Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 29 Jan 2009, 03:21 (Ref:2381843)   #26
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Whoops, sorry about the typos. Had to send it quickly as someone called for a transponder. He is one of our series drivers, and he WAS at Taupo with the family. Says he will never go there for an A1GP ever again.

According to local press, accommodation was booked out early, but then the cancellations, particularly from the corporates came flooding in. He made a late decision to go, with wife and two kids, and was surprised to get accomodation at the second call. (Many places eventually reported vacancies, with some teams only booking half what they did last year.)

Now this guy is an emergency clinic doctor, fairly dark skinned, but was not at all happy that not only could you not take your own food and drink into the circuit, you couldn't take it into the (uncovered) stand either, even when purchased on site!

Apart from the Muscle Cars, that always had a crowd around them, the paddock was boring, with too many identical cars. (V8 utes, Porsches, Toyota single seaters etc.) and in his opinion, most of the racing was mediocre at best.

Food and drink was extortionate (again) and promoters have to allow the various concessions the opportunity to make a profit without ripping off the spectators. Remember that they face a real risk of making a loss if the weather turns against them, so if they are charged the earth to be there, they have to pass it on.

You can cast whatever blame and wherever, but it seems that the NZ spectator is astute enough to recognise value for money - this is after all a low wage country.

Oh, and apparently, there was speedboat racing on Lake Taupo too... Can't blame that on Puke or Motorsport NZ.

Last edited by socram; 29 Jan 2009 at 03:23.
Old 29 Jan 2009, 03:37 (Ref:2381846)   #27
Evomike
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Evomike should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I too made a last minute decision to attend (after not going last year), I tried to get accomodation for 1 night and was advised I could have it but would have to pay for 3! Needless to say I found someone I knew and stayed with them. The strict attitude on food and drink is harsh, it is expensive enough without making families buy water although I was allowed to take in a bottle of powerade on Sunday (That might have more to do with how hungover I looked!). The support races where not the best, I mean a porsche endurance race???? Although the Giz was quick! Again stands where pretty empty. To be honest, the gaps between races are too long for the most part with not much to do in between.
I did enjoy my weekend, but more because it was a weekend away than a weekend at the races.
Old 29 Jan 2009, 04:51 (Ref:2381855)   #28
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by socram
Whoops, sorry about the typos. Had to send it quickly as someone called for a transponder. He is one of our series drivers, and he WAS at Taupo with the family. Says he will never go there for an A1GP ever again.

According to local press, accommodation was booked out early, but then the cancellations, particularly from the corporates came flooding in. He made a late decision to go, with wife and two kids, and was surprised to get accomodation at the second call. (Many places eventually reported vacancies, with some teams only booking half what they did last year.)

Now this guy is an emergency clinic doctor, fairly dark skinned, but was not at all happy that not only could you not take your own food and drink into the circuit, you couldn't take it into the (uncovered) stand either, even when purchased on site!

Apart from the Muscle Cars, that always had a crowd around them, the paddock was boring, with too many identical cars. (V8 utes, Porsches, Toyota single seaters etc.) and in his opinion, most of the racing was mediocre at best.

Food and drink was extortionate (again) and promoters have to allow the various concessions the opportunity to make a profit without ripping off the spectators. Remember that they face a real risk of making a loss if the weather turns against them, so if they are charged the earth to be there, they have to pass it on.

You can cast whatever blame and wherever, but it seems that the NZ spectator is astute enough to recognise value for money - this is after all a low wage country.

Oh, and apparently, there was speedboat racing on Lake Taupo too... Can't blame that on Puke or Motorsport NZ.
Some track owners and promoters don't seem to get that when people come to your track they are guests and should be treated as such. If they don't enjoy it they don't come back simple as that especially if they paid out a pretty penny for it.

It's like a bad restaurant with terrible food, mean or incompetent staff and/or a bad setting. Who would go there again?

Guest service is a concept a lot of people need to work on.
Old 29 Jan 2009, 13:13 (Ref:2382063)   #29
TR7V8
Rookie

TR7V8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This thread has gone off topic but FWIW any criticism of food & drink bans/prices at Taupo is valid for all major sports events. Until you've had a beer at an American sports arena you've got nothing to complain about!
Old 30 Jan 2009, 12:46 (Ref:2382638)   #30
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
NAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar
Some track owners and promoters don't seem to get that when people come to your track they are guests and should be treated as such. If they don't enjoy it they don't come back simple as that especially if they paid out a pretty penny for it.

It's like a bad restaurant with terrible food, mean or incompetent staff and/or a bad setting. Who would go there again?

Guest service is a concept a lot of people need to work on.
Well said. I have been for the last 3 years and there was a noticeable difference in the crowd from year to year. Me think those guest voted with their feet.
Old 13 Feb 2009, 02:22 (Ref:2396534)   #31
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great news that Bamber is driving in South Africa. He is the form driver at the moment and the most likely to put it on the podium in my opinion. Van der Drift must be no slouch having won Formula Masters but I would not mind giving Bamber more seat time in order to prepare for a championship assault next season.
Old 13 Feb 2009, 06:03 (Ref:2396579)   #32
nic.v814
Racer

New Zealand
Perth
nic.v814 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bad news for johnny i guess i really wanted to see him back in the car
Old 13 Feb 2009, 09:36 (Ref:2396672)   #33
F3 Rocks
Racer

Wales
F3 Rocks should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nic.v814
Bad news for johnny i guess i really wanted to see him back in the car
Me to, New Zealand are in the enviable position of having 3 top and capable drivers to choose from, but I still rate Jonny the best
Old 13 Feb 2009, 16:14 (Ref:2396948)   #34
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My take on it is that we`ve already seen what Jonny can do, but Bamber has better long term potential. Jonny has already finished second to Hulkenberg and Jani, if he was going to win it he would have by now and Giltrap hasn`t invested so much to finish second.
Old 13 Feb 2009, 18:50 (Ref:2397033)   #35
fredd1
Racer

fredd1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe Giltrap didn't invest just to finish second......At present rate of progress even given Bamber's promise, second placing is just another dream fading as this series fades.
Old 17 Feb 2009, 02:44 (Ref:2398829)   #36
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Team NZ might have sponsorship trouble shortly. It is reported in the NZ Herald that Fisher & Paykel have a mountain of debt and are requesting a government bailout, something many people in NZ don't seem to support since they have moved factories out of NZ at the expense of jobs. A couple of posters on the news website also ask why the company threw money at A1GP sponsorship, suggesting it was a waste of money.
Old 18 Feb 2009, 06:53 (Ref:2399452)   #37
nic.v814
Racer

New Zealand
Perth
nic.v814 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
doesnt the nz herald sponsor team nz as well??
Old 18 Feb 2009, 08:35 (Ref:2399485)   #38
Mak
Veteran

Mak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that Colin Giltrap under-writes all the NZ budget with his many businesses. These other sponsors go into the pot to top it up and there are possibly deals within deals there. Is another reasons to be bending over back wards to keep him happy and not burden him (& other major seat holders) with A1 cash problems.
Old 24 Feb 2009, 09:10 (Ref:2402974)   #39
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Rumour has it that whilst Jonny was a paid driver, the current pairing are paying for drives... Can anyone substantiate that?