Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Do you want Saturday Sprint Races?
Yes, I want Saturday Sprint Races 23 36.51%
No, I don't want Saturday Sprint Races 40 63.49%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12 Sep 2021, 12:13 (Ref:4073238)   #126
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/b...oying/6665424/

More rule stupidity.
When you are a winner but you're not a winner....
Bottas gets fastest lap in Q3. Pole for the sprint race.
Wins the sprint race.
Loses pole for the 'Grand Prix' because he had an engine change before qualifying Friday evening.
So the winner of the qualifying sprint race gets three points. Bottas gets three.
So the winner of the qualifying sprint race gets a medal. Bottas gets a medal 1st.
So the winner of the qualifying sprint race is recognized as the winner of the pole.
Verstappen.
Why? Because the person who gets pole is the winner of the sprint race....

But hold on. He is reported to have got the three points? He got the medal? He finished first? Yes.
Ok so he got sent to the back of the grid not because he was cheating but because
of the regulatory fourth engine change. But he still won the race, got the points, and the medal.
But he's not regarded as the winner of the pole when he obviously was the winner of the pole.
Even if a technical rule relegated him to start from the back in the 'Grand Prix'.
WTF is wrong with this 'sport'.
Is it so woke in its denial of reality that it still tries to sell itself as the ultimate in motor sporting prowess yet is completely out of touch with its own reality?
Why don't they just recognize the winner of the qualifying race as the pole winner EVEN if he has to start at the back of the grid.
This is a complete joke and its why the qualifying 'race' isn't a qualifying race....
It’s a technicality. Who won the competitive element designed to set the grid (Bottas), who will start on pole (Verstappen). So it is perfectly true to say Verstappen has pole.

I’m not struggling with this as some great logical impasse!

I think the record should reflect who was quickest in qualifying and there should be another new list of who won these sprint races, which I wouldn’t have if I could chose.

Not overly worked up about this though.

Quote:
Is F1 'Grand Prix' motor racing?
Or is it motorsport governed by Grand Pricks....
Let’s make sure we give context a little. The what they call pole is not really an issue. They could call it a badger if the sport was good.

Quote:
Perez says its boring.....
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/p...thing/6665367/
This link you posted is more what the issue is. As well as if it is what Grand Prix is about.
Old 12 Sep 2021, 14:59 (Ref:4073351)   #127
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
The sprint race is a curse! At both GPs we’ve used them Max and Lewis end up coming together in the main race!
Old 13 Sep 2021, 03:56 (Ref:4073531)   #128
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I like the sprints and if the predictions of the 2022 cars being able to follow closer come true I think they will be even better at putting the racers closer to the front.
Old 13 Sep 2021, 04:48 (Ref:4073536)   #129
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
I liked Alonso's idea of bringing back one shot qualy
Old 13 Sep 2021, 14:45 (Ref:4073649)   #130
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skam85 View Post
indeed. its an interesting idea and one i enjoyed when they tried it before. it was a way to fill the entire hour with on track action.

i think Monza highlighted an issue with Q1 and too many cars on track at the same time...so why not have different formats for different venues as need dictate? rather why cant the quali session be tailored to the limitations or opportunities of the track?

personally i liked the sprint race. if this was a traditionally quail event, Max and Lewis would have both opted for the same tire strategy, started on the same tire, and the race would have been more straight forward.

not that this is a bad thing of course but the different tire strategies (including everyone getting a free choice of tire to start with) led to a very interesting first stint imo.

would things have gotten more exciting had the accident not happened? hard to say but all signs were pointing toward the answer being yes.

anyways, i have seen enough to say that i think there is potential with the idea and would like to see it tried out again. at the least would like to see it next year at Silverstone (and Monza if its back again) as a way to better compare it to this years attempts.
Old 13 Sep 2021, 14:46 (Ref:4073650)   #131
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
also would have liked to see a poll option for 'need to see more before deciding'.

