Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 15 Sep 2015, 12:08 (Ref:3574000)   #101
Dan Rear
Veteran

Dan Rear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick JM View Post
Another fantastic weekend.

Excellent racing on every level and also more people seemed to make an effort on the clothing front.

Love or hate it you cannot help but be wooed by it. Personally I utterly love it even though I totally endorse another comment on here that it's only the famous, well connected or the very well off with some incredible cars who get invited.

Jealous? You bet.

Will I go again and again? Absolutely

My only couple if gripes and that's on a personal level:

1. One make races never go down well. Celebrating Ferraris through the ages is all very well but it was only ever going to be a race between the last 6 built. Bit like the Minis/ Jags etc they Have done before...one make races are a little tedious for spectators unless they are all on the same spec which by definition at Goodwood they are not;

2. Goodwood ale is among the most pleasant beers ever so exactly how much money did Sharpe's brewery have to pay His Lordship to poison the venue with their foul bloody Doombar?
Nick, Sharpe's DoomBar is now part of an International Beer Conglomerate. No longer brewed by a sleepy little West Country brewery. That means they'll 'leverage the Brand' until everyone's fed-up with it, then move onto the next one.
Old 15 Sep 2015, 12:12 (Ref:3574002)   #102
rwstokes
Rookie

rwstokes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This was my first time attending the Revival, but I have been very lucky to get to the Members meeting and FOS this year. I love just how different all 3 are.
Really enjoyed the effort so many people went to to look the part, I know its a little thing and some people see it as fancy dress etc, but it just makes the event feel so different to anything else like it (silverstone classic being the prime example).

3 of the best races I think I have seen, the St Marys Part 1, Barry Sheene part 2 and the 500cc Formula Juniors were simply outstanding.

Some pictures of mine are being used by Jalopnik. I will put up some in a public album on Flickr early next week once they have had what they want, fairly sure I caught some tenthers in there, so I'll stick a link here too.
Old 15 Sep 2015, 12:49 (Ref:3574007)   #103
relativtortoise
Racer

relativtortoise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Overall an excellent event as always

What is the reason that there are no A30 / A40's - are they outclassed when somewhere near legal?

What has happened to Grant Williams and BUY1?
Old 15 Sep 2015, 14:46 (Ref:3574024)   #104
Normal Bloke
Rookie

Normal Bloke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by relativtortoise View Post
Overall an excellent event as always

What is the reason that there are no A30 / A40's - are they outclassed when somewhere near legal?

What has happened to Grant Williams and BUY1?
Don't panic......They'll be here next year when it's the pre-1960s turn - the 50s and 60s cars race in alternate years.
Old 15 Sep 2015, 19:14 (Ref:3574063)   #105
rbm
Racer

rbm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

as said the clutch was a tad toasty!

Last edited by rbm; 15 Sep 2015 at 19:14. Reason: typo
Old 15 Sep 2015, 20:25 (Ref:3574078)   #106
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Fantastic photograph

Goodwood continues to do the sublime & ridiculous to extremes unsurpassed.
Old 15 Sep 2015, 21:57 (Ref:3574111)   #107
Nick JM
Veteran

United Kingdom
South Bucks
Nick JM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Rear View Post
Nick, Sharpe's DoomBar is now part of an International Beer Conglomerate. No longer brewed by a sleepy little West Country brewery. That means they'll 'leverage the Brand' until everyone's fed-up with it, then move onto the next one.
Sadly true mate.

To be frank I was never a massive fan when it was brewed in Steinville Padstow. However, now it's brewed in Burton Godhelp all real ale boys!
Old 16 Sep 2015, 08:06 (Ref:3574186)   #108
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
My Local brewery now has bottles/cans in shops. Its been sanitised, and tastes like generic pond water.

fortunately the brewery shop has a fantastic shop and they'll sell fresh ale from pint to barrel as requested.

I don't think I've ever had a decent beer at Goodwood, except in Rogers bar, or from our own. Its not generally speaking, why we go, but sometimes you just need one.
Old 16 Sep 2015, 14:23 (Ref:3574238)   #109
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A few general shots from the weekend taken around the circuit and of the grid so boringly static, best I could do I'm afraid. Many through heavily tinted glass (helps me to nod off ) so apologies for quality / colour - vintage effect applied to some.
Attached Thumbnails
Goodwood Revival_2015_0068.jpg   Goodwood Revival_2015_0124.jpg   Goodwood Revival_2015_0126.jpg  

Goodwood Revival_2015_0146.jpg   Goodwood Revival_2015_0149.jpg   Goodwood Revival_2015_0181.jpg  

Old 16 Sep 2015, 14:24 (Ref:3574240)   #110
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Few more:
Attached Thumbnails
Goodwood Revival_2015_0196.jpg   Goodwood Revival_2015_0243.jpg   Goodwood Revival_2015_0254.jpg  

