Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 4 May 2020, 21:55 (Ref:3974516)   #26
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
That's an interesting idea. Todt, Agag and the German manufacturers can agree to do it.
The first series to crack electric racing in road going body shapes (ignoring those cumbersome jaguars) with performance that can be as exciting (if not as fast) as NA engined sportscars/touring cars is going to be gold dust to manufacturers.

Like it or not, Formula E is only getting more relevant, more popular with manufacturers, and generally stronger each season that passes.

The future is electric, or hydrogen, or something. Just not petrol/diesel.
Old 4 May 2020, 21:59 (Ref:3974518)   #27
merak1974
Racer

Norway
Oslo
merak1974 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by OVERSTEER View Post
Would something resembling the Superstars series work?
What happened to that one? I remember Andrea Bertolini won it with the Maserati Quattroporte - must be some 10 years ago now...

Last edited by merak1974; 4 May 2020 at 22:27.
Old 4 May 2020, 22:49 (Ref:3974522)   #28
OVERSTEER
Veteran

England
Sheffield, England
OVERSTEER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by merak1974 View Post
What happened to that one? I remember Andrea Bertolini won it with the Maserati Quattroporte - must be some 10 years ago now...
It ran from 2004-14 running production based regulations, I think the promotor shut down, and attempt to continue under another was unsuccesful.
I could imagine that set of regs with DTM branding might work, especially if manufacturer level involvement wasn't made to be neccesary. I think there was post before in this thread suggesting that involving tuning companies might be the best way forward.
Old 5 May 2020, 03:48 (Ref:3974545)   #29
Asa
Veteran

Hong Kong
Disneyland
Asa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
https://www.motorsport.com/dtm/news/...rting/4788167/

Audi's lack of notice over DTM exit "unsporting" - BMW

BMW board member Klaus Frohlich, "It's not for me to evaluate another company. But from my point of view Audi is undergoing a far-reaching restructuring process.

"Whether it was sustainable to cut off the DTM pillar and whether Formula E is more viable in the long-term to communicate electric mobility - I put a question mark over that."

So Audi quitting from DTM is not really a marketing decision according to BMW. Also BMW reveals that DTM would become full electric in 2025.
Old 5 May 2020, 07:30 (Ref:3974566)   #30
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I can understand BMW being upset, they want the series to continue, yet Audi have quit just like that. It really has left the series in limbo
Old 5 May 2020, 08:30 (Ref:3974569)   #31
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with Fröhlich, Audi's exit seems unsportsmanlike and I'd rather buy a BMW than Audi now
Old 5 May 2020, 08:34 (Ref:3974570)   #32
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I can understand BMW being upset, they want the series to continue, yet Audi have quit just like that. It really has left the series in limbo
Are BMW genuinely upset - or is it just part of the parlance associated with a sporting rivalry?
Old 5 May 2020, 09:58 (Ref:3974588)   #33
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I don’t think we need to read too much into it
Old 5 May 2020, 10:03 (Ref:3974591)   #34
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I don’t think we need to read too much into it
Old 5 May 2020, 13:45 (Ref:3974616)   #35
antnee
Veteran

antnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridantnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ways to reduce costs are to standardise bits and stop development races. Therefore keep all the bits Joe Public doesn't care about (structure, suspension, drivetrain) as control items and only let the bits which could keep manufacturers interested.

A ruleset similar to NGTC could work well, but with a plan going forward about how it shifts to full electric/fuel cell. Pick a body type (maybe promote SUVs?) specify engine size (Production based 3.0-4.0L to keep the noise there) then allow hybrid gubbins to be developed over 5 years, at which point it switches to full electric. That way the series can be sold to OEM's boards by saying it is in line with the product ranges and will allow development of the key items we are promoting (batteries, electric motors, charging solutions and control systems).
Old 5 May 2020, 14:23 (Ref:3974621)   #36
S griffin
Veteran

I agree, the cars can remain sophisticated without all the extra expense of developing the cars. To be fair they have gone in the right direction by reducing aero, that got to a ridiculous level at the beginning of the last decade. Maybe now they could standardise a few bits too to keep costs under control
Old 5 May 2020, 14:30 (Ref:3974625)   #37
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DTM has always had a problem with it being a mostly manufacturer backed series, just look back at the DTM/ITC.

