Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 22 Jan 2014, 02:46 (Ref:3356921)   #26
FLGTFAN
Racer

United States
Naples, Florida
FLGTFAN has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyson Mazda View Post
Road Atlanta (Georgia), Sebring (Florida), and Daytona (Florida) are probably all in the Top 10 of highest attended sports car races in the World.
And are all part of the NASCAR empire now.
Old 22 Jan 2014, 04:25 (Ref:3356940)   #27
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And all will be hosting their traditional endurance races .... TUSC Ho!
Old 22 Jan 2014, 07:20 (Ref:3356954)   #28
schmidder
Racer

United States
Folsom, CA
schmidder should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagunaseca_4life View Post
Damn right! That would be amazing.

It's what laguna seca needs after losing champ car, motogp, and now alms/grand am. With the Rolex historics being its only major event now and the tusk draw yet to be known. I really worry for lagunas future as it is not a privatly owned track but a part of the monterey county park system.

Unless Mazda pays more or both Rolex and tusk have big draws at higher prices, laguna seca will need atleast another big attendance event like wec or Indy car....

Wec at laguna would be really nice, or even at road America.has there been any updates to the wec/cota delema?
Development is encroaching....hate to even think it, but just like Riverside, at some point, real estate value (ocean proximity, views, etc in the case of Fort Ord) could spell disaster for old precious gem...
Old 22 Jan 2014, 07:42 (Ref:3356959)   #29
Bandicoot17
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham
Bandicoot17 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Road Atlanta (Georgia), Sebring (Florida), and Daytona (Florida) are probably all in the Top 10 of highest attended sports car races in the World.
Maybe 'south' was the wrong term. Looking at a map it would appear so anyway. I think those of us in the UK have a different idea of what's sought US lol.
From what I've heard from chatting to some of my mates in America, it's things like Nascar and 'football' that are big in the Texas area and surrounding states. It was reported that a large number (something like 40%-50% IIRC) fans at the F1 were from Mexico.
All things combined it seems to me that there might not be a large enough 'local' fanbase and with the other sports they watch maybe the casual fan isn't as likely to go and watch on a 'whim'.
Old 22 Jan 2014, 07:43 (Ref:3356960)   #30
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Surely they are all top 5 ... Le Mans is obviously top and the only other sportscar race that comes close would be Nurburgring.
Old 22 Jan 2014, 07:44 (Ref:3356961)   #31
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
I like Laguna Seca, but dont see the wec going there for a few reasons. If I were to pick a track they would go, it'd be Road America.
Old 22 Jan 2014, 08:11 (Ref:3356966)   #32
JoestForEver
Veteran

United Kingdom
New York
JoestForEver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agreed. Panoz would like it
Old 22 Jan 2014, 15:05 (Ref:3357090)   #33
otisdog
Rookie

United States
Camano island, Washington
otisdog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidder View Post
Development is encroaching....hate to even think it, but just like Riverside, at some point, real estate value (ocean proximity, views, etc in the case of Fort Ord) could spell disaster for old precious gem...
The saving grace about Laguna Seca is that it is a county park. There is little chance that they level a park for more homes. The noise issue is another thing...
Old 22 Jan 2014, 17:21 (Ref:3357127)   #34
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It doesn't matter what track they go to, they have to pair with TUSC. Otherwise no one will show up. The WEC will be back, they just have to get over who is or isn't the support event and focus on building that brand in the US. Currently, we do not see the races on TV and that is where it has to start.
Old 22 Jan 2014, 19:13 (Ref:3357168)   #35
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeast View Post
Sebring is a great experience even if it's just a NASCAR race now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLGTFAN View Post
And are all part of the NASCAR empire now.

--

Anyway, CoTA is the 'best' track in North America. The circuit itself is extremely wide, which is optimal for multiclass racing, has excellent, spotless, ultramodern paddock facilities, and countless luxury accommodations readily available within a 20 minute drive from Downtown Austin. Finally, the amount of major metropolitan areas close by, and therefore a large potential spectator pool, is truly staggering:

- Austin–Round Rock–San Marcos (approx. pop: 1,700,000)
- San Antonio–New Braunfels (approx. pop: 2,100,000)
- Houston–Sugar Land–Baytown (approx. pop: 6,000,000)
- Dallas–Fort Worth–Arlington (approx. pop: 6,500,000)

That's over 16 million people on tap for the race. Getting them to come is a different story.
Old 22 Jan 2014, 20:51 (Ref:3357187)   #36
TimRTC
Racer

TimRTC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I do hope this double-header goes ahead, I might well be able to go. Got a few days off to take and no-one else has September booked.

Plus since the race is supposed to be on a Saturday, hop in the car straight after the event and drive through to Dallas for the last day of the NHRA Texas Fall Nationals.
Old 22 Jan 2014, 21:12 (Ref:3357193)   #37
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
It doesn't matter what track they go to, they have to pair with TUSC. Otherwise no one will show up. The WEC will be back, they just have to get over who is or isn't the support event and focus on building that brand in the US. Currently, we do not see the races on TV and that is where it has to start.
They need to advertise. Posters and commercials and billboards etc. Porsche vs. Audi vs. Toyota will sell, but people need to know where and when.
Old 22 Jan 2014, 23:05 (Ref:3357226)   #38
ACFlinn
Racer

ACFlinn is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidder View Post
I'm not so sure about that. Portland International Raceway, which is owned by the city and continues to face most of those same issues, lost most of it's big pro events (CART, pro sports cars, Trans-Am, etc.) yet still manages to pay the bills, and fund essential repairs and upgrades with money derived primarily from amateur car clubs and other automotive events.

I'm not saying I want that to happen to Laguna Seca (the current situation at PIR is a bit of a shame). But it wouldn't necessarily signal the end for the raceway.

