Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 19 Nov 2018, 21:07 (Ref:3864323)   #526
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Who is Sprnkles?
EffectiveSprinkles, to use their full forum name.
Old 19 Nov 2018, 21:12 (Ref:3864326)   #527
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
If I'd been there in orange overalls I'd have reported the facts. If asked for an opinion I'd have said it was 50/50, a racing incident.

It seems a lot of people agree with that, but hey ho. Both to blame or neither, they both lost out. That's the fact.
Charlie and Co did not seem to see it as a 50/50.

I hope you saw the in car footage before it was taken down, and Ocon's reaction, "You saw what happened."

Allowing Max to get away with his "robust" behavior just means that it is impossible for anyone to race him, because he will simply take them out!
How many contacts has he been responsible for, this year, during his F1 career, in the lower categories (Bella?)?

There is also a stewarding trend that if someone does something boneheaded and someone else manages not to hit them, but spins in avoiding them, no penalty is issued to the offender, because nobody likes to see penalties imposed! This is just plain wrong and encourages bad behavior! In order to really dice someone you have to be able to trust that person, you will place each other at risk, and one person cannot be allowed to simply knock the other off, it is behavior Max has been getting away with!

Lewis had the incident taped, "You had more to lose!"
Old 19 Nov 2018, 21:30 (Ref:3864330)   #528
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
And here I thought PM was referring to Danica...but that would be Sparkles, wouldn't it?

jimclark
Old 19 Nov 2018, 21:32 (Ref:3864331)   #529
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I did see the in car footage. I wouldn't have seen it on the day though

Personally I think Ocon's penalty was unfair, I felt it was 50/50 and I still think that.

Other opinions are available (obviously).
Old 19 Nov 2018, 22:30 (Ref:3864356)   #530
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
it appears both Sprinkles and another forum member were Effective in being a Guy not contributing to the F1 forum anymore...

oh, and Verstappen could have avoided contact.
Old 19 Nov 2018, 22:37 (Ref:3864357)   #531
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
People say ocon could’ve waited until the back straight, which is fair enough. But he did already try in a straight. Remember that the reason he was on the outside of T1 in the first place was because Max defended. So would Max have just defended again?
Old 19 Nov 2018, 23:07 (Ref:3864362)   #532
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
We'll never know.

And thank goodness for that!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
People say ocon could’ve waited until the back straight, which is fair enough. But he did already try in a straight. Remember that the reason he was on the outside of T1 in the first place was because Max defended. So would Max have just defended again?
Old 19 Nov 2018, 23:30 (Ref:3864367)   #533
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
I'm a few laps down here, but I'm coming through with my opinion anyway!

Man, what has this forum become? The last few pages have been more like I remember, but before that, it has been painful seeing the discourse dragged down so low again.

I readily admit I'm a verstappen fan. And that may cloud my thoughts some, so I am attempting to be aware of that. But I think the penalty was justified for Ocon. It looks to me like as the leader of the race, a rare occurrence happened, having a car trying to pass to get a lap back. That is already out of the ordinary. Then, through turn 1, the leader successfully defended his position. Going through turn 2, it may have been a case of assuming a lapped car was going to back out of it after failing to get it done through the first corner. Hence, the turn in without regard to Ocon being there. Can anyone honestly say they would expect a lapped car to put up a multiple corner fight with the leader? I get one try at it, as rare as that is, but going again through turn 2?

Verstappen definitely could have paid more attention to the lapped car, or been more careful. But, hamilton was barely 2 seconds behind him. If he got a backmarker stuck in front of him, it would allow Hamilton to close in and get drs down the straight the next lap or two. I haven't read too many here considering how much Ocon being ahead for a few laps would affect verstappen's race. I'm sure that goes into the decision to defend.

While hamilton looks good with his post race comments, let's stop pretending things they say to each other and to the public post race are authentic. He had a chance to needle one of the guys that will be his biggest rivals in the near future. If he can further get under his skin there, he surely would try to. I know if I just had a wreckless move by someone way down the fioed ruin a win for me, having the guy who won, who just wrapped up a championship telling me anything right there other than "that sucks" or something would further infuriate me. Hamilton's comments weren't some altruistic advice to verstappen, imo, and more of a head game play. Plus, if he gets verstappen considering toning down his aggression, it makes things easier for Hamilton.

By the way, I said around Mexico, when I vented my annoyances about Hamilton that he lives a charmed life... This is what I mean. He is gifted so many results it's ridiculous. Whether it he Ferrari quality control issues, Vettel brain fade or ocon silliness, there he is, getting another gift. And I fully admit he's the best on the grid right now.

I agree with many here that it was ocon's fault, but verstappen is not blameless. Seems a reasonable way to view it, which I guess is why it was met with such argumentative replies by the extreme, point scoring, debate club wannabe posters pretending to have a discussion, while actually trying to have a contentious debate.

Lastly, I feel bad for verstappen. Being so much under his dads thumb, he had no chance of being normal. He was bound to get some of that boorish behavior. He needs some quality role models to sit him down and straighten out his antics off track. Unfortunately, Horner went the other way and condoned it at a time when he needed to be a positive influence on a young man who needs one. We have seen them provide a glimpse of this, around Monaco time, when they actually got a little frustrated with his crashing, and we saw a positive result. Too bad they didnt do it again here.

