Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 31 Jan 2020, 07:55 (Ref:3954675)   #2116
crmalcolm
Veteran

Ireland
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Todayís the day- or is it? As far as my reading of the present situation is concerned, nothing will change until the end of the year, while we (and the EU of course) enjoy a period of grace. So no IDPs, no extra customs docs and your EHIC is still valid for this season, at least!
Between 30th January and 2nd February, I think you are right - on the face of it nothing significant will change.
From experience, there will be big change ahead, but the uncertainty changed the day the announcements were made.

We experienced this in Cork a couple of summers ago, where we were attempting to open a bank account.
We already held accounts with the same banking firm in the UK, and Italy. At the time, everything within regulations permitted us to open an account, and we had all the necessary documentation.
The bank clerk advised that, in 2018: 'unfortunately, because of Brexit, I do not think it appropriate for me to open an account to a British Citizen. I don't know whether you'll be allowed to keep the account after Brexit happens so I do not want to take the risk now'
Old 31 Jan 2020, 07:57 (Ref:3954676)   #2117
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Mike, I think your last point is well made. Even over the past years I've always obtained a green card. An int driving licence is also easily got.

I do understand the concerns regarding border controls but with this grace period one hopes the organisations will get on top of them.

I feel quite excited because I'm sure this whole thing will bring new opportunities and let's look at it holistically. These days whilst europe is still somewhere to race, transport improvements mean even New Zealand is not beyond the bounds of possibility.

And of course those with experience of sending cars to those locations will also know what's needed to cross into europe.

Let's also not forget the proposed Freeport which if placed correctly will re energise places like Grimsby, Newcastle, Glasgow and Hull.

Also the possibility of re opening the fishing industry and returning to use, some of the railway lines (Fleetwood was in the news this week), will be unfettered by the EU rules of government support.

So it's not just about our sport but this year could be quite exciting.

CRM. The bank was talking complete bullocks. I've opened bank accounts all over the world. They just need to take cognisance of tax and transfer costs. Since the account would be in Euros any transfer would be subject to exchange rates into Sterling and possibly any taxation. I've had accounts in Netherlands, Italy etc. Also Middle East and Far East. Why would Brexit be a hindrance?

Last edited by Peter Mallett; 31 Jan 2020 at 08:08.
Old 31 Jan 2020, 08:23 (Ref:3954685)   #2118
midgetman
Veteran

England
Rural Wiltshire
midgetman is going for a new world record!midgetman is going for a new world record!midgetman is going for a new world record!midgetman is going for a new world record!midgetman is going for a new world record!midgetman is going for a new world record!midgetman is going for a new world record!
Why would Brexit be a problem? Because people want it to be.

Brace yourselves for price rises "because of Brexit." The same thing happened over decimalisation, it was used as an excuse for racketeering.

I feel more confident now than a year ago. The Blessed Theresa didn't really want it, and we were (deliberately?) woefully prepared. I believe now we will be fine.

FWIW I'm as foreign as I've been for years this weekend. Racing in Lincolnshire.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 31 Jan 2020, 08:33 (Ref:3954686)   #2119
crmalcolm
Veteran

Ireland
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
CRM. The bank was talking complete bullocks. I've opened bank accounts all over the world. They just need to take cognisance of tax and transfer costs. Since the account would be in Euros any transfer would be subject to exchange rates into Sterling and possibly any taxation. I've had accounts in Netherlands, Italy etc. Also Middle East and Far East. Why would Brexit be a hindrance?
Exactly. I got the feeling that the reluctance to open an account was more based on the fact that the clerk would actually have to do some work in what was an otherwise empty branch on a midweek afternoon.
'Because of Brexit' was an easy line to trot out, and it was obvious when challenged that he was just making up excuses on the spot.
Old 31 Jan 2020, 08:50 (Ref:3954691)   #2120
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
One if my credit card providers had to pull the plug over a year back as the card was backed by an Irish bank. The suggestion was that our EU withdrawal was the reason....
Old 31 Jan 2020, 09:03 (Ref:3954694)   #2121
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And yet we were still in the EU.
In the current circumstances, we need to do all we can to help local businesses. With this in mind I suggest we all schedule our visits to the pub so we can keep the 2m social distancing and whilst there get completely slamied for two hours before handing over to the next shift.

It probably won't stop the virus but nobody would care.
Old 31 Jan 2020, 09:12 (Ref:3954698)   #2122
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
One if my credit card providers had to pull the plug over a year back as the card was backed by an Irish bank. The suggestion was that our EU withdrawal was the reason....
I used to have a credit card with Citibank Europe, taken out before I moved to France. I didn't use it very often but when I moved to France I advised them of my new address etc & they duly continued to send me statements.

