Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 13 Jun 2011, 17:23 (Ref:2898237)   #26
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox89 View Post
1) The teams have rejected the radical 2013 regs. Expect things to be a lot less different than we were expecting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
The engines (possibly) and ground effects (definitely) may have got the push, but there are big restrictions on aerodynamics, all the same. The idea being to make the cars more efficient by not carrying around so much drag.
do we know which companies regardless of the regs will be the engine manu post 2013? only Ferrari and Mercedes are certainties right?

i have read (albeit who knows how reliable) that Renault want fully out and if someone is selling rebadged Renault engines (Pollack)is that what will end up in the back of Red Bull?

Mclaren's deal with Merc also ends soon so we will see what they end up with.

my gut feeling is that the Mercedes factory team is where LH will end up.
Old 13 Jun 2011, 17:36 (Ref:2898245)   #27
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Button got a lucky win if you ask me, autosport are blasting this story on the back of his win to make it seem like Hamilton is now all of a sudden considering RedBull because of this. Thats the tone of this story. I wonder though, if the situation was reversed and it was Hamilton who drove the way Button did causing Button to retire, and Alonso, who he escape penalty the way Button did?
Old 13 Jun 2011, 17:44 (Ref:2898249)   #28
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
do we know which companies regardless of the regs will be the engine manu post 2013? only Ferrari and Mercedes are certainties right?

i have read (albeit who knows how reliable) that Renault want fully out and if someone is selling rebadged Renault engines (Pollack)is that what will end up in the back of Red Bull?

Mclaren's deal with Merc also ends soon so we will see what they end up with.
Car maker 'Infiniti' currently buys Red Bull's supply of Renault engines for the team. So, effectively, Red Bull get engines for free. Maybe they will take over production of that engine if Renault is unable to get its way with the turbo engines?

Pollack is at the head of project 'PURE', who are supposed to be starting from scratch with their turbo engine.

I wouldn't be surprised if McLaren went for Cosworth engines, if it's stays as a V8 format. I can't see, like Ferrari, why they would want to build a 4 cylinder turbo engine. Engine noise sells Supercars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
my gut feeling is that the Mercedes factory team is where LH will end up.
Hamilton does get along well with Norbert Haug quite well, apparently.
Old 13 Jun 2011, 17:52 (Ref:2898256)   #29
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Button got a lucky win if you ask me,
All wins are 'lucky' then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
I wonder though, if the situation was reversed and it was Hamilton who drove the way Button did causing Button to retire, and Alonso, who he escape penalty the way Button did?
It has been agreed by all parties involved that both incidents were indeed 'racing incidents'.

Would your theoretical situation also mean that Button, and not Hamilton, would be looking for a drive at Red Bull?
Old 13 Jun 2011, 18:13 (Ref:2898273)   #30
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon View Post
It'll be interesting to see his excuses when he gets pasted by Vettel every race.
That's what I think would happen. I remember someone pointing out to me at the end of 2009 that Vettel was already top class, but several years younger than Hamilton and he has constently improved since then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesH View Post
The only reasons LH would leave Mclaren would be to a team with a faster car.

Anyone who can predict that Red Bull will have a faster car in 2013 can please send me their ideas on lottery numbers for the next couple of weeks.
The short answer to that is that they have Adrian Newey. I believe he is a more important part of producing a winning car than any driver.
Old 13 Jun 2011, 18:36 (Ref:2898289)   #31
Steve Milward
Racer

United Kingdom
Liverpool
Steve Milward should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Funnily enough Eddie Jordan cheekily joked with Martin Whitmarsh last night on BBC 1 regarding Lewis angling for a move to Red Bull.

The response was somewhat of a 'I though I told you not to say anything' glare from Whitmarsh.

To be honest I couldn't care, its been on the cards since the start of the season.
Old 13 Jun 2011, 19:25 (Ref:2898317)   #32
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralf fan View Post
Amazing how people are taking Button winning a race, after almost a year may I add, as some sort of change in fortune.

Who got the first win of the season for Mclaren? Who won more races last season? Who despite a similarly consistent start from Button ended up with more points last season?
It's always the way. If a big-name driver has two bad races, he's a liability. If he has two good races, he's a genius. It's like Alonso last year. A few bad races early on and you've got 'Has Alonso lost it?' then he drives like the Lord Jesus Christ for most of the 2nd half of the season and everyone thinks he's the dog's bollards again.

This is a blip for Hamilton, not a crisis.
Old 14 Jun 2011, 00:25 (Ref:2898493)   #33
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
That's what I think would happen. I remember someone pointing out to me at the end of 2009 that Vettel was already top class, but several years younger than Hamilton and he has constently improved since then.The short answer to that is that they have Adrian Newey. I believe he is a more important part of producing a winning car than any driver.
Given that RBR is a successful and on the whole harmonious outfit that works well together with Daniel Ricciardo amongst others in their young driver program, and the fact that Vettel likes Hamilton less than not at all.

Why would you put a wrecking ball through the operation?

Last edited by wnut; 14 Jun 2011 at 00:48.
Old 14 Jun 2011, 00:43 (Ref:2898503)   #34
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
It could happen...Ron won't let it and Lewis will see the light...
Old 14 Jun 2011, 02:19 (Ref:2898530)   #35
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If Hamilton moves to Red Bull, it will be the same as McLaren in 2007 minus the spygate scandal. (Ie: There would be a massive internal battle, like Hamilton and Telfonso)
Old 14 Jun 2011, 05:53 (Ref:2898557)   #36
AUSRSR
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
AUSRSR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We'd probably see a few more incidents like Turkey 2010 the way Lewis is hitting things at the moment, there must be magnets on other cars..
Old 14 Jun 2011, 06:55 (Ref:2898572)   #37
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox89 View Post
1) McLaren haven't been the same since Dennis left as principle. They make sloppy mistakes and just don't have the ability to create a car as well as Newey and his team can.
I'd agree with that. Whitmarsh seems like a nice guy when being interviewed but comes across as just a little worthy. With Dennis you knew you were going to get a no nonsense approach.
Old 14 Jun 2011, 08:17 (Ref:2898617)   #38
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
It could happen...Ron won't let it and Lewis will see the light...
I would also doubt that Helmut Marko would be the man for Lewis to go running to should things not go his way out on track. For all of it's 'Britishness' it's still an Austrian team. There are also other Red Bull 'rookies' waiting in the wings.

