Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 6 Mar 2016, 21:00 (Ref:3620659)   #1
markymar93
Rookie

markymar93 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would 1967 Rover be eligible for the HRDC and Alternatives?

Hi. Would a rover p5 be eligible for the hrdc and hscc? Most seem to state pre 66 and this is based on exactly the same apart from year?. Thanks
Old 7 Mar 2016, 06:25 (Ref:3620772)   #2
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by markymar93 View Post
Hi. Would a rover p5 be eligible for the hrdc and hscc? Most seem to state pre 66 and this is based on exactly the same apart from year?. Thanks
The P5 goes back to late 50s, but presume you mean 3.5 litre P5'B', which was introduced in 1967?

IMHO the answer is No..... And why would you want to?
Old 7 Mar 2016, 11:21 (Ref:3620857)   #3
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Which model is it?
HSCC/HRSR Historic Touring Cars is for 'saloon' cars in series production prior to 01.01.66. A 1967 or later build car of the model that was in production prior to the cut-off date ( a Ford Anglia 105E or Hillman Imp, for instance) would still be eligible.
Old 7 Mar 2016, 14:37 (Ref:3620901)   #4
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame

Why not?
Old 7 Mar 2016, 14:58 (Ref:3620908)   #5
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Bob, that's a P4 (Rover 60s -110s), whilst this is about the P5 which was the big wallowing 3 &3.5 litre poor man's Roller. Remembering my rides in one, I can't imagine that it would be much fun on a race track.

Old 7 Mar 2016, 16:14 (Ref:3620920)   #6
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
My knowledge of Rovers is a little sketchy I must admit.
Old 7 Mar 2016, 16:50 (Ref:3620930)   #7
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
My knowledge of Rovers is a little sketchy I must admit.
Yes!

The fact that the OP mentions 1967 would suggest he is talking about the V8 model, but (despite reservations about its potential performance) I would think that as there are none racing, it isn't eligible- especially in a Pre '66 category....
Old 7 Mar 2016, 17:43 (Ref:3620950)   #8
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Yes!

The fact that the OP mentions 1967 would suggest he is talking about the V8 model, but (despite reservations about its potential performance) I would think that as there are none racing, it isn't eligible- especially in a Pre '66 category....
However, Mike, Peter's comments above about it being a car that was in production prior to 1966 seems to make some sense. After all, who knows how long it was sitting in a car park/field before it was actually sold. As a rider to that, I would have thought that it would be acceptable providing that it wasn't the P5B which was brought out in '67. (Acknowledgement to my really good friend, Willy Wiki)
Old 7 Mar 2016, 17:54 (Ref:3620953)   #9
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Blimey you wait years to hear about the P5 Rover then two threads about them at once.
Old 7 Mar 2016, 17:58 (Ref:3620955)   #10
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
If it's on wiki- it must be true!

Yes, the straight 6 P5 was in production pre 1966, but I'm still betting that the OP was referring to the V8 which wasn't. Maybe he will re-visit at some point and clarify....

Max- total coincidence. Spooky!
Old 7 Mar 2016, 20:41 (Ref:3621000)   #11
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
When I was near to finishing my first race car I was in need of a tow vehicle. Saturday afternoons I worked in a petrol station and there was also a car sales forecourt. The owner of the garage liked the fact I was going racing so he let me have a 3 litre Rover for £60.00. What a great car that was . Happy days. I also have some fond memories kissing and cuddling with a girlfriend on the back seat. More happy days.
Old 7 Mar 2016, 20:51 (Ref:3621005)   #12
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Sorry Mark none of the above helping you.
Old 7 Mar 2016, 21:22 (Ref:3621022)   #13
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A quick check finds the P5 with the 3Ltr straight 6 was Homologated in 1961, but not Homologated with the V8 3.5 until 1968 .
Old 7 Mar 2016, 21:23 (Ref:3621023)   #14
markymar93
Rookie

I thought the v8 version would be out but was looking at the straight 6. I knew it would be an uncoventional race car but thought it might be interesting to see outcome.
Alternatively i am looking at a 65 amazon. I know volvos quite well and tuning parts are fairly easy. I may be posting a question about this separately
Old 7 Mar 2016, 22:29 (Ref:3621042)   #15
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As the 3 litre straight six Rover P5 was manufactured from the late 1950s until 1967 it would certainly be welcome in the HSCC/HRSR Historic Touring Car series. The Volvo Amazon is also eligible.
Old 8 Mar 2016, 06:32 (Ref:3621122)   #16
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by markymar93 View Post
Alternatively i am looking at a 65 amazon. I know volvos quite well and tuning parts are fairly easy. I may be posting a question about this separately
There are examples of Pre 66 FIA spec Volvo 'Amazons' racing around the world. It isn't common in the UK, but I've seen them at Goodwood and in HRDC events. Talk to Shaun Rainford at CCK- they've built at least one.
Old 8 Mar 2016, 07:20 (Ref:3621136)   #17
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Very popular as a rally car as well. Strong old tank with a surprising turn of speed.
Old 8 Mar 2016, 09:20 (Ref:3621150)   #18
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Very popular as a rally car as well. Strong old tank with a surprising turn of speed.
Jo Bonnier drove a Volvo in saloon car events back in the 1950's so there is some history of the marque in racing going back a long way.
Old 8 Mar 2016, 10:02 (Ref:3621157)   #19
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
The Volvo makes a lot of sense, 2150cc mid 70's engine makes very good power in any number of pre '66 cars

Oops, did I say that out loud
Old 8 Mar 2016, 21:11 (Ref:3621330)   #20
markymar93
Rookie

I have to say the amazon is a favourite for me. I have my eye on a 1965 one. I have a p1800 with tuned engine. The amazon im looking at has a period tuned engine from a recognised garage of the sixties.
Old 8 Mar 2016, 21:14 (Ref:3621331)   #21
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
So does all this mean the A40 is not happening?
Old 8 Mar 2016, 22:14 (Ref:3621350)   #22
markymar93
Rookie

Sadly not. We found the a40 had some serious issues and was therefore sold on. I bought another a40 but it is 100% original and mynwife claimed it. Therefore im looking for something else lol.
Old 9 Mar 2016, 10:38 (Ref:3621494)   #23
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
You'd have tio ruin an original car to make it anywhere near competitive. Well done Mrs Markymar93 !

I've been doing some engine work for a friend with a '67 2 door Amazon, a really nice original car in the works rally red. its just a road car, but with the later engine fitted and sensibly tuned it should make for some Good Euro holiday tours for its owner.
Old 9 Mar 2016, 21:02 (Ref:3621675)   #24
markymar93
Rookie

I might be talking to you about some work on the amazon at some point. You may also see a little blue a40 driving around worthing and shoreham.
Old 10 Mar 2016, 08:14 (Ref:3621788)   #25
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
The engine is basically a big meaty Ford 1500 precrossflow, I've been led to believe the Ford engine was used as inspiration for Volvo engineers, there are some striking similarities. The Vovlo head is a better design flow wise so I can easily see why they make good power.