Manufacturers are only concerned with what their board of directors want, boards change and so do priorities/direction.

BTCC had the same issue at the end of the 90's, so many manufacturers left the championship and it struggled on for years before being reinvented with NGTC.

I expect the DTM won't take place in 2021, what would BMW have to gain from spending millions to race against itself. If a privateer beats a works BMW that will that say to the board of directors.

I am also in no doubt the series will be relaunched in a few years when the economy has recovered.
Old 5 May 2020, 14:31 (Ref:3974627)   #38
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Maybe now they could standardise a few bits too to keep costs under control
DTM cars already are 80% standardized... the problem is that the poured silly money into those parts that aren't.

The DTM dilemma really is a Venn-diagram without any overlap between the circles:

In one circle we have what the manufacturers want (electric racing) and in the other is what what the majority of DTM-fans want (loud widebody cars fielded by manufacturer teams). I really can't see how both, the fans' and the manufacturers' demands, could be fulfilled.
Old 6 May 2020, 01:12 (Ref:3974706)   #39
Asa
Veteran

Hong Kong
Disneyland
Asa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
https://www.motorsport.com/dtm/news/...3-gte/4788601/

Interesting take on what DTM could do for the near future.

If I was Berger, then I would take a break and come back in at least 3 years time. I would save my resources during this difficult economic situation, and prepare a new set of regulations that include full electrification and budget caps. I would also make sure Audi would have to pay through its nose to re-join.
Old 6 May 2020, 05:22 (Ref:3974717)   #40
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Would you say the same for Daimler/Mercedes-Benz, who left for basically the same reasons Audi did? Not to mention that paying out the nose is IMO a big part of the reason why only German makes had anything to do with DTM aside from the single season Aston Martin project.

That's what happens when you pander to OEM factory teams (look at how LMP1 imploded, and before that, LMGTP and LMP900 about 20 years ago, though that was because BMW (ironically) and Toyota wanted to use LM as a springboard to get into F1), and you basically had Audi, BMW and Mercedes there mostly because of German nationalistic motorsport pride. Which is why Audi didn't dump DTM when they dumped the WEC instead.

Not to mention IMO that BMW has room to talk, given how they left M-Tek high and dry with how they handed their WEC pull out and how the IMSA program probably wouldn't exist without BMW North America.

And at least Audi Sport are offering to support privateer teams next year to keep DTM afloat until new rules take effect, unlike what BMW did in WEC GTE. IMO, I do sadly think it's time to put the current iteration of DTM down. Honestly, I don't think that DTM understood what it wanted to be. German/European NASCAR? German/European JGTC/Super GT? GT/touring cars on steroids? Marketing and a saturated market in Europe of customer driven GT and touring car racing (where companies like Audi, Porsche, BMW and Mercedes-Benz/Mercedes-AMG have made a significant sum of money) have a lot to answer for.

Last edited by chernaudi; 6 May 2020 at 05:28.
Old 6 May 2020, 14:00 (Ref:3974770)   #41
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asa View Post
https://www.motorsport.com/dtm/news/...3-gte/4788601/

Interesting take on what DTM could do for the near future.

If I was Berger, then I would take a break and come back in at least 3 years time. I would save my resources during this difficult economic situation, and prepare a new set of regulations that include full electrification and budget caps.
Full electrification would fly with the manufacturers, but not with the majority of the fans. But what good is a series without fans for the manufacturers?
Old 6 May 2020, 16:12 (Ref:3974777)   #42
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
As a fan, I don't want to see full electrification. Certainly not in the short term. Auto racing is facing a culture clash/identity crisis enough right now. Not to mention that no mainstream auto maker (aside from Tesla, which has Elon Musk's billions and more money in Gov't subsidies/tax breaks behind it) even sells a fully electric car yet, certainly not in North America.

