Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 11 Sep 2021, 07:30 (Ref:4073038)   #26
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
This qualifying malarkey now setting the grid for a Sprint race for me makes it quite an anti-climatic session. Its just seems superfluous to me. Its just not right. I dont really know why I stayed up to 3:30am to watch it tbh. I wont next time. Ill just skip it and get some sleep. I cant believe I am the only one who thinks that way....
You aren't the only one who thinks this way.
Id agree with you and I did no stay up to watch it in the early hours of Saturday morning. Nor will I get up to watch the qualifying race.
as far as the points are concerned Id prefer the winner of qualifying got 1 point or 3, 2, 1, points if you award the points for qualifying, and the qualifying race winner gets 1 point.

Do I think the whole thing is a joke?
Yes.
Old 11 Sep 2021, 10:10 (Ref:4073057)   #27
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Gonna be so farcical later on when Bottas has to let Hamilton win for the championship points, infact its really, really awful that Bottas was the fastest in the "qualifying" session but it means nothing because whatever happens this afternoon hes starting last.
Old 11 Sep 2021, 11:23 (Ref:4073062)   #28
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Nasty frontal crash for Sainz in FP2. Ferrari tell Masi that he's been checked but will be checked again in an hour.

His head went a long way forward
Old 11 Sep 2021, 11:34 (Ref:4073066)   #29
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tux View Post
Gonna be so farcical later on when Bottas has to let Hamilton win for the championship points, infact its really, really awful that Bottas was the fastest in the "qualifying" session but it means nothing because whatever happens this afternoon hes starting last.

Yeah, the rulemakers didn’t think of this when they came up with sprint racing. This is the 2nd biggest farce this season, after the Spa non race
Old 11 Sep 2021, 11:51 (Ref:4073068)   #30
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The only reason they "came up" with the sprint format was because of the constant moaning from a loud sector of the fanbase that they were leaving F1 because it was boring, because "the young" want shorter races due to their alleged short attention span, etc etc. and sponsors/advertisers wanted their newer eyeballs on the content.

In large part they are the very same people now whinging that it's rubbish. That's farcical in itself.

You can please some of the people some of the time...

(Note: the biggest farce in all of this is the money)
Old 11 Sep 2021, 13:42 (Ref:4073080)   #31
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
agreed Greem.

just saw the Sainz crash.

he seems to be taking a beating these days.

when these are the risks, then not sure how any of this can be a farce.
Old 11 Sep 2021, 14:35 (Ref:4073086)   #32
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
A terrible start for Hamilton. Gasly goes off at Curva Grande and it's an FCY.
Old 11 Sep 2021, 14:42 (Ref:4073090)   #33
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Back to green flag and a good restart from Bottas.
Old 11 Sep 2021, 14:48 (Ref:4073091)   #34
marcel82
Veteran

European Union
Beersel, Belgium
marcel82 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did Brundle just say they don't brake into Para-Alboreto?

seems brave.
Old 11 Sep 2021, 15:04 (Ref:4073095)   #35
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I didn’t catch that, but they do brake into there.

Well that worked out well for Max.
Old 11 Sep 2021, 15:07 (Ref:4073096)   #36
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
So Max gets pole and is now 5 points clear of Hamilton. Great to see Danny Ric on the front row.

I just wonder if this was the right time for Bottas to take the grid penalty? Lewis has his work cut out for tomorrow.
Old 11 Sep 2021, 15:22 (Ref:4073097)   #37
Beau2
Racer

Beau2 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Well Mercedes/Hamilton just completely messed up any car advantage they had.
Old 11 Sep 2021, 16:11 (Ref:4073104)   #38
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau2 View Post
Well Mercedes/Hamilton just completely messed up any car advantage they had.
Both Hamilton and Mercedes are making too many mistakes to be considered serious contenders right now. It’s a genuinely tight and competitive title race and those are usually won by whoever messes up the least. That is by far Verstapoen and Red Bull at the moment. It’s actually making it easier for me to accept that my preferred driver and team are not going to win. They don’t deserve to.
Old 11 Sep 2021, 16:26 (Ref:4073107)   #39
BTCC frog
Veteran

BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I just wonder if this was the right time for Bottas to take the grid penalty? Lewis has his work cut out for tomorrow.
Totally agree with this. It seemed like a bad decision even before he took pole. Bottas usually finishes third in the races, but it seemed like at Monza he would be able to take second and take points away from Verstappen. It is also a difficult track to pass on, so it is not as though he will have a better chance than normal of fighting back. Perhaps they had no option but to do it now, but that seems unlikely to me.
Old 11 Sep 2021, 16:28 (Ref:4073108)   #40
BTCC frog
Veteran

BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post
Both Hamilton and Mercedes are making too many mistakes to be considered serious contenders right now. It’s a genuinely tight and competitive title race and those are usually won by whoever messes up the least. That is by far Verstapoen and Red Bull at the moment. It’s actually making it easier for me to accept that my preferred driver and team are not going to win. They don’t deserve to.
Definitely agree with this as well. Red Bull have generally had the faster car, Verstappen has been by far the better driver, and Mercedes have made more mistakes than Red Bull. It is mainly down to good luck that Hamilton is so close to Verstappen in the championship, and it is Max and Red Bull who deserve it most.
Old 11 Sep 2021, 17:01 (Ref:4073111)   #41
marcel82
Veteran

European Union
Beersel, Belgium
marcel82 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
So Max gets pole and is now 5 points clear of Hamilton. Great to see Danny Ric on the front row.

they had planned on him taking away points from Verstappen in sprint qualifying, and not being in the way of Hamilton in the race.

that plan didn't age well.
Old 11 Sep 2021, 17:10 (Ref:4073112)   #42
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
They had to do it at some point. Never going to be ideal. The decision was probably sound, but it didn’t work out.
Old 11 Sep 2021, 19:13 (Ref:4073132)   #43
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel82 View Post
they had planned on him taking away points from Verstappen in sprint qualifying, and not being in the way of Hamilton in the race.

that plan didn't age well.
It worked wonders.

He prevented Verstappen from taking 3 points and they made sure he won't be anywhere near Hamilton.

So, what exactly went wrong?
Old 11 Sep 2021, 19:15 (Ref:4073134)   #44
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Usually when Bottas makes a start like that and is left with a car that seems to really hate being in dirty air, we are reminded how rubbish he really is.
(Not only here, but also on Channel 4's coverage)

I am still waiting to find out how rubbish his teammate was today.
Old 11 Sep 2021, 19:17 (Ref:4073135)   #45
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
That sprint "race" really sucked. Apart from the first 3 turns, nothing happened.
I seem to have missed the "plenty of action" that Ross Brawn saw.
Maybe Channel 4 just forgot to boadcast that and they just focussed on the boring parts instead?

Last edited by gert; 11 Sep 2021 at 19:31.
Old 11 Sep 2021, 19:32 (Ref:4073136)   #46
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
That sprint "race" reallty sucked. Apart from the first 3 turns, nothing happened.
I seem to have missed the "plenty of action" that Ross Brawn saw.
Maybe Channel 4 just forgot to boadcast that and they just focussed on the boring parts?

I watched it live and I was hoping something was going happen but it never did, apart from the FCY.
Old 12 Sep 2021, 00:11 (Ref:4073183)   #47
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Biding my time in Vandemonia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
I enjoyed it
As far aas im concerned the more racing i ssee on a weekend the happier i am
As they said, otherwise it would have just been an hours fp3.

All those who said i would be a farce coz bottas will just let lewis win... well that didnt happen. Danny ric on front row
George fiinally outqualified by latifi

all in all there was enough of interest
Old 12 Sep 2021, 08:21 (Ref:4073215)   #48
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Bottas drives his heart out to start at the back, although he at least he gets 3 points for his efforts. Max is looking good, but great to see the McLarens up there. The Honey Badger is back to his best which is great to see. I've always said form is temporary, class is permanent. Lewis is really looking on the back foot atm.

What about Giovinazzi, great effort to get into the top 10. As for Gasly, what a difference 12 months makes!
Old 12 Sep 2021, 12:40 (Ref:4073244)   #49
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I watched it live and I was hoping something was going happen but it never did, apart from the FCY.
Silverstone sprint was OK but now the engineers have analysed it , realised what to do , all fundamentally do the same and hey presto dullness in the way of F1. Only rain seems to liven things up on a regular basis - presumably because the Engineers don’t have days to think about it!
Old 12 Sep 2021, 12:46 (Ref:4073246)   #50
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I thought there was enough variation in tire choice yesterday to hopefully effect todays race.

We will see though.