Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 12 Jul 2005, 03:40 (Ref:1353166)   #1
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
The Foothills of North Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Google Earth

Just needed to drop in to mention this new utility Google has released. It's a free download that gives you satellite images of the entire world, street maps, the ability to view those images from all different tilts and angles, 3D elevation relief, building models in major U.S. cities, and point-and-click distance controls. It's also a lot of fun to just let the image float and act like I'm a TV commentator saying, "And we're flying high above the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, thanks to the Goodyear blimp, 'The Spirit of Akron!'" Here are a few screenshots I've captured that pertain to, of course, race tracks.

This image is an overhead shot of the Sachsenring in Germany.

Meanwhile, this image shows the closing section of the circuit, zoomed in and tilted to demonstrate the elevation capabilities. If you've watched MotoGP, you know of the dramatic nature of the track.

Here is a capture of my full desktop screen to show the program template, plus an example of the distance tool at Portland International Raceway. As you can find out, the tool is pretty accurate.

Finally, this image shows the site of the Long Beach Grand Prix in 3-D, with building models turned on. Do not, I repeat, do not turn on the building models in New York City unless you want your system to crash.

As you can see, I bet a few of you guys would find some interest in this little download. Let me tell you that you need to have an Internet connection to use the program, and it can be a bit of a performance breaker. But if you're a geek like me, you'll love it. Oh yeah, and you can download it at http://earth.google.com.
Old 12 Jul 2005, 09:42 (Ref:1353357)   #2
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes, I have seen mention of this on another forum, looks quite good though I haven't yet been bothered to download it.
Old 12 Jul 2005, 12:09 (Ref:1353446)   #3
f1freak
Racer

Australia
Sydney
f1freak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I haven't heard of that... cheers...

However, I have been using (A LOT lately) http://maps.google.com

Its just a map of the world (just USA and UK for now though (DANG)), and you can view the proper Satelite Image of it... I think its simplier (spelling?) then your one...

Already made a few little maps... have a look at these threads...

Aerial shots of Adelaide, Canberra and Surfers...

Amaroo Park... now!!!

So yea...
Old 12 Jul 2005, 13:58 (Ref:1353546)   #4
Lustigson
Veteran

Netherlands
Huizen
Lustigson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Freak, maps.google.com is not just the USA and the UK. If you search for any other country or city, just don't select the Map view, but the Satellite view.
Old 12 Jul 2005, 14:05 (Ref:1353550)   #5
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I noticed a lot of the aerial shots on Google Maps are distorted though, not very good. Plus some of them are at a horrible resolution.
Old 12 Jul 2005, 17:00 (Ref:1353707)   #6
Chaynes321
Veteran

England
London
Chaynes321 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
i downloaded it today and OMG its fantastic !!!

silverstone :

Old 12 Jul 2005, 20:03 (Ref:1354037)   #7
Lustigson
Veteran

Netherlands
Huizen
Apparently I live here...

Old 12 Jul 2005, 21:02 (Ref:1354103)   #8
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Won't let me play...
Old 12 Jul 2005, 22:04 (Ref:1354170)   #9
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirenzo
I noticed a lot of the aerial shots on Google Maps are distorted though, not very good. Plus some of them are at a horrible resolution.
I think the distortion is due to the fact that Google Maps appear to use a plate carrée projection, which pushes the latitudes closer together as it gets closer to the poles. Since Gooogle Earth is 3-D, the problem isn't as visible.
Old 12 Jul 2005, 22:07 (Ref:1354172)   #10
Chaynes321
Veteran

England
London
its wicked !
Old 12 Jul 2005, 23:38 (Ref:1354233)   #11
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This looks cool, Im downloading now, maybe this should be moved to Parc Ferme because its something many others might be interested in
Old 13 Jul 2005, 21:17 (Ref:1354993)   #12
mandretti39
Veteran

Lithuania
Clay, NY USA
mandretti39 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmandretti39 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here are a couple of tracks I was able to find with Google Earth. First is Imola, which you guys could use for editing purposes, I guess. It gets a little blurry around Tosa and Rivazza, I think it has to do with the photos of the area. The next is the current Denver street circuit. I drew in the track with black, and added an extension, which I think would make the track more interesting, in green. Any thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Imola.jpg   Denver.jpg  
Old 14 Jul 2005, 01:25 (Ref:1355128)   #13
Flaming_Wuzzle
Racer

United States
a house
Flaming_Wuzzle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've been playing around with this a bit since downloading it last night. Here's a couple tracks I've found, including the old Monjuich Park track in Barcelona.

