Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 27 Sep 2018, 19:42 (Ref:3853023)   #16
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Totally understand the point.

To be fair, we have the technology to allow a combustion engine to run at it's most efficient point at almost 100% of the time - that's what a CVT gearbox is for. When Williams tested that it was rumoured that even during the first on-track tests, it was several seconds a lap faster. Some electric motor advantages are genuine, whilst some are because the equivalent technology for an ICE has been banned. We'd get improved fuel and performance from ICE if we opened up the regulations in that regard.

I totally accept the point that the noise is a by-product, but I do think these things are important. Visuals are also a by-product, but that doesn't stop regulations outlawing stupid nub noises, stepped noises and similar odd appendages on F1 cars. There's no reason for dealing with that other than aesthetics, and noise is a type of aesthetic. I honestly don't have a problem with some sort of regulations which help improve the aesthetics. But even ignoring that, the current regulations aren't great for diversity. The GT regulations heavily favour smaller engines with turbos - so losing the sound is a by-product of decreased diversity allowed by the regulations, which is a shame.

My problem with the lack of sound isn't that we'll lose it from one car. It's that we'll lose it from all cars. Less atmosphere, less diversity and less personality.

In regards to Audi, the fuel cell stuff is interesting because they aren't pushing that in road cars as far as I'm aware. So unless there are projects in Audi they aren't talking publically about (although they do tend to talk about these publically, to show positive steps post dieselgate), then I'm surprised Audi would look at that for racing.
Old 27 Sep 2018, 22:00 (Ref:3853043)   #17
Adam43
14th
20KPINAL

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yes CVT, could help that for an ICE. Still need a complicated gearbox, but it gets you there. Thing is that would probably have a detrimental impact on the sound appreciation stakes.

I totally agree with what you say visuals and the parallels there too. There are cars that are very beautiful and it has come from form following function. That has been depiminished by regulations. The form can’t breathe because of the boxes it is too.

Also on visuals there is a similar example as the exhaust. All these styling vents we get nowadays that don’t actually do anything. These are awful. Now some extra louvres in a bonnet because the thing will over heat without is great, ducting on new Jags that is actually blanked off, pathetic.

Not commenting on Audi specifically, but all solutions are still possible at the moment. BEV may be the favoured at the moment, but that’s because it is more developed (car and infrastructure) at present. Who knows what the future brings?

Other than it’ll be worse, obviously
Old 28 Sep 2018, 09:38 (Ref:3853081)   #18
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Another advantage of the fuel cell is that you can use electric motors and the inherent advantages of those (torque, drivetrain). Managed properly you can also extract the power from the fuel in the most efficient way. Whereas a combustion engine rarely runs at its most efficient point.

When you are making a race car the designers ask themselves if they want a louder noise of a faster car. Actually they donít even ask because they inherently go for the latter.

I love the noise, but I only love it when it is an unintended consequence of the production of power. My road car has an exhaust setting. It makes no difference to the performance of the car, but just makes the exhaust louder and poppy and bangy. Itís stupid. I donít appreciate that noise.

On the hobby car I fitted a different exhaust. Gets me a few horses. It also makes it louder. The unintended consequence is excellent here. I appreciate it.

I hope I am getting my point across. The noise appeals, but donít set the regulations for the benefit of the noise. Thatís backwards.
+1
Old 28 Sep 2018, 10:10 (Ref:3853085)   #19
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSodemo should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSodemo should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSodemo should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
In an ideal world, all propulsion types would be viable. The move towards turbo charged engines is only happening because the rules dictate that it gives them a performance advantage over naturally aspirated engines. If the rules were written in a way that it didn't give an advantage, you would still see NA engines being competitive.

For example, if a turbo engine had this configuration;
V6 Twin Turbo 1.8L - Fuel tank = 50L, Chassis weight 950kg

And an NA car had this;
V10 3.0L - Fuel tank = 65L, Chassis weight 900kg

...we would still see NA competing and being competitive, but no, thats not what the ACO want. They want people to move to turbo charging and alternative fuels etc.
Old 28 Sep 2018, 12:22 (Ref:3853109)   #20
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
In an ideal world, all propulsion types would be viable. The move towards turbo charged engines is only happening because the rules dictate that it gives them a performance advantage over naturally aspirated engines. If the rules were written in a way that it didn't give an advantage, you would still see NA engines being competitive.

For example, if a turbo engine had this configuration;
V6 Twin Turbo 1.8L - Fuel tank = 50L, Chassis weight 950kg

And an NA car had this;
V10 3.0L - Fuel tank = 65L, Chassis weight 900kg

...we would still see NA competing and being competitive, but no, thats not what the ACO want. They want people to move to turbo charging and alternative fuels etc.
But whichever engine gives the team the advantage will be run and the others abandoned. It's not the rules but the efficiency of modelling that leads us down the road of singular engine answers. Teams don't have to test out the engines, they know what will meet the rules before any metal parts are made.
It was fun while it lasted, have enjoyed the people I've met but the measuring contests and arguments over who's more insider and who's smarter has just made it not worth the effort any longer. It should be fun, not work and it's just work to find actual information.
Old 28 Sep 2018, 16:48 (Ref:3853152)   #21
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

EffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsedEffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post

This is painfully untrue
Old 28 Sep 2018, 21:23 (Ref:3853178)   #22
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, audi may be back in 2022, but don't think WEC will last so long....