Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today


Spa Six Hours
Calendar: Historic Racing
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
 
14 Sep 2018 to 16 Sep 2018 07:00 to 17:00
*The times shown may change, depending on DST settings
Location: Spa Francorchamps

The legend that is the Spa 6hrs race for FIA pre ‘66 saloons and GTs. Usually attracts well over 100 entries and lots of British spectators.....

Also includes-
Motor Racing Legends: Pre-War Sports Cars; Royal Automobile Club Woodcote Trophy; Stirling Moss Trophy;

Masters grids x 5.

HSCC closed wheel combined grid.

Formula Junior.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Sep 2018, 13:08 (Ref:3851256)   #136
Juha
Rookie
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Belgium
Belgium
Posts: 27
Juha should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
C'est bien ce que j'avais trouvé, et je ne voyais absolument pas de critique négative.
Juha is offline  
Quote
Old 18 Sep 2018, 13:28 (Ref:3851260)   #137
retrognome
Racer
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location:
UK
Posts: 358
retrognome should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretrognome should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBinfield View Post
Light metallic green E-Type, think I have seen it run in GTSCC previously. It was being loaded onto a trailer as I arrived back at the circuit on Sunday. I asked after the driver and was informed they were "not good". Didn't wish to pry any further - hopefully there is some positive news soon. Side impact into a concrete wall at considerable speed is never going to result in a particularly pleasant outcome for the driver.


On a lighter note, we had a great time at Spa - as always the highlight of the season. Qualified P97 (15th in class), avoiding the chaos as we went, and ended up P46 (6th in class). We were into the 3:13's this year, and the best sectors put us in a 3:12 - not bad for a bit of old Welsh fibreglass! Sadly the prolonged safety car period took up most of my stint, but I enjoyed playing with a few 911's and a not so fast Grantura in the final few laps.Counting down the days until next year now
This must be you enjoying youreslf. Copyright Peter Baker (www.retro-speed.co.uk)
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_6268_2.JPG  
retrognome is offline  
__________________
Peter Baker reporting historic motor sport full time
Quote
Old 18 Sep 2018, 14:42 (Ref:3851275)   #138
Mike Bell
Race Official
Veteran
 
Mike Bell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Posts: 11,063
Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!
Thank you for the pics, Guys!

On a different note- Reading through comments, from our experiences at the time, and from what was said by others at the circuit, the new qualifying format was a disaster. I can only think it was changed from the normal daylight qually, followed by an untimed night session to set lights or get acclimatised, to fit in an extra grid- Masters Endurance Legends.

I sincerely hope the format is not repeated!

Other disappointment- once again due to timetable delays the race started 30 minutes late. Not satisfactory when competitors have paid for 6hrs and most calculated their fuel requirements accordingly! OK, the latter can be adjusted during the race, but you get my point.....
Mike Bell is offline  
__________________
Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere. (Einstein)
Quote
Old 18 Sep 2018, 16:23 (Ref:3851290)   #139
MGDavid
Veteran
 
MGDavid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
England
Berkshire
Posts: 3,219
MGDavid has a real shot at the championship!MGDavid has a real shot at the championship!MGDavid has a real shot at the championship!MGDavid has a real shot at the championship!MGDavid has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
...........
Other disappointment- once again due to timetable delays the race started 30 minutes late. Not satisfactory when competitors have paid for 6hrs and most calculated their fuel requirements accordingly! OK, the latter can be adjusted during the race, but you get my point.....
Agreed; actual start was 16:36 and the chequered flag out at 21:55. There were 5 safety car periods totalling 110 minutes so just under 3 1/2 hours of actual racing. Not sure what the attrition rate would be if flat out for 6 hours!
MGDavid is offline  
__________________
a salary slave no more...
Quote
Old 18 Sep 2018, 19:47 (Ref:3851315)   #140
delta
Subscriber
Veteran
 
delta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
United Kingdom
Reading UK
Posts: 6,855
delta should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddelta should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddelta should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thank you for the picture Juha . 😀
delta is offline  
Quote
Old 18 Sep 2018, 21:07 (Ref:3851328)   #141
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 4,675
grantp should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Thank you for the pics, Guys!

On a different note- Reading through comments, from our experiences at the time, and from what was said by others at the circuit, the new qualifying format was a disaster. I can only think it was changed from the normal daylight qually, followed by an untimed night session to set lights or get acclimatised, to fit in an extra grid- Masters Endurance Legends.

I sincerely hope the format is not repeated!

Other disappointment- once again due to timetable delays the race started 30 minutes late. Not satisfactory when competitors have paid for 6hrs and most calculated their fuel requirements accordingly! OK, the latter can be adjusted during the race, but you get my point.....

Mike,


I thought it was a tradition that it only lasts about 5 1/2 hours.


However the safety car periods seem to have been unfortunately long compared to usual.
grantp is offline  
Quote
Old 19 Sep 2018, 06:10 (Ref:3851369)   #142
Mike Bell
Race Official
Veteran
 
Mike Bell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Posts: 11,063
Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Mike, I thought it was a tradition that it only lasts about 5 1/2 hours.