Laguna Seca is much better off (look at privately owned Riverside) as a public property.

Andy Flinn

Last edited by ACFlinn; 22 Jan 2014 at 23:12.
Old 23 Jan 2014, 07:51 (Ref:3357291)   #39
JacobP
Racer

JacobP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why can't TUSCC organize a joint event with WEC? I am not talking about double race weekend. Let them have one six hour race together. To control the number of cars on the TUSCC side only GTLM and P2/DP cars will take part in WEC race (and the GTD/PC can have a shorter "support" race). I think this could get the fans interested. This is what they should have done in Austin last year.
Old 23 Jan 2014, 09:14 (Ref:3357316)   #40
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobP View Post
Why can't TUSCC organize a joint event with WEC? I am not talking about double race weekend. Let them have one six hour race together. To control the number of cars on the TUSCC side only GTLM and P2/DP cars will take part in WEC race (and the GTD/PC can have a shorter "support" race). I think this could get the fans interested. This is what they should have done in Austin last year.
Too many cars.....

but they could do a joint weekend with P2/DP /GTLM and WEC P1/2 & GTLM in one race then a seperate GTAM GTD PC race ...... now that would be fun!
Old 23 Jan 2014, 11:17 (Ref:3357364)   #41
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I ‘d imagine WEC teams don’t want to be beat to the podium (or be beaten off the track and into the tires) by cars from another series who are scoring points in another series, but could still steal the glory and/or end a WEC team’s day.

I’d also think TUSC wouldn’t like seeing its P2s and DPs get spanked by the WEC P2s on better rubber and with all the latest updates.

Plus the scoring would be a nightmare, and the podium ceremony would be about as long as the race itself. (Sebring tried that in 2012 (I think.)

With TUSC’s acceptance of split-grid races, there aren’t any real problems on that score—as you say, all P-cars and GTLM could run the A-Main, and the rest could run the support race the day before. WEC might finally get to see some U.S. fans—unfortunately, those U.S. fans would get to see the WEC cars sweep the podium in the P-classes, likely.

GTLM would be … the way it should be—the best teams and cars in the world head-to-head.
Old 23 Jan 2014, 12:05 (Ref:3357380)   #42
Brake dust
Racer

United States
Brake dust should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
While COTA is wide, it's not critical for multi class racing. The ILMC raced at Imola and there were no full course cautions. Speaking of full course cautions, its my big concern with Laguna. Seems like with the ALMS, there was a full course caution every 10 laps! Hopefully with the FIA, we wouldn't see that if WEC ran there.

Still like Mid Ohio. The fan base is there. WEC could run with the Pirelli World Challenge or for that matter with Indy car.
Old 23 Jan 2014, 20:50 (Ref:3357594)   #43
TF110
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
I ‘d imagine WEC teams don’t want to be beat to the podium (or be beaten off the track and into the tires) by cars from another series who are scoring points in another series, but could still steal the glory and/or end a WEC team’s day.

I’d also think TUSC wouldn’t like seeing its P2s and DPs get spanked by the WEC P2s on better rubber and with all the latest updates.

Plus the scoring would be a nightmare, and the podium ceremony would be about as long as the race itself. (Sebring tried that in 2012 (I think.)

With TUSC’s acceptance of split-grid races, there aren’t any real problems on that score—as you say, all P-cars and GTLM could run the A-Main, and the rest could run the support race the day before. WEC might finally get to see some U.S. fans—unfortunately, those U.S. fans would get to see the WEC cars sweep the podium in the P-classes, likely.

GTLM would be … the way it should be—the best teams and cars in the world head-to-head.
With one series using totally different pit stop rules. Changing tires and refueling at once would see the tusc cars with an obvious advantage of time spent off track.
Old 24 Jan 2014, 04:07 (Ref:3357787)   #44
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Woodbury View Post
If the WEC Austin race is in doubt, why not Laguna Seca?
-$$$$$

-Run-offs aren't the size of TESCO parking lots

-$$$$$$$$

-$$$$$$$$

Did I mention money?
Old 24 Jan 2014, 04:09 (Ref:3357789)   #45
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobP View Post
As stated, too many cars and they get treated as a secondary class (P1s racing overall) despite a significantly larger number of people attending their race as well as watching it on television in the states.
Old 24 Jan 2014, 18:53 (Ref:3358180)   #46
nkoske
Racer

United States
Bay Area, CA
nkoske should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The CotA issue last year was simple. If you lived in the area and only had one day to go which day would you chose? Saturday where you see all the cars that came to the track, a qualifying, and a bunch of races or Sunday where all there was all day was a single race. On top of that ALMS promotes in the US the WEC doesn't. What did they expect?
Old 31 Jan 2014, 21:31 (Ref:3362706)   #47
TimRTC
Racer

TimRTC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.fiawec.com/en/news/final-...dar-_1655.html

Austin Saturday race confirmed. Best get my flights planned...
Old 1 Feb 2014, 06:15 (Ref:3362825)   #48
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimRTC View Post
http://www.fiawec.com/en/news/final-...dar-_1655.html

Austin Saturday race confirmed. Best get my flights planned...
Great news for southerners in the U.S. Well, the few thousand of them that will attend, anyway.
Old 1 Feb 2014, 06:29 (Ref:3362826)   #49
Breitling24
Veteran

Breitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBreitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
Great news for southerners in the U.S. Well, the few thousand of them that will attend, anyway.
...and those "southern" Californians that will be planning on going back.

"Travel makes a wise man better, and a fool worse." Thomas Fuller
Old 1 Feb 2014, 07:11 (Ref:3362831)   #50
Holt
Veteran

United States
Holt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHolt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll start investigating whether or not I can make the trip