Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 30 May 2011, 11:15 (Ref:2888115)   #26
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
It might not be that bad this season.
Old 30 May 2011, 11:34 (Ref:2888131)   #27
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's about 2012, not this season.
Old 30 May 2011, 12:06 (Ref:2888146)   #28
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptclaus98 View Post
You know, for supposed dream calendars, the races at some of these cicuits would be absolute snoozers. Lots of tight bike racing tracks.

EDIT: at least for the US selections.
Well, I would hardly call 'Road America' a twisty bike track. I accept 'Laguna Seca' is a twisty circuit, but a challenge because of the 'corkscrew', although overtaking would be difficult there - unless you're Alex Zanardi.
Old 30 May 2011, 18:50 (Ref:2888331)   #29
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My completely unrealistic calendar:

1. Australian GP - Mount Panorama
2. US GP West - Long Beach
3. San Marino GP - Imola
4. Spanish GP - Montjuich Park
5. Monaco GP - Monaco
6. French GP - Pau
7. Canadian GP - Montreal
8. Austrian GP - Red Bull Ring
9. German GP - Hockenheim (cut down the young trees and rebuild the original! It had character)
10. British GP - Brands Hatch GP
11. Belgian GP - Spa-Francorchamps
12. European GP - Nurburgring Nordschleife
13. Italian GP - Monza
14. Japanese GP - Suzuka
15. Chinese GP - Macau
16. US GP East - Road America
17. Argentinian GP - San Luis
18. Brazilian GP - Interlagos

I have no interest in holding races on MY calendar in Bahrain, Malaysia, Turkey, Hungary, Singapore, Korea, India, and MOST DEFINITELY no Abu Dhabi.
Old 30 May 2011, 19:34 (Ref:2888367)   #30
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
It's about 2012, not this season.
It might not be that bad in 2012, either. You would have to hope so.

Although I can see why it gets some bad press when it's compared to other street circuits.
Old 13 Jun 2011, 20:21 (Ref:2898349)   #31
blaffer
Racer

Belgium
Antwerp
blaffer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One could also consider this thread a sort of popularity poll for circuits. This is the provisional ranking (number track mentioned - descending order):

1. Monza, Spa-Francorchamps : 14
3. Interlagos : 13
4. Suzuka, Monaco, Silverstone : 12
7. Montreal : 11
8. Nürburgring, Red Bull Ring (Spielberg) : 10
10. Melbourne : 9
11. Imola, Singapore : 7
13. Yas Marina, Hockenheim, Portimao : 6
16. Jerez, San Luis (Arg), Paul Ricard, Austin : 5
20. Brands Hatch, Shanghai, Kyalami, Mexico, Laguna Seca, Sepang : 4

Underlined tracks are currently not on the F1 calendar, but could be a source of inspiration for replacements of GPs in jeopardy (Bahrain, Turkey, Austin, ...).
Old 14 Jun 2011, 01:24 (Ref:2898518)   #32
ujoint
Racer

United States
usa, virginia
ujoint should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridujoint should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The numbers and places look about right. However, If there is ever a second GP in the USA (we haven't even pulled off the first one of the new era) I would highly recommend a Las Vegas, NV venue on a real street course. The route the Las Vegas strip about a mile and half straight starting at the MGM north to Desert Inn, over to the convention center and down Paradise to the Hard Rock back over Harmon to Koval, down to Trop back over to the strip. I need some serious rest after this weekend. Start/Finish at the Hard Rock Cafe' on Harmon. Hey B.E. you readin this? Don't think you would have to worry about fans showing up for this one. 5 mile circuit at 50 laps or it could easily be shortened in circuit distance. This is what happens when you take racing too seriously. lol

