Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 17 May 2006, 09:34 (Ref:1612396)   #1
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Creative or desperate?

I'm not quite sure what to make of this............?

Selling advertising space on a car which has been granted entry to Le Mans is easy, isn't it? That's what I've been led to believe anyway. So how is it that Creation find themselves with advertising space available on both sides of the car which remains unsold just one month before the race?

We know that Creation's annual budget is a fraction of that enjoyed by most of the frontrunning teams. Every penny has to be spent wisely and compromises always need to be made. But with one car funded by pay drivers and the second car yet to see the light of day (and if it ever does it will probably only compete in three races before becoming obsolete in Europe), I'm worried.

When the driver line-up for Le Mans is finally announced I expect to see the names Minassian, Ortiz and Gabbiani. Not a combination to whet the appetites of potential sponsors, especially given the disasterous start they have had in the LMS.

This time last year we were anticipating Creation's debut at Le Mans full of hope, expectation and excitement. Minassian, Campbell-Walter and Wallace would mix it with the 'big boys'. The many, many fans of the Team dreaming of victory!

One year on and oh dear, things are looking desperate (unless anyone can convince me otherwise!)..............
Old 17 May 2006, 10:17 (Ref:1612423)   #2
canam
Veteran

canam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nah.

Creation have always been a quirky team while being professional and commited at the same time.

I bet they are just having a bit of fun--they have always been very fan orientated and this puts them a bit closer. (Lammers and his footballs??). In reality, they are simply selling VIP passes with team contact.

The start to the LMS season has been a disaster yet it has been the only car to have shown the pace of the Pesca.

The lack of a second entry at LM probably pushed their all-pro car hopes aside for LM but I'll be willing to bet that the second car will be out at the Ring.

My vote: Creative (but only just). It could be risky as well.
Old 17 May 2006, 11:43 (Ref:1612490)   #3
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
JCW will probably appear to race at lemans with creation he has to, also i think that andy wallace is now going to do lemans with the RML lola LMP2 now for some reason but creation have got the car to win lemans with, at paul ricard it showed that the pescarolo's speed advantage had gone but i think zytek motorsport need to get hayanari shimoda back and also if he can do well at lemans tom chilton, tom would rather miss a race with VXR racing to do lemans but i wouldnt think he would do well at lemans due to a lack of experience but he showed blistering pace with zytek in 2005
Old 17 May 2006, 14:04 (Ref:1612608)   #4
SilkShirt
Rookie

SilkShirt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree, Minassian, Ortiz and Gabbiani, while quick in their own right, are not the kind of crew that you can visualise on the podium, are they? Not in LMP1, anyway.

I think you should not underestimate the massive difference (and that means massive amount of work) between 2005 and now, though. Creation has created () a new chassis for the new regulations this year, last year they had a chassis they knew, but the engine package was different. There's lots of other, better-looking packages in LMP1 now, especially with Courage, Lola and the works Zytek looking very handy.

Canam rings a bell - Creation this year is a bit like RfH, although I have to say I fancy Lammers/Johannson/Yoong for a finish a bit more than Creation, sad to say.

Shame, cos the documentary on Channel four earlier this year gave a good insight into the team (not sure I would call them quirky though) and after last year's disappointment, the team deserves a better shot this year.
SS
Old 17 May 2006, 14:49 (Ref:1612638)   #5
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
My feelings on this initially matched a lot of others on the board, wondering what on earth Creation were up to. That said, the more I think about it, the more I think canam's got it exactly right. It's an auction for nice VIP package with a reasonably competitive team.

It all depends on whether you see sportscar sponsorship as being a display advertising proposition (i.e. I'll buy Gran Turismo 4 because it's written on the side of a Pescarolo) or a corporate hospitality opportunity (I'll buy something phenomenally expensive from whatever company because they took me to Le Mans, showed me a great time, and I got to meet Nicolas Minassian). Thinking about some of the companies that sponsor sportscars I suspect the latter model is, if anything, more prevalent. After all, I can't see many of us wandering out and buying too many products from the likes of QinetiQ, ESA, Dassault Systemes, or Deutsche Bank in the course of the average day!

In that light what Creation are doing makes for quite a decent value proposition and by being innovative and running it through eBay probably means (a) they get a bit more attention and (b) it saves a bit of time for their ad sales team working the phones.

Good luck to them in any case - although bidding's already a touch high to justify a comedy punt on my part (although I wouldn't rule out a €100 football on the RfH car!).
Old 17 May 2006, 15:39 (Ref:1612671)   #6
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
'The winning bidder will get advertising space on both sides of the Creation LMP1 plus 2 General Entry and Paddock tickets and will be VIP guests at the Creation hospitality. The winner will also receive a guided tour of the team pit and will dine with the drivers, and further Media attention will be arranged.'

I'm guessing they could fit many, many sponsors on the sides of the cars.

You can never have enough sponsorship.
Old 17 May 2006, 19:59 (Ref:1612908)   #7
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well I guess it makes a change from the dozens of touts who are selling their tickets on eBay right now. Can we please spread the word that you do not need to buy general entry tickets in advance, all you're doing is lining these people's pockets.....? I even tried to email a poor sod bidding on a pair of enceintes generales to warn him, but would you believe it - eBay's systems rejected my email as I was approaching a bidder outside of an auction.....