Eventually, one day I tried to use it to pay a hotel bill in Germany & it was refused. Luckily I had other means of payment. Upon returning home I had a letter from them stating that they were unable to service overseas addresses so would be terminating the account - this despite being called Citibank Europe.

I duly cleared the outstanding account & thought that was that, until I received another letter from them, signed by the same person, stating how sorry they were to see I had chosen to close my account and would I like to re-consider?

I didn't bother...
Old 31 Jan 2020, 09:40 (Ref:3954705)   #2123
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
And yet we were still in the EU.
Yes but we were due to leave!
Old 31 Jan 2020, 10:32 (Ref:3954727)   #2124
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Yup. And that should make no difference. If one can transfer an HSBC account from Dubai to the UK then surely within geographic europe should be no problem.
Old 31 Jan 2020, 11:25 (Ref:3954738)   #2125
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Yup. And that should make no difference. If one can transfer an HSBC account from Dubai to the UK then surely within geographic europe should be no problem.
I can only tell you the reason I was given, Peter. Sorry if itís not correct!
Old 31 Jan 2020, 11:37 (Ref:3954742)   #2126
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I'm agreeing with your position Mike. I just don't see the logic despite Brexit. Hey ho.
Old 31 Jan 2020, 11:38 (Ref:3954743)   #2127
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is a big difference in the quality of expertise and service between the banks. I've had a lot of experience with most banks, including overseas banks, over the years and even within the better banks expertise and service has declined to a woeful degree. Many years ago when I was learning the accountancy trade it was drummed in to us by the firms partners that when auditing companies books and accounts the one thing that could be taken as gospel was that the banks records were always right and if there were discrepancies between company and bank records then the bank was always right. In these days of banks protecting their obscene bonuses they employ (relatively) low paid staff with poor training and practices. Despite the oversight of the financial services regulators (or whatever they are now called) banks are left to do almost what they like and the shareholders and customers do not have the safety net of truly independent non executive directors to keep the executive directors in line. If you look at the CVs of the non exec directors they are mostly an old boys/girls club of the same batch of folks doing the rounds of the non exec posts in each others companies. Those non exec directors of the failed banks of not so long ago should have been banned from being directors and sued for their negligence.
Old 31 Jan 2020, 11:47 (Ref:3954749)   #2128
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!
It's true, some banks are better than others. It's good to keep in contact with your bank and having myself changed banks once, it's important to choose the right one for you. Certainly this uncertain can't have helped the way banks operate. Of course some banks can be a stickler to their records, which doesn't help when dealing with them. I just hope things improve for those workers who don't get much. It doesn't help the bank's reputation when things like that happen. Of course the execs are usually bought from other companies where they have the experience of big business. Of course if there was any justice in the world those at the top who ruined banks would be at the very least blacklisted for future employment. Harsh perhaps, but then why should banks be different from other big companies?
Old 31 Jan 2020, 12:18 (Ref:3954760)   #2129
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I still get a few small company dividend cheques during a year. Some are ridiculously tiny so I just keep them until I have enough to make it worth going to a bank to pay them in.

Company dividend cheques are valid for 12 months rather than 6.

So about a year or so back I went to pay in about 4 cheques, on of which, for a few pence was about 9 months old.

The girl on the counter rejected it based on age. I thought she was wrong to do so but for a few pence was not bothered to discuss it at that time as there was a long queue building up. Later I took a better look and of course the Valid for 12 months is printed on the cheque in small print.

Fortuitously some more cheques appeared a few weeks later and I was heading to the area to do some shopping so popped in, re-presented and all was well.

Different person of course. Visiting the remains of the branch now far less than used to be the case the staff seem to be different each time. The long term regulars are gone.

Many of the more experienced staff are now at a point where they are just awaiting their redundancy offers. Those that are nearing retirement age are especially keen to to get a significant payoff shortly before what would have been their retirement anyway. If they are in Branch banking (but not working the cashier desks) they are likely to be lucky.

Don't expect the human service to improve. The machines, however, do seem pretty good, especially the automated cheque and pay-in slip reading stuff.

Until they break.
Old 31 Jan 2020, 13:07 (Ref:3954779)   #2130
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
I’m not even going to try to fathom out what post #2128 is about.

Peter, I’ve just been digging and it appears that retrospectively the parties involved denied that the credit card withdrawal I mentioned was brexit related! Just coincidence it was the day before we were supposed to leave the EU....