no need for everything to be so binary.
Old 13 Sep 2021, 14:52 (Ref:4073652)   #132
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think the current qualifying format is good as it. There's been many a qualifying session I've watched on a Saturday afternoon that's been far more entertaining than the actual race on Sunday.
Old 13 Sep 2021, 15:00 (Ref:4073658)   #133
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I think the current qualifying format is good as it. There's been many a qualifying session I've watched on a Saturday afternoon that's been far more entertaining than the actual race on Sunday.
sure and there have been plenty that were less entertaining.

anyways, we saw what the current quali format at Monza would look like on friday...its was a mess!
Old 13 Sep 2021, 15:26 (Ref:4073665)   #134
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
sure and there have been plenty that were less entertaining.

anyways, we saw what the current quali format at Monza would look like on friday...its was a mess!

Indeed there have but I would prefer that to what transpired this weekend.
Old 13 Sep 2021, 18:06 (Ref:4073695)   #135
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Quote:
Indeed there have but I would prefer that to what transpired this weekend.
im a bit afraid to ask for fear of derailing this thread but what transpired this weekend...other then the accident and/or Mclaren winning?

i suspect we are all very happy about Mclaren winning so are you suggesting the sprint race led to the accident?
Old 13 Sep 2021, 18:25 (Ref:4073700)   #136
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
im a bit afraid to ask for fear of derailing this thread but what transpired this weekend...other then the accident and/or Mclaren winning?

i suspect we are all very happy about Mclaren winning so are you suggesting the sprint race led to the accident?

I used transpired in the context of qualifying regarding the sprint race, as opposed to the normal qualifying format.

Of course the sprint race didn't lead to the accident. That's a strange thing to come up with.
Old 13 Sep 2021, 18:36 (Ref:4073703)   #137
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Quote:
I used transpired in the context of qualifying regarding the sprint race, as opposed to the normal qualifying format.

Of course the sprint race didn't lead to the accident. That's a strange thing to come up with.
indeed a very strange thing to suggest but it was mentioned earlier in this thread and wasnt sure if you were making a similar point.

apologies.
Old 13 Sep 2021, 18:40 (Ref:4073704)   #138
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
indeed a very strange thing to suggest but it was mentioned earlier in this thread and wasnt sure if you were making a similar point.

apologies.

That's ok, no need for apologies.
Old 13 Sep 2021, 21:33 (Ref:4073720)   #139
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skam85 View Post
I’m the opposite.The 1 car on the track at a time is pretty boring and was tried with different variations in 2003 to 2005 and didn’t work.
As you know here in Australia it is a regular Supercar thing and except for Bathurst where the tradition factor and the stand alone prestige of pole make it a big deal it’s only purpose seems to be to fill tv time.Very flat if you’re at the circuit.
The current F1 system is the best and most exciting qualifying system I have seen.Nothing is perfect.
Old 13 Sep 2021, 22:44 (Ref:4073725)   #140
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Biding my time in Vandemonia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
maybe vb should have served his engine penalty on the sprint
Old 13 Sep 2021, 23:11 (Ref:4073727)   #141
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bathurst77 View Post
maybe vb should have served his engine penalty on the sprint
I don't think you can, but that was a part of my post on the subject. If they are going to be a regular thing with points awarded, then you should be able to.
Old 13 Sep 2021, 23:24 (Ref:4073729)   #142
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
I don't think you can, but that was a part of my post on the subject. If they are going to be a regular thing with points awarded, then you should be able to.
Good point. If VB had started from the rear of the Sprint, he could have gone hard, ripped up a set of tyres and in that number of laps, most likely got himself up somewhere in the range of P8-P12 - which would have given him (and us) the opportunity for him to be a genuine contender for more of the Grand Prix on Sunday.

We may get more anomalies such as this one through the course of trialling Sprints this year - if Sprints are going to stay, the anomalies can be dealt with in the rules from 2022 onwards.
Old 14 Sep 2021, 01:12 (Ref:4073742)   #143
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
If you can take it on a sprint weekend for the sprint it is arguably less of a penalty.
Old 14 Sep 2021, 02:01 (Ref:4073752)   #144
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
If you can take it on a sprint weekend for the sprint it is arguably less of a penalty.
Is that a bad thing?
What is the point of engine penalties?
Only to discourage people from having to spend 20 billion on having a hundred engines a year on the line.....?
Because you have limit on it do you have to penalize people who break the rule.