It could still happen (it's being denied - http://www.pitpass.com/43937-Hamilto...-Red-Bull-link), but I think that Hamilton needs McLaren more than Red Bull needs him.
Old 14 Jun 2011, 08:56 (Ref:2898635)   #39
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
According to the BBC, Hamilton's denying it all.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/moto...ne/default.stm
Old 14 Jun 2011, 08:58 (Ref:2898637)   #40
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Are we sure this isn't just a ploy to increase his Maclaren salary next time around. Simon Fuller's his manager and presumably on a commission. I can't see Red Bull paying an incredible amount to Lewis, destabilise a winning outfit and simultaneously render their young driver programme redundant.

But who knows? This is showbiz after all....
Old 14 Jun 2011, 11:05 (Ref:2898720)   #41
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritle View Post
Considering the way McLaren almost always seems to be able to turn a sow's ear into a silk handbag on the development front, he'd be crazy to leave IMHO. Not to mention the clean slate that will be the 2013 regs.
Wouldn't life be a lot easier if McLaren didn't start the season with a sow's ear of a car though? And let's not forget that the last time there was anything resembling 'clean slate' regs, in 2009, the McLaren was like a shopping trolley with an engine for the first half of the season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavio Galtieri View Post
Are we sure this isn't just a ploy to increase his Maclaren salary next time around. Simon Fuller's his manager and presumably on a commission. I can't see Red Bull paying an incredible amount to Lewis, destabilise a winning outfit and simultaneously render their young driver programme redundant.
How good is Red Bull's young driver programme though? With the exception of Vettel, they haven't brought anybody exceptional into F1 (and it was BMW who actually put Vettel in an F1 race for the first time). Buemi is average and Alguersuari is worse, defeating the object of Toro Rosso as a feeder team. There's nobody to 'graduate' to RBR in the way that Vettel did, and would they really want to bring a rookie into their championship-winning setup?

That's not to say that Hamilton would necessarily be the right choice for them - there would be an almighty intra-team scrap which could cost them as it did McLaren in 2007. I would personally love to see Hamilton and Vettel competing in equal machinery, but I'm far from convinced that it will actually happen. There's no doubt that Hamilton is frustrated right now though; it's fairly clear that he feels that his team isn't giving him a car that allows him to compete with Vettel, so it wouldn't surprise me if his management team is dropping hints here and there that he might be looking around for alternatives. I think their intention is probably really to give McLaren a kick up the backside rather than to seriously find Hamilton another team.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 14 Jun 2011, 11:39 (Ref:2898751)   #42
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf's Girl View Post

How good is Red Bull's young driver programme though? With the exception of Vettel, they haven't brought anybody exceptional into F1
How good is young Ricciardo? I've heard that he's good but don't really follow the junior series so i don't really know? Surely a season with STR then a full works drive with Red Bull in 2013 would be the more ideal way to go for the team?
Old 14 Jun 2011, 13:25 (Ref:2898833)   #43
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
How good is young Ricciardo? I've heard that he's good but don't really follow the junior series so i don't really know? Surely a season with STR then a full works drive with Red Bull in 2013 would be the more ideal way to go for the team?
Second place in Renault 3.5 in 2010.
Currently 6th Renault 3.5 series 2011 (missed 1st 2 rounds has won last 2 2nd heat Monza and Monte Carlo - Both clean sweeps - Pole FL and Win)
Won 6 out of 24 races (I think about 1/4 anyway)
10 pole positions, 10 podiums.

Topped a days testing in F1 last year AFAIK.

Pretty quick youngster!

I agree with your path however. Maybe good enough to hack it in the main game though.

Last edited by wnut; 14 Jun 2011 at 13:53. Reason: corrected wrong info
Old 15 Jun 2011, 11:23 (Ref:2899371)   #44
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I heard he's the next big thing for RBR...
Old 15 Jun 2011, 12:48 (Ref:2899431)   #45
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
I heard he's the next big thing for RBR...
So maybe it will be Ricciardo alongside Hamilton at RBR in 2013
Old 15 Jun 2011, 17:27 (Ref:2899650)   #46
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
When Vettel goes to Ferrari...

(And Webber to Renault. Obviously.)
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 15 Jun 2011, 17:56 (Ref:2899674)   #47
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What about Jacques Villeneuve?!
Old 16 Jun 2011, 03:41 (Ref:2899927)   #48
Peter Ford
Racer

Australia
Adelaide, south Australia
Peter Ford should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just wondering,could hamiltion and mclaren be longtime partners,(lewis be there until he retires?)
Old 16 Jun 2011, 05:20 (Ref:2899941)   #49
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ford View Post
Just wondering,could hamiltion and mclaren be longtime partners,(lewis be there until he retires?)
Depends how good a car McLaren give him, he wants multiple championships, he'll go where the best car he can get is.
Old 16 Jun 2011, 07:44 (Ref:2899991)   #50
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Depends how good a car McLaren give him, he wants multiple championships, he'll go where the best car he can get is.
Better be careful of falling inbetween 2 stools!