Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 31 Dec 2018, 13:00 (Ref:3873274)   #1
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
PAU HISTORIQUE

HVM organised event at the lovely and historic town with it's temporary street circuit.

UK grids to include HGPCA, Formula Junior (non championship) and FF2000 grids. Also to be joined by the enthusiastic I.H.E racers.
Old 11 Apr 2019, 05:20 (Ref:3896724)   #2
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Had a request from a UK based FF racer for car transport to and from this meeting. He’s based in Sussex, but is happy to deliver in the car in S East. If anyone can help, I’ll put you in touch.....
Old 12 Apr 2019, 08:00 (Ref:3896952)   #3
HRSTR5
Racer

England
Surrey, England
HRSTR5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Had a request from a UK based FF racer for car transport to and from this meeting. He’s based in Sussex, but is happy to deliver in the car in S East. If anyone can help, I’ll put you in touch.....
Tom Smith was 'advertising' a couple of spaces via the FJ community, I've no idea if he filled them or not ...
Old 12 Apr 2019, 08:39 (Ref:3896956)   #4
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Mike, may be this team could try and contact the organiser directly. The closest spanish harbor is, as you know, Bilbao. If you have teams competing either in Spain of Portugal may be its worth considering those too.
Old 12 Apr 2019, 16:57 (Ref:3897039)   #5
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Mike, may be this team could try and contact the organiser directly. The closest spanish harbor is, as you know, Bilbao. If you have teams competing either in Spain of Portugal may be its worth considering those too.
I know I am not the brightest spark on here but how is a team based in Spain or Portugal going to help someone based in the UK.
Old 12 Apr 2019, 17:02 (Ref:3897042)   #6
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
My suggestion was is there a team based in the UK racing in Spain or Portugal on a regular basis. Not vice versa… But OK, I see it sounds weird to say the least. Sorry.
Old 12 Apr 2019, 17:22 (Ref:3897047)   #7
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Gerard, This gave me an excuse to post that cracking picture.Makes me laugh. Anyway I can sense moderator telling me off for going off topic.
Old 12 Apr 2019, 17:31 (Ref:3897053)   #8
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Gerard, This gave me an excuse to post that cracking picture.Makes me laugh. Anyway I can sense moderator telling me off for going off topic.
Ahem. So, Mr Rowley, can you ask Tom for me please, as I don’t have his info.....
Old 12 Apr 2019, 18:03 (Ref:3897056)   #9
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Absolutely no worry Iain, I love this picture its really nice and fun. And this is a relaxed forum. My first intention was to suggest a direct contact with HVM, you and Alan do know those people very well. After that it came up to my mind that, for instance, Diogo Ferrao or others may be have cars/team based in UK. And yes, while writing I was wondering if it makes sense or… less sense!
Pau is really far from Calais or Dover and we all know that sometimes transportation can be a hassle.
If you go there, have fun and be safe!
Old 12 Apr 2019, 18:21 (Ref:3897059)   #10
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Mike is certainly the best to find the best route to go. Just for info:
Calais to Pau: 670 Miles, 10 hours
Cherbourg to Pau: 560 Miles, 8.30 hours
Bilbao to Pau: 161 Miles, 2.5 hours. Sorry you'll have to travel into France at least for some… miles!

Because this forum is meant to help, just for you Iain some very important informations. Pau has a lot of history being the town of "Le bon Roy Henry" also said Henri IV. He had no less than FIFTY FOUR mistresses and 27 children officially recorded. The others were said… free practice! An other well known specialty is "Les coucougnettes de Pau", friandise based on almond wrapped in chocolate added of raspberry, ginger and Armagnac. Being coucougnettes, you must eat them by two, one for each cheek.
After eating your first pair just say a native "je viens de me bouffer les coucougnettes, c'est délicieux mais un peu bourratif!". She or he will love you and ask for a selfie!
Old 12 Apr 2019, 18:40 (Ref:3897071)   #11
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
You’ve not mentioned the route we (or at least I), used last time, which was from St Malo to Pau. Portsmouth to St Malo ferry is a bit more money than to Cherbourg or Caen, but that was cancelled out by less tolls and fuel...... I don’t think Bilbao would be cost effective, without checking- Because of the ferry cost.

And sounds like it’s worth going again for the ‘almond wrapped in chocolate with added raspberry, ginger and Armagnac!!! Sounds perfect to me....
Old 12 Apr 2019, 19:37 (Ref:3897081)   #12
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ferry costs (for the privateer) are a mystery. This morning I booked DFDS return Dover-Calais in May for a car, cost me £90 in total and I cursed because if I'd done it 2 days ago I could have saved £20. This evening, thinking about going back for Pau 1 week later, it would cost £300 with a trailer. Quite a hike, so I looked again at the same boats I got the 90 quid crossing on. Price has doubled in 8 hours. How do they justify that??? Yeah, yeah, I know - supply & demand.

Nevertheless, when we were running trucks the price never varied from one month to the next so the deal for Joe Public smacks of exploitation.
Old 12 Apr 2019, 19:53 (Ref:3897083)   #13
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McKay View Post
Ferry costs (for the privateer) are a mystery. .......... Yeah, yeah, I know - supply & demand.

Nevertheless, when we were running trucks the price never varied from one month to the next so the deal for Joe Public smacks of exploitation.

