Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 14 Sep 2015, 06:53 (Ref:3573739)   #76
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I noticed that Tony Jardine was using my old Anglebox from the back of the grid, he should have hired my faster current one to get anywhere near the other Goodwood Special "Hot Rods" !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 14 Sep 2015, 08:29 (Ref:3573751)   #77
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
I noticed that Tony Jardine was using my old Anglebox from the back of the grid, he should have hired my faster current one to get anywhere near the other Goodwood Special "Hot Rods" !
I watched the three days via online and TV, and the commentators seemed to be mumbling at the time that they spoke briefly about the 105E, and I think that they said something along the lines that they had had to borrow it as disaster had struck their original entry.

I must admit that I thoroughly enjoyed my 3 days in front of the screen, and was entertained throughout, although I would have appreciated it if the "director" hadn't cut away to cameras which seemed to always portray a pretty wench during the course of some outstanding battles on track.

Even though many of the cars seemed to be far removed from the specification that they raced in those many years ago, I think that we have to overlook the fact. The purist in me says that it is all wrong, but just watching how ardently the cars were being driven tells me that you can't stop progress, and I was entertained and admiring of the drivers' efforts in equal measures.

Yet another dammed fine show, Your Lordship (no, not you Gordon!), and one that seemed to be enjoyed equally by the spectators and the drivers.
Old 14 Sep 2015, 09:18 (Ref:3573762)   #78
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
.... the commentators seemed to be mumbling at the time that they spoke briefly about the 105E, and I think that they said something along the lines that they had had to borrow it as disaster had struck their original entry.....
I think Tony Jardine tweeted something about they had to borrow another 105E from Mark Thomas as the engine died in the original car.
Old 14 Sep 2015, 10:43 (Ref:3573771)   #79
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Thanks, Gary.
Old 14 Sep 2015, 11:44 (Ref:3573782)   #80
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Saturdays' St Mary's was possibly the most exciting race I have ever watched. The car control among the front four was phenomenal and for once I was glad to be watching at home as otherwise would have missed most of the action. Unfortunately the leadership battle was so gripping the rest of the field hardly got a look in.

Odd, there were no in-car cameras this year as far as I'm aware, otherwise the coverage was very good.
Old 14 Sep 2015, 12:39 (Ref:3573793)   #81
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
I missed most races, including Part 1 of StMT, but guess that they will all be loaded onto Goodwood's YouTube site as previously?

The live streaming and use of YouTube should be regarded as an object lesson on how to do it by other race meetings. Thank you, Goodwood!

Old 14 Sep 2015, 13:28 (Ref:3573803)   #82
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mike, make sure you're hiding behind the sofa when you watch the finish of the 500cc F3 race!
Old 14 Sep 2015, 13:37 (Ref:3573805)   #83
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
Mike, make sure you're hiding behind the sofa when you watch the finish of the 500cc F3 race!
Rob Wilson was too busy watching the incident on the big screen to realise that the errant automobile was about to strike the wall where he was standing!
Fortunately no humans were hurt in the making of the film!
Old 14 Sep 2015, 14:03 (Ref:3573808)   #84
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
Yes Peter, I was relieved that no one was hurt either driver or marshals etc. I did fear the worst when I saw the car heading to the wall (given the type of car).

Just to add my bit on Goodwood - I know it has its detractors and there may be faults but taken in the whole it's a superb event which I throughly enjoyed despite being confined to the timing room (as I wasn't due to be there at all until a week or so beforehand I have no complaints on that score). Therefore, I didn't get chance to see many 'Tenthers but as always it was good to see Delta on Sunday morning.

Roll on Spa this coming weekend!
Old 14 Sep 2015, 14:56 (Ref:3573820)   #85
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Yes always good to see you as well Garry. Bumped into a few tenthers but the best meeting was with Simon Drable as we were both getting our race kit scrutineered poor old Simon had forgot his race shoes. Delta to the rescue.
Old 14 Sep 2015, 16:03 (Ref:3573832)   #86
LAK
Racer

LAK should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLAK should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My first post for years and no better than to comment on a fantastic Revival event. We were shocked to get an invite in our Lancia Aurelia in Fordwater and I was equally shocked to be asked by hubby Jason to drive the car. Great that friend Chris also got an entry in his car. Enjoyable practice although not used to such short practices / races these days and thrilled to get 11th on the grid.