Last edited by ujoint; 14 Jun 2011 at 01:32.
Old 14 Jun 2011, 01:27 (Ref:2898519)   #33
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ujoint View Post
The numbers and places look about right. However, If there is ever a second GP in the USA (we haven't even pulled off the first one of the new era) I would highly recommend a Las Vegas, NV venue on a real street course. The route the Las Vegas strip about a mile and half straight starting at the MGM north to Desert Inn, over to the convention center and down Paradise to the Hard Rock back over Harmon to Koval, down to Trop back over to the strip. I need some serious rest after this weekend. Start/Finish at the Hard Rock Cafe' on Harmon. Hey B.E. you readin this? Don't think you would have to worry about fans showing up for this one.
I thought they should have had the GP at Vegas rather than Austin.
Old 14 Jun 2011, 01:28 (Ref:2898520)   #34
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I thought they should have had the GP at Vegas rather than Austin.
Why?
Old 14 Jun 2011, 01:33 (Ref:2898521)   #35
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
Why?
The accomodation and the night life. True, I haven't been to Austin but I've been to Vegas a couple of times and everything is on tap.
Old 14 Jun 2011, 02:23 (Ref:2898532)   #36
icemachine
Veteran

Canada
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
icemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridicemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ron Fellows and some partners have just bought out Mosport from Don Panoz, with plans to do some upgrading over the next 18 months. If they could bring it up to spec without ruining it for the spectators I would love to see the Canadian GP alternating between there and Gilles Villeneuve
Old 14 Jun 2011, 05:08 (Ref:2898552)   #37
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
1. Italian Grand Prix at Monza
2. Spanish Grand Prix at Barcelona
3. British Grand Prix at Silverstone or Donnington.
4. German Grand Prix at Nurburgring
5. Austrian Grand Prix at Red Bull Ring
6. Monaco Grand Prix at Monaco, Monte Carlo
7. Canadian Grand Prix at Montreal
8. U.S. Grand Prix at Road America
9. Texas Grand Prix at Austin
10. Brazilian Grand Prix at Interlagos
11. Argentine Grand Prix at San Luis
12. European Grand Prix at Spa
13. San Marino Grand Prix at Imola
14. French Grand Prix at Magny-Cours
15. Hungarian Grand Prix at Budapest
16. Turkish Grand Prix at Istanbul
17. South African Grand Prix at Kyalami
18. Japanese Grand Prix at Suzuka
19. Australian Grand Prix at Melbourne

Chris
Old 14 Jun 2011, 18:20 (Ref:2898977)   #38
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaffer View Post
One could also consider this thread a sort of popularity poll for circuits. This is the provisional ranking (number track mentioned - descending order):

1. Monza, Spa-Francorchamps : 14
3. Interlagos : 13
4. Suzuka, Monaco, Silverstone : 12
7. Montreal : 11
8. Nürburgring, Red Bull Ring (Spielberg) : 10
10. Melbourne : 9
11. Imola, Singapore : 7
13. Yas Marina, Hockenheim, Portimao : 6
16. Jerez, San Luis (Arg), Paul Ricard, Austin : 5
20. Brands Hatch, Shanghai, Kyalami, Mexico, Laguna Seca, Sepang : 4

Underlined tracks are currently not on the F1 calendar, but could be a source of inspiration for replacements of GPs in jeopardy (Bahrain, Turkey, Austin, ...).

Thanks for the data.

To be honest, I'm surprised that Monaco isn't unanimous (it's like Wimbledon of F1 IMO). The highest up circuit 0on that list that I would question is Spielburg/Oesterreichring/A1-Ring/Red-Bull-Ring, as nice a circuit as it is I would suggest that there are better and more commercially viable. I should certainly be a jewel in the crown of the second tier of international single seater racing (along with Brands Hatch), and it would be my 20th/first reserve race (with Imola my second European reserve and Sepang my second non-European reserve).
Old 17 Jun 2011, 05:21 (Ref:2900712)   #39
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Alright, I can resist no more.

