Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 21 Oct 2003, 20:18 (Ref:758710)   #1
esorniloc
Veteran

esorniloc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Monza race question?

In the European Touring car race at Monza last sunday (2nd one) there was a moment on the start finish straight where Tarquini was second tried to overtake Muller. Tarquini took the inside line for the chicane and looked like he would pass Muller. Then Coronel stuck his BMW behind Mullers and seemed to give Muller some extra push and both went past Tarquini.

I understand how the 2nd car can slipstream and get a faster tow, but how in this case did it help Muller with Coronel staying in the slipstream?

Does anyone have any idea how this BMW teaming worked?
Old 21 Oct 2003, 22:10 (Ref:758793)   #2
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Not too sure, but I think when one car gets in the draft of the one in front they get into an area where both cars act as 1.

Autosports site referred to it being like "bump drafting" in NASCAR.
Old 21 Oct 2003, 22:35 (Ref:758825)   #3
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Could it be possible that the BMW's were just running a slightly higher gear ratio? Or that the BMW just had more out and out grunt? I know the latter is unlikely but as for the gearing, well that could be the case. I know Monza is a extremely fast track but there are a few places where ur not going full chat and there are a few accleration zones.

Still Autosport are probably right...got no idea on how "bump drafting" works though.
Old 22 Oct 2003, 11:39 (Ref:759338)   #4
the_tsar
Racer

the_tsar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can I add a question about the race, who went off at the end of the first(??) lap in the second race, we heard a car going through a gravel trap but never saw anything, I thought it might have been a SEAT but not sure
Old 22 Oct 2003, 12:53 (Ref:759466)   #5
esorniloc
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by SALEEN S7R
Could it be possible that the BMW's were just running a slightly higher gear ratio? Or that the BMW just had more out and out grunt? I know the latter is unlikely but as for the gearing, well that could be the case.
I can't see how the BMW had more power, on the lap in question Targuini exited the parabolica in Muller's slipstream and looked the faster car as he pulled to the inside to overtake (I was sure he was going to), it was only when Coronel got behind Muller that the BMW's acted together and went faster than the Alfa.

Has anything like that ever happened before in a touring car race?

Last edited by esorniloc; 22 Oct 2003 at 12:53.
Old 22 Oct 2003, 15:02 (Ref:759655)   #6
The Bear
Rookie

The Bear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought bump-drafting was only effective at very high speeds. This from a US website:

"Typifying the measures to which drivers resort in the intense, full-contact skirmishing at 190 mph is the ''bump-drafting'' tactic Earnhardt's father helped formulate and Junior is perfecting.

When two cars are side by side, a tailgating pursuer can give the guy in front of him an advantageous boost with a hard rap. Think about it. The only no-no is to do it when cars are cornering"
Old 22 Oct 2003, 15:08 (Ref:759666)   #7
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by esorniloc
I can't see how the BMW had more power, on the lap in question Targuini exited the parabolica in Muller's slipstream and looked the faster car as he pulled to the inside to overtake (I was sure he was going to), it was only when Coronel got behind Muller that the BMW's acted together and went faster than the Alfa.

Has anything like that ever happened before in a touring car race?
Okay thinking about it, ur probably right. But Tarquni could have missed a gear, or had a problem changing gear or something for a second or so, I dont think he went wide, did he? He might have had to get off the power slightly.
Old 22 Oct 2003, 17:37 (Ref:759791)   #8
esorniloc
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by SALEEN S7R
But Tarquni could have missed a gear, or had a problem changing gear or something for a second or so, I dont think he went wide, did he? He might have had to get off the power slightly.
I thought the Alfa had a sequential gearbox, so can you miss a gear when all your doing is flipping a paddle? I don't think he went wide.

It is possible he got off the power, but the BMW's give him enough room didn't they?

When is the reply on Eurosport?
Old 23 Oct 2003, 22:32 (Ref:761349)   #9
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Slip streaming in this way can be of advantage to both cars. Obviously it works a lot better at higher speed obtained in NASCAR.

It was IIRC qutie an effect with the BMWs at Monza, so I am not sure this is the full story, but try these articles:

This one includes a nice little gif showing the effect at the top of the page. http://www.tinker.ncsu.edu/ericro/slipstream/
This second link includes some discussion on the 'social' implications of working together! http://www.firstmonday.dk/issues/issue5_2/ronfeldt/