Started very well and got into the top 10 but the car had a fuel problem before I reached the first corner. Every car streamed past me and I was now dead last in second gear and barely moving. I thought I might be able to get back to the pits and then the car burst into life - must have been a an air lock. Anyway I thought I'd get to the pits but on overtaking two cars the car was storming so I was now on a mission. Car after car I overtook and some twice...the car was flying, dancing and drifting. Amazingly we came from last to 11th in less than 20 minutes, making up 17 positions and overtaking around 20 cars in the process (lapping a few). All of this was missed by commentators and cameras but not by the people that matter, our friends and my fellow competitors.

A great grid of cars, ours is a road car with 60+ year components and I'm sure most on our grid are as they should be, no hot rods or silliness. I even drove our Aurelia to and from Goodwood with the motor home following behind and we had to use it on Thursday to go into Chichester to get some new leisure batteries for our motor home as they'd failed overnight. The Aurelia is used to ferrying us around in various countries and being used for long distance events - we won the Index of Performance at the Modena Cento Ore last year for the second time with no support crew and no issues at all.

It was lovely to see lots of people we haven't seen for a while including Mr Drabble although we missed lots of others. Best race for us was Part 2 of the bike race - never been so excited watching a race. Hard, fast, constant lead charges and with fairness and a spirit that is rarely seen in any form of Motorsport these days. Lovely weekend and one that will live in the memory for a very long time.
Old 14 Sep 2015, 17:38 (Ref:3573847)   #87
rbm
Racer

rbm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well just walked back through the door - absolutely shattered, but what a great weekend.

miss fire in practice, so had to do the usual engine change. Had a great start made up quite a few places in the first half of the first lap then in usual 500 style it all went a horribly - clutch slip no drive at all by the chicane - coasted into the pits.

the 500 bunch on the pit wall jumped on to the car, clutch plates were glowing, doused with the marshals drinking water and a 2 gallon bucket they got for us (thanks!), they ripped the clutch mech to bits locking what was left solid, back on to compression and a quick push down the pit lane and back into the race.

we had lost two and a half laps or less than 5 minutes - thanks chaps!

not surprisingly we came last, but set the fast lap with a JAP of finishers and she saw the checkered flap at Goodwood for the first time in 61 years.
Old 14 Sep 2015, 17:54 (Ref:3573851)   #88
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can see now why 500cc car drivers don't wear seat belts! I reckon the driver of the green car couould have badly damaged his neck if his body hadn't followed his head forward.
Old 14 Sep 2015, 18:13 (Ref:3573859)   #89
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
I can see now why 500cc car drivers don't wear seat belts! I reckon the driver of the green car couould have badly damaged his neck if his body hadn't followed his head forward.
I know we all had a good laugh and joke about lack of belts and roll hoop protection.
Paul Hewes who rolled at the pit entrance I doubt would be around now if it were not for his Roll hoop.One of the few 500 that has one.
Old 14 Sep 2015, 18:16 (Ref:3573861)   #90
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's taken me a while but I'm beginning to see the attraction of 500cc F3 racing. You're mad as a box of frogs, the lot of you, but I've never seen such cameraderie and willingness to help in 40 years of racing.

It all started for Iain and I at Angouleme some years ago when we transported a 500 F3 (the Comet) there and had to start it for the first time in the Town Hall courtyard with an audience of several hundred spectators.

...it didn't go very well.
Old 14 Sep 2015, 18:40 (Ref:3573862)   #91
rbm
Racer

rbm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Morgan View Post
It's taken me a while but I'm beginning to see the attraction of 500cc F3 racing.

You're mad as a box of frogs
yep a big box!
Old 14 Sep 2015, 19:07 (Ref:3573865)   #92
Normal Bloke
Rookie

Normal Bloke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
Yes Peter, I was relieved that no one was hurt either driver or marshals etc. I did fear the worst when I saw the car heading to the wall (given the type of car).

Just to add my bit on Goodwood - I know it has its detractors and there may be faults but taken in the whole it's a superb event which I throughly enjoyed despite being confined to the timing room (as I wasn't due to be there at all until a week or so beforehand I have no complaints on that score). Therefore, I didn't get chance to see many 'Tenthers but as always it was good to see Delta on Sunday morning.

Roll on Spa this coming weekend!
I too, have had my moments criticising this event, mainly for it's Closed Shop/Jobs-for-the-boys/invitation-if-you're-a-little-bit-famous approach but I was glued to the live stream from Friday to Sunday and had to marvel at some of the performances of those lucky enough to be able to drive here. .....and also the coverage and commentary which was fantastic.
It's still the best.....even if I am dead envious of anyone who gets an invitation!
Old 14 Sep 2015, 19:53 (Ref:3573876)   #93
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Morgan View Post
It's taken me a while but I'm beginning to see the attraction of 500cc F3 racing. You're mad as a box of frogs, the lot of you, but I've never seen such cameraderie and willingness to help in 40 years of racing.