Then there's the guy selling grandstand seats which have become unexpectedly available - yeh right, 20 grandstand seats "unexpectedly available"..... I've only once bought multiple tickets from the ACO when I bought my 6 on my membership card about 5-6 years ago. Does the ACO not limit the numbers any one individual can purchase?

Sorry to hijack the Creation thread - good on them is what I say - I can't see any reason at all why they shouldn't auction their advertising space - I'd certainly like the hospitality bit, that's for sure!
Old 18 May 2006, 08:13 (Ref:1613212)   #8
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by isynge
It's an auction for nice VIP package with a reasonably competitive team.
This was actually my first reaction a couple of weeks ago when I first read about it. I only changed my mind once the auction had started and I began to think more about it, especially Creation's decision to go to Le Mans with Nic and two pay drivers instead of Nic and two pro's (although I'm sure Le Mans was part of the deal with Beppe and Felipe and Creation's hands are tied). But you're right, I'm probably trying to read more into this than I should instead of taking it at face value.
Old 19 May 2006, 19:23 (Ref:1614412)   #9
Dagobert II
Rookie

Netherlands
Hengelo (O), NL
Dagobert II should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by isynge
It all depends on whether you see sportscar sponsorship as being a display advertising proposition (i.e. I'll buy Gran Turismo 4 because it's written on the side of a Pescarolo) or a corporate hospitality opportunity (I'll buy something phenomenally expensive from whatever company because they took me to Le Mans, showed me a great time, and I got to meet Nicolas Minassian). Thinking about some of the companies that sponsor sportscars I suspect the latter model is, if anything, more prevalent. After all, I can't see many of us wandering out and buying too many products from the likes of QinetiQ, ESA, Dassault Systemes, or Deutsche Bank in the course of the average day!
Good point, isynge.
But I think for a team it doesn't matter wich name the car carries as long as the money runs in to survive.
The checkered older RfH Domes and this years football Dome are designed to give less funded sponsors a chance to participate. Bringing in together the same amount of money as just one big spender.
And a race like Le Mans 24 hours doesn't generate as many spectators (I mean also by tv-coverage) that a large company would like to see. And it's thirth part in the dark!
Even the Joest Audi team hasn't a huge sponsorship, except Audi itself.
Old 21 May 2006, 09:26 (Ref:1615429)   #10
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i would say creation are probably desperate, they arent as fortunate i dont think to have as big a budget as pescarolo or audi and this isnt helping them with the situation of getting sponsorship but the biggest sponsor in past years in sportscars has probably been the pescarolo and oreca audi R8's with playstation and gran turismo 4 branding, really that is a brand everyone recognises or most people do but it will be interesting to see how creation fair with this sponsor so good luck to em because i think they may need it
Old 21 May 2006, 11:54 (Ref:1615515)   #11
canam
Veteran

canam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I suppose everyone can do with a bit more cash in the bank. They also will get publicity via the hits on ebay.

Last year they ran a competition with Octane magazine--presumably for publicity. The winner got a similar package to what was is up for sale on ebay right now.

At three and half thousand bucks right now with several days to go, its not doing too bad. It probably would do better if it were listed under a different category.
Old 21 May 2006, 12:26 (Ref:1615533)   #12
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by canam

At three and half thousand bucks right now with several days to go, its not doing too bad. It probably would do better if it were listed under a different category.
I'm only surprised that they haven't put at least 2-3 opportunities up for grabs....
Old 22 May 2006, 12:03 (Ref:1616218)   #13
Fieldgate
Racer

Fieldgate should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Creation's historic-money-bags is "less involved" with the team, which makes it harder unfortunately.
Old 22 May 2006, 13:03 (Ref:1616272)   #14
canam
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fieldgate
Creation's historic-money-bags is "less involved" with the team, which makes it harder unfortunately.
If so, they must be doing pretty well. They developed a hybrid (must have cost half a million bucks) and bought a second car (another half a million bucks).

While you may be right, is definitely doesn't sit with the 'desperate' theory on this thread.
Old 22 May 2006, 13:16 (Ref:1616286)   #15
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi
Well I guess it makes a change from the dozens of touts who are selling their tickets on eBay right now. Can we please spread the word that you do not need to buy general entry tickets in advance, all you're doing is lining these people's pockets.....? I even tried to email a poor sod bidding on a pair of enceintes generales to warn him, but would you believe it - eBay's systems rejected my email as I was approaching a bidder outside of an auction.....

Then there's the guy selling grandstand seats which have become unexpectedly available - yeh right, 20 grandstand seats "unexpectedly available"..... I've only once bought multiple tickets from the ACO when I bought my 6 on my membership card about 5-6 years ago. Does the ACO not limit the numbers any one individual can purchase?

Sorry to hijack the Creation thread - good on them is what I say - I can't see any reason at all why they shouldn't auction their advertising space - I'd certainly like the hospitality bit, that's for sure!
Ive seen 2 general admission and camping (houx annex) on ebay for 385 quid !!!
Old 25 May 2006, 14:42 (Ref:1618708)   #16
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
The auction ends at 18:45 today (UK time).
Old 25 May 2006, 18:00 (Ref:1618827)   #17
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ended at $3,950.

Four Thousand Bucks is better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.
Old 25 May 2006, 21:15 (Ref:1619014)   #18
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger
Ive seen 2 general admission and camping (houx annex) on ebay for 385 quid !!!
I sent a guy offering a general entry ticket a note saying that he ought to offer it a t face value plus postage through Club Arnage or Tenths and he sent me a note back saying he'd never heard of either.......