Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 26 May 2004, 15:21 (Ref:983997)   #51
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Now, now children...

What happened on Sunday is NOT why I watch F1. It is, however, why Monaco should stay on the calendar. I watch F1 to see the cars taken to their ultimate limits by the best drivers in the world on the best ciruits in the world. I'd like to see them attempting to pull off the best overtaking moves in the world a bit more often, but you can't have everything. We should celebrate Monaco for its history, its glamour and its uniqueness as an F1 circuit; it throws up incidents and unpredictable results in a way no 'proper' circuit ever could. But it is, and should remain, just one, very different, date on the calendar.
Old 26 May 2004, 15:47 (Ref:984040)   #52
freud
Veteran

freud has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Yes, lets get back to the thread.. as garcon puts it above.

Actually, Monaco GP has always been my favorite. I have been a regular since 1984. May be its the mystic of the place or its wonderful scenery.. the cool breeze or the exceptional atmosphere. I am not quite sure if there is any other place on the planet like Monte Carlo.

I think Monaco GP's are always exceptional because its such an exceptional track. Infact Monaco is the ultimate challenge. That's why we watch F1.. for the ultimate challenge. And in particular the qualifying at Monaco tests the driver and one really has to muscle the car to get a good laptime. That's why I am so impressed with Button, Trulli and Alonso. Those guys really put in a fantastic lap in the qualifying to get the top three positions on the grid. Ferrari has been the best car this season yet failed. The GP was a great treat to everyone who watched and since 'yours truly' was right there in one of the hotels around Rascasse, it was so much more the fun.

I am just glad that this GP has put some life into this, so far, dead season.
Old 26 May 2004, 15:55 (Ref:984045)   #53
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by freud

I think Monaco GP's are always exceptional because its such an exceptional track. Infact Monaco is the ultimate challenge. That's why
Last year it was oner of the most boring races of the season.
Old 26 May 2004, 17:18 (Ref:984131)   #54
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by garcon
Now, now children...

What happened on Sunday is NOT why I watch F1. It is, however, why Monaco should stay on the calendar. I watch F1 to see the cars taken to their ultimate limits by the best drivers in the world on the best ciruits in the world. I'd like to see them attempting to pull off the best overtaking moves in the world a bit more often, but you can't have everything. We should celebrate Monaco for its history, its glamour and its uniqueness as an F1 circuit; it throws up incidents and unpredictable results in a way no 'proper' circuit ever could. But it is, and should remain, just one, very different, date on the calendar.
Garcon, you are a beacon of light in this thread!

The race was certainly interesting and eventful, but it wasn't why I watch F1 either. From a racing point of view I preferred Bahrain, but I do agree with those who say Schuey's laps in the 1:14s were impressive. I don't think he'd have won, but the race would have been even more interesting had he been there at the end.

I'm not a fan of Monaco, but I guess it should stay on the calendar due to the challenge it presents the drivers and because it sometimes throws up a strange race. If all the races were like that it wouldn't be good - too much strategy and not enough wheel-to-wheel action!

Oh, and it's great that we've got a new GP winner!

Last edited by krt917; 26 May 2004 at 17:18.
Old 27 May 2004, 08:36 (Ref:984810)   #55
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by freud
Glen, there is no way we can confirm your age ...
Today is the first day of my fortieth year - and I can assure that I feel it! If anyone wants to think of me as younger I am only to happy to go along with that.
Old 27 May 2004, 08:56 (Ref:984826)   #56
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Of course, there's no way to confirm ANYBODY's age...someone can claim himself to be 90 and nobody would be any wiser.

With the calendar expanding, i won't mind the inclusion of Monaco in the calendar. It's boring if we have a calendar of 18 circuits of identical Barcelona-like characteristics. A mix of character from the slow twisty Monaco to modern F1 complex like Bahrain/Sepang to driver's circuit like Spa to flat out high speed Monza adds to the flavour of racing..and actually increase the chance of a different winner as different circuitss may favour different car/tyre package.

Unfortunately, F1 had increasingly turned to modern circuits for solutions and though they are designed with great facilities and integrated overtaking spots, it meant that the characteristics are the same and hardly much difference...Sepang vs Bahrain...similar aint them?

As to the topic...i won't say "Ah..Monaco..that's why i watch F1", because i've been watching every race irregardless who wins or loses...i watch F1 for competition, not because i like drama-series. Of course, to witness a race with great actions is always a huge huge pleasant bonus.

Last edited by Gt_R; 27 May 2004 at 08:57.
Old 27 May 2004, 15:01 (Ref:985201)   #57
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
speaking of those Schu laps . he had 4 out of the best 5 laps at Monaco . and we still were "robed"(i'm only jonking ) of the next showing it would have been an even greater finish of the race

Ciao Marco
Old 5 Jun 2004, 04:48 (Ref:994435)   #58
Andrew2001
Veteran

New Zealand
Christchurch, New Zealand
Andrew2001 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't agree with Liz taht if we took TGF off the grid we'd have a real championship again, I think that if Todt hired a GOOD driver to partner Schumacher we'd have a real championship.
HIRE VILLENEUVE FOR THE LIFE OF GOD.
Old 5 Jun 2004, 15:56 (Ref:994757)   #59
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yeah..Gilles great!
Old 5 Jun 2004, 16:17 (Ref:994770)   #60
Gt_R
Veteran

Yeah..Gilles great!