Goodwood Revival_2015_0291.jpg   Goodwood Revival_2015_0311.jpg   Goodwood Revival_2015_0321.jpg  

Old 16 Sep 2015, 14:28 (Ref:3574241)   #111
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
Last batch:
Attached Thumbnails
Goodwood Revival_2015_0323.jpg   Goodwood Revival_2015_0325.jpg   Goodwood Revival_2015_0437.jpg  

Goodwood Revival_2015_0458.jpg   Goodwood Revival_2015_0469.jpg   Goodwood Revival_2015_0474.jpg  

Old 16 Sep 2015, 14:37 (Ref:3574245)   #112
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Unusual to see such a long queue to get into the gents (3rd photo, top strip). I might have expected that for the ladies, though!
Old 16 Sep 2015, 14:54 (Ref:3574253)   #113
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
I've been wondering what happened to the seats, trim, bumpers and wheels on all the saloon cars.

I do like that Fraser Nash tin top, or should I say leather top?
Old 16 Sep 2015, 17:49 (Ref:3574276)   #114
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
Last batch:
I love the picture of Ferocious Frankie
Old 16 Sep 2015, 18:00 (Ref:3574280)   #115
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
Cheers Tim. It was quite impressive watching it circling the airfield.
Old 16 Sep 2015, 20:16 (Ref:3574300)   #116
BudLightJaguar
Veteran

Finland
BudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Here's a few photos from my memory card

https://www.flickr.com/photos/126204...57658304485658
Old 16 Sep 2015, 20:47 (Ref:3574304)   #117
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What a fantastic St Mary's Part 2 for Nick Swift. That guy is totally, totally BONKERS. And what a driver!

I don't like the pantomime and the dressing up but when the flag drops by God the stars shine brightly. Thank goodness for Motors that shows the racing and none of the ballyhoo like ITV4 does!
Old 16 Sep 2015, 21:32 (Ref:3574312)   #118
Nick JM
Veteran

United Kingdom
South Bucks
I like the ballyhoo. If all one went for was the racing one may as world save sixty quid and go to Brands Hatch.

All these ones makes me sound like the queen !!
Old 17 Sep 2015, 05:59 (Ref:3574337)   #119
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's why I prefer the Silverstone Classic.

There is nothing else in life except racing.
Old 17 Sep 2015, 06:23 (Ref:3574338)   #120
Nick JM
Veteran

United Kingdom
South Bucks
As a driver the Classic is superb but as a spectator, to be brutally honest, I find it (the racing) a little uninteresting.

I think it's partly due to the fact that as a circuit Sillystone is possibly the worst circuit to spectate (as in be able to see anything) and partly because many of the cars are lost on the massive GP circuit.

Every time I am thinking of going to Sillystone to watch (it is my local track) I groan inwardly if whatever is on is GP track and then shoot off the Brands!

Spectating on the National track at the outside of Becketts particularly if it's wet is by some margin, better than watching anything on the GP track
Old 17 Sep 2015, 08:21 (Ref:3574355)   #121
midgetman
Veteran

I like the access to the things that matter at Silverstone - the cars. Both in the garages and around the site of course. Love watching the drivers come back in the parc ferme, eyes wide open and sharing stories. Yes most of the racing is less-than-epic but I still enjoy it.

Plus I feel self-conscious in anything other than work sweatshirt and jeans, so couldn't possibly be part of the Goodwood "scene".
Old 17 Sep 2015, 08:52 (Ref:3574359)   #122
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame

I used to be a regular at the Revival, and always tried to 'fit in' as I see this a matter of respect to the organisers, if one enjoys the racing, it is good manners not cause 'offence'.
Personally I believe is less a matter of 'dressing up', and more not dressing to, let us say 'clash'.

On year while strolling around the back of the circuit I saw a whole family, father, mother and two kids all wearing Aguri Formula 1 gear, they looked so out of place it was laughable.

Mr Turner and I have 'clashed' before on this issue so I will say no more.

Last edited by bauble; 17 Sep 2015 at 08:58.
Old 17 Sep 2015, 11:49 (Ref:3574374)   #123
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
It appalls me how badly most people dress, full stop.

Goodwood requires a little more thought than one might ordinarily expect, but its nothing out of the ordinary for a decent chap!
Attached Thumbnails
DSC03057 (2).JPG  
Old 17 Sep 2015, 19:21 (Ref:3574459)   #124
midgetman
Veteran

That's all very nice, it's the Marilyn Monroe & Flying Officer Kite wannabes etc that I'm not up for. And I look nowhere near as natty as you in period clothes Joe (in fact I look a bit of a prat), so best I stay away slouching around in jeans and sweatshirt!
Old 22 Sep 2015, 11:27 (Ref:3575986)   #125
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
And the less said about Elvis/Austin Powers etc the better. I wear jeans and swetashirt in the workshop all day, its the last thing I want to wear at the weekend, or evening for that matter. I guess the inverse of taking a tie off when you leave the office.