Audi probably sold more diesels in NA than they ever sold hybrids, even though they've been pushing hybrids more since dieselgate.

And the thing with today's culture, you don't really need motor racing anymore to sell cars. Win on Sunday, Sell on Monday is basically dead. Audi may've started to get to where they are now with sales and such with touring cars and LM, but by 2008, they didn't really need racing to market their stuff anymore. Same goes for basically everyone else. Just do stuff with product placement that makes your stuff look cool.

Which IMO sucks, but us auto racing fans are a minority among the car buying public.
Old 6 May 2020, 22:00 (Ref:3974822)   #43
S griffin
Veteran

I agree, electric power should remain in FE and it’s support series. No reason for DTM too
Old 6 May 2020, 22:15 (Ref:3974825)   #44
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
I agree, electric power should remain in FE and it’s support series. No reason for DTM too
Unless it's the only way for the series to survive?

Is it ICE or nothing?
Old 7 May 2020, 07:59 (Ref:3974863)   #45
S griffin
Veteran

I really doubt it's the only way DTM can survive. After all if they do it and it doesn't have the desired effect, then it's a complete waste.
Old 7 May 2020, 08:59 (Ref:3974868)   #46
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation
Sergiev Posad, Moscow Region, Russian Fe
helgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Are there any German "garagists" who are actually still interested in building their own cars? They could have organised a NGTC+alpha regulations. But I can bet that there are almost none as everybody is already advertised to the top of the head about how electricity is "green" and how beautiful those invisible gnomes who collect this wonderful electricity out of 4th dimension not polluting a single bit of Nature.
All in all, there are not enough petrolheaded engineers to recreate proper racing series. It would be a eDTM or BoTM - anything but normal racing.
Old 7 May 2020, 09:25 (Ref:3974873)   #47
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
I really doubt it's the only way DTM can survive. After all if they do it and it doesn't have the desired effect, then it's a complete waste.
If they did it and it doesn't have the desired effect, then it wouldn't have been the only way to survive. In fact, it would have not been a way to survive.

In it's current format, then it looks like it might not survive. Are you suggesting that you'd rather see it disappear altogether than to switch to EVs?
Old 7 May 2020, 09:30 (Ref:3974875)   #48
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
Not to mention that no mainstream auto maker [...] even sells a fully electric car yet, certainly not in North America.
Are you sure? A quick Google suggests that the following fully electric cars are on sale in NA (depends on if you view them as mainstream auto makers though ):

Audi E-Tron
BMW i3
Chevrolet Bolt EV
Honda Clarity Electric
Hyundai Ioniq Electric
Hyundai Kona Electric
Jaguar I-Pace
Kia Niro EV
Mini Cooper SE
Nissan Leaf
Nissan Leaf Plus
Porsche Taycan
Volkswagen E-Golf
Old 7 May 2020, 10:04 (Ref:3974889)   #49
S griffin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
If they did it and it doesn't have the desired effect, then it wouldn't have been the only way to survive. In fact, it would have not been a way to survive.

In it's current format, then it looks like it might not survive. Are you suggesting that you'd rather see it disappear altogether than to switch to EVs?

I’d rather see them look at every option first. Do you really think I want to see it disappear? Of course not. It’s an excellent series. But I feel it would lose something going electric
Old 7 May 2020, 10:42 (Ref:3974894)   #50
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
I’d rather see them look at every option first. Do you really think I want to see it disappear? Of course not. It’s an excellent series. But I feel it would lose something going electric
Agreed - all I was suggesting was: 'what if electric is the only viable option?'
You said there was no reason to go electric, I am putting one forward - survival.

Whether it's currently excellent, based on its current issues, is not a view held widely.