Never did that when we had 1.5 turbo's or DFV's or Coventry Climax V8's.

And if we look at it as effectively being a 400km race in two parts with the sprint result dictating the grid for the final part its all a part of the main event.
Old 14 Sep 2021, 15:12 (Ref:4073862)   #145
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
The thing is the teams will always have plenty of backups just in case, so does it really save money? Maybe the lesser teams save a bit of money by not having infinite amounts of money, but that’s about it. Teams will spend money in other areas. And arguably having a limit on engine costs more, as you have to spend a lot to make sure reliability is bulletproof
Old 15 Sep 2021, 04:09 (Ref:4073992)   #146
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I have to say, I really like the sprint race. I love qually too, but I find more racing to watch is a good thing. F1 Sprint reminds me of heats in karting which lead to the final.

So I've finally voted 'yes'.
Old 31 Oct 2021, 16:06 (Ref:4080822)   #147
BTCC frog
Veteran

BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!
I've seen a suggestion for the sprint races which is the first thing that I have been in favour of related to them:
Friday qualifying, sets grid for Saturday sprint and Sunday Grand Prix. Saturday sprint has it's own points system and is completely separate to the main championship. At the end of the year, the main champion is crowned, and there is also a sprint champion. This way, those who don't like the sprints are happy because they can totally ignore them if they like as they affect the actual championship in no way, and those who do like the sprints are happy because the sprint race is still there, but is part of its own championship. In fact, if this was introduced, I wouldn't even be opposed to the sprints being reversed grids, because the main championship would still be the pure, pinnacle of motorsport Formula 1, and the sprint championship would be like a totally different series which can be as gimmicky as it likes if it is not affecting the main championship.
Domenicali, make it happen!
Old 31 Oct 2021, 17:24 (Ref:4080827)   #148
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCC frog View Post
I've seen a suggestion for the sprint races which is the first thing that I have been in favour of related to them:
Friday qualifying, sets grid for Saturday sprint and Sunday Grand Prix. Saturday sprint has it's own points system and is completely separate to the main championship. At the end of the year, the main champion is crowned, and there is also a sprint champion. This way, those who don't like the sprints are happy because they can totally ignore them if they like as they affect the actual championship in no way, and those who do like the sprints are happy because the sprint race is still there, but is part of its own championship. In fact, if this was introduced, I wouldn't even be opposed to the sprints being reversed grids, because the main championship would still be the pure, pinnacle of motorsport Formula 1, and the sprint championship would be like a totally different series which can be as gimmicky as it likes if it is not affecting the main championship.
Domenicali, make it happen!
Not sure how that would work, unless there is an obligation to compete in the sprint championship. What would stop a team taking the grid for a sprint and then immediately parking the car at the end of lap one to preserve power unit, gearbox mileage, possibly tyre allocation etc.

There has to be something in the sprint that carries forward into the main race to prevent this.
Old 31 Oct 2021, 18:12 (Ref:4080833)   #149
BTCC frog
Veteran

BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
Not sure how that would work, unless there is an obligation to compete in the sprint championship. What would stop a team taking the grid for a sprint and then immediately parking the car at the end of lap one to preserve power unit, gearbox mileage, possibly tyre allocation etc.

There has to be something in the sprint that carries forward into the main race to prevent this.
Extra prize money for the sprint championship?
Old 31 Oct 2021, 19:27 (Ref:4080839)   #150
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
An F1 race needs to be longer to work, due to the difficulty in overtaking in many tracks. I think sprint races will not work most of the time.

My idea - Stick some young up and coming drivers into the cars and let them run in a few sprint races. Give the teams specific engines or similiar so that it does not affect the main drivers championship. Treat it as a way of teams testing young drivers or something, a "B" league if you like.

That solves the lack of testing oppertunities for younger drivers and gives more of them an oppertunity to make a name for themselves.