Edmonton Champ Car track

Montjuich Park
Old 14 Jul 2005, 18:57 (Ref:1355624)   #14
Lustigson
Veteran

Netherlands
Huizen
Old 14 Jul 2005, 21:50 (Ref:1355801)   #15
Chaynes321
Veteran

England
London
i tired to get le mans but its too fuzzy
Old 15 Jul 2005, 12:18 (Ref:1356176)   #16
Chaynes321
Veteran

England
London
Catalunya :

Old 15 Jul 2005, 12:48 (Ref:1356197)   #17
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Valencia is quite detailed too
Old 15 Jul 2005, 19:56 (Ref:1356493)   #18
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
Autodromo Oscar Galvez, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Old 16 Jul 2005, 16:20 (Ref:1356863)   #19
Jam35
Rookie

Wales
Caerdydd
Jam35 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish_Flake
Autodromo Oscar Galvez, Buenos Aires, Argentina
What *have* they done to Horquilla?
Old 16 Jul 2005, 18:12 (Ref:1356892)   #20
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What do you mean mate ??
i dont see any changes since the f1 visisted there.
Old 16 Jul 2005, 18:49 (Ref:1356924)   #21
Jam35
Rookie

Wales
Caerdydd
It looks like the long version (that used by circuits 1, 2, 3, 4 etc) has been totally obliterated.
Old 16 Jul 2005, 20:19 (Ref:1356970)   #22
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
The "long" version you speak of is the extended hairpin from the 1950s, which I believe has long been omitted from most of the circuit plans. To most of us, the long version of Buenos Aires is the loop around the lake at the far end that was used in the 70s F1 circuit, which fortunately remains intact, and apparently with plenty of room for enhancement.
Old 17 Jul 2005, 01:36 (Ref:1357055)   #23
Jam35
Rookie

Wales
Caerdydd
The change looks more recent than that. The long version of Horquilla appears on racingcircuits.net as a current variant. Furthermore, if you look at a detailed aerial view of the area, the former layout is still obvious amidst some mickey mouse kart track (which looks decidedly late 1990s to me).

If I were to be totally pedantic, the 1950s version of the track didn't have a hairpin at Horquilla at all - it exited the autodrome at that point and went for a run round some streets!
Old 17 Jul 2005, 02:51 (Ref:1357070)   #24
mandretti39
Veteran

Lithuania
Clay, NY USA
mandretti39 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmandretti39 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was unable to get pics for this, due to the fact that the extension the pics had (.kmz), are unrecognizable by Paint and this website, but for those of you with Google Earth look for the Belle Isle Park track in Detroit, MI. I have posted a map of the track and circled a corner in black, and the preceeding straight in red. Look for the turn marked on my map ( you've found it when you see curbing along a straight road), notice that the preceeding straight (the one I marked appears to be bulldozed over and grass has been allowed to grow (the strip of grass will be a lighter green). Also notice that pit road is still intact. I'm not really sure what this means. I don't know when that photo was taken (before, during, or after the piece of track was used). What's your take on this? Hmm...?
Attached Thumbnails
BelleIslePark.gif  
Old 17 Jul 2005, 10:34 (Ref:1357161)   #25
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
I wish the UK was more detailed. Brands Hatch is naff, so is Thruxton, Oulton, Castle Combe, Croft, Knockhill, Snetterton, Mallory

The only semi detailed ones are Silverstone and Donington