And they have even given it a nice touchy/feely name - dynamic pricing. And iit's the same with the airlines.
Old 12 Apr 2019, 20:08 (Ref:3897086)   #14
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Ferry costs (for the privateer) are a mystery. This morning I booked DFDS return Dover-Calais in May for a car, cost me £90 in total and I cursed because if I'd done it 2 days ago I could have saved £20. This evening, thinking about going back for Pau 1 week later, it would cost £300 with a trailer. Quite a hike, so I looked again at the same boats I got the 90 quid crossing on. Price has doubled in 8 hours. How do they justify that??? Yeah, yeah, I know - supply & demand.

Probably been taking lessons from the train companies.

I recently took a train from Doncaster to Derby - well, 2 trains in the end.

The one way price for the whole route via Sheffield was a tad under £23 iirc.

Doncaster to Sheffield was £5.20 and Sheffield to Derby £12.20. Or £12.30 Sheffield - Derby and return.

A week later heading back I checked the price the day before and saw £12.70 for Derby to Doncaster. It was still the same price the next morning as I got on the bus so I bought an e-ticket as I travelled to the station.

I rather suspect that they have a computer program that is just fed with random numbers and set accept and publish any price that comes from the calculation so long as it fits within certain upper and lower bounds.

Much the same sort of system that HMG uses to 'calculate' the rate of inflation.
Old 12 Apr 2019, 20:25 (Ref:3897088)   #15
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Being coucougnettes, you must eat them by two, one for each cheek.
After eating your first pair just say a native "je viens de me bouffer les coucougnettes, c'est délicieux mais un peu bourratif!". She or he will love you and ask for a selfie!
Google translates bourratif as 'stodgy'.

Other sources tend to refer to 'filling' - presumably in a food sense.

However, trying to discover more about the delicacy I inadvertently stumbled across this video. (NSFW?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEalDiDv1eg

Hmm.
Old 12 Apr 2019, 20:30 (Ref:3897089)   #16
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Ferry costs (for the privateer) are a mystery. This morning I booked DFDS return Dover-Calais in May for a car, cost me £90 in total and I cursed because if I'd done it 2 days ago I could have saved £20. This evening, thinking about going back for Pau 1 week later, it would cost £300 with a trailer. Quite a hike, so I looked again at the same boats I got the 90 quid crossing on. Price has doubled in 8 hours. How do they justify that??? Yeah, yeah, I know - supply & demand. Nevertheless, when we were running trucks the price never varied from one month to the next so the deal for Joe Public smacks of exploitation.
I read somewhere about clearing browser history after being on some websites, because if it recognised you when returning, the price would be higher.....

But you’re right, freight prices seem to be fixed for the season, except for the emissions / fuel ‘surcharge’ that can vary a small percentage.
Old 13 Apr 2019, 05:31 (Ref:3897151)   #17
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Grant to go with you and this excellent training video for nurses and flying bimbos, please accept a french lesson. I dont say accept a french letter. Learn more about coucougnettes: take two stars from the forum, Delta and Colin my hero, take a fookin electric trouble affecting your car after a 20 thousands miles travel. Find the said gremlin when the races are over…*And you obtain a very well known french sentence which could be said with Iain's accent: "C'est un truc Ã* se bouffer les couilles!"
See what I mean?
Old 13 Apr 2019, 05:38 (Ref:3897152)   #18
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Mike they do what is supposed to be illegal, known as IP tracking. In fact, once you're connected every single information is recorded. Dont forget the first thing you do after purchasing a computer is to enter your personal data… Even a change of the HD won't cure that.
Surprisingly My Lady is back from London I'll ask her how to avoid at least IP tracking… You will be suggested to use Tor or to start your purchase at home and finish it at your office. Not very much helpful in your case!
Old 13 Apr 2019, 06:27 (Ref:3897160)   #19
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
So, back to my question. Still looking for transport for one FF. Nothing to do with me personally, just trying to help a racer friend of a friend......

If Iain or anyone can give me Tom Smith’s contact details, I’ll ask him.
Old 13 Apr 2019, 07:12 (Ref:3897167)   #20
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
On the case Mike .
Old 13 Apr 2019, 08:07 (Ref:3897174)   #21
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Thanks! Just found Tom’s email so have asked....
Old 8 May 2019, 04:03 (Ref:3902544)   #22
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Latest Timetable...

https://www.hvmracing.fr/wp-content/...ue-2019_V2.pdf
Old 8 May 2019, 16:43 (Ref:3902669)   #23
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
People keep telling e this will e the very last race meeting at Pau . What do you know Gerrard .
Old 8 May 2019, 16:53 (Ref:3902671)   #24
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just found this thread-sorry can t help-am only a spectator but have been to Pau at least three times for F2/F3000-is a beautiful place-hope you get some thing sorted out! Had thought I might be able to organiise a trip until I realised it was on the same weekend as Monaco,Indianapolis
Old 8 May 2019, 19:22 (Ref:3902688)   #25
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Iain, this kind of announcement has been done several times about Pau circuit en ville. Often its about politics, environment, greens, and stuff. Matter of fact, it brings a lot of money to this area. By experience I can tell you how much complicated it is to hold a meeting there. You need to rent a lot of people to check spectators, several entries, several competitors areas…
There seem to be a more serious threaten on another french track, the nice Ledenon located near Nîmes. The once to be used anti clockwise in France. Really a nice place to have fun.
PS I say Pau circuit en ville because there's another track named Pau-Arnos located few miles away from Pau town.