And about the "assault" or "violence": it has no place, except we have seen champions do just that with senna and schumacher and more. I don't like it, and I hope it is a flaw verstappen corrects, but again, look at his biggest role model and influence. I don't, however, think it will preclude him from winning a championship.
Old 20 Nov 2018, 10:18 (Ref:3864442)   #534
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
OK, OK. I've already said on here that I was on holiday, so didn't see the race and since returning home, decided to delete my recording of it as I just wasn't going to have time to watch it. Based on what has been said on here I've formed the opinion that it was a 50/50 thing, maybe Ocon shouldn't have been trying to overtake so forcibly (but he's a racing driver, getting past the car in front is what they do for a living), but Verstappen shouldn't have turned into Ocon which took him out of the race (but he's a racing driver and defending his position is what they do). So, regarding the 'incident' I give them both the benefit of the doubt, a shrug of the shoulders and that's it.
However, Verstappens behaviour after the race physically attacking Ocon, especially after (apparently, I didn't see the race remember) announcing his intentions to do so over the radio is just totally unacceptable and for me, removed Verstappens 'benefit of the doubt'. He went for Ocon deliberately off track, and I
can't think why his on track behaviour should be viewed in any other way either.
Plus, to say that this type of behaviour has happened years ago by 'other' superstar drivers like Piquet & Senna does not make this behaviour acceptable today, times/attitudes have changed. In the same way that the way that women were treated years ago (for example) does not make that treatment acceptable nowadays.
Old 20 Nov 2018, 10:26 (Ref:3864445)   #535
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Indeed. *post count, remember post count..........

Nearly Abu Dhabi.
Old 20 Nov 2018, 10:29 (Ref:3864447)   #536
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Nearly Abu Dhabi.
I thought it took me a long time to get to work this morning.
Old 20 Nov 2018, 11:31 (Ref:3864463)   #537
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
We need someone with time on their hands to analyse the thread and determine the totals of Ocon and Verstappen supporters, plus what percentage of the thread was taken up with just the one incident discussion.....
Old 20 Nov 2018, 12:37 (Ref:3864477)   #538
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
We need someone with time on their hands to analyse the thread and determine the totals of Ocon and Verstappen supporters, plus what percentage of the thread was taken up with just the one incident discussion.....
Verstappen 49.5% : 49.5% Ocon (1% on the fence)

99.9% one incident

Anyone who disagrees with that is wrong. Obviously.
Old 20 Nov 2018, 12:50 (Ref:3864479)   #539
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

99.9% one incident

I disagree - I am not on the fence, I feel both drivers were in the wrong.
Old 20 Nov 2018, 12:59 (Ref:3864482)   #540
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
I disagree - I am not on the fence, I feel both drivers were in the wrong.
You are therefore included in both counts

Anyway, I'm done being silly for one day.
Old 20 Nov 2018, 13:15 (Ref:3864483)   #541
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

Anyway, I'm done being silly for one day.
Oh no you aren't!
Old 20 Nov 2018, 13:18 (Ref:3864484)   #542
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:

99.9% one incident

You're only able to say that with the benefit of hindsight...
Old 20 Nov 2018, 14:28 (Ref:3864503)   #543
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
A tad laborious, so instead why not a poll?
Old 20 Nov 2018, 15:01 (Ref:3864507)   #544
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
You are therefore included in both counts
50%, 50% and 1% on the fence.

We can't accept a 100% figure - it's too simple!!
Old 20 Nov 2018, 15:38 (Ref:3864513)   #545
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
A tad laborious, so instead why not a poll?
Err, it was meant as a joke......
Old 20 Nov 2018, 15:46 (Ref:3864514)   #546
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Err, it was meant as a joke......
Even so, a poll would be interesting.
Old 20 Nov 2018, 16:10 (Ref:3864528)   #547
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWill2073 View Post
By the way, I said around Mexico, when I vented my annoyances about Hamilton that he lives a charmed life... This is what I mean. He is gifted so many results it's ridiculous. Whether it he Ferrari quality control issues, Vettel brain fade or ocon silliness, there he is, getting another gift. And I fully admit he's the best on the grid right now.
for sure this year there was Bottas getting unlucky with debris at Baku and SV crashing out at Hockenheim...but is that a charmed life or just a savvy driver keeping his nose clean and taking advantage of the misfortune of others?

not enough credit going to drivers who avoid incidents all together.

although i do like your suggestion that post race LH was more about playing some mind games with young Max.

sets the stage nicely for next year and beyond!
Old 20 Nov 2018, 16:53 (Ref:3864538)   #548
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Wouldn’t surprise me if he was playing mindgames, as he knows Max is gonna be his big threat in the near future
Old 20 Nov 2018, 18:52 (Ref:3864558)   #549
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
I thought he was just stating the bleeding obvious.....

For anyone who has time for a read, interesting piece on the subject by Doug Nye on the Goodwood RRC site- https://www.goodwood.com/grrc/column...BER856,NFT2D,1
Old 20 Nov 2018, 19:21 (Ref:3864562)   #550
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Very enjoyable indeed.... It was another world - another planet almost - in those days......