However the safety car periods seem to have been unfortunately long compared to usual.
I'm still a bit of a newbie, having only done the race 5 times, but this was the shortest yet. The circuit does have a curfew, so however late the race starts, it has to finish on time. IMHO the organisers need to work on the timetable a bit. At the briefing they blamed last year's late start on competitors being slow to get onto the grid. This year we were 1/2 hr late being allowed onto the grid, so don't think we could have done any more!
Mike Bell is offline  
__________________
Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere. (Einstein)
Quote
Old 19 Sep 2018, 09:56 (Ref:3851398)   #143
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 4,675
grantp should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
I'm still a bit of a newbie, having only done the race 5 times, but this was the shortest yet. The circuit does have a curfew, so however late the race starts, it has to finish on time. IMHO the organisers need to work on the timetable a bit. At the briefing they blamed last year's late start on competitors being slow to get onto the grid. This year we were 1/2 hr late being allowed onto the grid, so don't think we could have done any more!
I was there with the Delta crew some years back and as I recall the race started about 20+ minutes late then and maybe finished, effectively, a few minutes early.

I think I've looked at the results for most years - maybe all years - since then and as far as I recall the pattern has always been much the same give or take a few minutes.

Of course if one was running a potentially winning car with a high fuel consumption and wished to try to avoid at least one fuel stop the shortened race and a few safety car laps might not be considered a bad thing - at least in concept. Especially if the driving team was adept at night racing.


grantp is offline  
Quote
Old 19 Sep 2018, 14:58 (Ref:3851434)   #144
retrognome
Racer
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location:
UK
Posts: 358
retrognome should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretrognome should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Nick Sleep/Joel Wykeham/Alex Montgomery Ford Shelby Mustang 350GT lighting up the entry into the 'Bus Stop. Image copyright Peter Baker
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_8961.JPG  
retrognome is offline  
__________________
Peter Baker reporting historic motor sport full time
Quote
Old 22 Sep 2018, 12:13 (Ref:3851946)   #145
dwh43scale
Racer
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
United Kingdom
In exile from Derbyshire in t'South
Posts: 210
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
First couple of albums from last weekend on Flickr covering F1 and Endurance. Six Hours album to follow soon.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmsoGukm

https://flic.kr/s/aHskEUFFbT
dwh43scale is offline  
Quote
Old 9 Oct 2018, 16:08 (Ref:3855691)   #146
SamBinfield
Rookie
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
United Kingdom
Ludwigsburg, DE
Posts: 40
SamBinfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by retrognome View Post
This must be you enjoying youreslf. Copyright Peter Baker (www.retro-speed.co.uk)

Thanks for the photo Peter! I have a request to pass on from the Gilbern Owners Club, who would like to reproduce this image in their magazine, accompanying a race report (properly credited of course). Would this be agreeable, and furthermore could we have a high-res copy of the image?


Unfortunately one of the downsides to the "night shift" is that there are very few photos from my stint. Does anyone know who the photographers are that frequent La Source? I was blinded by camera flash pretty much every lap, so there must be some pictures hosted somewhere
SamBinfield is offline  
Quote
Old 21 Nov 2018, 13:03 (Ref:3864738)   #147
dwh43scale
Racer
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
United Kingdom
In exile from Derbyshire in t'South
Posts: 210
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
https://flic.kr/s/aHsmwfyrAg

Finally, finally, got my Spa Six Hours gallery completed. Includes among other things a flaming Mustang, delta and an illuminated Gilbern. There's probably other 10/10ths'ers in there as well.

Albums for supporting races can be found here -
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dwh38/albums
dwh43scale is offline  
Quote
Old 29 Nov 2018, 10:23 (Ref:3866809)   #148
retrognome
Racer
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location:
UK
Posts: 358
retrognome should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretrognome should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBinfield View Post
Thanks for the photo Peter! I have a request to pass on from the Gilbern Owners Club, who would like to reproduce this image in their magazine, accompanying a race report (properly credited of course). Would this be agreeable, and furthermore could we have a high-res copy of the image?


Unfortunately one of the downsides to the "night shift" is that there are very few photos from my stint. Does anyone know who the photographers are that frequent La Source? I was blinded by camera flash pretty much every lap, so there must be some pictures hosted somewhere
Apologies, I overlooked this post, if its not to late contact pwb@retro-speed.co.uk
retrognome is offline  
__________________
Peter Baker reporting historic motor sport full time
Quote
Reply

Bookmarks




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Six Hours Of Spa 2003 PaulSands Motorsport Art & Photography 2 18 Sep 2003 17:32
Six Hours Of Spa 2003 PaulSands Historic Racing Today 4 18 Sep 2003 10:24
Six Hours of Spa-Francorchamps PaulSands Motorsport Art & Photography 3 3 Sep 2003 11:27
Spa six hours . . . . . .a joyous weekend zefarelly Historic Racing Today 7 24 Sep 2002 11:57


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 03:09.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Original Website Copyright © 1998-2003 Craig Antil. All Rights Reserved.
Ten-Tenths Motorsport Forums Copyright © 2004-2018 Royalridge Computing. All Rights Reserved.