It all started for Iain and I at Angouleme some years ago when we transported a 500 F3 (the Comet) there and had to start it for the first time in the Town Hall courtyard with an audience of several hundred spectators.

...it didn't go very well.
Alan moving on ten years and I had the same driver in a different car at Goodwood . Poor Duncan had to suffer me shouting "let the clutch up " or "don't touch the throttle " . 500 racing and the people involved are just fantastic . Just fantastic . I'm hooked and want my own car now but don't tell Mrs Delta
Old 14 Sep 2015, 20:11 (Ref:3573882)   #94
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I was lucky enough (that is old enough) to remember 500cc racing in it's heyday, before it was replaced by that dreadful Formula Junior. It provided some of the best racing you could ever imagine. Tremendous sound close side-by-side action, no roll bars, plain old fashioned helmets, wide variety of cars, and names like Moss, Collins, Russell, Bueb, Leston, Parker etc.

I truly miss seeing a horde of Coopers, Kiefts, and any number of other makes plunging down Paddock Hill Bend.

You chaps do not know what you missed, should have been born earlier.

Mr Misty Eyed.
Old 14 Sep 2015, 20:59 (Ref:3573888)   #95
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The lad in the 500 that hit the tyres might have jumped out and walked away, but I'll bet he's sore as hell today. If you look at the shape of the steering wheel either his head or chest must have taken quite an impact. A very lucky fellow I think.
Old 14 Sep 2015, 21:21 (Ref:3573891)   #96
Nick JM
Veteran

United Kingdom
South Bucks
Nick JM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another fantastic weekend.

Excellent racing on every level and also more people seemed to make an effort on the clothing front.

Love or hate it you cannot help but be wooed by it. Personally I utterly love it even though I totally endorse another comment on here that it's only the famous, well connected or the very well off with some incredible cars who get invited.

Jealous? You bet.

Will I go again and again? Absolutely

My only couple if gripes and that's on a personal level:

1. One make races never go down well. Celebrating Ferraris through the ages is all very well but it was only ever going to be a race between the last 6 built. Bit like the Minis/ Jags etc they Have done before...one make races are a little tedious for spectators unless they are all on the same spec which by definition at Goodwood they are not;

2. Goodwood ale is among the most pleasant beers ever so exactly how much money did Sharpe's brewery have to pay His Lordship to poison the venue with their foul bloody Doombar?
Old 14 Sep 2015, 22:36 (Ref:3573906)   #97
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McKay View Post
Saturdays' St Mary's was possibly the most exciting race I have ever watched. The car control among the front four was phenomenal and for once I was glad to be watching at home as otherwise would have missed most of the action. Unfortunately the leadership battle was so gripping the rest of the field hardly got a look in.

Odd, there were no in-car cameras this year as far as I'm aware, otherwise the coverage was very good.
Colin I expect the onboard will be in the edited edition. Those cameras won't have F1 style transmitting equipment for the live show.

Just catching up on Motors now. What a driver by TK!
Old 15 Sep 2015, 06:27 (Ref:3573951)   #98
Nick JM
Veteran

United Kingdom
South Bucks
Nick JM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TK had an incredible drive from the back of the grid.

All the professional drivers make what they drive for a living look easy but it's only when you put them in histerics with no grip and no brakes you begin to appreciate just how good they are in their day job.

Btw while having a walk about I saw the team working in the brakes of that Thunderbolt. Did it really have vented discs in period...?
Old 15 Sep 2015, 10:51 (Ref:3573988)   #99
corporalsparrow
Rookie

corporalsparrow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi all,

I was in the Woodcote stand for St Mary's Part 1 and Frank Stippler's epic drift around the outside of Gordon Shedden will live in the memory for quite a while.

He had the entire stand willing him to win, and there were cries of "oh no!" when the Thunderbolt appeared.

As the commentator said it would have been a boring race if TK was on the front of the grid and I think he was right.

A great drive it may have been for TK but I think Her Stippler was the peoples' champion.
Old 15 Sep 2015, 11:22 (Ref:3573996)   #100
corporalsparrow
Rookie

corporalsparrow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
has anyone else noticed how the St Mary's was a metaphor for WW1?!

The plucky Brits harried by a relentless German in a red machine for pretty much the duration before..wait! The Americans are coming…overpowered and over specced as usual…but they're here and they take victory. With us behind and the German a distant…well he lost didn't he.

ok..ok…not necessarily Historically accurate.

….I'll get me coat.