Here goes:
1. Australian Grand Prix- Melbourne
2. Malaysian Grand Prix- Sepang
3. South African Grand Prix- Kyalami (old circuit)
4. Arabian Grand Prix- Dubai Autodrome
5. Turkish Grand Prix- Istanbul
6. Spanish Grand Prix- Aragon (no back stretch chicane)
7. Monaco Grand Prix- Monte Carlo
8. Canadian Grand Prix- Mont Tremblant (no Turn 1 chicane)
9. United States Grand Prix- Road America
10. Mexican Grand Prix- Mexico City (original, 3.107-mile lap with Peralta banking)
11. European Grand Prix- Mugello/Algarve (alternating)
12. French Grand Prix- Paul Ricard (no Mistral chicane)
13. British Grand Prix- Brands Hatch GP
14. German Grand Prix- Hockenheim (pre-2002)
15. Czech Republic Grand Prix- Brno
16. Belgian Grand Prix- Spa-Francorchamps (re-reprofiling of Bus Stop and Start/Finish area)
17. Italian Grand Prix- Monza (no 1st chicane)
18. Japanese Grand Prix- Suzuka
19. Chinese Grand Prix- Macau
20. Pacific Grand Prix- Autopolis/Sentul/Philip Island (rotation)
21. Brazilian Grand Prix- Interlagos (full, 4.946-mile lap)
22. Argentinian Grand Prix- Potrero de los Funes

I was hoping to keep it to 20 races, but gave in to having a couple more. Russia could take the European GP slot in the future. If the Spanish circuits don't work out, switch to a straight Portuguese GP at Algarve. The rotation for the Pacific GP slot could change to something like Yeongam/Sentul/Buddh, or just be a straight Korean, Indonesian, or Indian Grand Prix depending on event success.

Tbere are a few fantasy items in mine, but a good majority of the venues are perfactly workable in some form. And I didn't strictly stick to the old classics, but include some new venues, some of which could be future classics (Autopolis and San Luis to name a couple).
Old 17 Jun 2011, 14:09 (Ref:2900931)   #40
Spritle
Veteran

Spritle has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
After watching Lewis & Tony do the seat swap, my dream calendar would be one where the USGP is held at Watkins Glen! Man do I miss that track!

A great venue where it won't be over 100 degrees F on the third weekend in June!

I know, dream on!
Old 17 Jun 2011, 17:08 (Ref:2901022)   #41
Bonanza
Racer

United Kingdom
behind you
Bonanza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think this thread proves that there should be a set list of 'protected' grands prix, where no matter where else we go, a set number of places must be on the calendar. And they seem to be:

Australia
Japan (Suzuka)
Brazil (Interlagos)
Canada (Montreal)
United States
Great Britain (Silverstone or Brands Hatch)
France
Germany
Italy (Monza)
Monaco (Monte Carlo)
Belgium (Spa)

These 11 seem to be pretty much essential to everyones calendars, and mine included. I think the FIA should make a clause with Bernie that sees these venues/countries are always kept on the calendar unless there is a case of force majure. It would protect what are essentially the major motor racing markets of the world, whilst being accompanied by new markets (India, China etc) and in my personal view we should then be going to places which I think are garunteed to have hords of F1 fans (Argentina, Mexico)
Old 17 Jun 2011, 18:14 (Ref:2901067)   #42
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Australian GP - Adelaide
Japanese GP - Suzuka
Indian GP - Buddh
Spanish GP - Aragon
San Marino GP - Imola
Dutch GP - Zandvoort
German GP - Nurburgring
Monaco GP - Monaco
Canadian GP - Montreal
US GP - Watkins Glen
French GP - Paul Ricard
Austrian GP - Red Bull Ring
Czech GP - Brno
British GP - Silverstone
Belgian GP - Spa
Italian GP - Monza
Portugeuse GP - Algarve
Singapore GP - Marina Bay
Argentine GP - San Luis
Brazilian GP - Interlagos
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna