that the Audi young guns were going to march off into the distance. he couldn't have proved them more wrong.

This wee country has produced more than it's fair share of the greats for whatever reason. I'd hope that in years to come Allan will be mentioned in the same breath as other Scottish drivers who've been loved and revered all across the globe, (mainly because they only had one speed - if in doubt, flat out!) like Clark, Stewart, Franchitti and McRae. I'm also extremely grateful that F1 never clocked on to what they had, and we got him back where he belonged.

His first lap charges were a delight to every sportscar fan regardless of their personal allegiances, and I'll really miss hearing Hindy's instruction to 'release the Scotsman'
Old 17 Dec 2013, 18:34 (Ref:3345106)   #31
Mechanic Z
Veteran

United States
Mos Eisley
Mechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Wow, did not see this coming at all.

2013 has been the end of an era in so many ways, this is yet another...

McNish has always been among my favorite drivers. He was/is easily one of the very best in the world, not only in racing itself but also in showing great sportsmanship in every interview I've ever seen.

Allan, if you happen to be reading this forum, shame to see you hang up the helmet, but good luck with whatever you do next.

Last edited by Mechanic Z; 17 Dec 2013 at 18:48.
Old 17 Dec 2013, 18:38 (Ref:3345108)   #32
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Very successful career.

I think it's a good decision. Last couple of years I got the impression he was not the Mcnish of his best years. Better stop on a high than forced to stop.

I hope he will return by driving Audi R8 GT3 for WRT or other customers.
Old 17 Dec 2013, 18:46 (Ref:3345112)   #33
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
I hope he will return by driving Audi R8 GT3 for WRT or other customers.
I don't think he will, I remember that he once said he's not interested in driving GT cars (that was back when the R8 LMS was debuting and many Audi drivers were involved..he never was).

I think the only thing left on his bucket list is Daytona, it's the only thing he specifically mentioned as well.
Old 17 Dec 2013, 19:25 (Ref:3345123)   #34
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Nothing much to add to all that's been said. Didn't see this coming, but it no doubt makes sense for him. A great racing career - I remember his intense rivalry with Brabs in the F3 days very well. Great that he retires as a world champion. But I'll certainly miss him at Le Mans.....
Old 17 Dec 2013, 19:28 (Ref:3345125)   #35
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Nothing much to add to all that's been said. Didn't see this coming, but it no doubt makes sense for him. A great racing career - I remember his intense rivalry with Brabs in the F3 days very well. Great that he retires as a world champion. But I'll certainly miss him at Le Mans.....
We won't see him on the track, but I'm sure that if we hang around for long enough in the paddock during the week we'll get to see him still there.
Old 17 Dec 2013, 19:39 (Ref:3345129)   #36
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
The footage that got me (back) into sportscars was McNish vs. Montangy at Sebring 2009. His aggressive driving was simply phenomenal to watch, and it worked most of the time. I have wondered if the change to closed tops wasn't to his liking but regardless, it will be nice to remember him performing at a consistently high level rather than spend a couple of years being shown up by the young guns.

Not going to be the same without him, but he already seems ready-made for the commentary box. I wonder if he fancies keeping Truswell company next June
Old 17 Dec 2013, 20:20 (Ref:3345144)   #37
Number7
Racer

Denmark
Copenhagen
Number7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Jay View Post
The footage that got me (back) into sportscars was McNish vs. Montangy at Sebring 2009. His aggressive driving was simply phenomenal to watch, and it worked most of the time. I have wondered if the change to closed tops wasn't to his liking but regardless, it will be nice to remember him performing at a consistently high level rather than spend a couple of years being shown up by the young guns.

Not going to be the same without him, but he already seems ready-made for the commentary box. I wonder if he fancies keeping Truswell company next June
That race was magnificent, one of the best. Such a disappointment to see the R15 limping around at Le Mans.
Old 17 Dec 2013, 20:37 (Ref:3345152)   #38
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Not much left for him to do. Hes done most if not all he wanted. Time to hang it up and take another role in motorsport. Thanks McNish, and you did drive for Toyota for a stint
Old 17 Dec 2013, 20:39 (Ref:3345154)   #39
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
McNish will go down as one of the sportscar legends, along with his co-driver Tom Kristensen. There's no doubting that.
Old 17 Dec 2013, 21:10 (Ref:3345160)   #40
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I wouldn't at all be surprised to see Allan up in the commentary box in the near future.
Old 17 Dec 2013, 21:37 (Ref:3345170)   #41
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCosworthPanoz View Post
I wouldn't at all be surprised to see Allan up in the commentary box in the near future.
If he's in the Le Mans paddock next year, I would imagine RLM would grab him for at least a few hours of commentary during the race...
Old 17 Dec 2013, 23:24 (Ref:3345211)   #42
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!
A few photos of one of the greatest...

Dindo Capello and Allan McNish

Old 18 Dec 2013, 00:09 (Ref:3345230)   #43
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ah, I guess his guest editor role and all the articles in Motorsport this month makes sense now.

Well I am surprised he has quit now and not carried on for a few years, but I think he can retire in peace. In the early years there were several times where his career could have been completely finished but he hung in there and even made it to F1 after all, which to me is a grand accomplishment for anyone.
Old 18 Dec 2013, 00:36 (Ref:3345237)   #44
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!
I like this as a metaphor for a career. Closing one eye on the past with one eye on the future...

Old 18 Dec 2013, 02:30 (Ref:3345264)   #45
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There is so much that can be said about Allan, and to his immense credit it is basically all good. I credit him with being one of the aspects which originally attracted me to sportscar racing in the late 90s. A lot of good drivers, even great ones, have come through the prototype sportscar ranks. Only a few are a breed apart, that sort of singular talent and character that is a joy to watch. They are unmistakeable for the passion, commitment and verve visible in the body English of the car, in the helmet, in the hands, whether on TV or trackside. James Weaver was one of those, Allan another. Like James, Allan steps out of the car with his head held high, and he truly is going out on top.

One of the things that truly sets Allan apart, to me, has been his resiliency; the way he trusted so deeply in his many abilities to get him where he wanted to go. To step out of sportscars and into a factory F1 race seat in this day and age, on driving merit alone, without money, in his 30s is remarkable. If that's not the mark of a man as a racing driver, I don't know what is. To paraphrase Hamlet, we shall not look upon his like again, or at least not for a long time yet.
Old 18 Dec 2013, 02:50 (Ref:3345267)   #46
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Lanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I met Allan at Road Atlanta in 2000 and have seen him on and at the track many times since, the last time for me being at the St. Pete Pirelli World Challenge race in victory lane, where he was just a fan supporting his friend Ryan Dalziel. He's always been a favorite of mine and an absolute class act and a true ambassador for sportscar racing.
I'll miss seeing him on track in the R18 but look forward to seeing him at the track in other capacities, and I like that he's kept the option open of running one off races in the future.
Old 18 Dec 2013, 03:30 (Ref:3345276)   #47
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
One of my favorite photos was of Allan. Hope we get to hear from him from time to time over here.

Old 18 Dec 2013, 03:35 (Ref:3345277)   #48
PointDSM
Racer

United States
Wisconsin
PointDSM is a back marker
Woah! Do you do prints at all? I'd be willing to buy a print of that one (or the file).
Old 18 Dec 2013, 03:46 (Ref:3345280)   #49
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Maple (yes really), Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And a big round of applause from this bit of Canada

Never saw him race "in the flesh".

Much applause from over here. Retirement came as a surprise... I would love to see him in a commentating role. His high-energy narration of the lap of Le Mans in "Truth in 24" is one of my favourite pieces of motorsport commentary, ever.
Old 18 Dec 2013, 05:06 (Ref:3345294)   #50
1969MGCGTdriver
Racer

United States
Orlando, FL, USA
1969MGCGTdriver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

image by M1NDCRlME, on Flickr

The 3 Scots chatting on the grid before the start of Sebring this year. I wanted to get a better picture but I didn't want to interrupt their conversation.

Last edited by 1969MGCGTdriver; 18 Dec 2013 at 05:18. Reason: Bad link